• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 4 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
Based on this show's tendency to consolidate storylines, do you think they'll let Yara get captured by Stannis or Ramsay's men?

Really? You would skip the riverside resurrection scene? But that scene is soooo good, and it would totally blow the minds of the non-readers!

Yeah that's a tricky one. You can only have one or the other in terms of the
"big reveal" shock factor. Personally I'd prefer the actual revival.

TCRS

Banned
sansadance_gallery_primary.gif

#queen

Iksenpets

Banned
Based on this show's tendency to consolidate storylines, do you think they'll let Yara get captured by Stannis or Ramsay's men?

She's definitely attacking the Dreadfort, going by the trailers, so I don't think Stannis will get her yet. I think somehow the attack will go south and she'll have to retreat, but they'll burn her ships or something so that she'll have to retreat by land to Deepwood Motte where Stannis can capture her in season 5.

Having her available for an eventual battle with Stannis seems important me since a.) having her mission to the Dreadfort end in a complete disaster with her captured and her men dead would make her character seem really stupid a reckless, which is petty much the opposite of what she's supposed to be, and b.) having Stannis attack Deepwood Motte is important to his character since it's an example of him listening to good advice from his advisors, in this case Jon, and it's an example of him putting the whole cart before the horse strategy into practice and trying to do something for the northerners to earn their loyalty rather than marching into battle and just expecting northerners to flock to him out of duty.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I wonder why they didn't really dump the wine on Tyrion's head. Does Dinklage wear a wig? Or maybe they didn't want to damage the costume...

El Daniel

Oberyn maybe involved? just because of his dislike of the Lannisters, and the way he said to Cersei that she is lucky her daughter is safe in Dawn, where they don't kill children.
Gotta love the no book thread.

Showaddy

To be fair if I didn't know it was Olenna I'd think it was Oberyn 100%. Guy's famous for poisoning people and publicly despises the Lannisters.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I'd handle the reveal by first having a Small Council scene where Varys notes the Brotherhood continues to harass Lannister troops in the Riverlands. Tywin then questions how Beric is still alive, given the reports he has received from the Mountain. Varys says that apparently the group is led by a woman now. [Maybe have Cersei jokingly wonder whether it's Brienne of Tarth.]

The second mention could happen as Brienne and Pod search for Sansa. Perhaps have a villager noting the Brotherhood's activity, and again mentioning they have a female leader now.

Actual reveal scene: Brienne is ambushed, similar to what happened in AFFC, and saved by the Brotherhood, who then accuse her of working for the Lannisters. They drag her to their camp for "justice" and then the scene will play out similar to what happened in AFFC.
To keep it within this season (as Pod wouldn't look for Tyrion after he leaves King's Landing and I would keep him with Brienne), I'd do it like this:

Have a Small Council scene where Varys notes he received a message from Walder Frey that the Brotherhood is hunting down Freys in the Riverlands (and seeks assistance in gold or soldiers maybe). Tywin then questions how Beric is still alive, given the reports he received from the Mountain. Varys says that apparently the group is led by a woman now. Tywin scoffs, saying he'll have Jaime deal with them after he reclaims Riverrun from the Blackfish.

A man is shown walking threw the woods with a bag of gold. Thoros of Myr, Angi and other members come out of the woodworks. The man who says he's there to pay the Brotherhood for Frey hostages. The group brings him to their hedquarters, where the man notes hanged men with the Frey banner flapping outside. He panics, but is seized by the brotherhood, who prepare to hang him. He asks why they're doing this, since he brought the gold. Thoros says they're killing everyone involved in the Red Wedding. As the man is about to be hanged, UnCat emerges from the cave, first covered. When she takes her hood off, revealing her gruesome state, the Frey man in shock says he saw her die. Thoros says she did, beyond his ability to revive her, but Beric Dondarian gave his life to bring her back. When she mumbles something, the man is hanged.

ezekial45

Banned
Are they still going to have Lady Stoneheart in this adaptation? I assumed it would come up by now or something, but the only mention was Sansa talking about what happened to her mother.

Are they still going to have Lady Stoneheart in this adaptation? I assumed it would come up by now or something, but the only mention was Sansa talking about what happened to her mother.

Well it hadn't happened by this point in the books, right?

I'll say: I'm not actually a book reader. I'm a semi-book reader who had most the major events spoiled for me through a mix of internet dickery and morbid curiousity :)

gutshot

To keep it within this season (as Pod wouldn't look for Tyrion until the next and I would keep him with Brienne), I'd do it like this:

Have a Small Council scene where Varys notes he received a message from Walder Frey that the Brotherhood is hunting down Freys in the Riverlands (and seeks assistance in gold or soldiers maybe). Tywin then questions how Beric is still alive, given the reports he received from the Mountain. Varys says that apparently the group is led by a woman now. Tywin scoffs, saying he'll have Jaime deal with them after he reclaims Riverrun from the Blackfish.

A man is shown walking threw the woods with a bag of gold. Thoros of Myr, Angi and other members come out of the woodworks. The man who says he's there to pay the Brotherhood for Frey hostages. The group brings him to their hedquarters, where the man notes hanged men with the Frey banner flapping outside. He panics, but is seized by the brotherhood, who prepare to hang him. He asks why they're doing this, since he brought the gold. Thoros says they're killing everyone involved in the Red Wedding. As the man is about to be hanged, UnCat emerges from the cave, first covered. When she takes her hood off, revealing her gruesome state, the Frey man in shock says he saw her die. Thoros says she did, beyond his ability to revive her, but Beric Dondarian gave his life to bring her back. When she mumbles something, the man is hanged.

There was video from the set
showing Pod and Brienne on the road already this season. So it seems like the circumstances in which they team up will be different in the show than it was in the books.

(Do set reports need to be spoiler tagged? I did it just in case.)

-griffy-

Banned
I wonder why they didn't really dump the wine on Tyrion's head. Does Dinklage wear a wig? Or maybe they didn't want to damage the costume...

They did, it's just mostly running down his head away from camera. In the gif above you can see some dripping down the front of his face and along the left side (his right) right before it loops. It just seems to take awhile to travel through his hair.

Violater

showing Pod and Brienne on the road already this season. So it seems like the circumstances in which they team up will be different in the show than it was in the books.

(Do set reports need to be spoiler tagged? I did it in any case.)

I really don't like when they deviate from the source material so much.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member

(Do set reports need to be spoiler tagged? I did it in any case.)
I find that hard to believe seeing Pod's only role is to serve Tyrion both in the show and books. It would be strange the end that loyalty when it's tested most. Maybe Tyrion's escape and murder of Tywin happen the same episode as the Moutain/Red Viper fight, with their quest starting on Episode 10. Problem with that idea is Brienne having little to do in the mean time.

Really? You would skip the riverside resurrection scene? But that scene is soooo good, and it would totally blow the minds of the non-readers!

I'd love to include that scene largely to show Arya's warging ability. I guess it could go something like having Arya tossing/turning in her sleep as the slow Stark theme plays, then show a first perspective shot of a wolf treading through the forest. The wolf sees a body in the river and drags it out...then runs away after hearing human voices. Thoros and company find the body, revive it, Catelyn's eyes open, fade to black.

The problem IMO is timing. Catelyn's body would have been in the river for weeks before being found, which would be ridiculous. Because of this it would make more sense to just skip the "how" and just show Stoneheart.

gutshot

I find that hard to believe seeing Pod's only role is to serve Tyrion both in the show and books. It would be strange the end that loyalty when it's tested most. Maybe Tyrion's escape and murder of Tywin happen the same episode as the Moutain/Red Viper fight, with their quest starting on Episode 10. Problem with that idea is Brienne having little to do in the mean time.

http://youtu.be/tU1opUjA7_g?t=6m1s

It's possible, of course, that this could be a scene from the finale, but as you say, it leaves Brienne with nothing to do all season. I think it is much more likely that Tyrion and Jaime decide to send Brienne and Pod off to track down Sansa within the next episode or two.

Iksenpets

Banned

They'll probably have Tyrion order him to go with Brienne or something. Or have him ask Jaime to get Pod to safety, since he'll be a suspect, too, so Jaime gives him to Brienne. I don't think it's that big a change.

And episode 4 is titled Oathkeeper, that's got to be when Brienne leaves. No other reason to use that title.

And I think if they were going to do Cat's revival, it would've been at the end of last season. It's been too long now, she'd have been dead for a month. She has to already have been revived off-screen.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
They'll probably have Tyrion order him to go with Brienne or something. Or have him ask Jaime to get Pod to safety, since he'll be a suspect, too, so Jaime gives him to Brienne. I don't think it's that big a change.

And episode 4 is titled Oathkeeper, that's got to be when Brienne leaves. No other reason to use that title.
That's very true.

Seeing Sansa is Tyrion's wife I could him being sent with Brienne to find her. It would really suck for UnCat's reveal to be from the last chapter in A Feast for Crows though. I think my Frey idea is better; make their search last a long time and include the Biter scene.
We don't know what happened to him after Brienne screamed that word. He could've been dead by that time, of course.
I doubt he is. She said that word to save him, for the most part.

She's definitely attacking the Dreadfort, going by the trailers, so I don't think Stannis will get her yet. I think somehow the attack will go south and she'll have to retreat, but they'll burn her ships or something so that she'll have to retreat by land to Deepwood Motte where Stannis can capture her in season 5.

Having her available for an eventual battle with Stannis seems important me since a.) having her mission to the Dreadfort end in a complete disaster with her captured and her men dead would make her character seem really stupid a reckless, which is petty much the opposite of what she's supposed to be, and b.) having Stannis attack Deepwood Motte is important to his character since it's an example of him listening to good advice from his advisors, in this case Jon, and it's an example of him putting the whole cart before the horse strategy into practice and trying to do something for the northerners to earn their loyalty rather than marching into battle and just expecting northerners to flock to him out of duty.

It's possible that after her attack on the Dreadfort fails, she'll learn of Balon's death (they have to have him die sometime, and this would be a decent explanation for why his death has been delayed so much compared to the books) and return to the Iron Islands, which could then set up the Kingsmoot for early Season 5 (and then she could head back to Deepwood Motte by the middle of the season in time to be attacked by Stannis).

gutshot

It's possible that after her attack on the Dreadfort fails, she'll learn of Balon's death (they have to have him die sometime, and this would be a decent explanation for why his death has been delayed so much compared to the books) and return to the Iron Islands, which could then set up the Kingsmoot for early Season 5 (and then she could head back to Deepwood Motte by the middle of the season in time to be attacked by Stannis).

I hope you are right, but I fear that the Kingsmoot, and by extension Yara's uncles, will be cut from the show.

Calamari41

41 > 38
And I think if they were going to do Cat's revival, it would've been at the end of last season. It's been too long now, she'd have been dead for a month. She has to already have been revived off-screen.

That's just it, she is already revived by this point. She's just in the background.

Didn't they revive her like two days after the red wedding? Arya has her Nymeria dream of pulling her out of the water very soon after the wedding, and in that dream the Brotherhood scares her away and takes the body.

All these cut characters ARE spoilers for us, I guess. And I suppose it'll get worse. Thanks to the show, we now know that Jeyne Westerling ain't knocked up, Patchface (probably) doesn't have a significant role to play, and possibly neither does Coldhands.

So far, these are relatively insignificant, but there'll definitely be more and more of them going forward.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I hope you are right, but I fear that the Kingsmoot, and by extension Yara's uncles, will be cut from the show.
That reminds me: I found it very interesting during War of Five kings "reenactment" it showed Robb defeating Balon, when it's really the opposite at this point in the show. Balon hasn't died yet either.

Kingsmoot is a good scene, especially to introduce Euron and Victarian. When Ramsey gets to Moat Cailin, that could be when Balon death could be revealed. Maybe they'll take one of the theories of how he died by showing a Faceless Man throw him off a bridge. I suppose Yara could find out from Ramsey somehow.

Posting this once more for the next page.
After some discussion with other moderators, we're going to start cracking down on some of the meta-commentary, insults, and rule-whining in here. These two threads are intended for discussion of the television show, not drumming up some sort of a cross-forum rivalry over whether you've read the books or not. Let's make an attempt to be nicer and more civil. Knock off the insults directed at other posters and the other thread. Stop complaining about how things are structured and how you saw a poster in the other thread do such and such. In general, stick to discussing the show, and if you have an issue with something PM a moderator about it. There are a number of us reading through the two threads, and derails, jerky behavior, and other nonsense will be dealt with appropriately.

Sai-kun

Banned
my first thought at the end of this episode was

i hope we get to see oberyn and loras bang

good ep though, kinda with Cersei had been a little more upset, but I got a little chill when she yelled "Take him!", that was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom