• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale (PS4/Vita) |OT| Sans Keyboard

OniBaka

Just started my last run
genocide
, omg what have I done to
toriel

Now I picked
the snow man to death

This run is going hurt me.

My favorite part of the game is probably when you fight Undyne, in
neutral/pacifist
. Her dialogue, the scenery, and the music, on her entrance is perfect. It genuinely still gives me chills, no matter how many times I see it.

Syril

My favorite part of the game is probably when you fight Undyne, in
neutral/pacifist
. Her dialogue, the scenery, and the music, on her entrance is perfect. It genuinely still gives me chills, no matter how many times I see it.

I like how
she gives you a totally reason for hating you if you're pacifist, because she's making up excuses for herself to justify killing an innocent child.

I want to say that I'm always a little bummed out when I see people recommending that new players
do a genocide run
as if it's a key part of the experience, but it's hypocritical since I did most of it myself as well.

The true ending and the game's themes in general really resonated with me, but I still went back soon after and started a genocide run just since people made it sound so awesome. I got no enjoyment out of it - clearly by design, as it's a depressing, grindy mess that you would only find yourself in if you specifically sought it out - but I kept pushing through, because it's a video game and I want to see the cool shit that happens, right? I got to Sans, got my ass kicked, kept reloading and making more and more progress... but stopped before the end, because the game is truly something special to me and I just felt genuinely fucking gross for having made it so far down a path designed for those who simply don't care about the characters. I reset, tried to ignore Flowey's encouragement, started one more pacifist run to set things right, and completed the game. I haven't gone back, and while I know the gist of what happens at the genocide ending, I've neither played nor watched it, as I just don't even want to see it.

So yeah. That specific thing is a big part of Undertale's lasting impact on me, but I still wish I could go back to
and never have done it in the first place.

(Now that it's had a couple years to settle, I'm coming dangerously close to considering this my favorite game.)

Saikyo

So, without spoilers, should I play on PS4 or Vita?
From what I heard from a friend vita has a SLIGHTLY less audio quality in the music but overall its more about if you want to.play anywhere or at a big screen.

Just a reminder that the game doesnt have cross save.

LotusHD

Banned
I want to say that I'm always a little bummed out when I see people recommending that new players do a genocide run.

Because it is a key part of the experience! Will you do it, or won't you? Or maybe you'll Youtube it? I dunno what you'll do, but if you decide to do it, I want to see your reactions!

Admittedly I'm very odd in that I can connect to these fictional characters, and yet compartmentalize those feelings away and continue to see what happens, just because I can. That speech still haunts me to this day...

Out of all the routes, Genocide was the one that definitely stuck with me.

I could never do it. Not even start it. I'm not a monster.
My first run was a pacifist one and I never loaded the game up again after the ending. They can live happily ever after.

My first run was a pacifist one and I never loaded the game up again after the ending. They can live happily ever after.
This is exactly how I feel. Not a choice I would willingly make in that game, I can just YT it.

yep, guys, just watch it on youtube, you'll see the error of your ways :3

but same here, genocide made a huge impact on me! It's genuinly the only game that make me feel bad, and i don't regret anything, a huge emotionnal coster.... just because i can!

I loved the true ending and impacted me too, but it was still a bit too....
anime
, sorry undyne, lol

TheOGB

Banned
That's how I feel too... but my curiosity
is about to get a lot more than just cats killed.....

Endo Punk

So doing a pacifist run and decided to
spare Flowey
, what kinda ending is that? Also
omega Flowey
was fucking terrifying 😱

So doing a pacifist run and decided to
spare Flowey
, what kinda ending is that? Also
omega Flowey
was fucking terrifying 😱

regardless of your choices, the first ending will always be neutral

if you didn't kill anyone and did all the objective, you can just reload your save and do what they told you on the phone at the end... if not, you need to reset the game and restart from the beginning, not killing anything and doing the right thing in certain fights, just use a walkthrough

Endo Punk

regardless of your choices, the first ending will always be neutral

if you didn't kill anyone and did all the objective, you can just reload your save and do what they told you on the phone at the end... if not, you need to reset the game and restart from the beginning, not killing anything and doing the right thing in certain fights, just use a walkthrough

Guess I gotta go see Undyne.

So, I was curious, how do
the several crashes , altering file saves etc
work in this console version ?

there's no crash, the game simply goes black 1 second and the glitched intro starts directly! Regarding savefiles it's the same, the game will remember what you did, nothing hard to accomplish on console

Isn't thisbgame PSTV compatible? Does the game suffer from any significant downgrade if I choose to play it on PSTV/Vita as opposed to PS4?

Seeing how this game is not Cross Save I have to ask this before commiting to one or the other.

john tv

Isn't thisbgame PSTV compatible? Does the game suffer from any significant downgrade if I choose to play it on PSTV/Vita as opposed to PS4?

Seeing how this game is not Cross Save I have to ask this before commiting to one or the other.
It's PSTV-compatible, yep! Shouldn't be any significant downgrade, no.

This boss! Think it will take me a week to beat.

A lot of the times you just need to sleep on it, then you'll come back and ace it. Minor tips you probably already know,

the fight only progresses each turn you attack

if your first few turns tank, kill the run

hope you still have a couple of the big healing items: pie, instant noodles, snowman piece

wait out the purple "poison" before full healing

Endo Punk

When I heard about the game and that you can be friends with foes and avoid killing I just knew I had to buy it, there was no way I was going to kill in a game which gives you the option to avoid combat, it's the reason why I am a big fan of the MGS games. I don't care if it played into the story or not it's just so much fun when games with combat gives you the option to simply not take part, also helps when non combat gameplay appears to be a lot more fun and insightful.

TheOGB

Banned
you're talking about the genocide final boss right? If you want, you can train yourself with each part of the fight here :

.....Oh

Maybe I'll just do this instead of a full Geno run :V

probably shouldn't be doing it on my phone but here I am lmfao
I managed to survive three sequences with 1HP each time haha

.....Oh

Maybe I'll just do this instead of a full Geno run :V

probably shouldn't be doing it on my phone but here I am lmfao
I managed to survive three sequences with 1HP each time haha

watch it at least, but it's way better if you do it yourself, there's an other big fight in this playthrough

Lynx_7

I want to say that I'm always a little bummed out when I see people recommending that new players
do a genocide run
as if it's a key part of the experience, but it's hypocritical since I did most of it myself as well.
(...)
So yeah. That specific thing is a big part of Undertale's lasting impact on me, but I still wish I could go back to
and never have done it in the first place.

You pretty much just described why it's such an integral part of the experience yourself lol. Deciding to do it despite knowing it's a bad idea if you care for these characters, giving up near the end, doing a
True Pacifist
Redemption run and regretting having ever indulged in the whole ordeal is your own personal Undertale experience, and I'd wager it's a big reason why so many years later you still feel this strongly about the game, arguably more than if you had just stopped at that first playthrough.

That's why I think encouraging people who are on the fence to give it a try is valid. Are you going all the way through until the inevitable end? Will you stop at one of the emotionally draining points of the route? Are you going to give up at one of the "superbosses"? Are you "one of those sickos who would rather just watch it instead"? Will you delete your save and do a TP run to redeem yourself? Will you live with the consequences? Those are all part of what made the game so impactful. I also strongly disagree with your assessment that the route was designed for people who don't like the characters. If anything,
it's just another killspree in a videogame
for them. It's the people who do care who will remember the experience for a long time. Of course, if you see
Flowey's message
and decide to give up on the spot, that's your own experience as well, and if you'd rather stop there and never even look at the route on YouTube, more power to you. I imagine no amount of messages on the internet would change your mind, and if they do, well... Just know you're in for a ride.

Now that i've beaten it once
on true pacifist, its time to try genocide.

661443.gif

Edit:
ah that dummy died so fast... i love the dummys in this...
i dont think I can do this lol

OniBaka

Ok getting better with 1st phase just need practice on 2nd.

I remember seeing the first attack and thinking this has to be cutscene.

I'm 100% in agreement. Maybe I'm just a softie, but
the player being a literal part of the game's narrative makes the Genocide route so much worse. I don't care that I'm missing another half of the game; I wouldn't want to do that these characters, despite knowing that they're entirely fictional. I saw videos of the Genocide run before I played the game, and after finishing a True Pacifist ending, I knew I wouldn't have the heart to kill everyone just for the sake of "doing everything."

I do admire the game for including the route and having it totally different in tone. Instead of a fun JRPG with lovable characters, it becomes a game where you play as an apocalyptic serial killer.

Anyone played through both PS4 and Vita?

I have enough cash in my wallet on the JP account but not my NA. NA is the one shared with my Vita though. Do I miss anything playing only PS4?

aadiboy

I beat the game for the first time yesterday
on true pacifist
. This is really a game about characters, if you like the zany characters and quirky humor, you'll love this game. I was expecting Undertale to be an rpg along the lines of the Mother games, but it's really more of a VN with light rpg elements. To be honest, I don't really like the gameplay, I thought it was kind of a slog to get through. I think the story is ok and the ending sequence is great, but I don't really feel any drive to replay the game.

Top Bottom