• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unfortunately, Batman: Arkham City IS using Games for Windows Live (Eurogamer)

notworksafe

Wow, that's a lot of quotes. I've never had any GFWL issues either, but obviously many people have had issues. No need to pretend like GFWL is perfect.

Zeliard

bubnbob said:
Am I too late for the unnecessary dogpile?

Has SalsaShark mentioned his corrupted saves again?

Have I marked off everyone's agenda yet?

What agenda? Wanting to play a video game with no hassle? GFWL creates unnecessary inconveniences for some. It may not for you or certain others, but basic empathy should tell you that's irrelevant.

strata8

I think Games for Windows Live would be a lot better if it was actually developed by the Windows Live team. The Xbox team really doesn't seem to give two shits about the PC or Windows Phone.

Iztli

PCGAMER.com

"Games for Windows Live is a ridiculous embarrassment for the platform. Developers: if you're using it in your upcoming game, you're not doing it right. Put it on Steam, or Impulse, or GamersGate, or sell it yourself online, or just stick it in a box. Preferably with a cloth map."

Bit-tech:

"Games for Windows Live is more like the software equivalent of flossing with barbed wire"

Stardock:

"I started out as a big Games for Windows Live advocate," said Wardell. "I intended for Elemental to be on Games for Windows Live, but then as we got closer, the Xbox group took it over more and more. And they have things where, oh, if you want to use Games for Windows Live to update your game, you have to go through [their] certification. And if you do it more than X number of times, you have to pay money. It's like, "My friends, you can't do that on the PC."

" On the console, I don't have to update my game because an anti-virus program got an update and is now identifying my VB scripts as viruses and I have to apply an emergency patch. That would just add insult to injury. We've had to upgrade our games plenty of times over the years, not because we found some bug, but because some third-party program, or driver, or whatever screwed it up."

RPS

"Yes yes, oh yes. THQ’s announced that the unlovely Games For Windows Live will be dropped from the next installment of Dawn of War II (that’ll be Retribution, which includes Orks in singleplayer and a mystery new race) and from Space Marine. Which is great news; not purely because GFWL sucks like a sucky thing born on the first of suck ninety-suckity-suck, but also because DOWII requiring both a GFWL login and a Steam login was a right old pain in the wobbly bits."

:/

Iztli

Meisadragon said:
I remember you lol, you were pretty good online. I removed most of the PC GOW guys from my FL though, it's been such a long time.

oo I dont think I can ever stop playing that game :D

It will not prevent me from buying the game, but it will prevent me from buying the PC version. GfWL should be scrapped. It´s a system that not even Microsoft cares about, but is still in use because publishers either don´t get PC, or they just want to be best friends with Microsoft.

McLovin

Its not a multiplayer game, the only time you really see it is the first time you log in and when you get an achievement. I had that on Batman AA and I completely forgot about it, stop being babies and get the damn game.

Derrick01

Banned
I don't like this but I've never had a problem with GFWL and I'm sort of happy I can get achievements now. Arkham Asylum was an easy but fun 1000.

Would have preferred steamworks but that's not the hand we're being dealt.

For fucks sake, guess that means I will buy the ps3 version. After dealing with GFWL once I promised never to do it again, unless it improves heavily and from the sound of everything, it hasn't. I didn't even have save problems but it took me like 30 min just to manage to start the fucking game.

Emitan

Thank goodness there are dozens of other games coming out every year that don't come loaded with this malware. What the hell makes them think they're so special I'll buy their game after this?

Volcynika

McLovin said:
Its not a multiplayer game, the only time you really see it is the first time you log in and when you get an achievement. I had that on Batman AA and I completely forgot about it, stop being babies and get the damn game.

You must clearly have a reading comprehension issue, because a lot of people aren't talking about problems with multiplayer.

EDIT: Posted before I saw your second post.

Marco1

Interesting thread, I have not had any issues with GFWL but there is little doubt that MS should overhaul the service or scrap it.
One thing that is abundantly clear is the fact that MS clearly couldn't give a shit about the PC.
I will still be purchasing batman:AC on PC but only for the reason that I have a PC powerful enough to run it at HD with everything maxed.
I found it hard to enjoy on xbox360 when I knew I had the power to run it 60fps.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Doesn't really change my plan for the Steam Sale a year down the line, though I'm not a fan of GFWL. Never had the deleted saves or install problems like most people. But the last two times I tried to play DoWII, it kept kicking me off and I haven't went back to the game since.

I tried to play DOW2 and failed. My friend was actually able to get Arkham Asylum working okay, but only after a crap ton of complaining and bitter angst.

I've learned my lesson the first time. I'm never buying a GFWL game again due to the how I can safely (and accurately) assume it simply won't work.

Arkham City using this is a real shame.

Derrick01

Banned
This is more reason why SE/Eidos should have bought Rocksteady after AA took off. If they had then this game would have been using Steamworks :(

(._.)

Banned
I already have it preordered for $33 on GMG ~_~

Worse case scenario it does have GFWL in the NA territory. Not too bad seeing as I got the game -$17 off.

Thing is though I am a tad more inclined to believe GMG. I'm not sure how WB operates but I would figure their retailer relations would be more accurate than their relations with journalism outlets. I don't have any first hand experience in handling information like this so it's hard to make a prediction on something liek this. All it takes is one email of misinformation from a busy rep to cause confusion. Just gonna cross my fingers that it has Steamworks also if it is GFWL.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Someone quoted a post I apparently made listing some of the problems with GFWL earlier.

That particular post didn't also include one major problem. GFWL requires that users install Windows Live Essentials. No Windows Live Essentials, no GFWL. Whatever, no big deal. Except that Windows Live Essentials fundamentally alters file sharing in Windows in a way that breaks most implementations of SMB ("Samba") file sharing. This is Microsoft's fault. They unilaterally changed the spec in a way that prior implementations will fail to connect. The way in which it breaks it was eventually reverse engineered and fixed, but that fix needs to propagate through individual implementations of filesharing.

So if you're like me, and you have a handful of media boxes (some running embedded systems that are not feasible to update), and you have computers running several operating systems, you are being asked to choose between being able to enable file sharing on your desktop, or being able to play GFWL games. For a long while, the problem was actually unsolved in most XBMC installations, meaning the world's most pre-eminent media center wasn't even capable of dealing with it.

In my particular setup, it's less of an issue as of mid-2011 (XBMC has fixed the issue, and my last media center device that doesn't have it fixed runs in the guest room and so isn't used all that often), but this is an example of why GFWL has been a bit of a plague.

Zomba13

Templar Wizard said:
yeah, it REALLY messed up the first one... oh hang on!
Well it did for me. I couldn't update the game or get this free DLC or map pack or something (at least I think that is what it was).

Murkas said:
I remember losing Gears of War 1 saves when all I did was update it (for like the second or third time) and redeeming my Gamertag (again, for like the second or third time), it's a horrible service that's a pain to run.

I just don't understand why companies go for GFWL, yes I can see Microsoft paying them to but wouldn't you actually save more money by releasing it on Steam and get more customers?

I remember not being able to play gears single player at all during the XBL outage right after its release. that was some serious bullshit.

The roller coaster this game has been on is fairly amusing.

WB: We're releasing a sequel to what many consider the 2009 GOTY, with bigger levels, more villains, and better graphics
GAF: That's good!
WB: But we must warn you, the game contains pre-order DLC.
GAF: That's bad.
WB: But the DLC are skins from Batman Beyond, Batman TAS, Batman 70's, and The Dark Knight Returns.
WB: The skins are all exclusive to individual retailers.
WB: But we've also included Robin!
WB: Robin is also DLC, and a cagefighting dudebro.
WB: The PC version will be the definitive version.
WB: It will use Games for Windows.
GAF: ...
WB: ...LIVE.
GAF: ...can I go now?

frogurt.jpg

Ridley327

Derrick01 said:
This is more reason why SE/Eidos should have bought Rocksteady after AA took off. If they had then this game would have been using Steamworks :(
In that instance, you'd run into the possible issue of WB not having Rocksteady working on the sequel, which doesn't sound like a good solution.

As someone who got hit extra hard with save file corruption issues that AA had, this is pretty disheartening news.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I personally hate GFWL because its patching system is probably the absolute worst I've had the displeasure of dealing with.

The system is generally unreliable, badly implemented, and unnecessary.

markot

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
The roller coaster this game has been on is fairly amusing.

WB: We're releasing a sequel to what many consider the 2009 GOTY, with bigger levels, more villains, and better graphics
WB: But we must warn you, the game contains pre-order DLC.
WB: But the DLC are skins from Batman Beyond, Batman TAS, Batman 70's, and The Dark Knight Returns.
WB: The skins are all exclusive to individual retailers.
WB: But we've also included Robin!
WB: Robin is also DLC, and a cagefighting dudebro.
WB: The PC version will be the definitive version.
WB: It will use Games for Windows.
GAF: ...
WB: ...LIVE.
GAF: ...can I go now?

frogurt.jpg
lolol

onken

Heavy said:
Never had a single problem with GFWL and, apparently, I'm not alone. Here are some posts I've compiled from the previous thread and this one. It seems a lot of people have no issues with it so it's not a case of us being "lucky" as some have said. Sorry you lost your saves or whatever but, hey, we didn't! I like GFWL and am now 100% going to purchase Batman because it's using it, when previously I was wavering 50/50 to wait for a sale instead. I'd go as far as saying there's almost an equal amount of people who have posted they haven't had issues with GFWL as there is people continuously bashing it, which is interesting because normally it's the people with problems that post about it and the ones content don't care enough to.

For me, personally:

Bulletstorm - 10+ hours
Virtua Tennis 4 - 20+ hours
Bioshock 2 - 10+ hours

No issues whatsoever. Must be a sorcerer.

Guess we're just lucky? *shrug*

That's a whole lot of effort right there. MS's PR department must be proud.

Templar Wizard said:
yeah, it REALLY messed up the first one... oh hang on!

You mean added absolutely nothing to the game, but cause problems for people?

If GFWL caused problems for people, but justified its problems by adding some sort of value, I might be okay with it.

Heavy said:
Never had a single problem with GFWL and, apparently, I'm not alone. Here are some posts I've compiled from the previous thread and this one. It seems a lot of people have no issues with it so it's not a case of us being "lucky" as some have said. Sorry you lost your saves or whatever but, hey, we didn't! I like GFWL and am now 100% going to purchase Batman because it's using it, when previously I was wavering 50/50 to wait for a sale instead. I'd go as far as saying there's almost an equal amount of people who have posted they haven't had issues with GFWL as there is people continuously bashing it, which is interesting because normally it's the people with problems that post about it and the ones content don't care enough to.

For me, personally:

Bulletstorm - 10+ hours
Virtua Tennis 4 - 20+ hours
Bioshock 2 - 10+ hours

No issues whatsoever. Must be a sorcerer.

^ I had to post this one first because of the improved graphics comment lol :p

Guess we're just lucky? *shrug*
Hey guys, GFWL doesn't suck. Only half of our users have problems with the service.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Here we go again.

If there's one thing these threads continue to show, it's that:

People that primarily game on Xbox 360 love GFWL.

People who actually spend most of their gaming time on PCs fucking hate GFWL.

So which group do you think is right about whether or not it's a terrible service on PC?

domlolz

Banned
Htown said:
Here we go again.

So which group do you think is right about whether or not it's a terrible service on PC?

It's not that straight forward, I game mostly on my PC and I don't hate GFWL, probably because it's never pissed me off that much. Despite that, it doesn't really add anything and as far as I know could be dropped from most of the titles that include it so I'd rather games were released without it even though it won't affect whether I buy a game if it is included.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Gully State said:
Hey guys, GFWL doesn't suck. Only half of our users have problems with the service.
:lol

Seriously.

Bioshock 2 didn't even work when it connected to Life for MONTHS! I had to pull out the internet from the back of my PC before starting it up to play it. They released a patch some months back that fixed it, but it took forever and I didn't even know they did it until I booted up the game on a whim to see if they came through.

And the GFWL implementation in GamersGate's release of The Club didn't work so I couldn't even save my game! It's worthless to me, but I only paid $2.50 so I'm not too upset.

Not to mention all the connection problems I've had to deal with trying to play with friends online with the service.

I'm afraid to update games that are GFLW because I think there's a chance that the update will literally break my game.

Orayn

Still buying it. Would have liked it to be a non-GFWL or Steamworks title, but the call of Batman is too strong to ignore.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
domlolz said:
It's not that straight forward, I game mostly on my PC and I don't hate GFWL, probably because it's never pissed me off that much. Despite that, it doesn't really add anything and as far as I know could be dropped from most of the titles that include it so I'd rather games were released without it even though it won't affect whether I buy a game if it is included.
Fair enough.

is there anybody in this thread who plays most of their games on the PC and actually has a really positive opinion of GFWL? If so, please explain why.

Here are my personal adventures with GFWL.

Lost all my Arkham Asylum saves after reinstalling windows. Other games worked fine.

Cant play Dirt 3 online because GFWL doesnt like some software i installed for Remote Desktop, same goes for Resident Evil 5. Every other multiplayer game not using GFWL works fine.

Couldnt play Lost Planet 2 because my GFWL kept crashing, turns out i needed an update for it and the damn thing doesnt auto patch, lost so much time that day i could not play my purchase.

These are the only ones i can remember.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I changed my GFWL name to Stallion Free (I couldn't stand it being my old one so I just sucked it up and paid the fee) and it made new folders in each game under that name and pretended my old saves didn't exist because they weren't in that folder. I had to manually copy said saves over for each relevant game. Sooooo ghetto.

That's too bad, considering of the amounts of people that have had issues with the damn thing. I haven't had any significant trouble with GFWL (regarding catastrophic stuff like loss of sales or games rendered unplayable), but then again, I've only played a couple titles that required it, so I might not be in a position to offer an accurate assessment.

My only gripe with GFWL was during my Arkham Asylum playthrough when I wasn't able to properly configure my Logitech gamepad. I didn't know ONLY 360 PC controllers worked with it.

(._.)

Banned
Stallion Free said:
I changed my GFWL name to Stallion Free (I couldn't stand it being my old one so I just sucked it up and paid the fee) and it made new folders in each game under that name and pretended my old saves didn't exist because they weren't in that folder. I had to manually copy said saves over for each relevant game. Sooooo ghetto.
I created a new account for AOE: Online. My old tag was something Like "GFWLisHORSESHIT"

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What kind of problems have people had with GFWL? I have a number of games that use it and they all continue to work without problems. I'm not an achievement whore either, but I don't mind receiving them.

FuKuy

Htown said:
Here we go again.

^THIS.

The only argument from GFWL supporters is increase their GAMERSCORE. ¬¬

Gully State said:

Is not only a question about problems. GFWL sucks because:

- It have a territory restriction. STEAM is worldwide.
- It have a 99 friends limit. STEAM have 250 (+50 if you link your Facebook account).
- You can't TEXT chat in real time, just send messages.
- You can't chat with more than one friend at same time.
- Payment support is limited: you have to buy Microsoft Points and pay using VISA. STEAM have many more payment methods.
- There's no background updates.
- There's no groups or events support.
- There's no hour played tracking.

So yes, GFWL sucks. It have been the same crappy service from many years ago. Even Microsoft have abandoned the service and killed Gamesforwindows.com. Now, for any GFW info related you have to go to... Xbox.com... ¬¬

Top Bottom