• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted : The Nathan Drake Collection 1080p/60fps footage+demo coming this summer

Impulsor

I want this collection and I will play it, as I'm playing GoW 3 again on ps4, as I played the last of us on PS4. Anything Santa Monica or Naughty Dog is a guaranteed buy from me. And I love these games, so I can't wait to replay them all before Uncharted 4.

stryke

Looks like its coming along well. I hope to see UC1 soon and maybe I can actually play it without making myself sick.

GnawtyDog

Banned
I want this collection and I will play it, as I'm playing GoW 3 again on ps4, as I played the last of us on PS4. Anything Santa Monica or Naughty Dog is a guaranteed buy from me. And I love these games, so I can't wait to replay them all before Uncharted 4.

Uncharted 4 MP BETA is where's at once you finish. It's going to be hella fun.

That footage is worrisome. The remarkably high quality motion blur Uncharted 2 was known for appears to be completely absent.

The video is 30fps. The original game was also 30fps and very stable.

From this 30fps video it looks like a downgrade due to missing post-effects.

I am not sure if I would call UC2s obmb high quality, but it definitely was good for ps360 era console stuff.

thuway

The irony is this remaster looks so many notches above the God of War 3 Remaster. I am still baffled by just how kerfuffled that remaster was. This thing looks to be the truth tho.

dr_rus

Also this:
ZJn3cA9.png

I guess if you did not like Elena's look in Drake's Deception, you'll have to get used to it in Drake's Fortune and Among Thieves. I'm glad it sounds like the Drake's Fortune models are getting an upgrade though. They sort of looked liked plastic dolls the last time I played it.

They're not saying that they use U3 models for all games, they're saying that they've overhauled older models.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
And that too, the only thing stopping me from replaying them all is Battlefront once its out.

I like how you think, man. :) Same thing for me. I'll be playing this, the Uncharted 4 MP beta and Battlefront for the entire year.

My money is still on this coming, summer 2016 would be my guess, around 6 months before the next ME.

I'd wager this is the case, too. It's too big of a franchise not to have a remaster. And I'd bite, too. My Sniper Shepard will kill again!

geordiemp

My favourite part of Uncharted series was the coop sections in UC2.

I know they removed the multiplayer ...(player vs player), did they remove the coop sections as well ?

BreakAtmo

No link as it is an in store video. As I work at GameStop and have to listen to that interview in excess of 30+ times a day, I can tell you it's true.

Then clearly you can provide a perfect transcript! :D

Seriously though, would you happen to remember exactly what's said? It's just that having them re-render the cutscenes sounds basically impossible if they wanted it all to fit on the disc. The PS3 versions of UC1&2 are about 18.5GB and 19.5GB (counting UC2's MP but I strongly doubt that would add much), and UC3's singleplayer with just the 2D cutscenes is about 25GB. You already couldn't fit that on a 50GB BD, and that's before you consider the large jump in file size that would come not only from re-rendering the cutscenes in 1080p60fps, but also the better-quality models and textures and such that they'll apparently be using. They'd have to either use 2 discs (expensive and annoying) or make people download UC3 (shitty, we saw the backlash when the MCC did something similar). Does he actually specifically say they're being 're-rendered', or is it something vaguer like 'improved' or 'redone' that could refer to them being changed to real-time? Because that's the only way I could see them fitting all the games on the one disc.

As far as I'm aware it's pretty barebones and only the single player.

Yeah, sadly it's just the SP campaigns. However, UC4 will hopefully have co-op as well as the other kind of MP, and they've said that unlike the SP campaign, the MP will target 60fps. If all that is true, I can imagine UC4 rendering the other UC's MP portions pretty much obsolete.

Killzone 2's volumetric explosions (from rockets and such) were pretty angular and not exactly realistic compared to Drake's Fortune's.
One looked like smoke created by a grenade. The other looked like a miniature nuke. Killzone was vastly more realistic. Both had volume, but one was badly done. But please highlight this "angular" smoke in killzone?

http://youtu.be/-6kdLNGncNI Killzone 2/3 smoke

http://youtu.be/AJxm_QCro6w Actual grenade

There is no slow burning "explosion" with a slow mushroom like cloud raising up into the heavens...it's all very smokey.

In both games they were never volumetric in the first place. But KZs look better overall.... much more physicalized.

What's your definition of volumetric if not giving a sense of 3D depth?

All video game effects are volumetric given that very loose and non-particular definition. I prefer to use it the way graphics programmers refer to it that limits the definition.
http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~uffe/xjobb/Robert%20Larsson-Interactive%20Real-Time%20Smoke%20Rendering.pdf
or
http://developer.download.nvidia.com/presentations/2007/gdc/RealTimeFluids.pdf

things that occupy and simulate real multidimensional systems and features, not emulate them.

Wynnebeck

Banned

Seriously though, would you happen to remember exactly what's said? It's just that having them re-render the cutscenes sounds basically impossible if they wanted it all to fit on the disc. The PS3 versions of UC1&2 are about 18.5GB and 19.5GB (counting UC2's MP but I strongly doubt that would add much), and UC3's singleplayer with just the 2D cutscenes is about 25GB. You already couldn't fit that on a 50GB BD, and that's before you consider the large jump in file size that would come not only from re-rendering the cutscenes in 1080p60fps, but also the better-quality models and textures and such that they'll apparently be using. They'd have to either use 2 discs (expensive and annoying) or make people download UC3 (shitty, we saw the backlash when the MCC did something similar). Does he actually specifically say they're being 're-rendered', or is it something vaguer like 'improved' or 'redone' that could refer to them being changed to real-time? Because that's the only way I could see them fitting all the games on the one disc.

When I go into work, I'll try to record it on video and post it here. If I can't (due to company policy or what not), I'll just transcribe later this evening.

Kinsella

Banned
Will definitely check out the demo. Without the multiplayer though, there's no way I'm dropping 60 on this. Maybe if it was releasing during a dead time of the year, but not in October. It'll probably be really cheap around Black Friday, so I'll grab it then. I just hope they improve the first game a lot.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Go here. https://frames-per-second.appspot.com

Motion-blur on 30fps content achieves smoother, more continuous motion.

60fps without motion blur already looks smooth and continuous. Motion-blur only smears the image.

To my eye, at least...
Yeah, I know how it looks, but I still prefer motion blur at 60fps. Things can still move fast enough that "gaps" are visible. Motion blur helps eliminate that while giving the visuals a look more in line with a pre-rendered movie.

I love these games and I'm going to buy Uncharted 4 but I have little to no interest in this HD collection for some reason. Maybe I just need to wait on it a bit. The games look great though.

Prioritizing game size wasn't that important on PS3. They had a slow disc reader so many developers would just duplicate the assets to increase response time. Also they were including multiple languages and audio files were taking up a significant chunk of space. They could strip that out and make the audio files region based. I'm not saying it will all fit but there's a possibility it can.

Percy

Banned
Is the missing motion blur likely just something that hasn't been added yet, or left out altogether for the sake of framerate?

Presumably they'll have a 30fps toggle like TLoU R did... wonder if the 30fps version will have the effect present.

It's definitely going to be interesting to see how this turns out in the end, but Bluepoint have earned some trust so I'll give them a chance and wait for release before worrying about anything being amiss just yet.

Still interested to see if they can manage to get this all on one disc if nothing else.

My money is still on this coming, summer 2016 would be my guess, around 6 months before the next ME.

EA have already confirmed that it's not happening, haven't they?

Eggbok

Is the missing motion blur likely just something that hasn't been added yet, or left out altogether for the sake of framerate?

Presumably they'll have a 30fps toggle like TLoU R did... wonder if the 30fps version will have the effect present.

It's definitely going to be interesting to see how this turns out in the end, but Bluepoint have earned some trust so I'll give them a chance and wait for release before worrying about anything being amiss just yet.

Still interested to see if they can manage to get this all on one disc if nothing else.

Sure did, for now anyways. They said they have no plans to bring the Mass Effect trilogy to PS4/XB1.

Revven

In the blog post it says it's a build with missing effects. Sounds to me like the effects are in a more recent build but not the one that we're seeing.

Cuyejo

It's also missing DoF. I'm sure it'll be added later along with MB it's even mentioned somehow in the blog post.

BreakAtmo

Prioritizing game size wasn't that important on PS3. They had a slow disc reader so many developers would just duplicate the assets to increase response time. Also they were including multiple languages and audio files were taking up a significant chunk of space. They could strip that out and make the audio files region based. I'm not saying it will all fit but there's a possibility it can.

That's possible, though I believe UC3 let you download language packs individually and that's not included in the 25GB figure. Also TLOU on PS3 was about 27GB and Remastered is over 40, so I have my doubts. :(

Honestly, the concept of an 'Uncharted Full HD Collection' was what made me assume way back when that the PS4 would have a BDXL drive.

Revven

it improved shadows on the last of us too.

btw, kotaku reports they have added a new "brutal" difficulty which is even harder than crushing!!

Oh yeah would you look at that, here's the link

Difficulty tweaks: The new game will not have dynamic difficulty, which they’re saying will be coupled with some balancing tweaks to make the game flow better. I asked specifically about whether enemies in the first Uncharted wouldn’t be bullet sponges anymore. I got a general affirmative that damage to and from enemies is being recalculated across the games. Bluepoint is also working on a special “brutal” (not final name) difficulty level that is designed to be challenging even for the game’s most skilled testers.

Oh mannnn!!! That's awesome.

Top Bottom