• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unholy (2019) (ex-Painkiller, Bulletstorm, Gears of War devs) announced

GrayChild

First teaser:

ABOUT THIS GAME

Become Saidah, a mother in search of her abducted child. Venture through morbid streets of the last city on a dying planet. Challenge a repressive regime under which your whole life is determined by which social caste you belong to. Save your child and find out if escape is possible.

Unholy takes place on a desolate planet where last members of the human race live in the Last City. This sprawling metropolis is divided between castes, and every day is shrouded in fear. Fear of being noticed by higher castes. Fear of being killed by a mysterious Plague that is slowly consuming the city Fear of being caught by one of the maniacs or mysterious beast that are going through the streets at night.

Gameplay is a mix of horror and stealth game, where for each challenge can be overcome in several different ways. Will you sneak through the guards unnoticed or will you resort to murder, leaving behind you a trail of blood as you fall into madness? As an outcast and a wanted person you have a unique chance to exploit the caste system and impersonate different members of society. Your playstyle is your own, but each has its consequences.

Features:
  • Engaging First Person Horror / Stealth gameplay
  • Explore a rich story behind Last City and Siadah’s desperate quest to save herself and her child
  • Immerse yourself in a uniquely dark environment never seen before.
  • Multiple ways to approach challenges through stealth, or through exploiting the city’s social order.
  • Take good care about your physical and mental health. Fight the encroaching madness or deal with the consequences of going insane.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Gotta say, when I see "ex Painkiller, Bulletstorm and Gears devs" my first thought isn't "I hope it's a story-rich stealthy survival horror". But hey, it looks alright.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
If mental health threats are executed like Eternal Darkness, count me in. That still is one of the creepiest games I've ever played.

Lanrutcon

How weird. Those 3 games have the average subtlety of a Michael Bay movie. Will this be the first horror stealth game where the protagonist is armed with a shotgun that shoots chainsaws? Will the mental health system feature chest-high walls to hide behind...inside the hero's mind? How stealthy can one woman be when she's constantly swearing at everything? Will anyone be killed in the dick?

So many questions.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Hope it wont get lost to the woods like Witchfire, also by ex-Painkiller devs.

GrayChild

I was so hyped for this one, but no news came out since the reveal

Witchfire is still alive and in development. From the words of the lead designer:

The game is still a long way from release and we are not announcing any other platforms than PC/Steam. The reason we’re launching the teaser so early is simply to let everyone know that we’re alive and kicking, and how radically different this new project of ours is compared to our previous game, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

How many games are "from some Painkiller devs"? There must be at least 50, and about three of them are good (I'm generously including Necrovision here).
Funny how Painkiller still means something for PC gamers. We all knew it was special, but not people-riding-on-its-name-for-15-years special!

plushyp

If it weren't for "exploiting the city’s social order" and "consequences of going insane" I'd have pegged it as something similar to Outlast.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Look interesting, and I'm sure everyone knows that means something coming from me and my opinion on FPH games.

Top Bottom