• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted : The Nathan Drake Collection 1080p/60fps footage+demo coming this summer

Circinus

Looks like Uncharted 2 all right. Definitely looks quite a bit sharper and smoother.

Already looked great on PS3, so visually it's going to be fine.

SSReborn

Am I the one to only be hyped by Uncharted 2 and 3 ? The first wasn't that good in my opinion.

The point is that we want to see what they do with the first game given it is definitely showing its age and we also want to see what gameplay improvements they brought over from the sequels.

Shin-Ra

But how does UDF hold up?
Best looking explosions.

UDFexplosion.gif

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
That footage is worrisome. The remarkably high quality motion blur Uncharted 2 was known for appears to be completely absent.

The video is 30fps. The original game was also 30fps and very stable.

From this 30fps video it looks like a downgrade due to missing post-effects.
The video on youtube is 60FPS. I think they must have just scaled down motion blur accordingly to match the 60FPS faster 'shutter speed' so to speak, just how it was done in TLOU:R. It was hard to notice motion blur in TLOU:R thanks to this, as it would only appear more evident during very quick movements. In fact TLOU:R featured that same "60FPS mode" motion blur even in its 30FPS mode, as they didn't bother readjusting the motion blur setting for slower shutter speed of 30FPS framerate.

*edit* I was able to see motion blur on Drake as he's rolling on the ground after the rope slide. Unless that's just blurryness from the low bitrate encode.

Am I the one to only be hyped by Uncharted 2 and 3 ? The first wasn't that good in my opinion.

I'm just curious about the graphical improvements. They're not going to be able to change the fact that it was super repetitive, at least that's what I felt while playing Drake's Fortune.

Circinus

A bit lame that Uncharted 3 isn't going to have 3D support. That's actually a significant downgrade I think.

I hope there'll be many motion controlled games and 3D games by the time I'll own a PS4.

Hopefully VR and Avatar 2 will make mainstream consumers excited for 3D again and create more demand for motion controlled games and 3D, and in turn hopefully companies will make games with 3D and motion control options.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The video on youtube is 60FPS. I think they must have just scaled down motion blur accordingly to match the 60FPS faster 'shutter speed' so to speak, just how it was done in TLOU:R. It was hard to notice motion blur in TLOU:R thanks to this, as it would only appear more evident during very quick movements. In fact TLOU:R featured that same "60FPS mode" motion blur even in it's 30FPS mode, as they didn't bother readjusting the motion blur setting for slower shutter speed of 30FPS framerate.

So that is why the locked 30fps to me looked more jittery on the Remaster than the variable 30fps of the PS3 version.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So that is why the locked 30fps to me looked more jittery on the Remaster than the variable 30fps of the PS3 version.
Yes, because of the correct setting for the motion blur in PS3 version, when the PS3 version was running at 30FPS (and it was a lot of the time) it would appear smoother than PS4 version when set to 30FPS. Your eyes weren't fooling you.

Still smeary as shit though.
Well, it's youtube.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Looks a little dated animation wise, and a bit washed out.

Also, that clipping on Nate's strap at the end was sloppy.

/nitpick

I pulled out all three discs for Uncharted on PS3 and I've been wanting to repay them all in order this summer, but I'm always hesitant to start because I absolutely love Drake's Fortune and it's probably my favorite thematically (globetrotting is cool but being stranded on a mysterious
uncharted
island the entire game really worked for me) but I'm worried with all the comments about how poorly it aged and I don't really want to taint my memories of the game. Excited to see what they do with it here.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Hopefully it isn't just a resolution and FPS bump like God Of War.

Uh, i'm pretty sure for UC2 and UC3 atleast, that's all we should be expecting. They arent going to touch the assets methinks, and i don't see why they should considering how good the originals were.

UC1 definitely needs some work, better textures, re-hauled lighting along with the performance increases

A bit lame that Uncharted 3 isn't going to have 3D support. That's actually a significant downgrade I think.

I hope there'll be many motion controlled games and 3D games by the time I'll own a PS4.

Hopefully VR and Avatar 2 will make mainstream consumers excited for 3D again and create more demand for motion controlled games and 3D, and in turn hopefully companies will make games with 3D and motion control options.

3D was a gimmick Sony as a whole was pushing onto SCE because they wanted to sell 3D TV's. Now that its not a priority, SCE doesn't have to focus on that. Shu said as much.

Goose_7

Banned
Best looking explosions.

UDFexplosion.gif

That fireball looks like a tangerine with chickenpox.

On a side note, I don't think Uncharted DF will hold up nearly as good as the latter two games in the series. Any PS3 owners back in 2007 who originally played Uncharted? Not people who played it after U2 blew up.

Circinus

3D was a gimmick Sony as a whole was pushing onto SCE because they wanted to sell 3D TV's. Now that its not a priority, SCE doesn't have to focus on that. Shu said as much.

A fantastic gimmick when done right.

Even if you aren't interested in 3D, you can't argue that more options isn't better.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Any PS3 owners back in 2007 who originally played Uncharted? Not people who played it after U2 blew up.

It was one of the first games I bought after picking up the GTA4 bundle (April 2008) and the first "next-gen" game to impress me with its visuals (I'd seen Gears, but only on an old TV). I haven't played the game since prior to the release of Among Thieves, though, so I'm interested in seeing how the remaster compares to my mind's eye.

Any PS3 owners back in 2007 who originally played Uncharted? Not people who played it after U2 blew up.
Got it the same month it came out and was extremely impressed. I remember when excitement from the GAF thread when the Dust trader for Uncharted 2 was released, tons of people with good experiences with Drake's Fortune

I have all 3 on PS3, don't think I will pay full price, but later on, I think I will get it for Collection purposes.

I played without 3D in Uncharted 3 having the option, it looks way better without it.

There is virtually no possibility of the current standard of 3D appealing to the market a second time. 3D is a largely abandoned format because audiences generally, and truthfully, didn't like it.

If 3D were to possibly make a come back, even if only for yet another temporary resurgence, it would need to evolve again. But 3D has demonstrated repeatedly that it doesn't have any staying power in the mass market.

People just don't like it. They never have. It's a novelty that people became disillusioned with in the 50, and then the 80s, and then the late turn of the millennium.

I feel bad though, because there are some people (like you?) who really seem to like it.

Drencrom

On a side note, I don't think Uncharted DF will hold up nearly as good as the latter two games in the series. Any PS3 owners back in 2007 who originally played Uncharted? Not people who played it after U2 blew up.

*Raises hand*

I'm actually loolking forward to replay U1 the most. V-sync, U2/U3 gameplay refinements and some various improvements would go a long way to make U1 much better (it was and still is a pretty great game tho, i love the atmosphere of the game). Crushing from the get go will be glorious!

psychotron

That fireball looks like a tangerine with chickenpox.

Damn straight! I even preordered the original after seeing a few previews. I loved it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
But 3D/3D TV's are dead.
3D TVs dead? I don't think you can but a decent TV today that doesn't support 3D. It's just not advertised much, it's just a feature rolled in with everything else TVs offer by default now. It's a shame because PS4 would finally have what it takes to run UC3 in 3D properly. Case in point with how great a few games on it that support 3D look like.

Shin-Ra

It's kinda crappy trying to find good quality (not compressed or watermarked to death) screenshots from 2007.

UDF most needs improvements to skin, hair and eyes (don't know if they're rerendering cutscenes yet), environments assets hold up pretty well and the higher res and anisotropic filtering will reveal more of the detail already there.

I'm sort of cheating here.

Uncharted 2 had already come out when I played Uncharted 1. But I was such a blinders-on Nintendo fan that I didn't know or care. I spent no time in any community or on any website that didn't specifically appeal to Nintendo gamers.

I was as in-the-dark as you could get. I had never heard of the series. I didn't know anything about it. In 2010, it was one of the first HD games I ever played - or saw, for that matter.

And man, I couldn't believe the screen tearing. I don't remember how frequent it really was. I remember it happening on a jetski. But I seriously couldn't believe what I was seeing. I had no words to describe it. I thought something was wrong with my PS3. All I could do was Google "Uncharted PS3 graphics glitching".

It's very weird to me that there are/were console games with screen tearing. No matter how long ago it was. It feels like a sacrifice of quality that would never even be considered or allowed. It was eye opening.

But I remember not loving it. It was okay. I thought the story was weak and wrote it off as "young Indiana Jones."

It wasn't until Uncharted 2 that I really was blown away. Like most. It was the snow.

I am actually pretty eager to play UC1 again. I was a serious gamer in my infancy when I first played it. The kind of gamer who didn't know there were "clickable sticks" or what that meant.

It's weird to remember back.

dr_rus

Ehm... Do we know anything about AA method for the Collection? Because those screenshots clearly have none and all UCs on PS3 used MSAA 2x if I'm not mistaken.

It's also good to see than Bluepoint knows where the AF on/off switch is located on PS4.

Circinus

But 3D/3D TV's are dead.

Huh?

Looking at the TV's from the bigger brands (Sony, Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Philips), it's a standard feature in their high-end and mid-range models more often than not..

It might not be advertised as much as before, but that's also because it's more established now and it isn't a distinctive feature anymore and because it's considered a standard feature.

3D movies at the theatre are also still very popular.. Most tentpole blockbuster movies from major studios have 3D screenings and are either shot in 3D or converted to 3D. Rather a rule than an exception.

Shin-Ra

Ehm... Do we know anything about AA method for the Collection? Because those screenshots clearly have none and all UCs on PS3 used MSAA 2x if I'm not mistaken.

It's also good to see than Bluepoint knows where the AF on/off switch is located on PS4.
The screenshots are 2160p so the lack of AA isn't really indicative of anything.

Uncharted 1 and 2 had 2xMSAA.
Uncharted 3 used Naughty Dog's own ppAA.

dr_rus

The screenshots are 2160p so the lack of AA isn't really indicative of anything.

Uncharted 1 and 2 had 2xMSAA.
Uncharted 3 used Naughty Dog's own ppAA.

Well, yeah, but still - why would they release screenshots with no AA in 4K res if there is AA in the engine?

There is virtually no possibility of the current standard of 3D appealing to the market a second time. 3D is a largely abandoned format because audiences generally, and truthfully, didn't like it.

If 3D were to possibly make a come back, even if only for yet another temporary resurgence, it would need to evolve again. But 3D has demonstrated repeatedly that it doesn't have any staying power in the mass market.

People just don't like it. They never have. It's a novelty that people became disillusioned with in the 50, and then the 80s, and then the late turn of the millennium.

I feel bad though, because there are some people (like you?) who really seem to like it.

I wouldn't compare today's 3d to be anywhere like what it was in the 80s. Also most people just didn't want to invest the extra money in a 3Dtv. The majority of the public have only experienced 3D at the theater, which pales in comparison to a good home setup. I expect the reception of VR to be the same. Only the people willing to spend the money are going to see the true benefit.

Top Bottom