• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

If we see her (pls!), she will probably be different. The wolves in season 1 were just dogs they had on set, now they film a wolf on a green screen and then size them up and impose them into scenes.

according to this post they use dogs, not wolves. if she's going to be different, fine make her bigger but...don't change her design. her face is so friggin cute.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah that way each Stark has their own super power.

Bran - warging, time travel
Jon - chosen one, good fighter, resurrection
Arya - face magic, stealth murders
Sansa - mad sewing skills

Rickon - Good Straightline Speed but lacking change of direction ability.

shira

If we see her (pls!), she will probably be different. The wolves in season 1 were just dogs they had on set, now they film a wolf on a green screen and then size them up and impose them into scenes.

If we get a scene with the Queen of the Pack Nymeria they are touting in the books vs one of the dragons
luna_love.gif

Speaking of wolves where the hell was Ghost in E01?

I swear, ignoring the connection between the Starks and their wolves is one of my biggest problems with this show. They're just as important to them as the dragons are to Dany!

Aurongel

I swear, ignoring the connection between the Starks and their wolves is one of my biggest problems with this show. They're just as important to them as the dragons are to Dany!
Budget issues with their CG. Same reason he wasn't at the Battle of the Bastards.

that makes me very upset. i wish they would just up the budget. i'm sure they'd still make plenty of profit.

Budget issues with their CG. Same reason he wasn't at the Battle of the Bastards.

We were lucky he wasn't there, would have been dead for sure. Though it would have been cool to see him killing on the battlefield and surviving.

that makes me very upset. i wish they would just up the budget. i'm sure they'd still make plenty of profit.

Showing ghost for all of 2 minutes isn't going to recoup the cost to generate him probably. Jon is still compelling with out him, butbi agree I wish he was on screen more.

We were lucky he wasn't there, would have been dead for sure. Though it would have been cool to see him killing on the battlefield and surviving.

Showing ghost for all of 2 minutes isn't going to recoup the cost to generate him probably. Jon is still compelling with out him, butbi agree I wish he was on screen more.

i'm not sure what you're saying, are you saying having him there even for 2 minutes more than the screentime he already has would make the budget much, much higher and not worth it?

jfkgoblue

I don't understand how they have budget for three full on CGI dragons and not for a green screen and a dog.
Priorities. The show has never emphasized the importance of the direwolves like the books did, it has however, emphasized the importance of the dragons.
I can't recall, were we ever given a reason why the world has been stuck for like 8000 years in perpetual medieval times?
No, but the theory is because of the weird seasons, their is no drive to advance technology because it is about maximizing crops in the summer, so no one has time to innovate.

i'm not sure what you're saying, are you saying having him there even for 2 minutes more than the screentime he already has would make the budget much, much higher and not worth it?

I have no idea what it costs to generate a direwolf on screen for 2 minutes and the impacts it may Have on filming, but including him adds next to nothing I think.

Whereas with Danny, she's defined by her dragons and has been since season 1.

I have no idea what it costs to generate a direwolf on screen for 2 minutes and the impacts it may Have on filming, but including him adds next to nothing I think.

Whereas with Danny, she's defined by her dragons and has been since season 1.

but that's because they have been belittled, devalued, undervalued, undermined in the show. safe to say they are just as important in the books as the dragons are; other people in the thread have said as much.

but that's because they have been belittled, devalued, undervalued, undermined in the show. safe to say they are just as important in the books as the dragons are; other people in the thread have said as much.

I'm not disagreeing, I wish we had more of them. But the show is different. Danny's whole thing is the mother of dragons. Jon isn't the father of ghost or a direwolf.

I can't recall, were we ever given a reason why the world has been stuck for like 8000 years in perpetual medieval times?
Nothing specific, as much as I can remember, but speculation ranges from variable seasons resulting in mass death every once in a while, unending feudal warfare, Valyria was somewhat advanced until that ended badly, and magic in general perhaps interferes with some attempts at moving forward.

mantidor

Priorities. The show has never emphasized the importance of the direwolves like the books did, it has however, emphasized the importance of the dragons.

That's not my point, my point is that I find it impossible it is a budget issue, it's a writing decision and it's awful.

So I guess we agree :p basically fuck D&D.

Edit:
Are we going to see the Targaryan sigil for the first time in the intro at Dragonstone? I hope so.

I'm still bothered we didn't get the Lannister one at Kings Landing, Cersei even went to the trouble of bringing down the seven star windows and to throw Lanister lions in them.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Pretty sure that was Arya that did it while warged into Nymeria. Maybe I'm wrong but all the Nymeria POVs were warged Arya, right?
Yeah but that was before she could consciously control her warging.

Nothing specific, as much as I can remember, but speculation ranges from variable seasons resulting in mass death every once in a while, unending feudal warfare, Valyria was somewhat advanced until that ended badly, and magic in general perhaps interferes with some attempts at moving forward.
I like the theory that the Citadel is purposefully holding everyone back so it's easier for them to control everyone.

So I am watching A Lego Brickumentary, which is a pretty cool doc, and then BAM smack in the middle of it they have Ed Sheeran and it totally took me out of the documentary, they even mention him by name. Ridiculous.

I was having dinner last night in a booth in LA and then BAM Ed Sheeran walks in and ruined my dinner and it took me out of my lovely date. He even said hi to us, just awful.

I have the same question with lotr. it's a bit nonsensical how these shows are "based" on Medieval Europe yet they are stuck in that timeline for thousands of years without advancement in technology

It seems likely that Bran could control all the wights collectively with his powers.

Get of of my dead Charles.

Oh God. Does this mean the final scene of the show will be Bran & the Night King talking it out, reviewing the thousands of dead at the NK's feet and the utter devestation he has unleashed on Westeros... and then Bran agreeing to let him go with nothing more than a "goodbye old friend" so he can do it again in a few years?

Oh God. Does this mean the final scene of the show will be Bran & the Night King talking it out, reviewing the thousands of dead at the NK's feet and the utter devestation he has unleashed on Westeros... and then Bran agreeing to let him go with nothing more than a "goodbye old friend" so he can do it again in a few years?

Needs to have Col. Sanders involved to give it a proper 'Matrix' ending.

Fercho

Just watched the first episode of this season and loved a bunch of scenes, but not a fan of the ending, i was expecting something more bombastic, but anyway.

So basically,
Arya took some role from Lady Stoneheart in the books and wiped the whole Fray family in one night?

Aikidoka

After getting caught up in all the theories and stuff, I decided to finish reading the books (done with Storm of Swords). Did the show ever reveal that it was Joffrey that tried to have Bran assassinated?

Gigglepoo

Just watched the first episode of this season and loved a bunch of scenes, but not a fan of the ending, i was expecting something more bombastic, but anyway.

So basically,
Arya took some role from Lady Stoneheart in the books and wiped the whole Fray family in one night?

Lady Stoneheart is a warning against vengeance without humanity. Doesn't seem like they're portraying Arya's murder spree as anything other than badass. So, no, it doesn't look like they gave Arya the role of Stoneheart.

After getting caught up in all the theories and stuff, I decided to finish reading the books (done with Storm of Swords). Did the show ever reveal that it was Joffrey that tried to have Bran assassinated?

A few characters theorize Joffrey hired Bran's assassin but it's never verified.

Mr Git

I have the same question with lotr. it's a bit nonsensical how these shows are "based" on Medieval Europe yet they are stuck in that timeline for thousands of years without advancement in technology

They have advanced, albeit at a much slower pace to real medieval Europe. The first men had bronze weapons, whereas the Andals had steel. Technological advancement is going to be pretty hamstrung in Westeros though when you've wars, dragons and white walkers fucking shit up. The main reason both ASOIAF and LOTR get around technological advancement in comparison to actual Europe is that Europe didn't have magic.

A few characters theorize Joffrey hired Bran's assassin but it's never verified.

Yeah iirc, Tyrion sort of pieces it together and assumes that Joffrey hired the assassin in a seriously misguided attempt to get some attention from his father (Robert). I don't believe they mentioned that in the show though.

Lady was Sansa's direwolf, and was killed in S1?
ohhh I should've paid attention to the capital L
They have advanced, albeit at a much slower pace to real medieval Europe. The first men had bronze weapons, whereas the Andals had steel. Technological advancement is going to be pretty hamstrung in Westeros though when you've wars, dragons and white walkers fucking shit up. The main reason both ASOIAF and LOTR get around technological advancement in comparison to actual Europe is that Europe didn't have magic.
I see. Well, I don't think magic should prevent massive technological advancements. I guess with the world of asoiaf, once the story is over, it can be presumed that in 1,000 years, Westeros will have developed more into modern day U.K.

Mr Git

ohhh I should've paid attention to the capital L
I see. Well, I don't think magic should prevent massive technological advancements. I guess with the world of asoiaf, once the story is over, it can be presumed that in 1,000 years, Westeros will have developed more into modern day U.K.

If we're comparing them directly probably even longer - the War of the Roses was 15th century and that's generally the basis for much of the war of 5 kings. But no one is gonna bother with 4 course crop rotation or steam engines when you have magic, perpetual war and supernatural calamities. That's the only interpretation I have for why they've been stuck there for thousands of years. Generating steam is pretty drab compared to creating fireballs.

If we're comparing them directly probably even longer - the War of the Roses was 15th century and that's generally the basis for much of the war of 5 kings. But no one is gonna bother with 4 course crop rotation or steam engines when you have magic, perpetual war and supernatural calamities. That's the only interpretation I have for why they've been stuck there for thousands of years. Generating steam is pretty drab compared to creating fireballs.
What about making cars and guns instead of still riding horses and shooting arrows?

edit: this is just nitpicking, by the way. I love this show, I think GRRM is a genius. Just that it's not perfect =]

Aikidoka

I imagine it's pretty difficult to ascertain the ages of things that are tens- to hundreds of thousands of years old without some pretty sophisticated technology (meaning nuclear decay). So the timeline presented by the characters is probably just really wrong I'd say.
edit: there are geological processes they could use, but I wonder how much that analysis relies on sophisticated equipment.

jfkgoblue

I imagine it's pretty difficult to ascertain the ages of things that are tens- to hundreds of thousands of years old without some pretty sophisticated technology (meaning nuclear decay). So the timeline presented by the characters is probably just really wrong I'd say.
edit: there are geological processes they could use, but I wonder how much that analysis relies on sophisticated equipment.
I think they even mention in the books that the long night probably wasn't 10,000 years ago, more like 1,000.

mantidor

In theory OldTown registers everything, don't they? The lack of technology seems to be supported simply in the existence of magic.

Top Bottom