• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unfortunate Advertising. Battlefield 4 spotlights EA's inability to launch Games

Grief.exe

iRK8G0KOHCMz1.png

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/3/526...s-eas-inability-to-launch-games-treat-players

There is no sin greater in gaming than wasting the player’s time.

We can earn more money, we can buy more games, we can forget about the bad experiences playing certain titles, but time is irreplaceable. Once spent, it can never be returned.

If nothing else, Battlefield 4 has wasted the time of many, many players.

The game was released on October 29 in North America and it still doesn’t work. Certain issues on certain platforms have gotten better, but we're now a few days into 2014 and events are still being postponed. Issues are still being reported. My Twitter feed is littered with reports of players being booted from online games or their progress in the single-player campaign being deleted.

There is a class-action lawsuit alleging that EA oversold the strength of Battlefield 4, allowing the company's stock to rise and "senior executives to sell their Electronic Arts stock at artificially inflated prices." The idea in the lawsuit being that EA couldn’t have been ignorant of the fact that Battlefield 4 was barely functional at launch, and statements claiming the game would do well amounted to a high-level "pump and dump" scheme.

Law firm Holzer Holzer and Fistel, LLC is also investigating EA to determine if there’s merit for another lawsuit due to misleading statements about the game’s health and possible performance. These lawsuits may address the complaints of investors, but they do nothing for the players who have actually spent $60 on a game that, in many cases, simply doesn’t work.

Sulik2

This is a really interesting story. Stock holders bringing the suit against EA adds a lot more weight to this being a legitimate lawsuit.

On the gamer side of things, STOP RELEASING BROKEN GAMES EA!

Game Informer has also posted an article about how EA and DICE have lost consumer trust

EA and DICE haven’t simply released a broken game. They have cracked the foundation of the brand and driven a wedge between themselves and a loyal fan base.

EA continues to cash in on a la carte DLC, fails to fulfill the promise made (via Twitter) that pre-order bonuses would carry over across generations, and willingly takes in money for Premium ($50 above the $60 retail purchase price) despite a broken core product.

EA might not be the worst company in America, but it didn't make many friends in 2013 (and this year hasn't started any better). CEO Andrew Wilson has his work cut out for him, and his first months at the head of the table haven’t been brilliant. The first step in turning that around is changing a culture that places so little value on consumers.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...n-ea-and-dice-have-broken-consumer-trust.aspx

Hiccup

Banned
And I'm willing to bet "you guys" still won't learn and you'll get hyped for for next battlefield.

I haven't bought a EA game since NHL 94 and couldn't be happier.

And I'm willing to bet "you guys" still won't learn and you'll get hyped for for next battlefield.

I think Battlefront will come before the next BF, so it'll be interesting to see how it's viewed leading up to its release.

Lakitu

st5fu
Beyond rubberbanding in some rounds, the game is running pretty well for me. So how widespread are the issues on GAF?

exactly

gamers have shorter term memories than the voting public does when it comes to politics

Chittagong

Gold Member
With CoD losing traction, and BF going to shit, what are we supposed to be playing for hundreds of hours in the future?

Hope it's not just iOS and Dota 2

SRG01

I'm not so sure it's the developer's fault, but it's certainly the publisher's fault for imposing such constraints. Do the developers even get extra money to allocate people for bugfixes? Or is it simply money upon completion?

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Beyond rubberbanding in some rounds, the game is running pretty well for me. So how widespread are the issues on GAF?

Could barely play on XBOne last night... after crashing 5 times, I was able to get into about 4 matches with my friends. When we tried to a different game mode, we were all unable to reconnect to ANY mode on ANY server...

Good times!

Can't believe I bought this damn game.

I've played a total of 4 hours and I don't plan on going back. So glad I didn't spend another 50 for the "EA's extreme totally awesome map pack" thing, aka take it in the butt. I want my 60 dollars back so I can drop it into another buggy, but much more rewarding game on PS4. WARFRAME.

Fuck you, EA. Fuck you in your greedy asses.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Ben Kuchera defending players?

Wait for the next marketing avalanche next year for Battlefield 5 and everyone will lap it up as normal.

Grief.exe

HAHAHA, That is funny. How broken is the game. I have it but I haven't played it yet.

They have fixed the crashing, some of the unoptimization, and a few other huge gameplay issues.

There are still many more issues for them to tackle though, the largest of them still being the huge lag that you can suffer during the game.

Even under the best conditions, each player will still have around 70-100 ms ping

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZyqeFwtRTk

Probably helps that you are a Nintendo fan, but I'm done.

I, unfortunately had to wash my hands of Bioware and now I will be with Dice as well. I told my friends how bad this release would be, but they weren't prepared.

I will be getting Titanfall on PC, but that isn't EA proper.

Asgaro

All I do... is laugh.
Laugh at the gamers that paid 50 to 120 euro for Beta testing this turd.

In the past I became angry at gamers that buy games blindly at release date. Now I try to relativate it by laughing with their misery.

I am grateful though. In 6 months I will buy this game for 15 euro (PC) and have a polished and cheaper experience.

Atomsky

Banned
My friends and I still enjoy the game every day. Though the lack of second strike pack is really disappointing for us PS4 players.

Haha that's great, I'm getting the exact same ad here.

Got to say I agree with Kuchera on this one, I'm kind of impressed. It's nice to see him sticking up for his readers rather than a corporation.

Battlefield 4 may just be the straw that breaks the camel's back with regards to EA.

I doubt it. The Sim City release was also a fiasco, but EA kept on trucking away, though admittedly I don't think the SC fanbase is as large as the Battlefield one.

I want things to improve, but history tells me that EA is impervious to technical and critical duds. All they do is throw up their hands, sweep the game under the rug, and continue to survive on their sports games and licenses. More so now that Disney is contracting them to do Star Wars games.

Things will only change if people stop buying their games, but as is too many people are buying the games right away while either not hearing or ignoring reviews of the issues. As long as that keeps happening, they'll have no incentive to change.

majik13

I think its issues are a bit overblown at this point. I have been able to consistently play online for at least the last 2 weeks. Played several times with 2 full squads of friends on party chat for several hours with no one having any issues.
I am not saying launch was good, and that the game has no issues anymore. But I would not say MP on PS4 is broken. But its still super lame about the SP save corruption though. They need to do more than just a weak double exp thing for their loyal fans.

ShinMaruku

So true. I have not bought a EA game in years and I am very happy.

flkraven

Not to mention the fact that they still sell DLC that doesnt work. You can buy it, download it, and literally not use it. You'd think they would remove it from the market place until it actually worked? Friend bought china rising dlc for $15 on 360, and for weeks has been unable to use it. Can't join any China Rising servers, and he's tried everything. I just think it's crazy that it can still be purchased on the marketplace when an issue like that still exists. Way worse than the crashing: it literally can't be used!

Okay, I understand the game launched in an unacceptable state. I also only have access to the PS4 version, but that version runs acceptably now, even perfectly fine after 80 hours logged into the MP.

What are the issues that remain? Is it possible to redeem this game if all the problems have been resolved, or is it doomed to be labelled 'broken' indefinitely? Is it still broken for others, bearing in mind it's perfectly fine on PS4 at the moment for me (no more dropped games, no more rubber banding, no more freezes, no more error screens, etc).

EvaUnit02

Neo Member
Battlefield 4 may just be the straw that breaks the camel's back with regards to EA.

Sadly, that's not going to happen. All they have to do is produce a single game people want to play that actually works and this transgression will be water under the bridge.

nick380

Neo Member
Did you forget that shooters aren't the only genre in gaming? What about RPG's? They take hours of dedicated gameplay to get anywhere, so you could pour your time into that. even any other competitive online game you could pour time into ie: Fifa, Street Fighter, Forza, Gran turismo, final fantasy, solitaire...need I go on?

With CoD losing traction, and BF going to shit, what are we supposed to be playing for hundreds of hours in the future?

Ogimachi

I sure will. I got a full refund on Origin after launch and bought the game later on when it was playable (and also cheaper). It's a great game and they'll surely do better with Battlefield 5.

LakeEarth

At least BF4 is a good game, and when the bugs are finally fixed game owners will be left with an awesome shooter. Once the Sim City issues went away, players were left with a limited Sim City-like product.

Mathezar

As the saying goes;

Fool me once, shame on you (BF3). Fool me twice, shame on me (BF4).

I certainly won't be buying another Battlefield title (at launch) again, I hope others won't either... What's even more infuriating is that DICE don't even communicate with their audience on what they're currently working on or how they're planning to stabilize the game, unless EA have a gag order on them

Multiplayer has been running fine for a few weeks now but I haven't touched the single player since the game appears to still be corrupting save files. It's some shameful shit.

HAHAHA, That is funny. How broken is the game. I have it but I haven't played it yet.

It works more or less. But I think it's pretty fair to say that nobody (or nearly nobody) that has had the game for more than a month has played it without technical problems creeping into their experience. Whether it means getting kicked out of a match, having a single player save corrupted, black deployment screens, being stuck on the ground half revived, or audio cutting out.

This is before even discussing hit detection and netcode.

When it's working, you can have fun...but unreliable product is unreliable. It had an opportunity to become something of a defacto leader in the console FPS space considering how down people are on CoD (the fatigue is real)...but it seems asking DICE to be able to launch nearly simultaneously on 6 or 7 different platforms was a bridge too far for the time allotted.

I expect a very long, very interesting editorial from Polygon/Verge with perspective from insiders in the coming months on just how much went wrong here and why.

J-Roderton

There is a class-action lawsuit alleging that EA oversold the strength of Battlefield 4, allowing the company's stock to rise and "senior executives to sell their Electronic Arts stock at artificially inflated prices." The idea in the lawsuit being that EA couldn’t have been ignorant of the fact that Battlefield 4 was barely functional at launch, and statements claiming the game would do well amounted to a high-level "pump and dump" scheme.

I feel dirty.

Bob White

Can't believe Polygon is going in but, I'm so glad they are. The "we are aware of the issues and are working on them" from DICE is such bull. They most likely have BEEN aware of them before launch and still decided to release the game. I mean, I paid $120 bucks and the shit still runs like garbage.

EA certainly has huge quality control and agressive release schedule problems.

However, I wouldn't put much weight into the lawsuit . . . there are law firms that just monitor the stock market and any time a stock drops by a significant percentage they look for a reason to file a lawsuit. (Which they'll likely either drop or settle and thus collect fees.)

EA really seems to be living on their monopolies right now . . . Madden NFL monopoly, FIFA monopoly, de facto NHL monopoly, looking to exploit their new Star Wars monopoly, etc. But they better get their act together. Consumers are not going to keep putting up with debacles like SimCity DRM mess, buggy Battlefield 4 mess, NBA Live 14 crap, etc.

Metallix87

Define "breaking the camels back"? Do you think EA is going to go out of business?

Absolutely not, don't be ridiculous. I think EA will have to finally own up to some of their poor behavior over the last few years, and moving forward, I suspect this causes them to better themselves a great deal.

Mr-Joker

Banned
EA doesn't care and they will do it again.

Not SimCity? That game was literally unplayable due to the always on DRM and other social elements.

It will be whatever big comes along, hopefully something good.

Top Bottom