• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted : The Nathan Drake Collection 1080p/60fps footage+demo coming this summer

Shin-Ra

Honestly its one of the things i hope they change. A grenade exploding does not look like a fucking nuclear bombs mushroom cloud. Lol. I like it has volume. It just looks horrible.
Flat explosions look horrible and Drake's Fortune has highly stylised, saturated painted textures.

Uncharted 2 and 3 should gain volumetric explosions tweaked to match their slightly more realistic art.

KORNdoggy

I too expect realism in my zombie shooter

I do too considering everything else looks realistic. Its isn't a case of suspending disbelief, it's about a badly implimented particle effect.

Ideally i'd like something volumetric like what was in killzone 2 or what's in uncharted 4. But i suspect we won't be getting tweeks as extensive as those.

jett

D-Member
Youtube 60fps never looks quite right to me.

Watching video on a browser just blows, at least on Windows it does. If you want to watch that footage be actually smooth, you'll have to download it and watch it on your favorite media player.

Shin-Ra

I do too considering everything else looks realistic. Its isn't a case of suspending disbelief, it's about a badly implimented particle effect.

Ideally i'd like something volumetric like what was in killzone 2 or what's in uncharted 4. But i suspect we won't be getting tweeks as extensive as those.
Killzone 2's volumetric explosions (from rockets and such) were pretty angular and not exactly realistic compared to Drake's Fortune's.

Looks great..the texture upgrades look like a big step up even on a game that already looked pretty great.....not sure why some people are complaining... not really sure what some companies need to do to get people to be happy with remasters :(

Already pre-ordered this and will enjoy playing all three again over Xmas (I've stopped myself from replaying them again on the theory they were coming to PS4 and very happy they are).

Really want to see UC1 - because i think that will be where changes would need to be done moreso than the over two games.

KORNdoggy

Killzone 2's volumetric explosions (from rockets and such) were pretty angular and not exactly realistic compared to Drake's Fortune's.

One looked like smoke created by a grenade. The other looked like a miniature nuke. Killzone was vastly more realistic. Both had volume, but one was badly done. But please highlight this "angular" smoke in killzone?

http://youtu.be/-6kdLNGncNI Killzone 2/3 smoke

http://youtu.be/AJxm_QCro6w Actual grenade

There is no slow burning "explosion" with a slow mushroom like cloud raising up into the heavens...it's all very smokey.

robotrock

Banned

Agreed. I'm keeping my expectations low, but it'd be so neat if Uncharted 1 actually got some kind of an overhaul like they say it will.

That footage is worrisome. The remarkably high quality motion blur Uncharted 2 was known for appears to be completely absent.

The video is 30fps. The original game was also 30fps and very stable.

From this 30fps video it looks like a downgrade due to missing post-effects.

The YouTube video offers 720p60fps and 1080p60fps quality options to see the game in action on the PS4

Are we really nitpicking explosions now?

In a movie when an entire city block blows up its probably not very realistic of what would happen in real life but it's done for effect. Uncharted games are similar so I don't really care if a grenade exploding is realistic or not

If anything what has always felt unrealistic in an uncharted game for me has been the hundreds of henchmen I have to contend with

Oersted

In a movie when an entire city block blows up its probably not very realistic of what would happen in real life but it's done for effect. Uncharted games are similar so I don't really care if a grenade exploding is realistic or not

If anything what has always felt unrealistic in an uncharted game for me has been the hundreds of henchmen I have to contend with

Never read a Transformers/GI Joe review?

Shin-Ra

One looked like smoke created by a grenade. The other looked like a miniature nuke. Killzone was vastly more realistic. Both had volume, but one was badly done. But please highlight this "angular" smoke in killzone?

There is no slow burning "explosion" with a slow mushroom like cloud raising up into the heavens...it's all very smokey.
Why do you think Naughty Dog were trying to make a photorealistic explosion in Drake's Fortune? The rest of the game isn't trying to look that realistic.

I think the explosions differ depending on the explosive but even those that do create a significant polygonal volume of fire, the yellow 'dome' flashes and contracts so quickly you barely get to appreciate it and it's surrounded by a bunch of flat looking particles.

edit: The KZ2 Leipzig G|C multiplayer trailer's the clearest footage I could find of the rocket explosions which linger a bit longer, but I slowed it down to make it clearer.

KZ2_LGC.gif

As soon as the bloom fades away enough so you can see the fiery orb, it's not any more realistic than Drake's Fortune's. It just disappears so quickly you rarely notice it.

KORNdoggy

Frankly i just want visual consistency. For a series so focused on the details (drakes shirt creases when he walks...kinda says it all). It's always been a detail that stood out as wrong.

But at any rate i'm sure the shitty DF explosions will return anyway, seeing as it seems to just be an upres, texture boost and framerate boost remaster. Can,t imagine they'd go the extra mile and fix visual inconsistencies?

Jigolo

Looking real good. It's been a long time since I've played anything Uncharted. I'll get my hands on this on Black Friday

Wow, rerendered cutscenes as well? Almost glad there is no multiplayer included so I don't have the urge to buy this digitally. The data size of this must be massive.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait for this, hope it runs at 60 without dips throughout.

KORNdoggy

Why do you think Naughty Dog were trying to make a photorealistic explosion in Drake's Fortune? The rest of the game isn't trying to look that realistic.

I think the explosions differ depending on the explosive but even those that do create a significant polygonal volume of fire, the yellow 'dome' flashes and contracts so quickly you barely get to appreciate it and it's surrounded by a bunch of flat looking particles.

edit: The KZ2 Leipzig G|C multiplayer trailer's the clearest footage I could find of the rocket explosions which linger a bit longer, but I slowed it down to make it clearer.

