• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iksenpets

Banned
I think there are also logistical issues regarding
secret and false identities and the broader pro-Lannister politics of the Boltons
, but yeah, as far as character stuff goes, this describes my other concerns perfectly.

Yeah. I think most of the logistical issues go away if she's there as Alayne, and the marriage is to win Bolton military and economic support from the Vale. If she's there as Sansa, though, then it becomes kind of a mess. Why are Bolton and Baelish both openly defying their patron, Cersei? She hasn't had her downfall yet, and still commands the entire Lannister/Tyrell force. And if she's Sansa, why would Bolton give her free roam of the castle? He would have to know that while she's a valuable hostage, she's also a threat, and that she should never be allowed to be alone with anyone. If she were Alayne, then it would make sense that she could move freely and then reveal herself in secret to those she trusts, but the real Sansa should basically be under lockdown.

Yeah. I think most of the logistical issues go away if she's there as Alayne, and the marriage is to win Bolton military and economic support from the Vale. If she's there as Sansa, though, then it becomes kind of a mess. Why are Bolton and Baelish both openly defying their patron, Cersei? She hasn't had her downfall yet, and still commands the entire Lannister/Tyrell force. And if she's Sansa, why would Bolton give her free roam of the castle? He would have to know that while she's a valuable hostage, she's also a threat, and that she should never be allowed to be alone with anyone. If she were Alayne, then it would make sense that she could move freely and then reveal herself in secret to those she trusts, but the real Sansa should basically be under lockdown.

Yep. And given all of that, everything would basically end up hinging on
nobody among all of the Northern bannermen openly recognizing Sansa. And no, a dye job isn't enough.

Iksenpets

Banned
Yep. And given all of that, everything would basically end up hinging on
nobody among all of the Northern bannermen openly recognizing Sansa. And no, a dye job isn't enough.

If they had thought through it enough to get to that point, I would be willing to suspend disbelief on that point. It's been years, and everyone who saw her saw her pre-puberty. And no one would have enough info to piece together that Littlefinger had gotten Sansa, so they'd have no reason to doubt his claims that this is his niece.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So, in terms of future book spoilers, I remember reading that this season will supposedly be light on TWOW stuff?

I know we're getting into some of Sansa's stuff, and a little bit of Arya's too. Perhaps also Tyrion, although maybe they're just giving him extra stuff to do that isn't in the books?

A couple (show)
characters will die who are still alive in the books
, which could be considered spoilers, I guess, if it turns out that
those characters die in the books too, even if the circumstances are different.

There might be Others spoilers in Jon Snow's storyline - (show)
apparently something big goes down in Hardhome
- but aside from that I can't think of how they could surpass his ADWD content. Same goes for Dany.

We're not getting Bran, Hodor, or Meera, but might we see Rickon and Osha? Even if we did, they'll probably be under very different circumstances than in the books...

Brienne and Jamie are completely diverging. Dorne seems pretty different with no Arianne, Quentyn, older Myrcella, etc.

Cersei and the rest of the King's characters should still be following the books, more or less.

No Greyjoys as far as we know, although surely they have something planned for Yara?

What else?

This season should be pretty safe to watch for someone who wants to avoid all TWOW spoilers, right?

Iksenpets

Banned
So, in terms of future book spoilers, I remember reading that this season will supposedly be light on TWOW stuff?

I know we're getting into some of Sansa's stuff, and a little bit of Arya's too. Perhaps also Tyrion, although maybe they're just giving him extra stuff to do that isn't in the books?

A couple (show)
characters will die who are still alive in the books
, which could be considered spoilers, I guess, if it turns out that
those characters die in the books too, even if the circumstances are different.

There might be Others spoilers in Jon Snow's storyline - (show)
apparently something big goes down in Hardhome
- but aside from that I can't think of how they could surpass his ADWD content. Same goes for Dany.

We're not getting Bran, Hodor, or Meera, but might we see Rickon and Osha? Even if we did, they'll probably be under very different circumstances than in the books...

Brienne and Jamie are completely diverging. Dorne seems pretty different with no Arianne, Quentyn, older Myrcella, etc.

Cersei and the rest of the King's characters should still be following the books, more or less.

No Greyjoys as far as we know, although surely they have something planned for Yara?

What else?

This season should be pretty safe to watch for someone who wants to avoid all TWOW spoilers, right?

I'm pretty sure Osha's actor has denied any involvement this season.

My best guesses based on what we know:

King's Landing:
Cersei's walk appears to be in the finale, so there's not much room for spoilers here. I think you're pretty safe here unless they restructure something pretty heavily in the last few episodes. There's some concern that after doing the Maggy prophecy they'll want to rush to Tommen's death, and will maybe spoil that.

The Wall:
You'll see Hardhome up close, so there may be some reveals about the Others there. Other than that, given that Hardhome is in episode 8, it seems like they'll be rushing just to get to For the Watch in the finale. They may add additional deaths to For the Watch, or they may add an extra shot to show Jon being resurrected or wargimg into Ghost.

