• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

University ignores warnings about Milo, leaving him free to bully trans student

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjp2417

Banned
Why would the university invite him to speak in the first place? He has nothing of value to add to a learning community. Are the people who invited him idiots or hateful? I don't get it.

Right wing organizations, which are a minority within universities, have co-opted the victimization argument from minority groups that actually were the victims of things like literal slavery and attempted genocide. Unsurprisingly, these organizations cynically abuse this as a political cudgel. College administrators such as the one in question look the other way out of moral cowardice or political expediency. This is the result.

NeOak

He was invited by this group: http://tpusa.com/

4ZQknrY.png

Apparently there are none?

x3za6JU.png

Ohhh I have to buy the booklet

Tarydax

Banned
Jesus, it is getting more and more difficult to pick sides as a libertarian in this post-Trump world. Do you honestly hate a person for standing for the principles of open debate and free exchange of ideas? To the point that you see such a person as a potential war criminal in an existential struggle against fascism?

You already picked your side if you think that hatred of fascism and indifference to it is the same as hatred of minorities.

open debate and free exchange of ideas

Do you think that the humanity of minorities is up for debate? Is "Are Jews People?" (thanks, a lot, CNN) a debate worth having?

These are yes or no questions.

Well, good for you, but I don't see how you are supposed win upcoming elections with that kind of rhetoric.

I don't know if you noticed, but love lost across the board. Russ Feingold ran a campaign totally based around that, and he ran behind Hillary. The Democratic National Convention was overflowing with positive emotions, and what happened? They got clobbered in the election.

Also, Democrats allowing the humanity of minorities to be questioned would be the ultimate losing strategy. If the next Democratic presidential nominee were to say anything less forceful than "They're human, end of story, it's not up for debate" the party would never win another election ever again. But I'm sure you already knew that.

I'm not even talking about just GAF. I'm talking in general. College campuses, churches, workplaces, forums, comment sections, anywhere people gather, there are insidious assholes who use our tactic of encouraging inclusiveness to secure a spot for themselves at the table, ensuring that we don't use their tactics of exclusion against them. They cling to some imaginary moral highground wherein they can continue finger wagging at anybody who dares to call out the sheer stupidity and hypocrisy of asking for tolerance of intolerance.

These people are virulent, poisonous, infectious, and they need to be excised immediately. A man like Milo is a parasite who only exists to spread disease, and anyone playing host to him is a fucking idiot and should be treated as a leper.

Excellent post.

It's both infuriating and terrifying. One of the worst parts is, our so-called liberal mainstream media is helping them every step of the way (CNN chyron: "Alt-Right founder questions if Jews are people").

Why is there even an argument about silencing political opposition when it's about silencing harassment. The attempt to silence him isn't because his views are different, it's because he actively harms people with his platform.

The college has fault in this. The speaker wasn't someone who did this out of the blue, there is a clear history behind it.

If a college invites someone to speak who has a prevalent history of committing a crime (you can come up with one yourself) and he goes on campus and commits this crime, the college has some responsibility.

This isn't some safe space bullshit. The idea of protecting students from actual harm isn't coddling.

No I'm not, again I respect anyone's decision to not attempt to take part in the conversation. What I don't agree with is not allowing others on campus to try and engage in the conversation

good night

You keep talking about enabling a conversation but you are just enabling harassment. I'm all for the conversation part.

I'm gonna hone in on one thing that always makes me laugh in regards to the role of government and conservatives.
he states that liberals used government to 'weasel' their way into female locker rooms, suggesting a cowardly approach and a dependence on big government, yet the right often want to impose control over marriage rights, abortion rights etc.

benjipwns

Banned
So obviously mentally deranged. Needs to be on a long term course of therapy.
Conversion therapy?!?

I'm gonna hone in on one thing that always makes me laugh in regards to the role of government and conservatives.
he states that liberals used government to 'weasel' their way into female locker rooms, suggesting a cowardly approach and a dependence on big government, yet the right often want to impose control over marriage rights, abortion rights etc.
I would have to imagine Milo and his audience are more liberal on those issues than the standard conservative however.

Dude, I'm not even kidding, I guarantee if a Matthew Shepard type story happened right now, there would be multiple posts on GAF about how if we'd just hear out frustrated straight males they wouldn't be misunderstood and disaffected enough to tie up a gay man and drag him from the back of a truck.
I thought that story was far more complex than simply "straight males" in the end?

I am all for different viewpoints being able to share their thoughts at universities. But this is just hate speech and bullying. Who is inviting this guy and is he getting paid for it? Because if university money goes to this, that should be stopped right away.

Also amazed nobody has walked up to him and punched him in the face at one of these things.

Ethranes

In real life I'm quite left wing, when it comes to the issues that matter, but I'm quite sure I'm a minority conservative when it comes to GAF.

GAF liberal thinking as of late is to impose restrictions on what I can say, who is allowed to speak, micromanaging my thoughts and voice to a certain criteria that they have deemed safe.

To be fair, I think this is a fault of the internet, not just this forum.

Kinsei

Banned
In real life I'm quite left wing, when it comes to the issues that matter, but I'm quite sure I'm a minority conservative when it comes to GAF.

GAF liberal thinking as of late is to impose restrictions on what I can say, who is allowed to speak, micromanaging my thoughts and voice to a certain criteria that they have deemed safe.

Oh no, you can't call people slurs anymore. I'm so sorry T_T.

What a fucking joke.

MUnited83

For you.

I mean if all you want is insult, harass and stalk, you will be rightfully banned from most forums. Those are good fucking restrictions to have.

Then just go to 4chan, where free speech "blooms and blossoms" without consequence and restriction.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member

I mean, I'm not seeing what restriction has been imposed on you that doesn't include insulting language that would've broke ToS anyway.

watershed

Banned

Are you responding to something or just declaring that you are afraid GAF is trying to control your thoughts? What a weird post.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Who's micromanaging your damn speech?

This is a free and open liberal democracy (emphasis on liberal - freedom of speech is a liberal value, and don't you forget it. It's the right wing authoritarians who might actually force your mouth shut if things get worse). You can say whatever you want! Who's stopping you?

But what the Miloverse alt-right anti-"regressive left" world has done is dupe you into conflating other people's freedom of speech - when they tell you to shut the fuck up for being hateful - and make your think that is infringing on your freedom of speech.

This is a free society and everyone is open to say whatever they want. But if people use that speech to say "get that annoying alt-right troll off the stage or I won't contribute to your organization", you've got to deal with the consequences.

The left is the real "freedom of speech" team. The right is tricking you into thinking some freedom of speech is unacceptable by crying when you object to hoisting their message onto a private platform.

FyreWulff

Jesus, it is getting more and more difficult to pick sides as a libertarian in this post-Trump world. Do you honestly hate a person for standing for the principles of open debate and free exchange of ideas? To the point that you see such a person as a potential war criminal in an existential struggle against fascism?

Well, good for you, but I don't see how you are supposed win upcoming elections with that kind of rhetoric.

Universities should promote debate and people should question these people rather than stop them from speaking.

For the last time, the identity and humanity of transpersons is not up for fucking debate

Milo is the scum of the earth, and fun fact, a top choice for press secretary.

That said, Kramer's response didn't help matters. People like Milo, the rest of Breitbart, and Tomi Lahren love to paint liberals as melting snowflakes, and her response fell right in line with that. The best way to beat a bully is to stand up to them, stand your ground, and fight back, not yell about it to the newspaper and quit the school. I'm not saying she deserved it, but her response played right into his hands.

HER LIFE IS IN DANGER SOLELY DUE TO HER IDENTITY

DO YOU NOT GET THIS

ARE YOU THIS OBTUSE

TRANSPERSONS LITERALLY GET KILLED FOR STANDING UP TO TRANSPHOBES AND SOLELY FOR BEING TRANS

Dude, you're complaining in a low energy, passive aggressive way that people think a college shouldn't give a platform to this kind of harassing:
In his speech – which was streamed on the internet by far-right news outlet Breitbart – Yiannopoulos singled out Milwaukee engineering student Adelaide Kramer, showing pictures of her on a PowerPoint presentation and mocking her as a “man in a dress” who “I’d almost still bang”.

Maledict

Conversion therapy?!?

I would have to imagine Milo and his audience are more liberal on those issues than the standard conservative however.

I thought that story was far more complex than simply "straight males" in the end?

Do tell us the truth of Matthew Shepherds murder why don't you?

FyreWulff

To re-iterate: one of the many reasons you're not supposed to use deadnames or out someone who transitioned to other people, even if they've outed to you personally, is you never know who will do what with that information, including stalking and killing the person solely for being trans.

benjipwns

Banned
Here is the university's statement in response to a pretty amazing eight page rant from Kramer:
Michelle Johnson of University Relations & Communications provided this statement in response to Kramer’s email:

As you know, Milo Yiannopoulos’ speech was sponsored by a student organization, Turning Point USA. The university administration felt it had to allow his visit because the university cannot bar a speaker based on his or her views when the speaker has been invited by a student organization. Administrators consulted the Student Association on this point and were told the university’s decision was consistent with campus policy.

That said, the administration does not in any way share or support Yiannopoulos’ views, and we understand and empathize with the students and employees who opposed his appearance and are distressed by his remarks.

Knowing Yiannopoulos’ reputation for making controversial remarks, we sent several email messages before his appearance, advising students and employees of counseling and other resources available to them. We didn’t know in advance if Milo would target anyone specific on our campus, so we couldn’t reach out to any particular individual before the speech.

We did feel that it was important to respond quickly in the student’s defense. Because the event ended late, a staff member reached out to the student this morning to let her know about counseling and other available support services. We hope they can connect, and the student will take advantage of those services.
http://mediamilwaukee.com/top-stori...sgender-lockerroom-policy-breitbart-alt-right

And others have to take it extra far:
vJUIiol.png

Do tell us the truth of Matthew Shepherds murder why don't you?
How can I tell you the truth about something I didn't witness? I merely mean that much like the Lawrence fabrication there may have been some "simplification" of the story in favorable media.

20/20 did a story years ago well after the case that suggested it was potentially drug related and that the attackers knew Shepard and it wasn't a random drunk guys thing. I think the prosecutor suggested the same at the time.

Neither case makes it justified, I'm especially not sure why the "straight male" angle would. Which is what I was responding to. If Shepard did know his attackers in terms of being friendly or more that makes it even worse in my mind as to what it suggests.

For the last time, the identity and humanity of transpersons is not up for fucking debate

HER LIFE IS IN DANGER SOLELY DUE TO HER IDENTITY

DO YOU NOT GET THIS

ARE YOU THIS OBTUSE

TRANSPERSONS LITERALLY GET KILLED FOR STANDING UP TO TRANSPHOBES AND SOLELY FOR BEING TRANS

Seriously. Saying that trans people should stand up for themselves (and put themselves at risk) reminds me a lot of people who say that victims of rape/sexual assault should have fought back harder. They don't understand just how in danger victims in these situations are of reprisal if they respond to the perpetrators of the abuse.

watershed

Banned
So the university is comfortable allowing blatant hate speech and targeted verbal assault against its own students and offers nothing but comfort to students instead of a defense of said student and other students affected? How does that make any sense? We won't protect you from someone trying to shoot you, but we'll do out best to patch you up real good afterwards.

Maledict

Wait, Milo is gay!?!

I could have sworn I saw him posting some homophobic junk at some point.

Yes, it's his 'thing'. He uses it like a weapon to prove to his right wing followers that gay people make a choice to be gay, and that political correctness is unnecessary and oppression. Anti-gay stuff is a common line he runs with.

benjipwns

Banned
So the university is comfortable allowing blatant hate speech and targeted verbal assault against its own students and offers nothing but comfort to students instead of a defense of said student and other students affected? How does that make any sense? We won't protect you from someone trying to shoot you, but we'll do out best to patch you up real good afterwards.
It's sort of a legal thing.

If they blocked the student groups, they'd be open to a lawsuit as a public university. Which administration wishes to avoid simply because it's a hassle more than anything.

So they go to we can't block student groups from bringing speakers in, but we'll condemn them after.

As long as the person is just giving a speech/presentation they're given a wide birth. Obviously they would err on the side of caution in terms of student groups that wish to bring in people to shoot students.

There is nothing to defend retroactively the damage has already been done. The lest they could do is to unanimously denounce Milo and lobby for him not to get a gig at a university again.

benjipwns

Banned
There is nothing to defend retroactively the damage has already been done. The lest they could do is to unanimously denounce Milo and lobby for him not to get a gig at a university again.
http://mediamilwaukee.com/top-stori...sgender-lockerroom-policy-breitbart-alt-right

Chancellor issued a statement condemning in addition to the lower level one I quoted above explaining why the university allowed Milo to speak.
Chancellor Mark A. Mone said:
I do not agree with Yiannopoulos’ views, and I strongly condemn the belittling of others and their appearance, and the encouragement of hate and harassment. I also will not stand silently by when a member of our campus community is personally and wrongly attacked. I am disappointed that this speaker chose to attack a transgender student.
However, that student, Kramer, was extremely unhappy with Mone’s response. In her email, which was sent at 7:52 a.m., Kramer wrote to Mone, “Your words: ‘I also will not stand silently by when a member of our campus community is personally and wrongly attacked.’ That is probably the biggest piece of goddamn f-cking bullsh-t I’ve ever read. What exactly do you plan to do? OH YEAH, NOTHING, BECAUSE YOU’RE A COWARDLY PIECE OF SH-T. Your [sic] ‘not standing silently’ apparently consists of a single email mass-sent to the university. That’s it. You don’t get a f-cking cookie for that. What else were you going to go? NOTHING. You were planning on doing jack sh-t.” Read the full email below (warning: Graphic language):

the email from Kramer is pretty great (in terms of an epic rant, not the reasons for it):
https://www.scribd.com/document/334197323/Adelaide-Email
P.S. To Mark Mone and your cronies: I’m not going to respond to any phone calls, emails, or attempts to have me speak with anyone. I am never returning to your goddamn campus again. Ever. GOODBYE BITCHES. And very specifically to you Mark Mone and other spineless liberal assholes that fully support bringing a fascist speaker to campus who is EXTRAORDINARILY well-known to harass and target specific students: From the bottom of my heart, truly, FUCK YOU.

Oh wow, he's scheduled to show up at my alma mater, UC Berkeley, in two months.

And there's already plans to block him from getting to the building.

Miletius

Reminds me of that article on Wash Po about a week ago. The right's version of speech police is just as insidious if not more so than the left's. When the left wants to protect human decency the right uses it as a cue that you are in the tribe. And if you don't conform, you are kicked out.

At any rate, Milo shouldn't have been allowed to speak if his only objective was to stalk, harass, and incite violence against one specific person. Hell, if that was even just one of his objectives he shouldn't have been allowed to speak.

It's sort of a legal thing.

If they blocked the student groups, they'd be open to a lawsuit as a public university. Which administration wishes to avoid simply because it's a hassle more than anything.

So they go to we can't block student groups from bringing speakers in, but we'll condemn them after.

As long as the person is just giving a speech/presentation they're given a wide birth. Obviously they would err on the side of caution in terms of student groups that wish to bring in people to shoot students.

The issue though is that with proper research, it is easy to determine that there is serious risk of something like this happening if Milo is given a platform. At the very least, they should have responded by acknowledging the risks created by a lax response to the Milo situation, both in how they determined whether it was acceptable to invite Milo specifically and the fact that they did not include a strict, clear condemnation of Milo's statements and a ban of Milo from their campus.

Every time I see your avatar I think it's Viewtiful Joe

benjipwns

Banned
both in how they determined whether it was acceptable to invite Milo specifically and the fact that they did not include a strict, clear condemnation of Milo's statements and a ban of Milo from their campus.
The student group is a conservative one, they invited him. Student groups can invite anyone, and to an extent, the administration will find any reason NOT to block those invites.

