• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Universal Studios developing Gears of War movie

Nzyme32

If Lester Speight ie Terry Tate, is not Cole Train, I will actually protest.

Guaranteed Oscar winning performamce of the official voice of WOOOOWOOOO

Terry-tate-pain-train-o.gif

Gears of War is big enough and daft enough to translate into a really good sci fi action film but its got to have a realistic budget that reflects that. Got to be huge.

You know, they could create a more interesting world, lore and characters with the movie. Just because it may not be the greatest thing ever in the games doesn't mean the writer(s) can't remedy that if even to an extent.

Jawmuncher

You know, they could create a more interesting world, lore and characters with the movie. Just because it may not be the greatest thing ever in the games doesn't mean the writer(s) can't remedy that if even to an extent.

If they actually wanted to start at the pendulum wars it would be interesting. There's a lot of good stuff in the universe that has been kept to the books and comics.

The only way this could somkeind good is if it is that bad that is actually good.
Also, don't ruin the games because of extended universe like Halo

jelly

I know people like to laugh at games as movies but come on now, blockbuster films and AAA games are close enough in character and story telling give or take. Half the battle is done with world design, basic story and characters, surely film studios can brush up that and the rest to make a good film.

xRaizen

Terry Crews is the only acceptable choice for the Cole Train.

Also I want at least 10 curb stomps in the movie, 5 sniper "pop" headshots, and 20 chainsaw kills.

Jawmuncher

Also I want at least 10 curb stomps in the movie, 5 sniper "pop" headshots, and 20 chainsaw kills.

I do wonder if part of why they are trying again, is due to the resurgence of R rated films.
I don't think you can do gears justice as a PG-13 film.

Nzyme32

What the fuck?!?

Do you not know who the voice actor is and how he already perfectly is Cole Train?!

terry-tate-approves-this-message.jpg

Game IP could be the next big thing if studios are struggling for ideas and the comic overload. There just needs to be that 'Iron Man' 'Spiderman' success with game IP.

Iron Man? The comic book movie trend started well before that came out, I think you mean X-Men.

Regardless, I think it'll be a long time before games even have the potential to be the 'next movie trend'. Superheroes didn't just pop up overnight, they've been around for decades and are ingrained into our culture, there are very few game franchises you could say the same thing about.

Fuck CGI, let there be only great make up and animatronics/puppetry. Try to trick my eyes, just like Mad Max Fury Road did.

More at the link below from Variety

The film adaptation, announced during a livestream for the upcoming release of “Gears of War 4,” is being developed with Universal Pictures under the eye of veteran film producers Scott Stuber (“Ted,” “The Kingdom”) and Dylan Clark (“Rise of the Planet of the Apes”). A movie based on the popular third-person shooter franchise has been rumored for years, but Rod Fergusson, studio head of game developer The Coalition, said now was the right time to make the leap to film.

“As a way to support the franchise the next logical step was to make the movie,” Fergusson told Variety. “We’d done comics and novels in the past but the opportunity to work with Universal to bring the movie to life was perfect.”

It’s unclear at this point whether the film will be a straight adaptation of the games, which originally followed soldier Marcus Fenix in his fight against an invading threat known as the Locust, or if it will be an all-new story set in the universe.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/gears-of-war-movie-microsoft-universal-1201879152/

Cautiously optimistic...

oo7

Do people actually care about the plot in gears of war?

I just finished 3 last weekend and couldn't tell you anything about the story aside from it being kind of like Halo CE.

You beat Gears 3, and can't tell us ANYTHING about it? Man, I was legit shook when you know...happened.

I know nothing of Gears and I know nothing of Halo, but I'm surprised Gears is getting one first. If they are unwilling to really show those soldier guys ripping into the monsters with that chainsaw thing, cancel it.

Busty

Banned
Blah.

Who cares?

If Universal ever get round to making this it will be some Resident Evil level rubbish. I read the script that New Line had for this back in the day and I just cannot see how a property like this will ever translate into a 'AAA' film/franchise.

rockyt

Not sure how to feel about this. Most video game to movie comes out really bad with maybe 1 or 2 being so so.

Blah.

Who cares?

If Universal ever get round to making this it will be some Resident Evil level rubbish. I read the script that New Line had for this back in the day and I just cannot see how a property like this will ever translate into a 'AAA' film/franchise.

You're on the wrong side of town...

partner *lasso*

The way Rod's explaining how it can't just be a movie for gamers is exactly why Warcraft and others weren't very good. I'll stay cautiously optimistic.

Shit, Warcraft was literally for people who had played the damn games, I had no clue what was going on for the first while there

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
From a lore perspective, there's a lot of cool stuff that can be molded into a neato action scifi flick. Like most game to movie adaptations, they're probably fuck it up.

EBE

rated R, please. practical effects where possible. none of this cg blood bullshit.
could be fun if these two things are met.

Thewonandonly

Could someone explain to me what the source material has what would make a good movie?
Let's go aliens on this series hall ready.

First gears movie is all about E-day and your a random family that has to survive the locust onslaught. Running away watching your family get killed some dark shit. Then the very last act your in a abandoned house sleeping and you here a rustling. Waking up you see a god damn berserk down the hallway. After a intense game of hide and sick Baird and Cole come in and save the day. "Welcome to alpha squad" or whatever squad they were on before dom's

Second movie is all action baby. I'm talking the raid of shooters with you and the Cole train tearing shit up. Then the last act you split up from the group then you hear Baird talking to marcues about needing rescued. Then you die by RAAM. Aka your that dead person they talk about in the first game that was a good man I don't remember his name

Vic_Viper

Releasing alongside the Halo movie?

I can't believe a Gears movie could happen before a Halo one.

There was a Halo movie in production but it became something else but I forget now what. Maybe Elysium, or something around that time. Whatever it was it was bad and it's probably for the best they didn't go ahead with Halo. Either series could do well though in the big screen imo, way better than WoW could.

Proelite

Find out what makes a great zombie movie and make a great zombie movie. Except the zombies have guns and look like locust molemen.

Oh yeah have it be on modern day Earth instead of Sera.

eso76

Makes sense.
Could make a decent, relatively speaking, silly bombastic action movie.
It won't.
But it could.
But it won't.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
A Michael Bay Gears of War movie with Batista as Marcus, Lester Speight as Cole Train, Chris Pratt as Baird and the Rock as Dom would be kind of amazing.

shira

Is GoW even popular enough?

I thought AC was barely popular enough, and something like WC which is one of the most popular franchises in the world barely made bank in NA

Blah.

Who cares?

This is why you aren't a film maker...

It wouldn't be hard to translate this into a major film franchise... it would just take the right script treatment and vision, like any movie. Whether we get the proper treatment and vision or just a quick cash grab however is another thing entirely.

Top Bottom