• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale announced for PS4/Vita, physical editions as well

LiK

I'm gonna buy everything anyway. One of my fave games of all time. Wish I knew about it when it was on KS.

Does cross buy apply if you buy a physical copy of a game?
Eg if you buy it physical on PS4 can you then download it on vita as well?

john tv

Hey guys, thanks for the love - more questions will be answered next month, but just so you know, amazon will not be carrying the game so that link is not legit. Just FYI. Physical versions are via Fangamer only.

Fat4all

Banned
I'd wager...

$9.99-19.99 digital

$19.99-29.99 physical

No idea for the collectors... $50-60? Maybe more? I want that music box.

Hey guys, thanks for the love - more questions will be answered next month, but just so you know, amazon will not be carrying the game so that link is not legit. Just FYI. Physical versions are via Fangamer only.

I thought it was weird that it popped up there.

Thanks.

LiK

Gimme deets!

zulux21

I am guessing you are still figuring out how much the physical/collectors cost?

it sure would be nice to know how much i need to put aside for the collectors :p

Fat4all

Banned
latest

Ventara

Next month? I can't wait that long!!!!!

fernoca

Yeah, I kept checking around because I remember reading it was Fangamer exclusive.

Kalamoj

I hope their shipping prices are reasonable, I really want the disc version.

eshock

My guess for the PC-specific stuff on PS4 is

Unique (previously unused) error code that cert/support know how to interpret as "the game is doing its thing".

I also don't think it's tonally dissonant at all to give a trophy for completing a Genocide run.
That badge of shame should have to live on in your profile for the rest of your life.
And trophy data is way harder to fuck with than how he saved that flag on PC.

Swiggins

I've never played Undertale but have heard the praise. How long is this game?

It's about 6-7 Hours, but because you can get radically different endings depending on how you play, in order to see everything you're probably looking at around 20 hours (this is a game you need to play twice to get the "true" ending)

Osukaa

Damn guess I have Zero excuses to not play this game then. Im thinking ill go with the Vita version. I had no interest in this game before but damn. I remember it was pretty highly regarded here on GAF. So I guess ill give it a try.

LiK

Damn guess I have Zero excuses to not play this game then. Im thinking ill go with the Vita version. I had no interest in this game before but damn. I remember it was pretty highly regarded here on GAF. So I guess ill give it a try.

Just don't let the beginning turn you off. Once you hit a certain point, you're gonna be amazed.

Corpekata

Banned
1 Playthrough is like 8 hours long but it's really a game like say, Nier Automata where if you just leave it off at the first ending you're not really getting the full experience. I'd say 15ish hours total for people who don't go in using guides for the 2 main paths. The third path adds a lot of time by requiring a lot of grinding and featuring a few REALLY tough boss fights but I don't think I'd call it a required path like the other two, for reasons that would be too spoilerly to explain.

I didn't read that as begrudgingly admitting trophy support, but as a statement that they made the trophies in the game really hard to get.

Toby Fox has stated before that he is against achievements because they may encourage the player to act in a specific way.
Specially in a game like Undertale.

I guess trophy support is mandatory in PS4.

LiK

Toby could've just had trophies for beating bosses and finishing the game. you're gonna do that anyway.

Zaru

Really depends on the play though you choose. I think my steam account ended somewhere around 43 hours, but I did a few playthroughs - 3, I think.

That's way on the long side, I'm not sure how you managed that. You can see everything in less than half that time.

Also, to the people calling them different endings... that's an understatement, since the playthrough changes dramatically depending on which route you are on.

That's way on the long side, I'm not sure how you managed that. You can see everything in less than half that time.

Also, to the people calling them different endings... that's an understatement, since the playthrough changes dramatically depending on which route you are on.

I struggled with two boss battles on the run through that shall not be mentioned.

I didn't read that as begrudgingly admitting trophy support, but as a statement that they made the trophies in the game really hard to get.

Q: Did you include Trophies? I love Trophies.
A: I’m sorry.

Q: You didn’t include Trophies?
A: No… I… I did. That’s why I’m apologizing.

Toby's a fucking madman. (ending spoilers)
You're gonna have to beat Genocide and fuck up your save for the platinum, calling it now.

I'm going to spoil this question, but it relates to trophies and save games.

Can a developer do a trophy check while playing a game? Like, let's say you do the genocide run and delete your save to start over. Can a developer pull from Trophy data to know what you've already done even if there isn't a save?

Opa-Pa

Toby's a fucking madman. (ending spoilers)
You're gonna have to beat Genocide and fuck up your save for the platinum, calling it now.

Actually, considering the game discourages such actions constantly, I'm willing to bet all that trouble will only net you a bronze one lol.

RedSwirl

My guess for the PC-specific stuff on PS4 is

Unique (previously unused) error code that cert/support know how to interpret as "the game is doing its thing".

I also don't think it's tonally dissonant at all to give a trophy for completing a Genocide run.
That badge of shame should have to live on in your profile for the rest of your life.
And trophy data is way harder to fuck with than how he saved that flag on PC.

My current imagining is
they build an entire fake PS4 OS you see while still playing the game. Or maybe just kick you to the title screen.

Eusis

My current imagining is
they build an entire fake PS4 OS you see while still playing the game. Or maybe just kick you to the title screen.
I'm suspecting the latter myself.
I have a feeling replicating the OS could easily run afoul of QA as tricking the player in an unfair way, and they probably won't be able to just have the application close itself automatically, but making it boot you back to the title screen, or faking JUST that bit would probably be OK.

libregkd

I'm going to spoil this question, but it relates to trophies and save games.

Can a developer do a trophy check while playing a game? Like, let's say you do the genocide run and delete your save to start over. Can a developer pull from Trophy data to know what you've already done even if there isn't a save?
Spoilering my answer just in case

Theoretically I think you could? There are already a ton of stuff out there that reads user trophy data so a game developer could possibly use your PSN ID and then check for trophies the user has and then use that to determine something. I really can't think any game that does do that though and I'm not entirely sure if Sony would even allow it.

Top Bottom