• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm 99% certain that that passage refers to Jaime and Dorne.

Not that the other thing we're all speculating about won't happen, but I don't think that's what's being talked about here.

That's what I think. Weak supporting cast (according to D&D) screams Riverlands to me.

George R.R. Martin determined to finish new 'Thrones' book by 2016

In one intriguing new wrinkle, Martin says he just came up with a big, revealing twist on a long-time character that he never previously considered. “This is going to drive your readers crazy,” he teases, “but I love it. I’m still weighing whether to go that direction or not. It’s a great twist. It’s easy to do things that are shocking or unexpected, but they have to grow out of characters. They have to grow out of situations. Otherwise, it’s just being shocking for being shocking. But this is something that seems very organic and natural, and I could see how it would happen. And with the various three, four characters involved… it all makes sense. But it’s nothing I’ve ever thought of before. And it’s nothing they can do in the show, because the show has already—on this particular character—made a couple decisions that will preclude it, where in my case I have not made those decisions

bengraven

Speaking of the Reddit thread, if the theory of that person marrying that person is right, it will really fuck up the story.

And I'm excited for the
Tourney of Harrenhal mention!

George R.R. Martin determined to finish new 'Thrones' book by 2016

In one intriguing new wrinkle, Martin says he just came up with a big, revealing twist on a long-time character that he never previously considered. “This is going to drive your readers crazy,” he teases, “but I love it. I’m still weighing whether to go that direction or not. It’s a great twist. It’s easy to do things that are shocking or unexpected, but they have to grow out of characters. They have to grow out of situations. Otherwise, it’s just being shocking for being shocking. But this is something that seems very organic and natural, and I could see how it would happen. And with the various three, four characters involved… it all makes sense. But it’s nothing I’ve ever thought of before. And it’s nothing they can do in the show, because the show has already—on this particular character—made a couple decisions that will preclude it, where in my case I have not made those decisions.”

Yeah, I just posted this in the Book Thread.

We should move discussion to there since this has little to do with the show (though the show is evidence we can use to support discussion - but this is a thread about this season and shouldn't have distractions).

Speaking of the Reddit thread, if the theory of that person marrying that person is right, it will really fuck up the story.
I have my skepticisms but I'm not certain I agree with that.

Littlefinger very clearly has his eyes on the North after the Vale. He's the one who set up the Boltons with Jeyne, remember, so he has all the ingredients necessary to simultaneously end their claim to Stark legitimacy and point out that he has a real Stark.

I wouldn't even be surprised if he's involved in Manderley's conspiracy in the books. Or, for that matter, to speculate REALLY heavily, if Manderley was intentionally separating Davos from Stannis in order to more easily perform a triple cross against the Boltons and Stannis on Littlefinger's behalf.

Regardless, Sansa as Queen in the North is a fairly likely future development so it's mostly constitute acceleration on the show's part, not derailment.

The tougher question is how they'll handle Jon's anxieties over all that. But that's already a challenge the show is going to face.

I still think Brienne and Asha/Yara are still the biggest wild cards this season in the sense that the show's sort of left them adrift. Condensing story lines together isn't something I can get mad about because it's a smart choice for Weiss and Benioff to make, but the leftovers from that abridgment and condensation who no longer have people to interact with can get pretty weird.

I'm still somewhat of the mind that Yara may replace Victarion and with none of the Kingsmoot drama - just have Moqorro show up with the dragon horn or whatever - but as for Brienne, I haven't got the slightest idea. I suppose if Sansa's unveiled in the North (which is still not a development I'm a big fan of - I don't mind her being there, but actually being revealed as a real Stark undermines some stuff) Brienne's gonna make a beeline for Winterfell, maybe?

joliefaire

Neo Member
Some mildly spoilery input on Elio and Linda's reviews of the first 4 episodes.
Elio&Linda @westerosorg: Working on early impressions of #GameOfThrones screeners. Preview: our favorite scene in first 4 eps involves Stannis.

When asked if it's THE nod:

@Azad_Injejikian Nope, brand new, not from the books scene. Beautifully written and acted.

Amazing. Not the spoiler, but that they really, really liked a scene!

Partition

Banned
I'm 99% certain that that passage refers to Jaime and Dorne.

Not that the other thing we're all speculating about won't happen, but I don't think that's what's being talked about here.

Ah, for some reason that didn't even cross my mind. I really hope that is what he is referring to then.

If anyone has been interested in Crusader Kings II and the A Game of Thrones mod now might be a good time to pick it up if you haven't, I just bought it finally. You can get the Collection for only $15.99 or the base version for $9.99 through GreenManGaming.com and you can take off another 22% with the code below, the sale ends some time tomorrow.

SAVE22-OVERHO-LIDAYS

http://www.greenmangaming.com/crusader-kings-titles/

http://blog.playfire.com/2015/04/paradox-24-hr-deals-save-80-on-crusader.html

$12.48USD for the CKII Collection seemed like a pretty damn good deal to me.

Ah, for some reason that didn't even cross my mind. I really hope that is what he is referring to then.
As much as people like to complain about the Dorne, Pyke, and pig-riding subplots in AFFC/ADWD, the Jaime at Riverrun stuff is so utterly forgettable that I think plenty of folks need to take a moment to remember that it even happened.

Not sure how it'll affect the Dorne stuff, but I'm glad they're at least giving Jaime something interesting to do.

Iksenpets

Banned
That's what I think. Weak supporting cast (according to D&D) screams Riverlands to me.

I dunno, I would put the Vale pretty much on par with Riverrun in terms of weak supporting casts. Riverrun would have Jaime, Blackfish, Edmure, and in the show would probably be rewritten to include Bronn and to have Walder Frey there instead of his kids. The Vale has Sansa and Littlefinger and... Robin. Lord Royce? I doubt Myranda Royce or Mya Stone would even make the cut for the show, even if they were doing a bigger Eyrie plot.

I dunno, I would put the Vale pretty much on par with Riverrun in terms of weak supporting casts. Riverrun would have Jaime, Blackfish, Edmure, and in the show would probably be rewritten to include Bronn and to have Walder Frey there instead of his kids. The Vale has Sansa and Littlefinger and... Robin. Lord Royce? I doubt Myranda Royce or Mya Stone would even make the cut for the show, even if they were doing a bigger Eyrie plot.

Riverlands also has Genna Lannister, the Brotherhood without Banners, the Quiet Isle and a lot of other potentially interesting characters. No, I think it's the Vale just as you say. Perhaps even Sunspear or the Iron Islands.

Some mildly spoilery input on Elio and Linda's reviews of the first 4 episodes.
Elio&Linda @westerosorg: Working on early impressions of #GameOfThrones screeners. Preview: our favorite scene in first 4 eps involves Stannis.

When asked if it's THE nod:

@Azad_Injejikian Nope, brand new, not from the books scene. Beautifully written and acted.

Amazing. Not the spoiler, but that they really, really liked a scene!

Oh my god yes.

Iksenpets

Banned
Riverlands also has Genna Lannister, the Brotherhood without Banners, the Quiet Isle and a lot of other potentially interesting characters. No, I think it's the Vale just as you say. Perhaps even Sunspear or the Iron Islands.

Yeah, I can remember trying to think through what a season 5 adaptation would look like, before having seen season 4 to get any hints about where they were going, and Sansa was by far the hardest challenge. Like, there was always going to be the problem that not all of the plots would fit, and things would have to be adjusted to account for whatever cuts they were forced into, but Sansa seemed like a problem even if they had unlimited space. The only fully developed characters there are Sansa and Littlefinger, and there are basically no major plot beats. The biggest event in Sansa's whole Feast plot is Littlefinger revealing to her that he has made schemes for this story to have some plot to it in the future, whenever this Harry guy shows up. Every other plot I could at least imagine a television version, but Sansa really had nothing adaptable.

I never dreamt up anything as crazy as a
Sansa+Ramsay
plot to replace it, but it's honestly not that much crazier than any of the other stories they could've come up with the keep Sansa on screen. Maybe they could've used Littlefinger's status as Lord of Harrenhal to pivot their plot into the Riverlands? That was really the only other thing I had ever thought of, but they decided not to do the Riverlands this season.

Showaddy

Randyll Tarly is definitely out this season isn't he? Haven't seen anything about him in the show and which means no Maidenpool for Brienne.

I'm still not convinced on
SanRam
. Wouldn't it make more sense to have her in Winterfell, Miranda playing fake Arya, and have Ramsay become enamored with "Alayne"? Would allow her to play Ramsay by using his attraction to her against him, with Reek adding to the tension, making us wonder when and if he's going to sell her out?

Because you've got to imagine that the Boltons have their fArya plan laid out already if they ended last season heading to Winterfell, and that presumably didn't involve Sansa/Alayne.

Iksenpets

Banned
I'm still not convinced on
SanRam
. Wouldn't it make more sense to have her in Winterfell, Miranda playing fake Arya, and have Ramsay become enamored with "Alayne"? Would allow her to play Ramsay by using his attraction to her against him, with Reek adding to the tension, making us wonder when and if he's going to sell her out?

Because you've got to imagine that the Boltons have their fArya plan laid out already if they ended last season heading to Winterfell, and that presumably didn't involve Sansa/Alayne.

I just don't think Myranda = Jeyne fits with the timeline we have. It looks like Sansa and LF have to be arriving by episode 3. Myranda = Jeyne hinges on LF and Sansa being wedding guests, which would mean that the wedding announcement would have to go out prior to that. Except there's apparently no Winterfell scenes in the first two episodes. So either Sansa shows up for a wedding before its announced, or the wedding isn't announced yet since she's the bride. I think at the point the latter is more likely. Combined with GRRM releasing a chapter about Sansa wooing an unpleasant fiancé right before the new season, I'm like 95% on RamSan happening.

bengraven

Here's my question:

Would Littlefinger sell Sansa to the Boltons knowing what they're like? Is it ALL about money and power for him?

Here's my question:

Would Littlefinger sell Sansa to the Boltons knowing what they're like? Is it ALL about money and power for him?

I wouldn't think so, their grasp on power is tenuous at the moment. They aren't a reliable ally either, I doubt Littlefinger would deal with them.

Chris R

Here's my question:

Maybe it's part of his plan to get in the good graces of Stannis??? Have someone working from the inside that ends the siege quickly before winter starts to make it harder

Iksenpets

Banned
Here's my question:

I think it's just his best way to get inside up North. In the show version of his logic, he needs to get the Northerners together, determine who's still loyal to the Starks, and then organize them. A wedding gets everyone together, and then from inside Winterfell, Sansa can get close to the Northern lords, determine who's trustworthy, and reveal herself to those she thinks will fight for her. Then they take Bolton down.

Chris R

What time does the episode go on HBO Go? Is it the same for everyone or is it based on local time?

Same for everyone, and the episode goes live as soon as the episode finishes airing on the East Coast.

It's how I'll be watching all season long instead of waiting 3 hours for "HBO West" to show the episode :(

Same for everyone, and the episode goes live as soon as the episode finishes airing on the East Coast.

It's how I'll be watching all season long instead of waiting 3 hours for "HBO West" to show the episode :(
It goes live when the episode starts on the east coast (although sometimes it can take a few minutes to appear).

NeoGiff

A bear there was, a bear, a bear!
All black and brown, and covered with hair!

xIBceJf.jpg

kirblar

I think it's just his best way to get inside up North. In the show version of his logic, he needs to get the Northerners together, determine who's still loyal to the Starks, and then organize them. A wedding gets everyone together, and then from inside Winterfell, Sansa can get close to the Northern lords, determine who's trustworthy, and reveal herself to those she thinks will fight for her. Then they take Bolton down.
Perhaps they integrated the theorized Red Wedding II: Stoneheart Boogaloo into LF/Sansa's arcs?

foxtrot3d

Banned
As much as people like to complain about the Dorne, Pyke, and pig-riding subplots in AFFC/ADWD, the Jaime at Riverrun stuff is so utterly forgettable that I think plenty of folks need to take a moment to remember that it even happened.

Not sure how it'll affect the Dorne stuff, but I'm glad they're at least giving Jaime something interesting to do.

ARE YOU INSANE?! The Jaimie at Riverrun "stuff" was some of the best parts of AFFC/ADWD. I'll take Jaimie treating with the Blackfish and ending the Bracken/Blackwood dispute without spilling any blood over the biggest bestest sword battle any day.

Do you even know what honor is?
A horse.

Perfection.

M.Bluth

What time does the episode go on HBO Go? Is it the same for everyone or is it based on local time?

It goes live when the episode starts on the east coast (although sometimes it can take a few minutes to appear).
Speaking of which, where the hell is HBO Now? OR are we supposed to just try our luck with it the day all of their shows start on the 12th?

Chris R

Whaaaaa? I could have sworn episodes didn't show up until the episode was done airing on the East Coast, to prevent people from skipping through it for spoilers and what not.

Nezzer

Banned
So is the discussion of leaked info allowed here? We were discussing it in a thread back at Westeros.org, but the admins deleted it and prohibited any discussion about the spoilers. I can understand that and my conscience feels a bit guilty, but I can't help myself.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Whaaaaa? I could have sworn episodes didn't show up until the episode was done airing on the East Coast, to prevent people from skipping through it for spoilers and what not.
Nope, it's how we knew the line was "your sister" a few minutes after the episode started. Someone skipped ahead and posted the spoiler in the thread.

RaidenZR

Speaking of which, where the hell is HBO Now? OR are we supposed to just try our luck with it the day all of their shows start on the 12th?

They have only said it will be out in time for the Game of Thrones premiere... By April 12th. So I presume that sometime this week we will see it release.

NeoGiff

This is one instance where I'll back Elio's actions up - the iron fist was required.

Despite the fact that the info is most likely true, that particular individual broke screener privelege and drew unwanted attention to themselves and their posts, causing a shitstorm on numerous sites.

I'd hate for the same thing to happen here. So, can it be discussed or not?

Sooo I just found out now about/read the new Sansa/Alayne chapter. :D :D

It's probably been discussed, but have there been any theories about any reason why GRRM might have released this chapter right before the beginning of this season?

kirblar

Dénouement;158771137 said:
Sooo I just found out now about/read the new Sansa/Alayne chapter. :D :D

It's probably been discussed, but have there been any theories about any reason why GRRM might have released this chapter right before the beginning of this season?
Sansa's moving into her TWOW material adaptation.

Sansa's moving into her TWOW material adaptation.

lol I meant more specfically. Like the Arya chapter last season.

Maybe it's just because of that. Or him being nice and giving us something as celebration for Season 5.

idc first Sansa chapter in 10 years yesss time to dissect

Yeah, we actually had that issue last year where mods had to ask people to not post in the thread if they were going to fast forward to a later point in an episode while it was airing.
This is one instance where I'll back Elio's actions up - the iron fist was required.

Despite the fact that the info is most likely true, that particular individual broke screener privelege and drew unwanted attention to themselves and their posts, causing a shitstorm on numerous sites.

I would prefer that we don't openly discuss that stuff for those reasons.

So is the discussion of leaked info allowed here? We were discussing it in a thread back at Westeros.org, but the admins deleted it and prohibited any discussion about the spoilers. I can understand that and my conscience feels a bit guilty, but I can't help myself.

Nope, let's not do that here. There are other places on the web where you can discuss leaks that were from people violating the screener embargo, 'acquiring' the episode early from the editing bay or wherever, etc...

If you want to talk about things that have appeared in interviews and other sanctioned content, or if you'd like to discuss the first episode behind spoiler tags (since a large swath of people have seen that legally at premieres and the like), then go for it. If you need clarification, please ask.

Also, people are getting very fast and loose with the spoiler tags. I don't want to escalate enforcement around here right before the season starts, so please be diligent with your tag use when posting.

Nope, let's not do that here. There are other places on the web where you can discuss leaks that were from people violating the screener embargo, 'acquiring' the episode early from the editing bay or wherever, etc...

If you want to talk about things that have appeared in interviews and other sanctioned content, or if you'd like to discuss the first episode behind spoiler tags (since a large swath of people have seen that legally at premieres and the like), then go for it. If you need clarification, please ask.

Also, people are getting very fast and loose with the spoiler tags. I don't want to escalate enforcement around here right before the season starts, so please be diligent with your tag use when posting.
Damn and I just got that hot fire too. No problem though. Now we just need some new titles or descriptions
or a trailer.

Brakke

Banned

The spoiler policy in the OP doesn't actually require unaired episodes be tagged, just unpublished book material.

Of course, we've had tags on not officially released show content since I've been on GAF. So I don't think anybody's confused on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom