• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted Waters Online

I first heard of this game 2 or 3 years ago when it came out in japan. An MMO set during the age of exploration you choose one of the following 6 countries "Spain, Portugal, England, France, The Netherlands, or Venice", create a character then sail around around to trade with other countries or indigenous people, fight etc. It sounded cool, you had language skills, could only talk to people who knew your language or had to learn languages to speak. Unfortunately it was in Japanese and I really didnt have any hope of it being released in English. Today I found out this game was released in English a couple of months ago and its free to play!! Im downloading it as we speak

Website
http://global.netmarble.com/uwo/main.asp
Everything is kind of in Engrish in the official site

Unofficial wiki
http://unchartedwaters.wikia.com/wiki/Unofficial_Uncharted_Waters_Wiki

Screen shots
d8f9a976-f3cb-4d2c-93a6-76375162776a.jpg

397c073f-5d32-4ed9-992c-cad9161224e5.jpg

I think it looks decent for a 3 year old game, also requirements aren't that bad

OS
Windows XP SP2 or above
CPU
Pentium3-800MHz or above
GRAPHIC
DirectX 9.0c or above (VRAM : 32MB or above)
RAM
256MB or above
HDD
More than 8.7GB disk space
SOUND
16 bit stereo 44KHz WAVE compatible sound card
DISPLAY
800x600 or above, High Color display
NETWORK
1M bps or above

Anyone played it, since it was released in English?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Naughty Dog have really slipped.

Serious edit: This seems similar to Sid Meier's Pirates, which is awesome.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
I played on this server for a while, eventually I quit due to rampant cheaters. Many many multi-boxers, which basically destroys the game. Sucked since I really enjoyed playing it too. :(

Also, if you hate grinding I would avoid this game.

Equus Bellator Apex

I clicked on this thread expecting to see a crash team racing style game with hd graphics featuring the cast of the uncharted games and instead of karts they would ride jet skis

Massa said:
It's not exactly a new franchise.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/16/Uncharted_Waters_Cover.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Yeah but when you have a product with a similar name that is more successful than the other, you try to play with the name at least a little.

Example: Avatar vs The Last Airbender.

But then again, it first came out in 2005 so this is out of the question.

EDIT: It also saw a PS3 release in 2009? Now that's trying to get the money from Uncharted territories (pun intended).

Takeda Kenshi said:
I played on this server for a while, eventually I quit due to rampant cheaters. Many many multi-boxers, which basically destroys the game. Sucked since I really enjoyed playing it too. :(

Dam that sucks, but im still willing to give it a go.

Finally installed it, had problems getting it run first time. Made and account, bunch of updates and bam game wouldnt load kept getting "gamemon failed to load" error, finally got it to work by disabling User Account Control in Windows 7 (and vista also has this I think) https://help.ncsoft.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6941 now it works finally

Is this much like Uncharted Waters II? It's one of my favorite games of all time and my second most played VC game. Well, I'm already downloading so I'll find out soon enough I suppose.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Bending_Unit_22 said:
Is this much like Uncharted Waters II? It's one of my favorite games of all time and my second most played VC game. Well, I'm already downloading so I'll find out soon enough I suppose.

It takes the best elements of UWII-UWIV and puts them into a MMO setting. Overall the game itself is quite diverse and fun; the unfun part comes in once you realize that a group of gold sellers basically run the server's economy. My advice to newcomers is to stay away from being a battle type and stick to adventuring and trading until you get a sizable income. Doing battle against NPC and PC is very expensive (cannon wear out quickly) and you need expensive ships to be able to stand a chance.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
shagg_187 said:
Yeah but when you have a product with a similar name that is more successful than the other, you try to play with the name at least a little.

Example: Avatar vs The Last Airbender.

But then again, it first came out in 2005 so this is out of the question.

EDIT: It also saw a PS3 release in 2009? Now that's trying to get the money from Uncharted territories (pun intended).

It only came out for the PS3 in japan. Where Uncharted Waters has a different name.

Keeping the franchise name in the US release had nothing to do with Uncharted. It's just the name of the series.

I have this game downloaded, but I haven't played it yet. Soon though.

Takeda Kenshi said:
It takes the best elements of UWII-UWIV and puts them into a MMO setting. Overall the game itself is quite diverse and fun; the unfun part comes in once you realize that a group of gold sellers basically run the server's economy. My advice to newcomers is to stay away from being a battle type and stick to adventuring and trading until you get a sizable income. Doing battle against NPC and PC is very expensive (cannon wear out quickly) and you need expensive ships to be able to stand a chance.
Thanks, well battles weren't my favorite part of UWII. The Dutch and Portugese guys were my favorite to play, so sounds like I'll be good.

Takeda Kenshi said:

Whoa, missed this. Does anyone know if that's that still a problem?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Damn, they finally put some English in this eh? Uncharted Waters II was incredible for its time. Sad to hear that the online version is filled with the usual gold bots but I'll grab it through my ISP and see how it goes.

Top Bottom