• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted : The Nathan Drake Collection 1080p/60fps footage+demo coming this summer

Shin-Ra

I'm looking at that part and seeing the bigger, scruffier flaps of hair just like he had in Uncharted 2, not the neater arrangement in Uncharted 3 - see tree pic.

P6PHrbQ.jpg

SSReborn

I'm looking at that part and seeing the bigger, scruffier flaps of hair just like he had in Uncharted 2, not the neater arrangement in Uncharted 3 - see tree pic.
I don't know of its that detailed (like same exact detailing as the third games Drake) and then again that is a different shot with a whole different lighting altogether.

But this is the vid I used to watch and compare and I noticed it almost immediately

https://youtu.be/8vPdywhg87U

At about 9:40

DirtyLarry

All this video proved to me was UC3 always looked damn good and actually before the remaster holds up to some quote on quote "current gen" titles.
Remastered it looks even better, which is only a good thing.

Perhaps I am biased, as Uncharted was easily my favorite overall (console) series of last generation.
I already have the collection and UC4 preordered digitally.
I have only purchased 3 other games digitally this generation. I tend to stick to physical so I can trade games in.
No need for these games. I will own them forever, and be quite damn happy that I do.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Like The Last of Us the transition from PS3 to PS4 appears very similar to fairly basic last generation console-to-PC ports where the major differences are simply upgrades to resolution, texture quality/filtering, and sampling rate of various effects.

Which is great, as it highlights how fucking significant these things have always been, even for titles that are technically "dated".

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Like The Last of Us the transition from PS3 to PS4 appears very similar to fairly basic last generation console-to-PC ports where the major differences are simply upgrades to resolution, texture quality/filtering, and sampling rate of various effects.

Which is great, as it highlights how fucking significant these things have always been, even for titles that are technically "dated".

Yeah, I see people saying "is that all theyre doing?" when a remaster thread pops up and I am like "what else do you fucking expect?"

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Some games are not meant for 60fps. Seeing that footage of Uncharted 2 in 60fps really takes away from the cinematic feel the game is trying to accomplish. Or maybe I'm just spouting nonsense and it is just a matter of getting used to it again.

Definitely! 60fps is always better, no matter the game or genre.

Skux

Even the GoW3 remaster is just a cleaner IQ and a solid frame rate, and it makes a world of difference. It's the same feeling as a good PC port running exceptionally on powerful hardware.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Stop using that phrase.

Games aren't movies. Games don't render motion like movies or a movie camera both which have features that give motion blur that games can't hope to touch in our lifetimes.
This is academically true, but holds much less practical value nowadays than he's trying to make it sound. It is after all heavily blurred information accumulated over the portion of time on film, and advanced post process techniques (like in TO1886 especially) simulate that look so well that I can't personally tell much of any difference unless I analyze freeze frames. His arguing is akin that of "you can't ever calculate complete Pi number!" when in real world for any practical purpose, including space flight, 16 or so decimals of Pi are enough.

Also, while yes, 60FPS games are technically better to play due to faster visual information update and control response times, this again only really matters in practice if the game demands and rewards the kind of precision gained by this.

It is also (to me at least) undeniable that 30FPS with motion blur, similar as seen on film, does create a special kind of surreal look, the kind of look that doesn't mirror motion seen in real world entirely, but just enough to leave more to imagination - and I see nothing wrong with liking that kind of look, especially if the playability of the game doesn't notably suffer for it.

All that said, I can't wait to try these remasters at 60FPS, but I hope they include the 30FPS option like in TLOU:R, but with correct motion blur setting (unlike the botched setting of TLOU:R 30FPS mode)

I can tell a big difference in the lighting from the footage as well.

complete overhauls like Halo and Gears?

They're going to completely overhaul 3 games for a *remaster* package? Those are called remakes.

These games are gorgeous to begin with, this is definitely going to a great package.

Like most people, I'm most curious about how UC1 is going to turn out, as it doesn't quite match up to the other two.

It's a remaster, not a remake. Judge by what it its, not what you want it to be. Looks really good for a remaster.

i agree

They're going to completely overhaul 3 games for a *remaster* package? Those are called remakes.

These games are gorgeous to begin with, this is definitely going to a great package.

Like most people, I'm most curious about how UC1 is going to turn out, as it doesn't quite match up to the other two.

im also curios about UC1 especially if they change it up to play more like the sequels.

You know, I think the main reason I'll get this is for Drake's Fortune. Just started a fresh run through today and yikes. . . I'll get through it but it needs a lot of work.

The other two are still prefectly payable, but to play DF PS3 you need some nostalgia love.

Alo0oy

Banned
complete overhauls like Halo and Gears?

Which Halo are you talking about? H2 Anniversary? Because that game is an original Xbox game, if you're talking about H3 & H4 (the only comparable ones here), afaik Halo 3 was fine, & Halo 4 ran like dogshit. Neither games received as good a treatment as TLOU.

As for Gears, Gears is ugly even compared to UC1, & the equivalent to Gears 1 isn't UC2 & UC3, it's Drake's Fortune, & we haven't seen footage of that game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
You know, I think the main reason I'll get this is for Drake's Fortune. Just started a fresh run through today and yikes. . . I'll get through it but it needs a lot of work.

The other two are still prefectly payable, but to play DF PS3 you need some nostalgia love.

I expect the reason they're showing 2 first is because much of the time left will be working on Drake's Fortune. By showing 2 they can demonstrate the upgrade in character quality to Uncharted 3 levels and the improved framerate while they plug away at the first game.

GnawtyDog

Banned
I expect the reason they're showing 2 first is because much of the time left will be working on Drake's Fortune. By showing 2 they can demonstrate the upgrade in character quality to Uncharted 3 levels and the improved framerate while they plug away at the first game.

We'll see how it turns out. Hopefully the muted colors here are something they work on.

Which Halo are you talking about? H2 Anniversary? Because that game is an original Xbox game, if you're talking about H3 & H4 (the only comparable ones here), afaik Halo 3 was fine, & Halo 4 ran like dogshit. Neither games received as good a treatment as TLOU.

As for Gears, Gears is ugly even compared to UC1, & the equivalent to Gears 1 isn't UC2 & UC3, it's Drake's Fortune, & we haven't seen footage of that game.

i had no problems with either Halo 3 or 4 but okay

When i used Gears as an example i was talking about how MS chose to rebuild the game from the ground up graphics and all which is what people expect from remasters now a days.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yep, this is probably the case. They simply aren't ready to show UC1 just yet and that's probably for the better since the Internet will likely blow up if it doesn't look like it was made today.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
When i used Gears as an example i was talking about how MS chose to rebuild the game from the ground up graphics and all which is what people expect from remasters now a days.
I disagree completely.

Most reasonable people expect higher Rez textures, resolution bumped to 1080p and at minimum a rock stable 30 fps, preferably 60.

That's what people expect in a remaster.
Not being "rebuilt from the ground up"

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
i had no problems with either Halo 3 or 4 but okay

He's right - Halo 4 had pretty bad framerate compared to TLOU:R.
I'm not sure if you're right that people expect complete rebuild from a remaster. Gears is very much an exception to the norm. It's a remake, and it's in fact criticized by lots of people who are not happy with the massively changed art direction. It does seem like you literally can't win them all when it comes to these things. Someone's always going to end up unhappy with what is being done. I personally think that what's being done to UC and TLOU:R is the best possible option. Iron out the kinks and polish the existing visuals to nines, but don't go changing everything about the game's look. If you start doing that, at that point it seems like the effort would better be placed on developing an entirely new game.

Biker19

Banned
Wow, rerendered cutscenes as well? Almost glad there is no multiplayer included so I don't have the urge to buy this digitally. The data size of this must be massive.

They probably have a hard time rewriting the code for multiplayer.

But why need multiplayer for either UC 1-3 when we have it for UC 4?

Pretty "eh", but that's mostly because of how great it already looked. People who think its the same should go back and play the game on PS3 and then check this video. It definitely looks better.

I'm pretty eh because of how Uncharted 4 spoiled me graphically. I definitely can't wait for this though as its the only game I'm getting along with Need for Speed this fall.

Best wishes.

ShutterMunster

Perhaps I was expecting too much from it, but I wasn't really impressed by that footage or the screenshots. I also recently played UC2 via PS Now. Hoping the Drake's Fortune remaster is more pronounced. This looks like a smaller jump than TLOU PS3-PS4, which was instantly noticeable to me.

