• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

United Airlines violently drags a doctor off a plane so employee could take his seat

Why do you fly United?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Korey

CNN isn't running it yet for some reason

Front page US is

Delta tries to 'normalize' as flight cancellations continue
Delta meltdown: Pilots are on hold, too
Delta throws pizza party for stranded passengers

This only broke a few hours ago and it's the middle of the night. Media reps have been contacting the poster for permission to use the footage, so I expect it'll hit tomorrow morning:

CNN: https://twitter.com/CNNJustin/status/851342142308061184
NBC: https://twitter.com/erinfdean/status/851260915114680321
BBC: https://twitter.com/BBC_HaveYourSay/status/851364480630091776

EloKa

Asked to leave a bar and don't you'll find yourself dealing with a bouncer
you do not sign a contract once you enter a bar. Having bought the flight grants you the right to take that flight as long as you don't break any rules noted in the contract. At least thats the way following EU laws but maybe USA is handling that very differently.

Also I don't think that it is "childish" to scream out of pain if you get kinda knocked out by force and suffer bleeding from the mouth.

Trying to put any blame on a doctor who insists that he needs to see his patients feels very strange.

Yeah, overbooking is dumb but it wasn't really the issue here

The issue is, someone decided it would be a good idea to cap compensation at $800, and when that failed to entice people they did a Hunger Games style reaping, complete with uniformed Peacekeepers to enforce the random selection of who gets booted off the flight.

This is crap. The employees were on "stand by", which means they get a seat if one becomes available due to cancellation, no show, etc. That didn't work, so they needed volunteers. If no one volunteers it should end there or up the offer. What world is this where paying customers with booked seats/times get dragged off a plane forcibly to make space for people waiting on standby (employees no less).

If it was so important that the employees reach their destination for work, why weren't they booked on the flight instead of sitting on stand by?

It's a standby crew, not employees with standby tickets:
http://www.flygosh.com/2011/09/exciting-life-of-pilotcabin-crew-during.html

For those who do not know what standby is,it is basically a set of crew on standby( hence the name) to operate a particular flight just in case anyone call sick or unable to fly due to any unforseen circumstances.

Uhhh, how does this not cause national outrage.

Assaulting and forcibly removing a doctor on their way to work from a plane seat they paid for is all kinds of messed up.

There's so many better and more appropriate ways to handle this.

I really don't understand the concept of noone intervening, and instead filming it all. Of course filming it is bad publicity so I guess you're doing the right thing.. but the guy still got fucked up. :(

Dali

I really don't understand the concept of noone intervening, and instead filming it all. Of course filming it is bad publicity so I guess you're doing the right thing.. but the guy still got fucked up. :(
The airline told guy to get off the plane. He didn't. Police forcibly removed him. Where in this does it seem like a good idea to physically inject yourself? The bystanders did the best thing they could.

mAcOdIn

Are you people missing the part where he was a doctor with patients waiting for him at his destination?

These responses are disgusting.
If he is that sucks but how does one know that? And what does patients waiting mean? Life or death? An inconvenience of having to reschedule? An emergency open heart surgery? How do you know? And if it is just routine business for him does that make it more important than anyone else's stuff going on in their lives just because he's a doctor?

It's all shit that's irrelevant because if you book something you should expect to be able to take it barring mechanical or natural disaster. I'm not on the side of the airline I just think people unwilling to follow the rules as established need to be mentally and physically prepared for what happens next. That's why I think he acted like a baby, I believe placing yourself into a situation you can't emotionally or physically handle is childish. It's not wrong, he wasn't in the wrong here, but grown adults should be able to see the inevitable conclusion of their immediate actions beforehand and make an intelligent decision in advance.

Menchi

Nah, the next logical option isn't randomly select 4 people to forcibly swap them out with people on stand by. It's raise the offer.

Likewise, he's a doctor. None of us know the importance of his appointments the following day. Sure it would have been "easier" to wait and kick off afterwards, but this was certainly far more effective and damaging to United. He's gonna get paid.

So when do you stop raising the offer? What if no one accepts? You give a reasonable offer, no one accepts, you make it random with the same compensation.

And it isn't really relevant what his circumstances are. What if the other passengers had dying family, or the biggest interview of their life? If you're doing a random choice, you can't take that into account. But yeah, you're certainly right he's "getting paid" whether he meant for the outrage to enable that or not is anyone's guess.

Just because something is within your rights to do, might not necessarily mean it's good PR though.

It was United who caused this by overbooking the flight (which is acommon practice, though).
It was United who escalated this by dragging the dude out of the plane.

This could've been handled so much better - like ... maybe go out of your way to find another flight for your crew, maybe find out if there's crew on standby closer to the destination. etc.

Yeah, I've not denied it is terrible PR and perhaps there were other options, but we don't know that and even if there were, it is a private entities right to choose whatever option they see fit. Again, completely shitty but that's why you follow the rules and kick up afterwards.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The employees were flight crew so if they weren't in Louisville then more than a few people wouldn't be getting where they want to go.

That's United's problem to solve without riding roughshod over their customers. Yes, those Louisville passengers would also have a problem, but United shouldn't be playing a numbers game with their passengers, when the stakes are potentially getting dragged like this off a plane and injured.

With all that said I'm not trying to say what they did I'd okay or right.

Cool.

you do not sign a contract once you enter a bar. Having bought the flight grants you the right to take that flight as long as you don't break any rules noted in the contract. At least thats the way following EU laws but maybe USA is handling that very differently.

Nah, it's the same kind of rules in Europe:
http://www.airpassengerrights.eu/en/your-rights-a-summary.html

At overbooking, the airline must first ask for passengers who are voluntarily willing to give up their reservations for a compensation, the carrier and the passenger may agree upon. Are there not enough volunteers the airline is obliged to financially compensate those who are denied boarding against their will. The amount of compensation depends on the distance.

EUR 250 for all flights of 1500 kilometres or less:
EUR 400 for all intra-Community flights of more than 1500 kilometres, and for all other flights between 1500 and 3500 kilometres
EUR 600 for all other flights.

this makes even less sense. it's not like they're replacing crew on this flight. flight crew don't sit in passenger seats.

The standby crew was in Chicago and needed to get to Louisville for the flight on which they were the replacement crew for.

Yeah he's fine. He just ran against the door. Nothing to see here.
It was handled terribly, but at the same time, it isn't like the security guy held his head over the armrest and smashed his face in it. The passenger refused to leave, security has to remove him by force.

jabuseika

Nice lawsuit incoming.

How are they going to defend this? He refused to volunteer?

It was handled terribly, but at the same time, it isn't like the security guy held his head over the armrest and smashed his face in it. The passenger refused to leave, security has to remove him by force.

He paid for the seat, why should he leave?

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
I live for these moments... i purposely book earlier flights or late flights in the hopes that I get an overbooked flight. When I check in, I get and alert asking if I would like to be a volunteer before I get to the gate. I usually say yes, unless I have a very import meeting. One day while flying to Miami, I got 1300 dollars to change my flight to one leaving an hour later to Ft Lauderdale. The money can only be used for United flights, so the inconvenience may not be worth it to those that don't intend to use United again or travel period.

I am usually flying for work, so I don't mind the delay. But if I had something to do, then there is no way you are getting me off of that plane, over to baggage claim, in a taxi and into a hotel only to do the whole check in procedure again the next day.

The man was able to get back on the plane after initially being taken off – his face was bloody and he seemed disoriented, Bridges said, and he ran to the back of the plane. Passengers asked to get off the plane as a medical crew came on to deal with the passenger, she said, and passengers were then told to go back to the gate so that officials could "tidy up" the plane before taking off.

So after they beat his ass and dragged him off the plane, they let him back on all bloody and disoriented anyway? If it was so important to get him off the plane, why did they let him back on? I noticed the defense force isn't acknowledging that.

King_Moc

Banned
No they totally understand, they asked for volunteers and didn't get any so they escalated it to mandatory. Like if someone at work calls in sick and they ask for volunteers to cover the shift, if no-one volunteers is it left at that?

If you're forcing someone to do something, then it isn't volunteering. They were still using the word at that point.

Impotaku

Overbooking should be illegal...

Absolutely.

There is no excuse to overbook it's just pure corporate greed, if a passenger doesn't turn up for their booked seat on a flight they don't magically get refunded. They lose their ticket money so the airline already has the ticket holders money.

He paid for the seat, why should he leave?
I don't agree with the overbooking practice, but those are the regulations. So when confronted with it, asked to leave and then refuse, the next step is to do it forcibly.

And in this case they needed to bring 4 crew to another city. So even if the plane wasn't overbooked, those 4 crew still needed to be brought along. He wasn't replaced for another regular passenger.

Nah, it's the same kind of rules in Europe.

The amounts are such a joke. I was in this sort of situation before (United Flight asking for people to get off the plane after boarding) and because it was an international flight anyone who did consider getting off was waiting for the promise of a business or 1st class ticket, which $800 is nowhere close to covering.

In my case the plane took off anyway without booting people and had to land in anchorage to drop off cargo (and then a 3 hour delay to find new crew) but the "standard" fees smack of beIng decided by Airlines. :-/

Sakura

It sucks what happened to him, but I don't know what you would expect when you are told to leave the plane, and refuse. They told him security would be coming if he didn't get off, and that's what happened.
Maybe overbooking shouldn't be legal, or maybe they should offer better compensation, but as is I don't really see how the airline wasn't within their rights.
United shouldn't be playing a numbers game with their passengers
Don't pretty much all airlines in the US do this?

Kettch

I'm divided on this. They offered a voluntary option for 4 people to leave and no one took it, so 4 random passengers is the next best option if they truly needed the seats.

The other 3 passengers got off without issue, yet this one, refuses to leave... Wouldn't it have been easier to just leave and kick up a fuss with them afterwards? Instead he wanted them to reroll the dice and refused to leave. You don't refuse to leave when security of a private business ask you to leave.

Still, the physical removal seemed very over the top but if he's refusing it's no doubt going to have to come to some physical removal. I mean, you get physically chucked out of any private business if you refuse to leave.

Crappy customer service but if you're asked to leave, just leave. Complain afterwards.

Why are you assuming that his business wasn't important enough to warrant this?

Let's say that he has life saving medical procedures scheduled, and no one else is available to perform them. "Oh, I'll just let my patients die and complain afterwards, I don't want to look like a baby."

Well it's nice to know people will find a way to use mental gymnastics to blame a doctor that legally paid for his seat and just wanted to see his patients.

Just absurd.

mAcOdIn

HE FUCKING TOLD THEM.

Did you even read the story?
So? How many times do you think that they're told by a passenger denied passage that their case is special? How do they verify that in a timely manner? And again merely having patients doesn't tell you whether it's dire or not, he could just be doing routine shit that's easily covered by his coworkers for all we know.

The problem's not that they ignored his objection, frankly, I don't think people should be stuck trying to outbid each other over how important it is they're not the one kicked off a flight, it's that we allow overbooking at all. But if we are going to allow overbooking then you have to make peace with the fact that sometimes people are going to be removed from flights. If you're not ok with that the answer isn't to turn the crew into judges of the importance of their passengers' lives but make overbooking illegal.

seanoff

The DOT provides this guide where the airline arranges substitute transportation –

Delay Domestic flights International flights
No compensation. 0 to 1 hour arrival delay 0 to 1 hour arrival delay
200% of one-way fare (up to US$650) 1 to 2 hour arrival delay 1 to 4 hour arrival delay
400% of one-way fare (up to US$1,300). Over 2 hours arrival delay Over 4 hours arrival delay

+ accomodation, meals etc if its a long/overnight delay.

Depending on how much people paid they are due the above in CASH.

Do not take vouchers. Straight cash

Cerium

So? How many times do you think that they're told by a passenger denied passage that their case is special? How do they verify that in a timely manner? And again merely having patients doesn't tell you whether it's dire or not, he could just be doing routine shit that's easily covered by his coworkers for all we know.

The problem's not that they ignored his objection, frankly, I don't think people should be stuck trying to outbid each other over how important it is they're not the one kicked off a flight, it's that we allow overbooking at all. But if we are going to allow overbooking then you have to make peace with the fact that sometimes people are going to be removed from flights. If you're not ok with that the answer isn't to turn the crew into judges of the importance of their passengers' lives but make overbooking illegal.

I'm going to have to stop responding to you because I'm pretty sure I'll say something that will get me banned.

zelas

So messed up. Like United's shit is universally more important than everyone else's. That policy needs to go.

RMI

Banned
Not surprised to see a defense force. I don't see how anyone could ever fly on this airline again after seeing this shit.

At this point US companies might just start to rob people directly instead of playing farces like this.

As someone who travels frequently in the US I can assure you that the robbery has been in full swing for years.

...so since this company allows for its employees to take the seats of paying passengers, we should, as customers of this company, either let them do it and say wompwomp, or CHANGE THE LAW. Boy oh boy, you heard em, folks, it's just that easy.

CTLance

I still don't get how it was acceptable to prepare an incentive of 800$ per person, but not look into buying a plane or bus ticket for the four employees with that money. Even if UA doesn't manage to vacate four seats on that one flight, how did the scheduling become so tight that they couldn't find an alternative to beating up random customers and tanking their public image?

Also, given the likely fallout, they should have gone for a higher compensation before resorting to violence. I mean, dammit, a company has got to have some emergency funds lying around for, well, emergencies like that. A flight crew not turning up at their respective airport (and thus grounding the machine with all passengers on it) is definitely more expensive than paying four people 1600 USD or whatever they would have ended up with. Not to mention the PR damage.

Menchi

Why are you assuming that his business wasn't important enough to warrant this?

Let's say that he has life saving medical procedures scheduled, and no one else is available to perform them. "Oh, I'll just let my patients die and complain afterwards, I don't want to look like a baby."

Because anyone could have any number of reasons why they shouldn't be asked to leave. If you've done random selection you need to disregard individual circumstances and deal with the consequences afterwards.

It looks like he did have reason enough for United to get him back on the flight, as he did go back on, but he could have gotten that same result without refusing the airline security.

Again, it is absolutely shitty to do a customer but they have the right to ask him to leave and you comply and resolve afterwards. Physical removal is an escalation that you'd want to avoid, but if someone is refusing to leave, private business have the option to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom