• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale (PS4/Vita) |OT| Sans Keyboard

At the moment, yep. Eventually we'll run out, but I think we still have more than plenty for the time being. (NA orders only tho.)

Great, thanks. I wanted a physical copy so I didn't do the digital pre-order. The theme is amazing though and I still want it xD

So if I place an order like tomorrow I should still get the theme in December? Thanks again :)

john tv

Great, thanks. I wanted a physical copy so I didn't do the digital pre-order. The theme is amazing though and I still want it xD

So if I place an order like tomorrow I should still get the theme in December? Thanks again :)
I believe so! Assuming they still have stock left (I haven't checked recently). Thanks! :)

RiggyRob

i did, because when you lower the health of normal monster, you can spare them without talking to them... since talking to toriel wasn't working, i thought it was the solution.... BUT NO, near the end you do a critical hit, killing her instantly.... man i felt bad, but i decided to keep going like that and redo the game later, i'm assuming my mistakes, haha

Huh, I thought Fight was a 'you're locked in' choice for battles, but I guess not.

I killed her because I thought you had to, felt bad, restarted, decided to stick with my original decision, and then I got called out for restarting just to kill her twice.
That's when I knew the game was good.

Yooo, this game
remembers what you do even when reloading/restarting a previous save
? That's a totally unnecessary but cool feature.

LotusHD

Banned
Huh, I thought Fight was a 'you're locked in' choice for battles, but I guess not.

Yooo, this game
remembers what you do even when reloading/restarting a previous save
? That's a totally unnecessary but cool feature.

It's pretty necessary.

I have the physical edition pre-ordered. It's weird: one part said it would ship in late September. Checkout said late October.

I can wait either way, but I look forward to joining this thread once it's delivered.

Gradon

At the moment, yep. Eventually we'll run out, but I think we still have more than plenty for the time being. (NA orders only tho.)

Wait does this mean if we ordered outside of NA we are not getting a theme? Or just that you only have codes for NA accounts?

Just got back from the battle against
Undyne
, in order to
finish donating money to the dog shrine.

Nothing happened. (That I'm aware of)

It was totally worth it.

N° 2048

I'm 2 hours into this game on Vita and have no idea how I feel.

It's quirky, do a lot of things really change with different playthroughs?

I'm playing how I want, somethings I spare, some I kill.

IrishNinja

i did, because when you lower the health of normal monster, you can spare them without talking to them... since talking to toriel wasn't working, i thought it was the solution.... BUT NO, near the end you do a critical hit, killing her instantly.... man i felt bad, but i decided to keep going like that and redo the game later, i'm assuming my mistakes, haha

this was me a few days ago
ive still not forgiven myself

Kinsei

Banned

Yes. The game radically changes between the three playthroughs.

It's a good thing that I know this game is worth replaying seeing how I've not even finished one playthrough and already have the platinum trophy.

...Which, looking at the trophy list, I feel was the entire point.

Crayolan

2 of the routes are similar, but with a few extra hours of stuff added onto one.

The third route feels like a completely new game.

I feel so much better doing the pa
cifist
run. SO MUCH BETTER. I'm still missing the ge
nocide
run but I think I'll leave it on hold until I own a Vita.

Aizo

Banned
All preorders on the initial run of the CE were always scheduled to arrive in September. They announced that beforehand and it even showed on the product page.

Any preorders made after the first run sold out are scheduled to arrive in December. That's why many (like me for example) double-dipped on both physical and digital version.
I think I saw that and had believed the game was launching then. I was surprised to find the game was out, but special edition wasn't.

joe2187

Banned
Is the piano puzzle bugged in the Vita version? nothing is happening when I play the notes and the only sound comes from the first note not the rest.

Guess I'll spoil this just in case, I have a question regarding how the endings work.

I finished my first play through and made a mistake that's apparently really common, I thought I was supposed to fight Toriel so I got the neutral ending despite not killing anything else. Getting the Pacifist ending would mean playing through the entire game in the exact same manner besides the Toriel thing, which I'm not really down for right now.

I am curious to do a genocide playthrough since it seems like that's a little more different than what I've already done, but I've heard that doing a genocide run permanently does something to your save file, and either prevents you from getting the pacifist ending or alters it somehow. But I'm pretty sure if I just completely delete Undertale from my PS4 the game won't "remember" what I've done before.

Just want to confirm before I mess up future playthroughs.

Guess I'll spoil this just in case, I have a question regarding how the endings work.

I finished my first play through and made a mistake that's apparently really common, I thought I was supposed to fight Toriel so I got the neutral ending despite not killing anything else. Getting the Pacifist ending would mean playing through the entire game in the exact same manner besides the Toriel thing, which I'm not really down for right now.

I am curious to do a genocide playthrough since it seems like that's a little more different than what I've already done, but I've heard that doing a genocide run permanently does something to your save file, and either prevents you from getting the pacifist ending or alters it somehow. But I'm pretty sure if I just completely delete Undertale from my PS4 the game won't "remember" what I've done before.

AFAIK what you say is true, but personally I think you should just leave your save file be if you plan to do genocide and then pacifist.

So to answer your two questions in order:

The Pacifist ending does require you to keep Toriel alive so in that sense you do have to we start the playthrough but the pacifist ending is really good and you get to discover a lot more about the characters and it has an awesome backstory for the main villain. So I guess in a way yes it is the same but once you reach a certain point things change a lot.

YES. Oh yes does it alter the ending

Fat4all

Banned
just beat my pacifist mode.

I can't ever see myself doing
genocide
. So I won't. Fun game.

giphy.gif

AFAIK what you say is true, but personally I think you should just leave your save file be if you plan to do genocide and then pacifist.

OK, this is what I was really wondering about. I do want to see the Pacifist ending but like I said I don't really want to go through the game again just after I beat it. So I'm for sure doing the genocide ending next (or at least starting it, we'll see if i finish), but after I finish that, assuming I'm only going to do one or the other and I'm not willing to play through the game three more times to see all the possibilities, should I do my pacifist run on my genocide file or start a new one?

Just wow.

I was really into Tumblr when Undertale came out. It came hot off the heels of an extremely irritating and pervasive presence of "Homestuck" culture that was so heavily proliferated by its fans that you couldn't help but hate it. As Homestuck petered out, Undertale took its place, and everywhere you looked you were bombarded and sickened by "determination" and "spider" memes. It was fucking awful. For as cool and "like Earthbound" that the game supposedly was, there was no game I wanted to play less than Undertale. Any instance of the imagery was immediately offputting. I didn't want anything to do with it.

Everything I saw or read about the game was - to pull a GAF favorite - cringey. One character talks in Comic Sans and another one talks in Papyrus! Isn't that SO FUNNY AND CHARMING? I was like, God, this has to be the most self-indulgent community I've ever seen. The game could not possibly be genuine or actually funny or thoughtful.

But the game cooled down and so did the fans and years went by without me really thinking about it. In this time, I was able to avoid spoilers and knew very little about the game except for some in-jokes, some characters, and the tone.

I played Undertale for the first time this last week and I'm just... remorseful. I get it now. It's so weird to me that I went from hating a game to loving a game so dramatically, and all it took was for me to... actually play it.

I am humbled and deeply respectful of what this game accomplishes. I am particularly in reverence at the depth of the writing - both verbal and non-verbal. The cohesiveness of the universe and its compelling denizens is a monument to creativity. Undertale may be "like Earthbound", but there is nothing else like Undertale.

I repent for my former negligence towards this piece of work. I understand why people seemed to so unabashedly obsess over the material. That's not me, and never will be, but I have a newfound tolerance for all those super fans who loved the game so desperately they couldn't even communicate what made it so unique.

To them, it was so obvious what made Undertale special. There was nothing to be said or explained. You just needed to play it and see for yourself.

Childish? Yes. Annoying? Yes.

But, at least for me, they weren't wrong. I am an assuaged cynic.

LotusHD

Banned
Just wow.

I was really into Tumblr when Undertale came out. It came hot off the heels of an extremely irritating and pervasive presence of "Homestuck" culture that was so heavily proliferated by its fans that you couldn't help but hate it. As Homestuck petered out, Undertale took its place, and everywhere you looked you were bombarded and sickened by "determination" and "spider" memes. It was fucking awful. For as cool and "like Earthbound" that the game supposedly was, there was no game I wanted to play less than Undertale. Any instance of the imagery was immediately offputting. I didn't want anything to do with it.

Everything I saw or read about the game was - to pull a GAF favorite - cringey. One character talks in Comic Sans and another one talks in Papyrus! Isn't that SO FUNNY AND CHARMING? I was like, God, this has to be the most self-indulgent community I've ever seen. The game could not possibly be genuine or actually funny or thoughtful.

But the game cooled down and so did the fans and years went by without me really thinking about it. In this time, I was able to avoid spoilers and knew very little about the game except for some in-jokes, some characters, and the tone.

I played Undertale for the first time this last week and I'm just... remorseful. I get it now. It's so weird to me that I went from hating a game to loving a game so dramatically, and all it took was for me to... actually play it.

I am humbled and deeply respectful of what this game accomplishes. I am particularly in reverence at the depth of the writing - both verbal and non-verbal. The cohesiveness of the universe and its compelling denizens is a monument to creativity. Undertale may be "like Earthbound", but there is nothing else like Undertale.

I repent for my former negligence towards this piece of work. I understand why people seemed to so unabashedly obsess over the material. That's not me, and never will be, but I have a newfound tolerance for all those super fans who loved the game so desperately they couldn't even communicate what made it so unique.

To them, it was so obvious what made Undertale special. There was nothing to be said or explained. You just needed to play it and see for yourself.

Childish? Yes. Annoying? Yes.

But, at least for me, they weren't wrong. I am an assuaged cynic.

Barring the Tumblr part, kind of how I ended up feeling. Where I want nothing to do with that fanbase, but yup, I get why they were so crazy over this game lol

One of the best things I've ever played, but yea, I too won't obsess over it. But all the same, it's a firm reminder that if people are continuously gushing over a game, I should probably check it out.

OK, this is what I was really wondering about. I do want to see the Pacifist ending but like I said I don't really want to go through the game again just after I beat it. So I'm for sure doing the genocide ending next (or at least starting it, we'll see if i finish), but after I finish that, assuming I'm only going to do one or the other and I'm not willing to play through the game three more times to see all the possibilities, should I do my pacifist run on my genocide file or start a new one?

erase your PS4 save data after beating genocide. Nothing will stop you from doing a pacifist run but I believe your ending will be the same as the one you already got if you do it on the same file as your genocide run. It locks you out from the true pacifist ending

Barring the Tumblr part, kind of how I ended up feeling. Where I want nothing to do with that fanbase, but yup, I get why they were so crazy over this game lol

One of the best things I've ever played, but yea, I too won't obsess over it. But all the same, it's a firm reminder that if people are continuously gushing over a game, I should probably check it out.
For me I really liked it but the memes and the fanbase turned me the fuck off to the point I actively avoided the game because I wanted nothing to do with the fanbase.

Shame as it was a very charming and quirky game but I don't regret my original decision.

N° 2048

Stuck on last boss with no items and keep getting killed. I'm just going to look up the endings on YouTube. I feel I got overhyped going into this game. It was ok. Funny writing but yea, maybe I just don't get it. Don't know what I was expecting so overall just feeling confused. Oh well onto the next.

JC Lately

Stuck on last boss with no items and keep getting killed. I'm just going to look up the endings on YouTube. I feel I got overhyped going into this game. It was ok. Funny writing but yea, maybe I just don't get it. Don't know what I was expecting so overall just feeling confused. Oh well onto the next.

Which last boss? Depending on how you count it, there are like, 3. One for each "route".

Saikyo

You can backtrack to
Core
to grind more money, if you really died a lot google about
temmie Shop and temmie armor in waterfall

JackelZXA

Wrong thread Jackel haha

right what i meant to say was

in the ruins theres a frog that removes the yellow names that show when an enemy can be mercy'd. Was that in the pc version? I really liked using it for my neutral run and it make Mercy into a gamble because I couldn't be sure it would work unless i'd memorized every enemy text reaction.

I basically made it through doing a mix of kills and spares and it made for a very balanced playthrough. Sans judged me as having acted in Self Defense and I ended up with a really solid neutral run that didnt just feel like "try for pacifist without experiencing the multiple playthroughs" that most people seem to go for.

I'm actually doing genocide in the middle because I like the way it follows to be played right after neutral, and I want to see the other kid's story. Plus I feel like ending on the asriel dreemur ending is like...that's the END of the game. (And yes I know how genocide modifies it, but I think the eye glint from the bed is a really cool twist)

I made it to sans but i used my snowman's pieces on undyne and might redo gennocide just to get to him with max healing items.

Syril

in the ruins theres a frog that removes the yellow names that show when an enemy can be mercy'd. Was that in the pc version? I really liked using it for my neutral run and it make Mercy into a gamble because I couldn't be sure it would work unless i'd memorized every enemy text reaction.

I basically made it through doing a mix of kills and spares and it made for a very balanced playthrough. Sans judged me as having acted in Self Defense and I ended up with a really solid neutral run that didnt just feel like "try for pacifist without experiencing the multiple playthroughs" that most people seem to go for.

I'm actually doing genocide in the middle because I like the way it follows to be played right after neutral, and I want to see the other kid's story. Plus I feel like ending on the asriel dreemur ending is like...that's the END of the game. (And yes I know how genocide modifies it, but I think the eye glint from the bed is a really cool twist)

I made it to sans but i used my snowman's pieces on undyne and might redo gennocide just to get to him with max healing items.
Yeah that was in the PC version too. If you talk to that frog again you can make the names pink instead.

PSqueak

Banned

Yes, this was in the PC as well, if you talk to them again you can reverse this
except the names become pink instead of yellow.

Anyways, i noticed the game updated again, what was changed?

JackelZXA

Yeah that was in the PC version too. If you talk to that frog again you can make the names pink instead.

Yes, this was in the PC as well, if you talk to them again you can reverse this
except the names become pink instead of yellow.

Anyways, i noticed the game updated again, what was changed?

It's a really fun way to play the game. I kind of think that it'd make sense if name colors being yellow at all was a second playthrough only thing. Trying to get pacifist on a first playthrough is already kind of awkward, so doing that would encourage people to see more of the game and experience the different versions of storylines while having that incentive to get that perfect run. I feel like that makes sense because on a second playthrough your character would "know better" and "understand the monsters" whereas the first playthrough is framed like a misfit fight for survival against monsters that ARE trying to kill you most of the time.

N° 2048

You can backtrack to
Core
to grind more money, if you really died a lot google about
temmie Shop and temmie armor in waterfall

Appreciated but I don't want to play anymore, one and done game for me. Maybe I'll run through it again if I go camping or something.

Beat it today. Great writing and charm but I don't know, it felt...lacking. Maybe I overhyped myself. Would score 7.5/10 if I had to.

Top Bottom