KZ2_LGC.gif

As soon as the bloom fades away enough so you can see the fiery orb, it's not any more realistic than Drake's Fortune's. It just disappears so quickly you rarely notice it.

Rockets explode though....so...not sure why its being used as an example when talking about grenades? Its a damn sight more realist looking then DF though. But whatever, you'll get your tangerine explosion i'm sure ;)

Hoje0308

Banned

That probably has something to do with the fact that you posted a video of a training grenade that is devoid of explosive material.

Edit: Never mind. They did use live 'nades after the training exercise.

Shin-Ra

Anyway, what I really like about UDF's explosions is not only do they have a very full, volumetric shape but there's a sense of hot gas movement with fire folding and curling away into smoke. It's really detailed and pretty!

Hoje0308

Banned
Anyway, what I really like about UDF's explosions is not only do they have a very full, volumetric shape but there's a sense of hot gas movement with fire folding and curling away into smoke. It's really detailed and pretty!

The smoke propagates up top though, instead of being dispersed by the heat.

KORNdoggy

That probably has something to do with the fact that you posted a video of a training grenade that is devoid of explosive material.

Edit: Never mind. They did use live 'nades after the training exercise.

http://youtu.be/0W75JH1x5BI Better?

http://youtu.be/eKtXZHeEydk Better?

Smoke should move and dissipate, the explosion should be milliseconds, barely visible. It doesn't have time to have burning core within its cloud. There is no fuel. DF just had bad explosions, but realistically the chances to see them fixed is slim so i'll ultimately get over it.

Hoje0308

Banned
http://youtu.be/0W75JH1x5BI Better?

http://youtu.be/eKtXZHeEydk Better?

Smoke should move and dissipate, the explosion should be milliseconds, barely visible. It doesn't have time to have burning core within its cloud. There is no fuel. DF just had bad explosions, but realistically the chances to see them fixed is slim so i'll ultimately get over it.

Wow, are you that insecure? The edit in which I admit I was wrong is even in your quote.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Heh, the granade explosions in UC1 were probably far more complex to make than the simple sprite patchwork they started using with UC2 and 3 (and that everyone else was using).

UC4 from what I've seen, is using a precomputed volumetrics projected onto 3D shapes. Best looking, and performance efficient approach (I think Unreal Engine 4 also offers this approach)

I totally understand that. Makes sense on a technical level.

The DF grenade literally has evolved to its own persona/parody on here due to its tech.

Hype. Increased.

I never did finish Drake's Fortune since I got my PS3 a bit late into the game and it was already dated, now's the best time.

Alo0oy

Banned
God I hope you're wrong, I hate the model in Uncharted 3, and love the one in U2.

Nate & Sully's models in UC3 were great, their faces had more detail & better expressions, but Elena didn't have any extra detail & her face was changed for no reason, her UC1 & UC2 models were far superior.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Finally saw the 60fps video. Performance looks really good. Colors seem a bit more muted but that could just be the video capture itself. I do hope they get motion blur in. I think that adds to a cinematic look more than anything else and it's important for Uncharted.

In any case, I can't wait to have these games on my PS4. This series was my go to whenever I wanted to play something but wasn't in the midst of another game.

It definitely looks like they tweaked Drake's character model to fall more in line with the Uncharted 3 model.

please no, it's ok if he looks like the uncharted 3 drake but i pray he doesn't control like him.
Drake in 3 controlled and acted like a drunk caveman frowning and swinging his arms out wildly and constantly looking left to right whilst he bent he legs. Give me uncharted 1 or 2 drake any day.

God I hope you're wrong, I hate the model in Uncharted 3, and love the one in U2.
u2 would be better i guess, as long as they keep the over animated drake from 3 out of the other games i'll be happy.

Has this been seen? PS Blog Hands On: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/07/15/hands-on-uncharted-the-nathan-drake-collection-on-ps4/

I know, it's a biased preview, but this part is interesting for people worrying about visuals:

I played unfinished code that was missing a few minor visual effects, but Bluepoint’s loving influence was readily apparent. The studio is upgrading character models, environment textures, lighting, and special effects across the board, bringing all three games as close to visual modernity as possible while ensuring they remain true to their original creative direction.

Also this:
ZJn3cA9.png

I guess if you did not like Elena's look in Drake's Deception, you'll have to get used to it in Drake's Fortune and Among Thieves. I'm glad it sounds like the Drake's Fortune models are getting an upgrade though. They sort of looked liked plastic dolls the last time I played it.

hal9001

Banned
Some games are not meant for 60fps. Seeing that footage of Uncharted 2 in 60fps really takes away from the cinematic feel the game is trying to accomplish. Or maybe I'm just spouting nonsense and it is just a matter of getting used to it again.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Some games are not meant for 60fps. Seeing that footage of Uncharted 2 in 60fps really takes away from the cinematic feel the game is trying to accomplish. Or maybe I'm just spouting nonsense and it is just a matter of getting used to it again.

Stop using that phrase.

Games aren't movies. Games don't render motion like movies or a movie camera both which have features that give motion blur that games can't hope to touch in our lifetimes.A movie never drops it frames for any reason short of someone not doing their job or you watching a stream. Most games even now have a hard to keeping at 30fps 100% like a movie or a tv show.

It can't take away a feeling that is all placebo.

SSReborn

I'm not seeing anything in the helicopter scene to suggest BP's changed Nate or Chloe's models to look more like Uncharted 3.

That shadow res though. Fingers!
I dunno how the face looks really because we can't get a good look at it but if you look at Drake's hair right at the end when they are looking back at the building the texturing looks like it did in the third game.

Top Bottom