• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiverBed

Banned
Can I ask anyone that knows: Sorry, I am bad with names:

1- The face-changing assassin that helped the little Stark girl, will he show up again?
2- The black smoke thing that came out of that evil woman (the woman controlling that king and makes him see stuff in the fire), what is it and will it do anything?
3- What will happen to Dickless Joe (the guy captured and tortured to insanity)?
4- They say the show will catch up with the books. When will that happen? By this coming season?

Thanks

Layell

1- The face-changing assassin that helped the little Stark girl, will he show up again?
2- The black smoke thing that came out of that evil woman (the woman controlling that king and makes him see stuff in the fire), what is it and will it do anything?
3- What will happen to Dickless Joe (the guy captured and tortured to insanity)?
4- They say the show will catch up with the books. When will that happen? By this coming season?

Thanks

Have you watched all the episodes, number 2 is already in there and 3 are essentially done.

RiverBed

Banned
Have you watched all the episodes, number 2 is already in there and 3 are essentially done.

I've watched all episodes. Dickless Joe probably died. Man, was he annoying. But the black evil? They just showed a figure being born and then no mention of it again, iirc.

P.S. I think the new show is starting in 10 days. I'll probably wait till the whole season is aird or at least half of it before watching it. I don't like waiting a week for one episode.

I've watched all episodes. Dickless Joe probably died. Man, was he annoying. But the black evil? They just showed a figure being born and then no mention of it again, iirc.

P.S. I think the new show is starting in 10 days. I'll probably wait till the whole season is aird or at least half of it before watching it. I don't like waiting a week for one episode.

Do you remember king Renly?

It's been a while

qGSuHz1.gif

Iksenpets

Banned

Hahaha.

Preview chapter spoilers:
GRRM releases a new chapter about Sansa seducing a would-be husband, who happens to be a giant dickbag right before the new season starts? RamSan is happening, y'all. I bet that line where Alayne tells Petyr that her husband seems awful, and he tells her the world is full of awful things gets pasted straight into the show for Ramsay.

Also I really enjoyed the Alayne/Myranda dialogue in this. Sad we'll probably never get an analog for that in the show.

Hahaha.

Preview chapter spoilers:
GRRM releases a new chapter about Sansa seducing a would-be husband, who happens to be a giant dickbag right before the new season starts? RamSan is happening, y'all. I bet that line where Alayne tells Petyr that her husband seems awful, and he tells her the world is full of awful things gets pasted straight into the show for Ramsay.

Also I really enjoyed the Alayne/Myranda dialogue in this. Sad we'll probably never get an analog for that in the show.

Well D&D may not have had access to this chapter last Spring, so taking dialogue directly from it may not have even been possible.

foxtrot3d

Banned

Thanks

I suggest you go back and rewatch the series, many of your questions have already been answered. For example, #2 was answered in the episode immediately after the shadow baby birth and you seem to not remember #3 correctly.

As for the rest:
We have a pretty good idea where and what he is doing in the books but the show is not the books. Recent casting news as shown that the actor who played Jaqen H'gar (the assassin) has been cast again for the recent season. In all likelihood he will be replacing another character from the books and thus be the one to train Arya.
The show has already caught up to the books with regards to certain characters. Due to the nature of the books certain characters are at different points in various books. The show has pretty much completely caught up with Sansa, anything new will be completely new to book readers. They are also mostly done with Bran who probably has two more chapters before being completely caught up. With Brienne it is hard to tell since theyve changed so much, she's either caught up or has some more to go. Mostly every other character are either at the beginning of Book 4 or 5. After this season the show will definitely pass the books.

Well D&D may not have had access to this chapter last Spring, so taking dialogue directly from it may not have even been possible.

Except Ran said he read this chapter 2 years ago, which means almost certainly D&D had see it before they wrote season 5 last year.

Plus it all makes sense, now Ramsay having another love interest named Myranda completely makes sense giving how Myranda is jealous of the match. They planned this merger from 2 years ago.

501 spoilers in regards to the sample chapter:
There is a tourney in the Vale happening at the beginning of this season, could be part of the reason George released this chapter.

Iksenpets

Banned
How sheltered do you have to be to find that controversial?

She touched his face, man! His face! Next she'll be showing ankle!

What's weird is it's like 10x less sexual than the Mercy chapter, which gets kind of gross, and feels like it was never really rewritten to account for the lack of a 5-year time skip. But this is the one he chooses to call out.

NeoGiff

501 spoilers in regards to the sample chapter:
There is a tourney in the Vale happening at the beginning of this season, could be part of the reason George released this chapter.

[TWOW minor spoilers & Season 5 spoilers/speculation]
Also, in both cases Sansa looks set to marry and "endure" someone she'd rather not. And there just so happens to be an apparently displeased Myranda in both, too...

Ogimachi

She touched his face, man! His face! Next she'll be showing ankle!

What's weird is it's like 10x less sexual than the Mercy chapter, which gets kind of gross, and feels like it was never really rewritten to account for the lack of a 5-year time skip. But this is the one he chooses to call out.
He did say something about that:

‏"@PatCarrington 4h

@westerosorg @WarsofASOIAF Arya's sudden sexuality in Mercy I found much more surprising

Elio & Linda ‏@westerosorg 4h

@PatCarrington @WarsofASOIAF Certainly. We read that chapter long after the Alayne chapter, however, so didn't have it to compare to."

It's not Elio and Linda's fault when the statement "might to controversial to some people" is immediately interpreted as rape and child murder by the rabid fans.

Apparently my university has partnered with HBO and is doing a prescreening of S5E1 on April 8th. So now there's even less time I have to wait for the start of the season.

NeoGiff

It's not Elio and Linda's fault when the statement "might to controversial to some people" is immediately interpreted as rape and child murder by the rabid fans.

Well, using the word "controversial" to describe an upcoming scene in a series of books chock-full of murder, rape, and general debauchery would seem to suggest something more than flirting.

bengraven

Well, using the word "controversial" to describe an upcoming scene in a series of books chock-full of murder, rape, and general debauchery would seem to suggest something more than flirting.

Are you saying Ran and Linda said something that proved to not be true or was a bit over the top?

;)

Well, with the "might" and "some people" qualifiers,I always felt is was knee jerk to immediately assume the more extreme elements of the series.

Iksenpets

Banned
[TWOW minor spoilers & Season 5 spoilers/speculation]
Also, in both cases Sansa looks set to marry and "endure" someone she'd rather not. And there just so happens to be an apparently displeased Myranda in both, too...

I kind of hope they find a way to have Sansa tell Ramsay that she's all the spice he'll need, just because it'll be hilarious.

So what do the book readers think of the show overtaking the books? Obviously, I think we would have liked for the books to come out first and the show be adapted from them, but that dream is pretty much over at this point. I am just surprised that it happened so quickly since it seems like this upcoming season will be trudging into future book territory already. What do you guys plan on doing? Will you watch the show and just deal with whatever spoilers may come or will you try to isolate yourself from the show and any spoilers (my plan of action)?

No it doesn't, that was just a paper blanket that Maesters came up with to legitimize Robert's rule. It didn't matter in any way. Remember, Ned Stark could have easily taken the throne and if he had then there would be no Targ justification for his rule. Robert rules through the simple right of Conquest.

Right of Conquest sure, but his having Targ blood was still used to strengthen is claim beyond that.

Avid ASOIAF book reader here for years. I don't really give a shit as I have a functioning brain and know how to separate the two mediums.

That's a really...rough response to my question but ok. I guess I'm asking more like what do you think of the show spoiling the books since the creators have said for the most part that the destination will be the same but the path will be different, which I don't think is insignificant for people who want to find out plot elements from the books rather than watch the show.

Kinokou

That's a really...rough response to my question but ok. I guess I'm asking more like what do you think of the show spoiling the books since the creators have said for the most part that the destination will be the same but the path will be different, which I don't think is insignificant for people who want to find out plot elements from the books rather than watch the show.

The more wild filler they have to write to get to that destination the better, problem is we won't be able to tell which means are different and which are the same until the books come.

As for my game plan, I'll have proof watchers on season 5 to hopefully follow as far as possible and pray that some crazy fans will make spoiler free episode edits up until the point where all storylines passes ADWD. Then I'll watch the Indian adaption whenever it comes out. And after the winds of winter I hope George finds a surge of inspiration and gets a dream of spring out within a 2-3 year time frame.

As always I'm rather optimistic about his writing pace.

With him clearing parts of the summer schedule, maybe he'll do the summer nanowrimo and put in a 50k sprint?

The more wild filler they have to write to get to that destination the better, problem is we won't be able to tell which means are different and which are the same until the books come.

As for my game plan, I'll have proof watchers on season 5 to hopefully follow as far as possible and pray that some crazy fans will make spoiler free episode edits up until the point where all storylines passes ADWD. Then I'll watch the Indian adaption whenever it comes out. And after the winds of winter I hope George finds a surge of inspiration and gets a dream of spring out within a 2-3 year time frame.

As always I'm rather optimistic about his writing pace.

With him clearing parts of the summer schedule, maybe he'll do the summer nanowrimo and put in a 50k sprint?

I'm honestly optimistic that we will see a WoW release before the end of the year, and if not a release, a hard release date for 2016.

Chris R

Just double checked, 9 PM PST airtime for GoT here... fuck

HBO go all season long it is then with total internet blackout from 6

Partition

Banned
Review of Episodes 1-4 posted on Reddit, not sure if this has been posted here yet: http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/31a2k4/spoilers_all_my_advance_review_of_season_5/

Most interesting bit:
But it is another plotline that will surely be the most controversial of the season. The show has an uphill battle to justify an invented plot point that 99% of book readers are predisposed to think is truly insane. Do they succeed? Well, they gamely try, and they make use of some existing divergences in show continuity to present their case. Yet it seems clear to me that what happened in this plotline is that D&D considered some characters’ AFFC/ADWD plotlines weak and filled with unmemorable supporting casts, so they decided to spice things up by just shoving them together, with the justifications being tacked on afterwards. This lets some great characters and actors share scenes together, yet the feeling lingers that this is kinda dumb and forced. We will see if the later-season payoff justifies it.

I guess this confirms Sansa is marrying Ramsay?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Ah, ok. Just felt weird given the title and me having to read pages in all blue since I have to keep 'selecting all' to see the text.

Makes sense now.
You don't need to select the text to reveal spoilers, just click on spoilered text to reveal it all.

M.Bluth

Yeah that's my main issue with it, send her to winterfell that's fine, who cares. But having Ramsey marry someone who actually is a Stark is the complete opposite of the whole fArya thing. =/

Yeah, why on earth would Littlefinger give Sansa Stark to the allies of the Lannisters when he's working against them...? facepalm.gif

sinxtanx

Continued show spoiler(? this is speculation territory) discussion:
Maybe Littlefinger has Sansa murdalize Ramsay during the bedding. For conspiracy reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom