• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unit 13 |OT|

Carl

The EU Blog just confirmed again that it is out on Wednesday across Europe but all UK retailers are still saying Friday. I wonder if the digital version will have a 2 day head start on the retail version in the UK.

A first for a console game?

They always say that. Everywhere else in Europe will get it tomorrow, it'll go up ~10am on friday in the UK. Unless they've changed it.

Eurogamer gave it...well, you know 8/10 http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-06-unit-13-review

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Yeah, Unit 13 has a lot of content, along with smooth controls. Can't really see anyone scoring this game low.

Carl

Really tempted to get this when i get some money. I'll probably get it off PSN. Definitely suits PSN more

billsmugs

I'd have liked the scores to be a little higher (I felt that IGN's review was somewhat unfair) but it's nice to see the numbers being reasonably high. Hopefully the Metacritic score will get into "generally favourable" rather than the current "mixed or average" territory.

On that note, the Guardian's 60% score links to an unrelated review of three launch games and doesn't mention Unit 13 at all. Was the review removed due to breaking the embargo perhaps? (It's been there for a while I think).

All of this is married to a range of mission types that urge you to experiment with different approaches to the battlefield, whether you're going in all guns blazing, racing against the clock or stealthing through puzzle-y levels in which a single spot by a foe means game over. The best of Unit 13's challenges limit your health regeneration to specific save points, ramping the McClane Factor through the roof. Even the least inspired has the good grace to drop you deep behind enemy lines and into a set-up that feels wonderfully unfair.

... unfair for them. Oh sheesh I'm already sounding like a dumb action movie star.

Doesn't seem like the reviewers were having the system lock up problems the demo had which is nice. I'll probably pick it up later this week. I don't suppose anyone besides gamestop has a deal on it. I'm not a power up rewards member :/

nofi

Doesn't seem like the reviewers were having the system lock up problems the demo had which is nice. I'll probably pick it up later this week. I don't suppose anyone besides gamestop has a deal on it. I'm not a power up rewards member :/

The cartridge I reviewed from locked up my Vita several times, and deleted Virtua Tennis 4 and my save. I had to boot the Vita in the service mode and rebuild the database.

btkadams

The cartridge I reviewed from locked up my Vita several times, and deleted Virtua Tennis 4 and my save. I had to boot the Vita in the service mode and rebuild the database.

wtf? count me out. have they announced a patch for that for the retail version?

I'd have liked the scores to be a little higher (I felt that IGN's review was somewhat unfair) but it's nice to see the numbers being reasonably high. Hopefully the Metacritic score will get into "generally favourable" rather than the current "mixed or average" territory.

On that note, the Guardian's 60% score links to an unrelated review of three launch games and doesn't mention Unit 13 at all. Was the review removed due to breaking the embargo perhaps? (It's been there for a while I think).

I was curious about this also. I managed to find the review here. The review seems to be grabbed straight from the Guardian (look at the bottom of the review). No idea what that website has to do with the Guardian though.

Do any of you Unit 13 players wanna add me to your friend lists?

I have absolutely noone to play with online. Forever alone.

PSN ID: Anastacio

I've added you! My PSN ID is Dante_Ravenkin

Games I'm rocking are Hot Shots Golf, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom, and I'm about to walk out my door to get Unit 13!

If anyone else wants to add me, please do!

billsmugs

I was curious about this also. I managed to find the review here. The review seems to be grabbed straight from the Guardian (look at the bottom of the review). No idea what that website has to do with the Guardian though.

Thanks for that, they really didn't seem too impressed with it! That iamkonki site looks like one of these sites that just steal content from everywhere, but I could be wrong.

On a seperate note, does anyone know for definite whether the game will be on the UK Store this Wednesday, or will it be delayed to match up with retail here? Either way I'm certainly going digital on this, just to make it easy to boot up for daily challenges after I've moved on to other games.

EDIT: If what nofi says carries over to the version they put out to consumers, then that's all the more reason to stay away from the retail version on this! I seriously hope they get the problems sorted, because this game deserves better than to have its reputation marred by lanuch day issues (and affecting the saves of other games is really not good).

DBT85

For those of un the UK and Ireland, we get to wait until Friday after all -.-

Unit 13 will go live across Europe tomorrow and will be available digitally to UK and Ireland consumers on Friday (in line with UK & Ireland retail release dates).

They've been saying the 7th for Europe for months and made no mention of a staggered release. They don't even mention it in the article despite it being flagged for GB for Tomorrow!

Carl

They've been saying the 7th for Europe for months and made no mention of a staggered release. They don't even mention it in the article despite it being flagged for GB for Tomorrow!

They always say 7th for Europe, because everywhere else in Europe gets game on wednesdays. UK retailers would skin them if they released afull game on UK PSN on a wednesday

billsmugs

For those of un the UK and Ireland, we get to wait until Friday after all -.-

That's a pain, is the retail date set by Sony and if so why is it after the rest of Europe? If the date is set by the stores, Sony should just release it on Wednesday on PSN and force the shops to change. :(

(Actually this is probably a good thing for me, as I have a report to write!)

I like how the game controls but everything else about the game is brutally average and cliche

I'd wait for a steep discount on this game personally

DBT85

They always say 7th for Europe, because everywhere else in Europe gets game on wednesdays. UK retailers would skin them if they released afull game on UK PSN on a wednesday

But the blog posts also include GB as a region that they apply to when it's not right. The least they should do is mention that the UK must launch games on Fridays else the world will stop working.

Carl

But the blog posts also include GB as a region that they apply to when it's not right. The least they should do is mention that the UK must launch games on Fridays else the world will stop working.

Never take any notice of what countries at there, as it is right exactly 0% of the time

Seventy5

What are the daily challenges like? (Or at least, what's today's one like?) If they're pretty different to the normal missions then it could be amazing, but if they're just specific iterations of the dynamic missions set up for everyone to do then that's not so great (but still good).
The one I did early this morning was pretty much the first mission but with a couple new objectives and everything was remixed. I managed to do pretty well and was ranked 17th worldwide, though I'm sure I'm well below that by now. It was pretty fun and felt dynamic. I'm looking forward to the next one.

Famassu

Not the biggest fan of shooters, but this certainly surprised me positively. Will probably get this over Uncharted, as soon as I have money.

AwRy108

Came here to post how I'm looking forward to this game, but the demo just caused my Vita to hang and I had to do a hard reset. I sure hope that the final code is cleaned up...

Came here to post how I'm looking forward to this game, but the demo just caused my Vita to hang and I had to do a hard reset. I sure hope that the final code is cleaned up...
The demo's been doing that to people for weeks... the release code should be clean (but I'll be checking for patches as soon as I install my copy)...

Zoibie

I thought the reason they took the demo down was because of this.

I have over 90 friends on my PSN list and none of them have posted playing Unit 13. Add me, Jrod87, if you got it and in the message please tell me who you are ;)

AwRy108

I thought the reason they took the demo down was because of this.

I'm aware that the crashing was common with the demo (my post was b/c of irony), but I didn't realize that it was a big enough issue for them to feel the need to take down the demo.

addyb

For fellow uk gaffers. Asda are selling this today instore. Heading to my local one now to get mine. :)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Unfortunately no matter how good the game is at what it does, I think it's going to get some low scores purely because it isn't "proper" - no campaign, no cut scenes, no cinematic saga.

This thing is The Club 2.0, and a lot of people didn't get The Club either.

naib

I've played the demo quite a bit and never experienced a freeze. Hmm.

Buying this bad boy tonight for sure.

Ken

Unfortunately no matter how good the game is at what it does, I think it's going to get some low scores purely because it isn't "proper" - no campaign, no cut scenes, no cinematic saga.

Sounds like Mercenaries 3DS which I loved.

naib

I get it and that's why I'm on board. I actually pre-ordered The Club. I even have a silly shirt to prove it. Of course the online sucked. It didn't even have voice chat, but that was beside the point. Only tried MP once.

There was also RB6:BA's Lone Rush mode. But I guess that was more time attack than scoring.

Makes perfect sense for a handheld. The games I keep coming back to are the score chasers. Stardust and Lumines. I'm hoping this will have the same draw.

AwRy108

I get the comparisons to The Club, but calling it "The Club 2.0" doesn't do justice to the gameplay systems; and, as others have commented, the whole foundation of this game is centered around on-the-go play, so I don't necessarily see the lack of a proper story (which, mind you, would most likely be terrible if it existed) as a bad thing. I actually think that a review scores pretty spot-on.

I love replaying areas in the MGS series to try and perfect my stealth runs, so I'm actually super-psyched to have a Vita game centered around this whole notion. Looking forward to more GAF impressions until I pick up my copy.

I loved The Club. Just the fact that this is mentioned in the same sentence as The Club has piqued my interest in this.

I think I'll hold off until we hear more about the retail version crashing before I jump in. I haven't even tried the demo yet for that very reason. Hopefully it gets sorted out soon.

george_us

That's precisely why I'm on board. Less superfluous bullshit, more shooting dudes.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
That's precisely why I'm on board. Less superfluous bullshit, more shooting dudes.

Yep, same here, although I'm not sure if I'm on board yet. The bite sized, score attack structure is very appealing to me, much more than 5-10 hour "experiences". The demo wasn't amazing or anything, but it seems like it could fill a niche in my Vita library. I might break if Sony gets the update live by a reasonable time tonight.

Well, if this game had story, campaign, cutscenes, etc, would be bashed anyway for being a console game shoehorned in a portable, because everyone knows that portable games should be designed for quick sessions and short bursts of play, yadda yadda...

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I get the comparisons to The Club, but calling it "The Club 2.0" doesn't do justice to the gameplay systems; and, as others have commented, the whole foundation of this game is centered around on-the-go play, so I don't necessarily see the lack of a proper story (which, mind you, would most likely be terrible if it existed) as a bad thing. I actually think that a review scores pretty spot-on.

I love replaying areas in the MGS series to try and perfect my stealth runs, so I'm actually super-psyched to have a Vita game centered around this whole notion. Looking forward to more GAF impressions until I pick up my copy.

Yeah, I think the prob is there's very few of these game so far, so The Club is about the only thing one can touch bases with.

Ironically enough, The Club itself would have been perfect for a portable sequel tho.

Shikoro

Some questions:

-Is lenghty enough?

Yes, plenty of content, especially if you want to get that high score for a mission. Then there is the daily challenge and co-op.

-How is the structure of the multiplayer mode? specific missions? if that is the case, are there plenty of them? because the coop is one the main reasons for me to get this.
Haven't played it yet, but I think that it's the same as the single player. Different gameplay rules for different missions.

Is the performance any faster in the final game? The framerate was kind of sluggish in the demo which made the game feel a bit sloppy and rough around the edges.
I haven't been really paying attention to the frame rate, but it's mostly smooth. Of course there is some frame drop, just like in every other game...

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
This game only had online co-op right? I liked the demo alot but im not sure just co-op will be enough for me for online... Ii really wanted deathmatch gametypes...

Shikoro

This game only had online co-op right? I liked the demo alot but im not sure just co-op will be enough for me for online... Ii really wanted deathmatch gametypes...

That wouldn't make much sense due to its shooting mechanics ("aim assist").

Top Bottom