Meereen:
Daznak is in 9, so there's not much room toove into spoilers. All signs point to the Battle of Meereen being cut entirely, so there will be some spoilers in that anyone still alive at the end of the season can be reasonably assumed to survive the battle, even if they don't actually show the battle to spoil it. Also, after glossing over the battle, the season will probably end with Dany setting out for Westeros or something, which will kind of spoil where everyone's going post-Battle.

Arya:
Mercy is happening, and I wouldn't be surprised if we get some indication about what her next assassination assignment will be in Winds.

Sansa:
Complete rewrite. Doubt we can glean much from this.

Brienne:
Complete rewrite.

Jaime:
Complete rewrite.

Dorne:
Complete rewrite.

Iron Islands:
Best case scenario is this plot will play out off-screen, in which case we may be able to figure out how important some things are just by what they decide to tell us. If we learn that Euron took the Islands unopposed, then I feel pretty safe thinking that Vic and Aeron probably aren't going to amount to much. If they go to the effort of still having Yara meet up with Stannis, then something important must happen there. If they send her to Meereen in pace of Vic, then something important must happen there. If they leave out the Greyjoys altogether, then I'm just baffled.

Stannis/Boltons:
I think this is where your greatest risk is. We know that Stannis definitely has a battle this season, and they may be willing to spoil the battle by the ice lakes. My gut is telling me they won't, and they're actually going to mirror the book's structure and show the lead up to the battle, then cut to Jon learning the results, and then show what actually happened at the start of next season, but there's definitely high risk here.

joliefaire

Neo Member
I agree.
:waves:

*waves back* Glad you showed up!

Anybody else going to be watching the series via HBOGO? I am, but I'm already a bit stressed about that. I've been watching movies via HBOGO the last few evenings, and it constantly stops and buffers. Watch 30 seconds, buffer 20 seconds, watch 30 seconds, buffer 20 seconds. Maddening! I can't imagine what it'll be like when the series starts. Whatever technology Netflix uses, HBOGO needs to buy or steal the same stuff. Netflix works perfectly. HBOGO stu...stu...stu...stutters.

So I got to read some really spoilery summary of episodes 1-4 but I just want to post some of the general impressions(once again not very spoilery, just impressions), if not ill edit the post:

*Stannis is finally starting to resemble the Stannis we all know and love.
*King's Landing is still an entertaining set-piece.
*Ellaria taking over Arianne's material is actually done well.
*Cersei is definitely getting some good material this season. More nuanced than the book.
*Kevan is back and taking zero sh-t from Cersei.
*Regarding the Dorne storyline, all in all; "As a die hard book reader I was okay with Jaime's part in the Dorne storyline, it all seems to carry out organically and Ellaria and Doran have nice scenes together. So far it's promising."
*Davos has a nice scene with Jon Snow.
*There is one pretty great scene with Bronn and Lollys right before Jaime comes to recruit him for the Dorne mission.
*The Sand Snakes are lame (expected, since they are also lame in the book.)

joliefaire

Neo Member
So I got to read some really spoilery summary of episodes 1-4 but I just want to post some of the general impressions(if that's allowed), if not ill edit the post:

Yes, those are pretty widespread now, and hell, we're only a week away. I particularly liked those because they're just one person's general impressions, rather than any specific blow-by-blow spoilers. To me anyway, something like that enhances rather than spoils.

Partition

Banned
So I got to read some really spoilery summary of episodes 1-4 but I just want to post some of the general impressions(if that's allowed), if not ill edit the post:

*Cersei is definitely getting some good material this season. More nuanced than the book.
*Regarding the Dorne storyline, all in all; "As a die hard book reader I was okay with Jaime's part in the Dorne storyline, it all seems to carry out organically and Ellaria and Doran have nice scenes together. So far it's promising."
*There is one pretty great scene with Bronn and Lollys right before Jaime comes to recruit him for the Dorne mission.

What about Sansa?

Szeth

Yes, those are pretty widespread now, and hell, we're only a week away. I particularly liked those because they're just one person's general impressions, rather than any specific blow-by-blow spoilers. To me anyway, something like that enhances rather than spoils.

Been avoiding TV spoilers so far to go in as fresh as possible but this convinced me to finally look and I'm glad I did. Not really spoilery and hype levels went up!

Loke13

So I got to read some really spoilery summary of episodes 1-4 but I just want to post some of the general impressions(once again not very spoilery, just impressions), if not ill edit the post:

Ice cold about the
Sand Snakes
lol

bengraven

Unless the entire Vale is in on the plan,
she's Sansa - she's already married. Only as Alayne can she be married, but what good is that going to do unless to reveal the truth later, LF and Bolton both?

ZeroRay

It can be done well and still respect Sansa's development last season.

Still wary considering D&D has been 50/50 at best when coming up with, or consolidating material.

Speevy

Banned
NO, it wouldn't!
If Sansa kills Lord Ramsay or Lord Roose I swear I'll print a picture of her and wipe my ass with it.

image.php

Kain

I'm afraid they are going to dillute LF's role in the grand scheme of things. Most show viewers are not aware that he is the one that set in motion, well, mostly everything, and is manipulating everyone from the Vale still.

It's not all bad, though, I think Carcetti's performance has been constantly awful so it's good to not see much of him, but his character IS important, damn.

Iksenpets

Banned
Some thoughts on Brienne and Jaime based on all the info we have so far:

If Brienne is going North, I wonder if they're setting up a parallel choice with the one she faces at the end of Feast. In the book, she has to choose between her duty to Catelyn and her affection for Jaime. In the show, I think she'll catch up with Sansa up North only after Sansa and Theon have escaped and hooked up with Stannis. Then she's faced with a choice between her duty to support Sansa, and her desire to kill Stannis.

As for Jaime, my hope is that since the Brienne/Brotherhood plot is night be out, that they're just going to cut out the middleman of Brienne by having Jaime get captured by the Brotherhood directly on his way back from Dorne. I just don't want to believe they're going to leave that as a massive loose end.

Some thoughts on Brienne and Jaime based on all the info we have so far:

If Brienne is going North, I wonder if they're setting up a parallel choice with the one she faces at the end of Feast. In the book, she has to choose between her duty to Catelyn and her affection for Jaime. In the show, I think she'll catch up with Sansa up North only after Sansa and Theon have escaped and hooked up with Stannis. Then she's faced with a choice between her duty to support Sansa, and her desire to kill Stannis.

As for Jaime, my hope is that since the Brienne/Brotherhood plot is night be out, that they're just going to cut out the middleman of Brienne by having Jaime get captured by the Brotherhood directly on his way back from Dorne. I just don't want to believe they're going to leave that as a massive loose end.

This is truly terrifying to me.
Especially from all reports saying that Stannis is looking to a) be a fan favorite this season/have a lot of awesome scenes and b) that it seems he may be poised for victory.

Ugh, is this how book readers felt for 4 seasons?

Iksenpets

Banned
This is truly terrifying to me.
Especially from all reports saying that Stannis is looking to a) be a fan favorite this season/have a lot of awesome scenes and b) that it seems he may be poised for victory.

Ugh, is this how book readers felt for 4 seasons?

I'm consoling myself by saying that if they want to stay true to her book arc, she would actually choose loyalty to Sansa over her desire for revenge, same as choosing loyalty to Catelyn over Jaime, so we may get the tensest relationship ever as Brienne finds herself serving Stannis.

Fucking please.

I'm not even going to lie. I don't want to see Sansa
losing her vcard to the most evil fuck since her last fiance.

Yep, and I'd say he's much much
worse than Joff

I'd also point out that in some pre-season article somewhere they talked about how
Reek kind of falls out of favor this season, because Ramsay has a new plaything.

Ugh.

Lol there isn't going to be a Sansa rape scene, the series producers have already been too afraid to touch upon the darker scenes in the series.

And no the RW wasn't the worst thing to happen in asoiaf.

What darker aspects have they shied away from? (honest question, no snark).

The Riverlands, literally everything that happened in the Riverlands.

Perfect opportunity to make Gregor Clegane come across a lot worse than he was in the show, didn't.

Even the events of Crasters Keep were very PG13 compared to the books.

Oh and Euron Grejoy, can't forget him.

Massa

leak spoilers I suppose
I'm excited just to think of Alfie Allen's acting around Sansa. This is going to be a great season.

leak spoilers I suppose
I'm excited just to think of Alfie Allen's acting around Sansa. This is going to be a great season.

Yup, he's been consistently one of the strongest performers of the entire cast. I'm SO excited to see him shine this season.

REALLY hoping he
gets to do the heart tree scene this season.

Iksenpets

Banned
Yup, he's been consistently one of the strongest performers of the entire cast. I'm SO excited to see him shine this season.

REALLY hoping he
gets to do the heart tree scene this season.

Yeah, Sophie+Alfie is really the biggest justification they have for this RamSan stuff. If anyone can sell something so crazy as this, it's those two.

Kain

Yeah, Sophie+Alfie is really the biggest justification they have for this RamSan stuff. If anyone can sell something so crazy as this, it's those two.

Now I'm afraid

romance between Theon and Sansa? Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan that's scary on so many levels

Iksenpets

Banned
Now I'm afraid

romance between Theon and Sansa? Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan that's scary on so many levels

Oh no, I really doubt they're going there. That wouldn't make much sense at all. Though we may get Theon forced to participate in the wedding night, like in the books...

Now I'm afraid

Nope, I don't think it's
romance
they're going for, as Iskenpets I'm sure is alluding to.

Aside from the obvious inability for Reek to be romantic with anyone now, it's the INCREDIBLE amount of history between those two characters. Don't forget, Sansa thinks Theon/Reek killed Bran and Rickon. Don't forget how horrible Theon felt about selling the Starks out.

It's gonna be the first time Theon is confronted with a flesh and blood example of what he did, and we're going to get to see Sansa react to a) seeing him, b) seeing what he's become,
and I'm really curious if we're gonna get rage or pity or YIKES
gratitude to Ramsay for doing this to him.

joliefaire

Neo Member
And I'm afraid that they're finally building up Stannis to the degree StanFans have been yelling for, for years. Only so they can kill him off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom