• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unfortunate Advertising. Battlefield 4 spotlights EA's inability to launch Games

Neither Polygon nor Game Informer mentioned stability issues in their reviews. To Polygon's credit, they were decent enough to at least mention that their review was useless. Both reviews were published on the same date and presumably Game Informer's review was therefore also written based on the EA hosted review event.

Speaking of breaking customer trust.

Shosai

Banned
EA deserves every bit of flak coming their way, but the last line of that article is fucked. "These lawsuits may address the complaints of investors, but they do nothing for the players who have actually spent $60 on a game".

Seriously? If there's anything that could get EA to fix their game and stop releasing broken ones, it's a shareholder lawsuit. Appeasing shareholders is the whole justification for releasing unfinished games, and now they've blown it.

Liberty4all

Banned
I think its issues are a bit overblown at this point. I have been able to consistently play online for at least the last 2 weeks. Played several times with 2 full squads of friends on party chat for several hours with no one having any issues.
I am not saying launch was good, and that the game has no issues anymore. But I would not say MP on PS4 is broken. But its still super lame about the SP save corruption though. They need to do more than just a weak double exp thing for their loyal fans.

I played for hours last night with no problems ...

I've had the game since launch but waited until the new year to really get into it once I heard about all the launch problems. So far so good. I'm really enjoying the game and even thinking about buying premium since I'll likely get all the DLC anyways.

The big thing for me this time around is that with the PS4 and XBONE having just launched there is going to be the usual famine of games. I've always loved Battlefield, so Premium just may be worth it for me this time around.

Nags

Banned
For the past 2 weeks BF4 on PS4 has been fine for me.
The crashes seem occasional at best. I have experienced 3 crashes in 2 weeks, with about 40 hours of total play time in MP.

Just last night I lost all my soldier progression in MP though. All my guns and attachments gone. But I'm pretty sure that is a legacy issue from BF3. Remember something similar happening there too. I know it will come back but annoying anyway.

I'm not defending it though. I certainly hope this will be the straw that breaks the camel's back. EA needs to be taught a lesson.

Mahonay

Banned
Battlefield 4 may just be the straw that breaks the camel's back with regards to EA.

Flashback of Gertsmann-gate

ibk9ridOU05t1A.gif

Overanalyzing and hyperbole, for $400 Alex.

DocGaf

Neo Member
"Pump and dump" as in the Wall Street thing? Someone want to explain it to me.
Yes, hype up a stock, get the price up and then dump it at a profit before it crashes.
EA execs did exactly that. They pumped up the price of EA stocks by hyping up and releasing BF4, and then dumped their own stocks before word got out that BF4 was actually a pile of shit and the stock price dropped.

As long as people are buying games based moreso on hype than anything else I don't see this changing things much for EA. It's certainly not good for them, but the whole SimCity thing apparently didn't force them to change the way they do business, so I don't have much faith that this will either.

meanspartan

It is amazing to me with all the flack they are getting, they didn't just decide to give everyone Premium for free as a way to earn back some trust and TRULY apologize.

THey could refund people who already bought it, or allow them to put that $50 towards another EA game.

Ya this will never happen, but given just how AWFUL this year has been, if I were in charge over there it would be my first move. It would hurt the bottom line sure, but it would go a long way towards mending bridges.

V AA D E R

Neo Member
And I'm willing to bet "you guys" still won't learn and you'll get hyped for for next battlefield.

The very unfortunate truth of it all. I absolutely steer clear of all EA games with the exception of Mass Effect and Dead Space, but those are only really published by them.

Petrae

Yeah the battlefield situation may earn ea another worst company in America award

I'm fully expecting EA to three-peat as Worst Company in America. There haven't been any major improvements and the disasterbacle that is Battlefield 4 likely puts distance between them and the competition.

At this rate, The Consumerist is going to have to consider retiring EA from competition and create a Wall of Shame or something for EA to reside in. Gotta give someone else a chance to be recognized.

BF4 seems to more or less be working on PC nowadays, for me. There was a spat some days ago where Battlelog intermittently failed to connect me to servers for a couple of minutes. But that's acceptable I guess.

This is the game that smashed the camel for me. I'm not pre-ordering games any longer. Pre-ordering is just kind of bad and dumb all over. Took me until now to finally get it, but hey.

Speaking of Gerstmann.

Grief.exe

The very unfortunate truth of it all. I absolutely steer clear of all EA games with the exception of Mass Effect and Dead Space, but those are only really published by them.

They wholly own those studios and IPs and have driven those respective developers and franchises into the ground.

You are doing just as much damage.

Ghazi

And Polygon didn't notice this with SimCity while giving them a high score during the launch issues? lol ok

Nags

Banned
As long as people are buying games based moreso on hype than anything else I don't see this changing things much for EA. It's certainly not good for them, but the whole SimCity thing apparently didn't force them to change the way they do business, so I don't have much faith that this will either.

EA managed to piss off just about everyone this year with BF4, SimCity and NBA Live.
I think they have attracted enough negative attention to see the backlash on sales in the coming years.

Nokterian

Game issues that were supposedly patched by EA-DICE weeks ago that STILL REMAIN:

1. Audio dropping out at the start of large games.
2. Corrupt Single-Player campaign save files.
3. Sudden crashes between games to the dashboard/desktop.
4. Battlelog and/or Player Profiles (My Soldier) randomly inaccessible.
5. Terrible dedicated "Official Server" lag
6. Unreliable server browser results

I could go on, but I'd rather play more AC4.

And i haven't touched it after release. Another big regret on purchasing it. EA can win the golden poo again. Maby microsoft but EA is getting close for a third one.

Takuan

Surprised it took this long, but at least it's being reported. Lowered expectations.

Gotta say though, NBA2K14 is worse in many ways, quietly inserting online DRM post-launch just so they can peddle their virtual currency. Essentially, modes that should be completely offline are now online-only, and when 2K's servers are down (which has been very often of late), players can't access their saves. It's disgusting.

Brannon

All I do... is laugh.
Laugh at the gamers that paid 50 to 120 euro for Beta testing this turd.

In the past I became angry at gamers that buy games blindly at release date. Now I try to relativate it by laughing with their misery.

I am grateful though. In 6 months I will buy this game for 15 euro (PC) and have a polished and cheaper experience.

Same here, but fortunately I already got it for $20 (didn't charge for China Rising for some reason). A fair price for an Early Release 'AAA' game, which this one absolutely is. I can wait for the polish.

Maybe more people will actually wait to buy BF5?

Dreams.

Grief.exe

And Polygon didn't notice this with SimCity while giving them a high score during the launch issues? lol ok

EA is smart, they allowed reviewers to get a hold of BF4 and Sim City during launch events.

They knew exactly what the fuck they were doing.

Harlequin

I'm feeling really bad for DICE considering this most likely wasn't their fault and they would've rather delayed the game. Just hope this doesn't negatively affect the development of the Mirror's Edge reboot :(.

Neither Polygon nor Game Informer mentioned stability issues in their reviews. To Polygon's credit, they were decent enough to at least mention that their review was useless. Both reviews were published on the same date and presumably Game Informer's review was therefore also written based on the EA hosted review event.

Speaking of breaking customer trust.

Just to shine some light on this:

1) We have not reviewed the next-gen versions.
2) When we played the game for review, we did not experience problems on PC, Xbox 360, and PS3.
3) Patches made the situation WORSE on those platforms.
4) We (and largely *I*) have written over a dozen stories about the ongoing problems that players have been having with BF4.

So, before you levy an accusation like this, maybe be sure that you're looking at the whole picture. Thanks.

Nags

Banned
For 1: I'm STILL not having any issues.

For 2: This has happened with EVERY BF release since BC1 IIRC

1. Good for you.
2. I have been at launch for all BF titles since BF2 and it has never been this bad.

I own both the PC and PS4 versions here and having less issues with the PS4 version.

IvorB

F**king great. I've been wondering for a long time if anyone in the industry would finally call out this bullsh*t that publishers are getting away with. I've watched this trend of releasing unfinished games escalate for a while now when it should have been nipped in the bud ages ago. No one said zip. I hope someone nails DICE and EA to the wall for this.

Grief.exe

2) When we played the game for review, we did not experience problems on PC, Xbox 360, and PS3.
4) We (and largely *I*) have written over a dozen stories about the ongoing problems that players have been having with BF4.

So, before you levy an accusation like this, maybe be sure that you're looking at the whole picture. Thanks.

The issues were there at launch, were you playing at a review event? That would be the culprit of the disconnect here. I believe most, if not all, reviews of BF4 took place in a controlled environment like that.

Patches never really made the issues worse, some issues cropped up, but never made the situation significantly worse than before. I'm guessing you probably just jumped into the release environment and noticed it was much different than the review event.

Pump your product up by lying about its quality, dump your stocks right before launch and the inevitable shit storm.

What does dumping your stock does? Is the shit storm related to investors?

Yes, hype up a stock, get the price up and then dump it at a profit before it crashes.
EA execs did exactly that. They pumped up the price of EA stocks by hyping up and releasing BF4, and then dumped their own stocks before word got out that BF4 was actually a pile of shit and the stock price dropped.

Ok, now I get it. Thanks.

Hiccup

Banned

So you just write a good review before playing the entire game?

The issues were there at launch, were you playing at a review event? That would be the culprit of the disconnect here. I believe most, if not all, reviews of BF4 took place in a controlled environment like that.

Patches never really made the issues worse, some issues cropped up, but never made the situation significantly worse than before. I'm guessing you probably just jumped into the release environment and noticed it was much different than the review event.

I didn't review the game. Matt Bertz did. I'm the news editor, and it's my job to make sure people are fully aware of what's going long after the review is published.

There was an event, but I seem to recall that code was made available between then and the embargo lift. I disagree about your patch assessment. Looking at when things popped up, DLC rolled out, etc., things got worse sometimes. Other times they got better. It was whack-a-mole.

Games that undergo frequent patching like this don't often reach the potential of a similar title that ships with proper QA.

Nags

Banned

nvm.

Grief.exe

What does dumping your stock does? Is the shit storm related to investors?

Yes. When the product has issues at launch, naturally people will sell the stock and drive the price downward.
The Executives at EA know this is coming, so sell a significant portion of their stock at a high value, before the news comes out.

They are also selling this stock concurrently with marketing the game and telling consumers/investors how awesome it is.

See how the stock increases until early September, game release, then a downward spiral to December. The bump in November is probably attributed to people believing the stock to have 'bottomed out' so they buy back in hoping to sell at a higher price...how wrong they were.

AKMIeSf.png

Dysun

BF4 multiplayer on PS4 has worked fine 90% of the time since the first two weeks. Obviously not perfect, but I feel like these reactions are late. Those first two weeks were abhorrent but it has been a pretty damn fun game for awhile now.

Nags

Banned
I didn't review the game. Matt Bertz did. I'm the news editor, and it's my job to make sure people are fully aware of what's going long after the review is published.

There was an event, but I seem to recall that code was made available between then and the embargo lift. I disagree about your patch assessment. Looking at when things popped up, DLC rolled out, etc., things got worse sometimes. Other times they got better. It was whack-a-mole.

Games that undergo frequent patching like this don't often reach the potential of a similar title that ships with proper QA.

Patches have been helping in my experience with the PS4 version. PC version patches seem to have more issues for me.

antitrop

How about both games come with not shitty but good campaigns? Wouldn't that be the best possible outcome for everyone?

Maybe such a thing isn't even possible in the current landscape of AAA development, with those budgets and the deadlines.

I don't know if we'll ever see another Call of Duty 4, i.e: Exceptional SP campaign on top of exceptional multiplayer. Something has to give.

Top Bottom