• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

United Airlines violently drags a doctor off a plane so employee could take his seat

Why do you fly United?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Isotropy

If the law is supposedly on their side (which fucking sucks), that just makes it crucial that this shitstorm spiral ever more out of control so that they're forced to amend their ways through the court of public opinion, if not a court of law.

That's not what terrorism is though. He was treated like shit and airlines need to fix whatever policy this is, but terrorism is not the discussion to be had here.
If he did it to them, it would have been terrorism though? I of course agree with not derailing, but I'm genuinely curious. I don't see why the door should only swing one way.

Ripped from top hit, could be inaccurate

A person engages in domestic terrorism if they do an act ""dangerous to human life"" that is a violation of the criminal laws of a state or the United States, if the act appears to be intended to: (i) intimidate or coerce a civilian population;

If you can't tell, I'm having fun with it.

milkham

If he did it to them, it would have been terrorism though? I of course agree with not derailing, but I'm genuinely curious. I don't see why the door should only swing one way.

Ripped from top hit, could be inaccurate

lol good luck trying to get a court to agree that airport cops committed an act of terrorism. The door only goes one way.

Nerokis

If I'm understanding this situation correctly...

1). overbooking is a thing that is imperfect, legal, and might or might not be justified
2). as soon as it became clear that some customers would have to be deplaned, volunteers were sought, and offered a graduated amount of United credit until the amount approached the amount of cash United would have to give to someone in compensation for involuntarily bumping them
3). at this point, apparently (possibly?) by some algorithm, customers were chosen to be involuntarily bumped, and one of those refused to oblige
4). security (supplied by the Chicago Department of Aviation, it seems) was then called in to force the customer to disembark the plane

Right?

So a couple questions to start with: first, in relation to the specific situation being discussed in this thread, during which of those steps (1-4 + whatever I missed) was there a fuck up that moved the situation toward its horrible conclusion? Secondly, talking in a more general sense, which of those steps need to be changed/refined/clarified/whatever else on either a corporate or legal level, for business, social justice/consumer rights, and/or broader economic reasons?

I ask all this because I'm wondering what the takeaway from this situation should be. Obviously United sucks, but a lot of the factors that went into this particular situation are common across all airlines, and also reflect governmental standards across a good chunk of the world. Did this happen because of something specific to United? The corporate culture at United seems conducive to a poor application of common airline practices (e.g., an underemphasis on good customer service makes them a little quick to call in security) , but how much of what happened relates to that, and how much to the practices themselves? Should overbooking not be a thing? Is airline security ill-equipped to handle these kind of situations, or is the type of security we saw in the video a little too accessible for airlines to make use of in these kinds of situations in the first place?

Guess the key thing I'm conflicted on is this: I know this incident should spark change, but I don't know where that change should be concentrated.

All the armchair lawyers in here should probably read a real aviation lawyer's take on this:

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/04/10/united-airlines-removed-flight/

”Certainly you can be involuntarily bumped,” aviation attorney Joseph LoRusso told CBS4's Kelly Werthmann. ”Can you be forcibly removed in a situation like this? That's where we get into a bit of a gray area."

”To the extent this was taken, that creates an entirely different subject of whether it was overly forceful or beyond protocol," he said.

However, LoRusso questions if United Airlines was within its legal right to ask flight 3411 passengers for their seats because standby crew should not have priority over paying customers.

”Were we really dealing with selling more tickets than we had seats? It doesn't seem like that's the case, at which point the overbooking protocol seems to be unwarranted," LoRusso said.

And to his last part, 14 CFR 250.2a states "In the event of an oversold flight, every carrier shall ensure that the smallest practicable number of persons holding confirmed reserved space on that flight are denied boarding involuntarily."

Now, look at the summary of events posted earlier in this thread, which appears to be from the CEO:
C9FpX2oWAAEZXOr.jpg

United isn't denying that the seats sought were for a different United crew, as has been reported by other passengers on that flight. So this was not an "oversold flight" as required by the federal regulation. And in fact, the title of 14 CFR 250 is "Oversales". As a result, these regulations do not seem to apply to the situation at hand, where United was attempting to bump passengers not due to oversold tickets, but rather to get their crew on the flight.

So yeah, please continue telling everyone that this passenger doesn't have a cause of action to file suit against United. There will be a settlement on this, and it will be deserved.

depths20XX

I don't understand what you mean. If he was an airline employee who asked them to get off the plane forcefully? This discussion just seems misplaced. It's bad business practices that ended in a terrible situation. I don't see how terrorism fits in unless you have a misunderstanding of the term. I don't think it's relevant to this topic.

Audioboxer

If the "offer" is on the table, then why wasn't the "offer" used on the Employee? They could of waited for another flight instead of this.

I don't understand why you're trying so hard to defend this. This is on the news for being as fucked up as it is and you're defending it? This is the type of stuff that shouldn't be allowed to be forced upon citizens anywhere on any plane or transport system.

This stuff wouldn't be allowed on a public Bus, Train or even Taxi.

If someone has paid for their right to travel, then they shouldn't be physically abused if they're just sitting in the seat they paid for.

Employees probably have some 'claim' that they need to get to the destination on time to be used on connecting flights. I'm assuming they were on work, not on a pleasure trip.

I give up with the constant emotional remarks of I'm defending the actions. I'm not. I'm doing what anyone critically trying to decipher whether there is a lawsuit against the bumping and the violence, or just excessive force. We're all going to get an answer here anyway, lawyers will be all over this. Although I did post one lawyer a few pages back saying for better or worse the lawsuit here will be around excessive force, not an airline being able to ask you to leave the cabin, because he says they can.

Why can't this shit be discussed? It'll affect the future and what people can and can't expect airlines to be able to do after the gate. Fair enough I should maybe have waited a few days, but the conversation snowballed from one or two questions to about 15 different people debating and me constantly replying to people. Isn't that what the forums exist for? I've learned some shit I didn't know and I'll be damned if it's just me who's lacking in 'knowledge' around this. While everyone can agree using physical violence is unacceptable and UA fucked up, I don't see why from that it's not reasonable to try and realize all the points they fucked up on, and some where they might not be able to be legally attacked.

I haven't seen many engaging with Syriel for this http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=233694414 Covering many attempts to discuss things objectively. Yes it's one huge post which is easy to ignore versus all of mine. However, as I said most of mine have been replying to people quoting me. Anyway, I'll give it a rest unless for a night. I genuinely did email the author of that AP article asking if they know more about the airline being able to bump in the cabin.

If I'm understanding this situation correctly...

1). overbooking is a thing that is imperfect, legal, and might or might not be justified
2). as soon as it became clear that some customers would have to be deplaned, volunteers were sought, and offered a graduated amount of United credit until the amount approached the amount of cash United would have to give to someone in compensation for involuntarily bumping them
3). at this point, apparently (possibly?) by some algorithm, customers were chosen to be involuntarily bumped, and one of those refused to oblige
4). security (supplied by the Chicago Department of Aviation, it seems) was then called in to force the customer to disembark the plane

Right?

So a couple questions to start with: first, in relation to the specific situation being discussed in this thread, during which of those steps (1-4 + whatever I missed) was there a fuck up that moved the situation toward its horrible conclusion? Secondly, talking in a more general sense, which of those steps need to be changed/refined/clarified/whatever else on either a corporate or legal level, for business, social justice/consumer rights, and/or broader economic reasons?

I ask all this because I'm wondering what the takeaway from this situation should be. Obviously United sucks, but a lot of the factors that went into this particular situation are common across all airlines, and also reflect governmental standards across a good chunk of the world. Did this happen because of something specific to United? The corporate culture at United seems conducive to a poor application of common airline practices (e.g., an underemphasis on good customer service makes them a little quick to call in security) , but how much of what happened relates to that, and how much to the practices themselves? Should overbooking not be a thing? Is airline security ill-equipped to handle these kind of situations, or is the type of security we saw in the video a little too accessible for airlines to make use of in these kinds of situations in the first place?

Guess the key thing I'm conflicted on is this: I know this incident should spark change, but I don't know where that change should be concentrated.

They didn't bump people off because of flight being overbooked, but for employees who had to be in Louisville to work on a different flight.

I accept that is the opinion of the majority of the thread, but I still think it'll be interesting to have it clarified how that holds up legally. A few posters a page or two back claimed boarding meant once the doors close and it is a fact just now involuntary bumping can and has been forced pre getting on the plane. It's rare but it can happen.

The debate is do things change for you legally once you're in a seat, from the point of view of the airline not being able to carry out bumping like they can for what the majority in here class as pre-boarding (gate).

I mean, if you want to have the legal conversation, by all means.

I'm not particularly interested in that myself, as there are a whole host of things that are legal that are not good. We've long discussed that the police have a strong legal stronghold in practices that I would consider unethical at best and heinous at worst. The same is true of many corporate practices. This is one of those situations.

As such, the legality is simply a matter of what they can enforce. It does not change the fact that it's not good.

Linkura

And they just keep doubling down.

As someone with a business degree, this level of PR disaster is absolutely fascinating to me. This would make a hilarious HBS case of what not to do in a sticky situation.

I think the only thing that could save them at this point is literally offering thousands upon thousands of free flights on a single day or some shit. They would just have to make sure not to overbook....

I don't understand what you mean. If he was an airline employee who asked them to get off the plane forcefully? This discussion just seems misplaced. It's bad business practices that ended in a terrible situation. I don't see how terrorism fits in unless you have a misunderstanding of the term. I don't think it's relevant to this topic.
I'm merely suggesting that if the roles were reversed and the passenger was the aggressor, it could have been labelled as an act of terror. Am I way out of normal bounds on this? Absolutely. I just wonder if anyone has ever thought of labelling law enforcement as terrorists, as that's what they appear to be to me these days.

I have completely lost respect for all law enforcement already in my life though, so maybe that's why I'm even thinking from this angle.

I do generally agree that this is a wild way to look at it, but strictly morally speaking, I'd classify it the same. If it can actually be classified as such is another story. Most likely not.

I am just blown away by the situation. To me they should receive maximum punishment and I'm just trying to figure out how one could really put the screws to them; if it were me I'd try to ruin their lives :)

Audioboxer

I mean, if you want to have the legal conversation, by all means.

I'm not particularly interested in that myself, as there are a whole host of things that are legal that are not good. We've long discussed that the police have a strong legal stronghold in practices that I would consider unethical at best and heinous at worst. The same is true of many corporate practices. This is one of those situations.

As such, the legality is simply a matter of what they can enforce. It does not change the fact that it's not good.

Again, I don't disagree, but until it can be deciphered whether it's legal or not, it can't be challenged correctly. If it is illegal then the way consumers can fight back will be different than if it's legal (for one lawsuits aren't going to be as 'easy' against something that is legal). You need to know what a perceived injustice is, to be able to fight against it.

Plus it's not just snowballing as a case for America but the EU too. Legislation in the EU almost mirrors the US. Just currency differences in compensation.

Even if the CEO goes, the staff are fired and something happens with that nutcase cop, if the policy is legal it could still continue (I just bet you'd see airlines skip customers to keep asking the next in line, rather than ever use force again).

NYR

Anderson Cooper: "That statement by the CEO has got to be among one of the worst statements I've heard from a CEO."

Video here:
https://twitter.com/AC360/status/851600794239545345
Yep. CEO has to go, talking out of one side of his mouth and then doing the other side to the employees. He fucked up, I really hope this is a lesson for them and he is forced out for this stupidity. Just goes to show he cares more about the bottom line than serving his customers and driving revenue that way

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yep. CEO has to go, talking out of one side of his mouth and then doing the other side to the employees. He fucked up, I really hope this is a lesson for them and he is forced out for this stupidity. Just goes to show he cares more about the bottom line than serving his customers and driving revenue that way
I'd be curious to see if enough public pressure and resentment could cause him to resign. If the CEO brings the company profit, and he does in this case, I don't see any board firing him at all otherwise. Unless this causes enough of a financial hit - and to be honest, I doubt many of these people claiming never to fly with United again will remember this in a month's time - I think he'll ride this through.

Again, I don't disagree, but until it can be deciphered whether it's legal or not, it can't be challenged correctly. If it is illegal then the way consumers can fight back will be different than if it's legal (for one lawsuits aren't going to be as 'easy' against something that is legal). You need to know what a perceived injustice is, to be able to fight against it.

Plus it's not just snowballing as a case for America but the EU too. Legislation in the EU almost mirrors the US. Just currency differences in compensation.

Yep yep. As I said, you can have that conversation and I'm certainly not shutting it down. I'm just not interested in engaging with it at this time.

Linkura

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nat...-last-month/zEQ0ezVpPkOpmFBCPDRt2I/story.html

Munoz was actually honored last month as PRWeek’s “Communicator of the Year.”

Munoz won the award “for his efforts over the past year to better engage with employees and customers as he led a dramatic transformation at the airline."

Communicator of the Year, ladies and gentlemen!

Dude is so fired.

Jeffrey

i dont get why they couldn't just run the passenger slot machine again?

Surely there was someone else that would have caved peacefully?

Does the software not allow a reroll?

So that witness demolishes official line from United and police how doctor was loud, behaving badly etc. and was driving reason for why he was removed.

Yeah that's pretty damning all around. I don't buy the random computer lottery thing anymore either. They singled the doctor out because he initially thought he might be able to do it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Amazes me how badly their PR is handling this incident.

This is the CEO's email to his employees:

This feels like one of those things that spirals out of control until he has to quit. And where else will united find a sociopath with an MBA who can focus solely on quarterly earnings and screwing consumers at every turn.

Again united is the real victim.

Nerokis

And to his last part, 14 CFR 250.2a states "In the event of an oversold flight, every carrier shall ensure that the smallest practicable number of persons holding confirmed reserved space on that flight are denied boarding involuntarily."

United isn't denying that the seats sought were for a different United crew, as has been reported by other passengers on that flight. So this was not an "oversold flight" as required by the federal regulation. And in fact, the title of 14 CFR 250 is "Oversales". As a result, these regulations do not seem to apply to the situation at hand, where United was attempting to bump passengers not due to oversold tickets, but rather to get their crew on the flight.

They didn't bump people off because of flight being overbooked, but for employees who had to be in Louisville to work on a different flight.

This is an interesting wrinkle in the conversation, and now we're getting into legal issues that I doubt most of us in this thread know especially well.

But I'd hesitate to conclude that what happened doesn't register as "overbooking" because employees had to be accounted for. If it's standard procedure to have a standby crew (this is how the article TangoAlphaLima linked to characterized the employees in question), or to ensure seats are available to employees for whatever logistical reasons, does the law on overbooking keep that in mind when considering available seats, or does it refer to literally every potential passenger seat on the plane?

This is an interesting wrinkle in the conversation, and now we're getting into legal issues that I doubt most of us in this thread know especially well.

But I'd hesitate to conclude that what happened doesn't register as "overbooking" because employees had to be accounted for. If it's standard procedure to have a standby crew (this is how the article TangoAlphaLima linked to characterized the employees in question), or to ensure seats are available to employees for whatever logistical reasons, does the law on overbooking keep that in mind when considering available seats, or does it refer to literally every potential passenger seat on the plane?

The lawyer from the article I posted seems to think overbooking protocol doesn't apply when the seats being sought are for United employees, so I'm going to defer to him on this one.

Yeah that's pretty damning all around. I don't buy the random computer lottery thing anymore either. They singled the doctor out because he initially thought he might be able to do it.

Yeah, that's a pretty interesting twist that he originally offered then rescinded and then "magically" got picked to give up his seat.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I did a project for a major airline. This particular airlines system to control flights on the backend was OS3200.

It literally took them 4 weeks to provision a single desktop PC. Someone would have to call the Active Directory team to "Create the AD object" then once that was done, someone else could image the machine with SCCM. Then depending on the type of PC it was, IE was it a gate pc or a check in pc, ticketing machine or a kiosk it needed certain permissions all of which were controlled by back end databases. No problem right? Wrong. One of those systems was a back end SQL database, where they had a guy, literally a single guy who all he did was manually receive the request and put it into the database. For other types of PCs there were two people, and they would receive the request assign it a number, then wait a week to two weeks for the OS3200 mainframe to do a full dump of its data and re import it all back into the system. Their tracking method to keep track of these assignments? Literally printed out pieces of paper kept in a drawer at their desks.

The craziest part for me was the OS3200 mainframe that controlled everything was managed by one guy, who started at the company in like 1968, and had been managing the mainframe since the 70s and he was still there. I'm like this dude has been jacking with this manframe longer than i've been alive.

Part of my task was to automate all this, and to document/discover it all. It never got done because of dysfunction at the airline and my own company. No one would make a damn decision. The back end SQL automation was super easy, but no one cared. Very annoying, was so happy to get the hell off that project.

NeOak

I did a project for a major airline. This particular airlines system to control flights on the backend was OS3200.

It literally took them 4 weeks to provision a single desktop PC. Someone would have to call the Active Directory team to "Create the AD object" then once that was done, someone else could image the machine with SCCM. Then depending on the type of PC it was, IE was it a gate pc or a check in pc, ticketing machine or a kiosk it needed certain permissions all of which were controlled by back end databases. No problem right? Wrong. One of those systems was a back end SQL database, where they had a guy, literally a single guy who all he did was manually receive the request and put it into the database. For other types of PCs there were two people, and they would receive the request assign it a number, then wait a week to two weeks for the OS3200 mainframe to do a full dump of its data and re import it all back into the system. Their tracking method to keep track of these assignments? Literally printed out pieces of paper kept in a drawer at their desks.

The craziest part for me was the OS3200 mainframe that controlled everything was managed by one guy, who started at the company in like 1968, and had been managing the mainframe since the 70s and he was still there. I'm like this dude has been jacking with this manframe longer than i've been alive.

Part of my task was to automate all this, and to document/discover it all. It never got done because of dysfunction at the airline and my own company. No one would make a damn decision. The back end SQL automation was super easy, but no one cared. Very annoying, was so happy to get the hell off that project.

I am amazed how IAH/HOU work at all with things like these.

Syriel

It's also repeatedly described as "denied boarding compensation" in the "Involuntary Bumping" section; both sections are clearly talking about passengers who have not boarded the plane.

And the law also talks about planes "in-flight" which are clearly on the ground.

Oh cool, so if I turn up after boarding closes they'll just put me on the next flight because I only really bought carriage from A to B?

Most airlines will do this at no charge if they have space available.

- air travel is essential infrastructure
- businesses may be more efficient at delivering essential infrastructure, but if they are not, then the government should nationalize them in the public interest
- satisfaction with airlines is low and not rising
- all airlines provide essentially an identical service except for the routes they serve and their tolerance for passing on misery to passengers under the guise of cost savings

not saying

just saying

What you're asking for is regulated services. Which is what the US had up until the 80s. You'll get better service, higher reliability, and higher prices. Which is certainly an option and may be worth returning to since the market has promoted a race-to-the-bottom. But higher prices will price out some low fare flyers.

When you're flying coast-to-coast for $300 or less, you're not making the airline a profit. You're keeping it from losing more money (as there is a fixed cost to flying the plane), but the full cost of that seat is being subsidized by higher fare flyers.

Going back to regulated services will mean less of a range of prices, and likely more flexibility in buying close-in, at the cost of a higher average fare price. Great for the upper-middle-class set that can absorb the cost. No-as-great for the lower-middle-class.

I thought I read that their flight they needed to make was tomorrow, so I don't understand why they didn't just wait till the next flight to Louisville today (United has several), and do it properly.

There are legal requirements around rest periods. Not meeting that requirement means the crew cannot legally work.

Yeah but this is just the federally mandated amount ? I don't think there's anything stopping airlines for going up more? I wouldn't be surprised if their management wants them to just do the legally mandated minimum and not any more before calling security.

That is likely. You can sometimes get a little above the legally mandated minimum payout if you negotiate voluntarily for vouchers, but the airline isn't going to pay out more than the legal amount for an invol.

That's one of the issues that was cited by the NYU Law Review paper I quoted in my last post.

Holy batman, big post! Can you link to anything that says that? I've been pulling my hair out all night trying to solve this goose chase I started myself. Other points you made to me I've either been schooled on by others, or found myself. I now know being picked means "not having a choice", as in it can be forced legally, but I will still stand-by for the airline's sake during this mess on the plane they should just have gone to another passenger when this passenger did not want to comply.

I guess if that is true they can state "denied boarding" is any time up until the doors close? Not just boarding ends after the gates.

I don't have a Lexis account, but the bit that came to mind earlier was from 49 U.S.C. § 46501 which defines an aircraft in-flight.

In this chapter--  

”aircraft in flight" means an aircraft from the moment all external doors are closed following boarding--  

through the moment when one external door is opened to allow passengers to leave the aircraft;  or  

until, if a forced landing, competent authorities take over responsibility for the aircraft and individuals and property on the aircraft.

Since the US Transportation code was raised earlier, which I take to mean the U.S. Code section on Transportation, 49 USC Section 42301(i)(3)(A) would seem to contradict the earlier statement that passengers are considered "boarded" only when the aircraft doors have been closed.

The section states in part:

"awaiting takeoff after the aircraft doors have been closed or after passengers have been boarded if the passengers have not been advised they are free to deplane"

If aircraft doors closing and passengers boarded were one and the same, the code would not have treated the two as two separate events. The language of "or after passengers have been boarded..." would imply that a passenger can be considered "boarded" prior to the closing of the aircraft doors.

That section you quote does not contradict what I said earlier. It adds an "on tarmac" definition to avoid airlines claiming that a flight has not taken off (which is normally recorded when the announcement is made that boarding is over and the door is closed) while at the same time preventing passengers from deplaning.

Basically, if passengers can get on-and-off the plane, boarding is still occurring and the plane is not "in-flight" or "on tarmac." Once the door shuts or the crew tells the passengers they cannot disembark then the timer for "on tarmac" starts for recording delays before takeoff.

In this very case, that would not apply to indicate that boarding had been concluded as the airline reps were very clearly trying to get people off the plane. It had not yet met either condition that would move it from the "boarding" status to "in-flight" or "on tarmac" status.

They don't offer cash. It's always travel vouchers.

I've travelled with them for years.

In United vouchers also, which isn't mentioned in the report either.

Not sure if this has already been answered, but
-Was the guy they dragged off previously offered the $1000? (Ed: in vouchers? lol useless)
-How much did he pay for his flight?
-How did they pick people to bump?

Yeah, had they offered cash or gift cards instead of the shitty travel vouchers with expiration dates, someone would have gone for it.

You only get the cash if it is invol. If voluntary, then it is vouchers.

United picks people after sorting by FF status, fare class, and check-in time. Individuals are then chosen from the lowest ranked group. Basically, if you are a no status flyer, who always buys the cheapest fare and you don't check-in until you arrive at the airport, you are in the group that is most likely to get bumped should you be unlucky enough to end up in an invol situation.

In all honesty I wouldn't be surprised if other American Airlinelines try to avoid talking about this that much, more rules to help the passengers instead of the airlines would be bad for them.

All airlines follow the same procedures regarding voluntary and invol bumps. No other US airline is going to throw shade, because they do the same and as soon as they throw shade they know it's going to come back and bite them in the ass.

This is not a United problem. This is a systemic problem.

There is worth in discussing the realities of the tickets we buy, otherwise what, just never fly again? As much as all the other airlines are getting free PR out of this, it remains to be a valid question if all of them can too both voluntarily and involuntarily bump in the cabin.

I'm pretty certain no airline is ever going to use force like this again, because there probably is a lawsuit in wait here for excessive force. However, that doesn't answer if an airline can cock up like this again with staff boarding and then legally be able to ask for volunteers, and then move onto mandatory random selection.

Other airlines can and do do this. Yes, they can legally move on to invol bumps if no one accepts a voluntary bump. The only thing that would prevent another airline from doing so right now is public image and the PR hit. There is no law or regulation preventing them from doing so.

Right, the email isn't talking about offering anyone cash at all. It's trying to make it sound like something happened that never did. He was never offered any money at any point. The email references something else completely

Once you are chosen for an invol bump, the only option is cash.

Interesting. If the passenger is delayed more than 3 or 4 hours they can be compensated up to 400% or max $1300. I still don't know the specifics of the flight. Were they offering him a flight home the next day? If so, they should have offered 400% the cost of the one way fare.

Voluntary and invol always includes travel home in addition to the comp. The cash comp for an invol bump doesn't strand you. The cash comp is the legal requirement to compensate you for the delay.

The question as to if it is enough is a legitimate one, but it is designed so that people don't have to go to court to hash out how much their time is worth. The statue provides a value.

If the law is supposedly on their side (which fucking sucks), that just makes it crucial that this shitstorm spiral ever more out of control so that they're forced to amend their ways through the court of public opinion, if not a court of law.

The court of public opinion is the strongest venue for change, but it will quickly fade. People, in general, are selfish and aren't going to bother sticking with a cause beyond Facebook and Twitter. To see real change, there will need to be action from Congress. And with the GOP in charge, you're more likely to find an undiscovered swimming hole in Death Valley than get aviation regulations changed.

All the armchair lawyers in here should probably read a real aviation lawyer's take on this:

Now, look at the summary of events posted earlier in this thread, which appears to be from the CEO:

So yeah, please continue telling everyone that this passenger doesn't have a cause of action to file suit against United. There will be a settlement on this, and it will be deserved.

And here is another aviation lawyer:

Alexander Bachuwa said:
The bottom line is that airlines hold the power to deny someone boarding and to remove someone from the flight. The legal issue may be whether the police used unnecessary force in dealing with the situation. I highly doubt they will be held liable. The passenger was asked to leave and did not, as bad as that sounds.

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/04/your-rights-on-involuntary-bumps/

That is a given.

Employees (or people flying on employee passes) for pleasure are the lowest-of-the-low when it comes to boarding priority. They'll get bumped off for pretty much anyone else at a moment's notice.

Employees who are traveling for work are usually tagged as must fly, with the exception being commuting crew who don't live at their home base.

Nerokis

The lawyer from the article I posted seems to think overbooking protocol doesn't apply when the seats being sought are for United employees, so I'm going to defer to him on this one.

He does. However, there's a practical issue to be considered here that makes me wonder how the law has been applied. Because we know it's incredibly common to oversell tickets, right? If it's also common to account for employees when considering seat availability for costumers, how often has overbooking law actually been applicable to the situations its been invoked in? Do airlines typically make a different choice from United, and simply don't seat their employees when a flight has reached capacity? And if there's some meaningful reason that employees need to be prioritized sometimes (or regularly), well, doesn't there seem to be a bit of tension there, depending on how you interpret overbooking law?

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

Best case I've seen so far for United getting smoked in court on this. The flight wasn't even oversold. They're cooked. Or at least, they should be.

Ah yes, the aviation lawyer that gives no actual analysis of the situation, yet comes to the conclusion that the airline was in the right. And from the blogger who blames the victim. Great source you have there.

My source pointed out how the facts of this case differ from a standard overbooking, and noted that it was a potential gray area at best, and at worst was simply not authorized under federal law. I think my source is just a bit more credible than yours.

He does. However, there's a practical issue to be considered here that makes me wonder how the law has been applied. Because we know it's incredibly common to oversell tickets, right? If it's also common to account for employees when considering seat availability for costumers, how often has overbooking law actually been applicable to the situations its been invoked in? Do airlines typically make a different choice from United, and simply don't seat their employees when a flight has reached capacity? And if there's some meaningful reason that employees need to be prioritized sometimes (or regularly), well, doesn't there seem to be a bit of tension there, depending on how you interpret overbooking law?

This probably happens all the time, but passengers don't actually know they're being bumped for another flight crew, because the airline isn't dumb enough to do it at the last minute after the plane is 100% boarded. The airlines probably just tell passengers the flight was overbooked at the gate, not mentioning that some or all of those "overbooked" seats are being given to airline employees. Had United done this, no one would have known the difference, and we wouldn't have the awful video of the passenger being dragged down the aisle. They botched this horribly.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Amazes me how badly their PR is handling this incident.

This is the CEO's email to his employees:
I want to see this guy destroyed. Fuck him, hope he rots in prison and has to sell his cars and properties to pay the victim. He deserves no less than that. Damn, absolutely zero remorse or regret, he's a piece of shit.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Ah yes, the aviation lawyer that gives no actual analysis of the situation, yet comes to the conclusion that the airline was in the right. And from the blogger who blames the victim. Great source you have there.

My source pointed out how the facts of this case differ from a standard overbooking, and noted that it was a potential gray area at best, and at worst was simply not authorized under federal law. I think my source is just a bit more credible than yours.

People keep brushing over the use of force. It's not clear that forced removal was authorised in this case. It doesn't seem to fall under any of the published rules. There is nothing about forced removal under the sections about overbooking and it's not clear the customer did anything that would require forced removal when looking at the sections that do reference it.

The story is about the forced removal of a passenger, it's not clear to me that this was done in accordance with regulations at all.

They can't just violently pull you from a plane for any reason and it's not clear that an overbooked flight is a reason that's covered to violently assault someone to free up a seat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom