• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted : The Nathan Drake Collection 1080p/60fps footage+demo coming this summer

Sky Chief

It's crazy how much animation has improved. I remember U2's animation just blowing me away and now while the game like great the animation seems a little janky.

IMACOMPUTA

Best looking explosions.

UDFexplosion.gif

This is making me sick :X

I really enjoyed each game at the time but I don't think I could go another round of bullet sponge enemies and kill room after kill room

I still have nightmares from the endless wave of enemies from the sinking ship stage which had that massive over drawn out kill room (in the theater room)

This is definitely not true, at least in the United States. 3D movies were inescapable after Avatar, which everybody and their mother saw. There was a two year period after Avatar where you oftentimes had no choice: watch it in 3D or don't watch it at all.

And with the 80s thing, I didn't mean it was anything like the 2009-era technology. That was actually the point I was making. 3D made major leaps between each of its three peaks. That's why it was able to keep coming back, because of the improvements it was making.

I can't speak for the rest of the world. But overexposure to 3D is usually cited as a key reason for its failure. Which wouldn't happen if most people never watched a 3D movie in a theater.

I ran a movie theatre for four years, from 2009 to 2013, so I do know what I'm talking about.
Pretty sure you misread him. He's saying the majority of people only experienced 3d at theaters which isn't as good as 3d from a home set up.

Best looking explosions.

UDFexplosion.gif

The explosion doesn't look unusually good and the smoke is just kind of weird. Like the smoke at the bottom is disappearing, and new smoke at the top is appearing without any adjacency, rather than it looking like a single rising column. The closer I look the less convincing it seems actually.

SephLuis

Will they make improvements to the game, beyond resolution and framerate ?

This could be an opportunity to adjust the enemies on UC3, so that they aren't bullet sponges anymore.

Hoje0308

Banned
The explosion doesn't look unusually good and the smoke is just kind of weird. Like the smoke at the bottom is disappearing, and new smoke at the top is appearing without any adjacency, rather than it looking like a single rising column. The closer I look the less convincing it seems actually.

It looked good the first couple times you saw it in 2007, but then you saw it in a situation in which bullets weren't flying and realized that it doesn't even try to simulate the effect rising heat would have on the cloud animation, apart from general motion.

gamerMan

Watching this made me realize how amazing Uncharted 4 looks. I am surprised at how dated the game looks because I imagined it looked better. All of the assets look incredibly low poly and there are very little shaders on anything. Everything looks painted on. Chloe looks like a Last Of Us monster when she turns toward the camera at the end. The frame rate is solid which will make the gun play a lot more fun than the original games.

Loudninja

+ Sid Shuman on July 15th, 2015 at 3:16 pm said:
Target of 60 fps. Felt pretty much identical to The Last of Us Remastered in this regard. Super smooth.
Sid Shuman on July 15th, 2015 at 3:17 pm said:
Yes, this is correct – the models, textures, and lighting are much overhauled. Much closer to U3
+ Sid Shuman on July 15th, 2015 at 3:22 pm said:
I was playing on a version that used the original PS3 controls; the final version will let you swap to the now-standard L2/R2.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/07/15/hands-on-uncharted-the-nathan-drake-collection-on-ps4/

I really enjoyed each game at the time but I don't think I could go another round of bullet sponge enemies and kill room after kill room

I still have nightmares from the endless wave of enemies from the sinking ship stage which had that massive over drawn out kill room (in the theater room)

Headshots, power weapons and grenades are your friend. I love UC combat so much.

My tip is to move as much as possible, it makes the gameplay really dynamic.

hawk2025

Regarding whether or not the cutscenes were re-rendered:

Great question – didn’t see any cinematics (the demo was short) but I will see what I can dig up!

So I assume no. Stands to reason that they would show a bit that included a cutscene otherwise.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No thank you. Yes, they look bad, but I do enjoy them in much the same way I like bad movies. Sometimes shitty = fun.

Agreed, lol.

Those grenades in UC:DF are it's Wilhelm Scream. I would love it if one random grenade in 2 - 4 did it in a play-through.

Armadilo

Banned
people talking about explosions, You need to check out The Order 1886 as I would say they have the best explosions that I have ever seen

Shin-Ra

How many even current-gen games have three-dimensional looking explosions or smoke.

Oh, Chloe's eyes need fixing again.

ChloeEyes.gif

But it was the over-glossiness that was the problem in the original.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Regarding whether or not the cutscenes were re-rendered:

So I assume no. Stands to reason that they would show a bit that included a cutscene otherwise.

In a Gamestop interview, a Naughty Dog developer says that cutscenes are being re-rendered. It's happening.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's a rare instance of a game using volumetric smoke though. Even when it's not done using an insane number of particles, it has its charm, and it looks very 3D.

In a Gamestop interview, a Naughty Dog developer says that cutscenes are being re-rendered. It's happening.
They pretty much have to, unless they want to fall under their own benchmark set with TLOU:R.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Not looking forward to having to do crushing 3 more times, but I can't leave an Uncharted game -un-platinumed.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Agreed, lol.

Those grenades in UC:DF are it's Wilhelm Scream. I would love it if one random grenade in 2 - 4 did it in a play-through.
Heh, the granade explosions in UC1 were probably far more complex to make than the simple sprite patchwork they started using with UC2 and 3 (and that everyone else was using).

UC4 from what I've seen, is using a precomputed volumetrics projected onto 3D shapes. Best looking, and performance efficient approach (I think Unreal Engine 4 also offers this approach)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Heh, the granade explosions in UC1 were probably far more complex to make than the simple sprite patchwork they started using with UC2 and 3 (and that everyone else was using).

UC4 from what I've seen, is using a precomputed volumetrics projected onto 3D shapes. Best looking, and performance efficient approach (I think Unreal Engine 4 also offers this approach)
Most games are doing it that way now. I think Shadow Fall does as well.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
That fireball looks like a tangerine with chickenpox.

On a side note, I don't think Uncharted DF will hold up nearly as good as the latter two games in the series. Any PS3 owners back in 2007 who originally played Uncharted? Not people who played it after U2 blew up.

I played Drake's Fortune on day one, and loved it since day one. I've since replayed that game a few dozen times, and I still love it. I even played it on PS Now on the PS4, and it's still a charming, fun game with some great characterization and gunplay. I thought it looked great streaming to my PS4, so I'm super stoked about this collection. Being able to play all 4 Uncharted on 1 platform is going to be great. I wish Golden Abyss was included in the package too, as I think it's underappreciated, and a lot of fun as well (moreso than UC1).

Nostalgia will most likely be fueling my replay of Drake's Fortune, but with the gameplay improvements they hinted at in the PS Blog post, I'm expecting it to be much smoother overall. I personally didn't have problems with the encounter design in UC1, but yeah, 2 and 3 upped the ante significantly in that regard.

Shin-Ra

It doesn't show that well in a GIF but if you frame through this part in the video you get a good idea how clean the upgraded shadows cast from Nate, the birds flying overhead and the very fine ivy leaves look.

UNDC_shadows.gif

That fireball looks like a tangerine with chickenpox.

On a side note, I don't think Uncharted DF will hold up nearly as good as the latter two games in the series. Any PS3 owners back in 2007 who originally played Uncharted? Not people who played it after U2 blew up.

I played it when it came out and thought the game was a lot of fun and graphics looked amazing

Top Bottom