Biker19

Banned
Perhaps I was expecting too much from it, but I wasn't really impressed by that footage or the screenshots. I also recently played UC2 via PS Now. Hoping the Drake's Fortune remaster is more pronounced. This looks like a smaller jump than TLOU PS3-PS4, which was instantly noticeable to me.

To be honest, I wouldn't expect a huge, full leap of either Uncharted 2 or 3.

Uncharted 1, Drake's Fortune? Now that's the game that absolutely needs a full leap, as that's the only UC game between the three that didn't exactly take full advantage of the SPU's of the Cell Processor from PS3.

Hoje0308

Banned
To be honest, I wouldn't expect a huge, full leap of either Uncharted 2 or 3.

Uncharted 1, Drake's Fortune? Now that's the game that needs a full leap, as that's the only UC game between the three that didn't exactly take full advantage of the SPU's of the Cell Processor from PS3.

That and DF suffered from a ridiculous amount of screen tearing, which should be fixed.

jonnyp

That fireball looks like a tangerine with chickenpox.

On a side note, I don't think Uncharted DF will hold up nearly as good as the latter two games in the series. Any PS3 owners back in 2007 who originally played Uncharted? Not people who played it after U2 blew up.

I love the first Uncharted. Can't wait to replay it in 1080p60fps!

Elginer

Looking sharp. Glad I have this pre-ordered. Never got to finish 2 so that'll be a treat. What got me over the edge is that U4 MP beta. I sincerely hope the MP is more like 2 than 3.

Some games are not meant for 60fps. Seeing that footage of Uncharted 2 in 60fps really takes away from the cinematic feel the game is trying to accomplish. Or maybe I'm just spouting nonsense and it is just a matter of getting used to it again.

The opening tanker sequence in MGS2 is still the most cinematic set-pieces in gaming history and that sequence was running at 60fps, from the PS2.

I disagree completely.

Most reasonable people expect higher Rez textures, resolution bumped to 1080p and at minimum a rock stable 30 fps, preferably 60.

That's what people expect in a remaster.
Not being "rebuilt from the ground up"

I probably should of said most people that complain and say if that's all they are doing with remasters.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I honestly don't think it looks too far off The Last of Us in terms of overall port quality. TLOU:R is gorgeous, but still looks distinctly like what you'd expect from a last generation game moved over to current generation hardware. Again the last-generation-PC-build analogy is applicable. The art elevates it, asset quality is generally great, but still overall a last generation game in scene density/geometry, encounter/scenario scale, and complexity of various rendering technologies.

A similar approach is being taken to the Uncharted trilogy, but it's probably worth keeping in mind the various technology improvements and artistic differences between those titles as they were on the PS3, especially relative to The Last of Us, which was arguably the peak of Naughty Dog's technical accomplishments. They're also stylistically different; The Last of Us' greater emphasis on realistic textures and tones and rubble/busier scenes benefits tremendously fro resolution and texture quality improvements. On the other hand Uncharted has almost always had a pretty clean, colourful, vibrant look that was very well suited to the strengths and limitations of last generation hardware.

Uncharted 2 is by far my favourite of the three, but I'm more interested in seeing how Uncharted 3 looks. That game will really benefit from IQ and framerate improvements.

Has this been seen? PS Blog Hands On: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/07/15/hands-on-uncharted-the-nathan-drake-collection-on-ps4/

I know, it's a biased preview, but this part is interesting for people worrying about visuals:

Also this:
ZJn3cA9.png

I guess if you did not like Elena's look in Drake's Deception, you'll have to get used to it in Drake's Fortune and Among Thieves. I'm glad it sounds like the Drake's Fortune models are getting an upgrade though. They sort of looked liked plastic dolls the last time I played it.
Oh God, please no...

I love Uncharted 2, but I hate the Nate model in U3... I seriously might not buy this if they changed the model....

Putty

Looks exactly how i imagined it would. Texture rez bump, shadow bump, draw distance bump, double framerate.....The footage shown isn't one of the best to showcase it all either. Can't bloody wait!

Also, the KZ2 stuff posted a few pages back makes me think what a KZ2 and 3 double bill would look like!!

pottuvoi

Banned
Really hope they will add the ambient shadow techniques from TLoU.
Currently objects and characters are really not well grounded on shadowed regions.

Good AA solution would be nice as well, none of the Uncharted were good in terms of image stability. (especially U3)

Top Bottom