• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unpopular TV takes?

DaciaJC

Gold Member
The Pacific is in most ways better than Band of Brothers. Certainly in terms of depicting the putrid griminess of war, and I would argue also in showing the mental toll of being in combat.

TDiddyLive

If you think Breaking Bad is great TV you need to watch more fiction.
Came here to talk about how bad that show really was. So many things to say but I will focus on how everyone was intimidated by the main character when, for most of the series, he did nothing intimidating except talk in a low grumble when he was mad.

Doom85

Came here to talk about how bad that show really was. So many things to say but I will focus on how everyone was intimidated by the main character when, for most of the series, he did nothing intimidating except talk in a low grumble when he was mad.

Who was intimidated that didn’t have a reason to be? Honestly most weren’t.

Jesse - sometimes he could be, sometimes not, and either way it made sense based on the context of the moment
Skylar - usually wasn’t
Hank - wasn’t sure exactly how well connected Walt was upon learning the truth (mind you, Hank had nearly been killed by Tuco’s cousins not that long ago, so he has reasons for no longer underestimating those in the drug trade), regardless he never stopped trying to expose that Walt was Heisenberg
Saul - is a generally easily intimidated person, but he does finally stand up for himself at the end when he realizes Walt has basically nothing left
Marie - wasn’t intimidated for the most part
Tuco - only briefly intimidated when Walt blew a freaking hole in his wall, but otherwise was never intimidated
Gus - not once intimidated
Mike - likewise
Jack - likewise

Seriously, what show were you watching?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'm rewatching old Frasier episodes.

The show is awful outside of the Frasier & Niles characters. Daphne is retarded. Martin and Eddie are so boring they don't belong. Roz likes to have sex with men, har har. Bulldog has 0 redeeming qualities.

Liked this show way more back in the 90s.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
After Mash, Last Man Standing is the best sitcom.
I thought you were talking about the MASH spinoff (called "After MASH") where Klinger and Col. Potter return to Missouri and are doctors

Then I thought "If this dude considers that to be one of the best sitcoms of all time, that's certainly a take"

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Always Sunny in Philadelphia isn't that funny.

In fact I think it's really tame.
200.gif

I love it.

- Weekly episode release is miles better than a season being dropped all at once.

- Most (maybe all?) of Skyler White's actions were understandable.

Sonik

The Leftovers was pretentious hogwash with a bunch of braindead allegories used as a red herring to avoid explaining the mystery, so yeah, yet another infuriating Lindelof grift. I have no fucking idea why the fuck people made excuses for that bullshit, sure it had some good characters and some very good moments usually in season 1 but especially the last season was incomprehensible emotional bullshit trying to distract from the fact the the hack had no explanation for the mystery he made up.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

I thought you were talking about the MASH spinoff (called "After MASH") where Klinger and Col. Potter return to Missouri and are doctors

Then I thought "If this dude considers that to be one of the best sitcoms of all time, that's certainly a take"
I wasn’t even aware there was a spinoff…

I think many people share my opinion, but I am one of the biggest Star Trek fans, but Discovery is garbage, had to give up in season 3.

Strange New Worlds is much better, but still nothing compared to the old shows.

Sonik

Most people turn off motion smoothing on the TVs, it is the first thing you should do, some people like it.

Kind of offtopic but motion smoothing is great and makes action look far better. Movies staying 24fps as a relic of the past because audiences were used to it and "it looks more like a movie" to them is so unfathomably dumb

Ulysses 31

Kind of offtopic but motion smoothing is great and makes action look far better. Movies staying 24fps as a relic of the past because audiences were used to it and "it looks more like a movie" to them is so unfathomably dumb
Might have something to do with CRTs being so rare these days. On modern sample and hold displays 24 fps looks stuttery when there's any camera panning without any motion interpolation.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I have a hard time starting to watch shows for a long long while. Most of it is mediocre at best. Maybe I'm out of touch and or don't want to invest time to realize it's shit. Lukewarm boring interpersonal drama on the fore front etc.

Like someone I think or should say; it's always so predictable cookie cutter.

I'm spoiled perhaps.

Last edited:

Sonik

I have a hard time starting to watch shows for a long long while. Most of it is mediocre at best. Maybe I'm out of touch and or don't want to invest time to realize it's shit. And like someone I think or should say; it's always so predictable cookie cutter.

I'm spoiled perhaps.

Nah you're not spoiled you just have standards, I keep getting disappointed so I've almost given up too. I was watching Fallout because modern audiences have such low expectations that they praise mid shit like it now and left it almost at the end because I just can't take the mediocrity anymore, not a bad show but it's so fucking bland, even the edgy gory stuff are generic somehow. And with every new show I abandon before finishing it the less I want to watch anything else

Might have something to do with CRTs being so rare these days. On modern sample and hold displays 24 fps looks stuttery when there's any camera panning without any motion interpolation.

I always looked like shit to me compared to more frames because surprise surprise the human eye doesn't see in just 24fps so more frames look more natural and detailed to our brains, most people just got used to 24fps and don't like the better solution. If you showed someone movies at 60fps or more since they were born and then told him how we watch movies he'd think we're all retarded

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Nah you're not spoiled you just have standards, I keep getting disappointed so I've almost given up too. I was watching Fallout because modern audiences have such low expectations that they praise mid shit like it now and left it almost at the end because I just can't take the mediocrity anymore, not a bad show but it's so fucking bland, even the edgy gory stuff are generic somehow. And with every new show I abandon before finishing it the less I want to watch anything else

Didn't wanted to say it but yeah I'm highly critical. Although selective if that makes sense.

Stopped the Fallout pilot after 20 minutes because 1 it was boringly shot and secondly the "raider" was a handsome naked man.

I mean. What's there to say

Winter John

Gold Member
Hank spends most of his time being a total dick, especially to Marie. People only think he's a good guy because of the end.

Fbh

Just as with games, I don't like how a lot of TV shows have been getting longer.
I miss the 45 minutes format now that more and more shows go for the 60 minutes (sometimes more) one.

I just want to unwind and watch something as I'm having dinner. I don't want to watch a mini movie

Mr. Robot had a great first season where every episode upset the status quo. All of Season 3 had the same amount of plot as one Season 1 episode, and I wonder what could've been if it had kept up the pace for its entire run.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
The first season of Westworld is some of the best TV ever. Then the rest of the seasons are some of the worst. What the fuck happened?

The first season of Westworld is some of the best TV ever. Then the rest of the seasons are some of the worst. What the fuck happened?
I'm watching it for the first time and am in the middle of Season 2. Seems like any time someone is about to answer a question with something other than poetic vagueness, a poorly done action scene breaks out.

Top Bottom