To a point, Milo is still a relatively harmless speaker. From the universities point of view. Compare to Salmon Rushdie which requires rather extensive security precautions and thus is why schools feel free to turn him away despite never saying anything half as interesting.

At any rate, Milo shouldn't have been allowed to speak if his only objective was to stalk, harass, and incite violence against one specific person. Hell, if that was even just one of his objectives he shouldn't have been allowed to speak.
I didn't watch the whole video, but from what I did and the articles, apparently this was the opening of his act and only because it related to the university specifically. (Much like a comedian will crack some lame jokes about famous things in whatever city they're in that night.)

He went on for a further two hours regarding the Lieberal's Race War against America.

Kinokou

Since there were warnings I think the university is at fault for not having officials in place to cut the mic and escort him off stage once he started targetting individuals.

According to the email, Milo has specifically targeted individuals in the way that he did at this University, so it can very easily been argued that not blocking him either demonstrates a lack of care to research or a lack of care that he may.

benjipwns

Banned
Also, in regards to some earlier posts in the thread, Milo has definitely upped his act, especially as Trump rose and he took credit for it.

He was for a time just an openly gay/British (same thing right?) conservative-libertarian who didn't care for "PC culture." And this was mostly his schtick and he had a background as a tech writer, so he covered gamergate which led him down this path to the alt-right as a whole. He actually wrote a fairly good piece summarizing the alt-right a year and a half plus ago right as it started to really get going as a thing since they were willing to talk to him openly unlike regular media.

He has definitely shifted to both being overly aggressive on the anti-PC stuff as well as playing up his homosexuality to major stereotypical extents. It used to be little jokes here and there, now he's like a demented later seasons Jack from Will and Grace intent on trolling everyone he can as long as the money comes in.

I don't even know if he still actually writes tech stuff for Breitbart anymore.

I prefer the bigots like Milos to the more dangerous bigots like Sam Harris or Maher, who normalize racism among the mainstream much more, imo. Milos just plays to a base of bigots who have pretty much always been bigots.

I wonder how much damage did the Islamaphobic and racist views of Dawkins, Harris and Maher help Trump to victory? On this issue, they are all pretty much one.

I prefer the bigots like Milos to the more dangerous bigots like Sam Harris or Maher, who normalize racism among the mainstream much more, imo. Milos just plays to a base of bigots who have pretty much always been bigots.

I wonder how much damage did the Islamaphobic and racist views of Dawkins, Harris and Maher help Trump to victory?

Never mind the fact that Harris openly denounced Trump and supported Hillary lol.

Never mind the fact that Harris openly denounced Trump and supported Hillary lol.

I don't think it matters much, when he did so much to normalize hate and Islamaphobia. His brand of 'intellectual' racism is exactly what Trump supporters live and die by. Trump supporters tend to really love Dawkins and Harris, for those views.

benjipwns

Banned
Trump supporters tend to really love Dawkins and Harris, for those views.
A certain segment maybe, including the one Milo appeals to as it's more socially liberal within a certain conservative framework, but I doubt that's true for like well, all the other 55 million.

I don't think it matters much, when he did so much to normalize hate and Islamaphobia. His brand of 'intellectual' racism is exactly what Trump supporters live and die by. Trump supporters tend to really love Dawkins and Harris, for those views.

So they love him while ignoring what he's actually saying and that's his fault.

Got it.

A certain segment maybe, including the one Milo appeals to as it's more socially liberal within a certain conservative framework, but I doubt that's true for like well, all the other 55 million.

Oh man, it's a lot.

It's the Joe Rogans of this world. He is a huge Milos fan and supporter, and literally said ' I love this guy.' And finds his sexist views hilarious, and has had him on his podcast.

He also has had Harris on his podcast many times, and is best pals with him too. There is an absolutely massive crossover of Harris and Dawkins racism and Islamaphobia with, Milos and those types. Sam Harris and Dawkins have been feeding that the people who support trump, and I would say creating far more Trump supporters than Milos probably did.

They are dangerous, and more liberals should stand up to them, imo. Aethism should not be a tool of hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom