• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 4 Thread

Yea afaik you can select everything and drag drop the material on it in the viewport. I don't know if you can group things and apply a material to that group. I am pretty sure it is possible but I don't have UE4 in my work computer to test out.

That's really good to know. I'd play around myself, but my current computer can't run Halo PC at 60FPS unless it's at 480p. With that in mind, would anyone here be interested in a moderate-level test in UE4 for me? It'd involve applying a "global shader" to the Space Shooter sample and just snapping a few pics.

Applying this globally, more specifically.

Tain

The fuzziness is definitely Temporal Anti-Aliasing. I'm not sure what the ini setting to turn it off is (there isn't an option for it in the GUI ini configurator), so I've only turned it off in editor viewports and global postprocessing volumes.

It bugs me, though. Sometimes a totally static image will judder a little due to it, lol. Unfortunately the Sleeping Dogs style reflections are super raw dithered pixels without any kind of AA.

Eteric Rice

Just popping in to ask. Did they add anything that I can run on my computer to see what the omggraphics will look like in this engine? I know some companies do that kind of thing, and I'm kind of curious as to how my PC will do.

If anyone with some more experience could help me out with this-- would UE4 be good to make a simulator game? Something that's mostly just menus with not as much art? Or would something like GameMaker: Studio or Unity be better? Looking towards getting UE4 anyways, but would like to know if anyone could give any thoughts on it.

If anyone with some more experience could help me out with this-- would UE4 be good to make a simulator game? Something that's mostly just menus with not as much art? Or would something like GameMaker: Studio or Unity be better? Looking towards getting UE4 anyways, but would like to know if anyone could give any thoughts on it.

Would need to know a bit more about what you are doing, but UE4 is unlikely to be a good choice. Something like gamemaker, maybe visionaire or unity with a UI package would probably do a better job.

UI/menus does not seem to be a UE4 strong point at this stage.

For someone completely ignorant on all this stuff, would it be a simple task for me to subscribe just to play around in the tech demos?

Well, if you just want to see how it looks on your PC you can just wait for people to package good demos. If you want to tinker and adjust them you can subscribe since you only need to do it for one month to get those benefits out of it.

Which level is this from? I only found the tower level while briefly looking through the samples. Some samples look really awesome though.

I mentioned in my post where I shared the packages, if you start the entire MP Shooter thing you get in a menu, not in the level where you have settings and can choose to play free 4 all or deathmatch with bots. You can also select the level within the editor if you want to do that. Anyhow, if you pick Free 4 All, you get that map.

Can you actually modify the samples they've given at all? Not for distribution, I mean, just for shits and giggles.

I have modified one of those a bit in one of the packages I shared, but you are even allowed to use them for your own projects, I just packaged them and shared them for people to test them on their PCs.

So how much of it is actually coding vs how much is you working in the level/editor non code environment. This is a new thing for me so sorry for the beginners questions!

It kind of depends on what you want to do. I am not sure what the limitations are yet to the Blueprint system, or how much it matters for performance, and what your preference is but I can see that people would work only in the Blueprint system mostly programmers would prefer working more with code.

Just popping in to ask. Did they add anything that I can run on my computer to see what the omggraphics will look like in this engine? I know some companies do that kind of thing, and I'm kind of curious as to how my PC will do.

Have any of the real time demos been released to the public? I'd love to see how my build handles UE4 goodness.

:'(

I have shared a couple of packages in this thread. I will put them in one post later and might redo/delete/reorganize stuff.

3 Demos

Useful Console Commands

The pretty demo without automatic flythrough, but no option to do console commands.

What specs are you guys running? About to build a new pc and debating wether to get an FX6300 or i3. It does ask for a Quad Core cpu but a i3 might be able to cut it?

What specs are you guys running? About to build a new pc and debating wether to get an FX6300 or i3. It does ask for a Quad Core cpu but a i3 might be able to cut it?

I5 2500K, HD 6950, 8GB RAM.

Working with the engine is even more demanding than playing the games, so I am not sure which of the two you want to do.

I'd recommend the Intel as it would probably run better, but with a new PC I would definitely want to go for a quad core. I can always recommend the PC thread though, tell your budget and you can get plenty of options there.

commedieu

Banned
I'm following some of the tutorials here at work, thinking of pulling the trigger when I get home tonight. My background is VFX, and 3d modeling...

So.. I see that this guy;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxrydy8ZlV8&list=PLZlv_N0_O1gaCL2XjKluO7N2Pmmw9pvhE

Seems to not care about geometry clipping through other surfaces. Faces that won't be seen -due to them being occluded by other geometry- aren't deleted, etc. If he extrudes a pillar, and it pops out of the top of the other side of the ceiling/floor it doesn't seem to matter;

Is this just this man's style of doing it? Or is there no penalty come compiling time for intersecting geometry? I'm just curious. I think it would make the budget for the scene smaller if these things were done. Is it something you do later? Or, does deleting faces and optimizing in that way, break something as far as the way that the unreal engine handles geometry..?

I do it by habit, so seeing it not be done is killing me.
Thanks.

There is definitely Android and iOS support, but there are not as many platforms as Unity.

Cool. Just interested in PC/macos/android/ios.

Baleoce

Seems to not care about geometry clipping through other surfaces. Faces that won't be seen -due to them being occluded by other geometry- aren't deleted, etc. If he extrudes a pillar, and it pops out of the top of the other side of the ceiling/floor it doesn't seem to matter;

Is this just this man's style of doing it? Or is there no penalty come compiling time for intersecting geometry? I'm just curious. I think it would make the budget for the scene smaller if these things were done. Is it something you do later? Or, does deleting faces and optimizing in that way, break something as far as the way that the unreal engine handles geometry..?

Thanks.

Actually I get the impression that in his normal workflow he'd be quite OCD (as he should be) about getting those kinds of things right. I think he's just cutting a few corners for the sake of it being an introductory tutorial.

I'm following some of the tutorials here at work, thinking of pulling the trigger when I get home tonight. My background is VFX, and 3d modeling...

So.. I see that this guy;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxrydy8ZlV8&list=PLZlv_N0_O1gaCL2XjKluO7N2Pmmw9pvhE

Thanks.

Cool. Just interested in PC/macos/android/ios.

Nah, it is normal to have objects clipping. In many cases you don't even really have much of a choice. Think when you would place a rock on a uneven landscape or something, you would just partly place it in the landscape so that it looks a bit right.

I don't think it has a performance impact, at least not a significant one.

commedieu

Banned
Actually I get the impression that in his normal workflow he'd be quite OCD (as he should be) about getting those kinds of things right. I think he's just cutting a few corners for the sake of it being an introductory tutorial.

Nah, it is normal to have objects clipping. In many cases you don't even really have much of a choice. Think when you would place a rock on a uneven landscape or something, you would just partly place it in the landscape so that it looks a bit right.

Thanks guys,

So is that something that would be done in a game engine? Rock example; deleting the faces that won't be seen on the other side of the ground..? Also, i don't even know of the geometry tool allows for you to delete faces. Was just curious, but yeah, if its normal.. and it doesn't really freak anything out.. cool beans. Can't wait to get my filthy hands on this.

Bal,

thats the impression I got as well as far as overall placement, but nothing was mentioned about geo intersecting.

Im' just thinking that ultimately, all of those unseen faces add up as far as the overall polygon count of a stage. So, if you can optimize, you'd have more for other things. Clearly thinking way ahead, but i think its a good q none the less.

You two working on anything atm?

EVIL

Is there a way to lower settings in the viewport? there is AA that I might not need to see, when working with the engine.

Tain

Is there a way to lower settings in the viewport? there is AA that I might not need to see, when working with the engine.

The show button, up top. I'm trying to figure out how to disable some of this stuff project-wide but the settings aren't under project settings in the GUI and they aren't listed in the INI files by default, so I don't know what to do right now.

lordfroakie said:
Is it possible to make a racing game with blueprint?

It should be, yeah.

charsace

Pretty much. Clipping and sorting issues are just apart of 3d.

EVIL

The show button, up top. I'm trying to figure out how to disable some of this stuff project-wide but the settings aren't under project settings in the GUI and they aren't listed in the INI files by default, so I don't know what to do right now.

It should be, yeah.

DERP! was staring me in the face! and yeah it resets everytime

Thanks guys,

So is that something that would be done in a game engine? Rock example; deleting the faces that won't be seen on the other side of the ground..? Also, i don't even know of the geometry tool allows for you to delete faces. Was just curious, but yeah, if its normal.. and it doesn't really freak anything out.. cool beans. Can't wait to get my filthy hands on this.

Bal,

thats the impression I got as well as far as overall placement, but nothing was mentioned about geo intersecting.

Im' just thinking that ultimately, all of those unseen faces add up as far as the overall polygon count of a stage. So, if you can optimize, you'd have more for other things. Clearly thinking way ahead, but i think its a good q none the less.

You two working on anything atm?

If there is big stuff that you see from one side you might have an artist delete all the faces of one side before importing it into the engine. And an engine also does can do that sort of stuff, but you don't have to worry about a few faces.

Optimizing early on is not a good thing to do even when it may seem efficient, but the few faces being there even though you cannot see them will not make a big difference.

Well, unless...

Right now I am just trying different parts of the engine. I tried to do things with the destructible meshes, and they work decently, but I seem to not be able to allow them to "take some damage" before they break down. Right now they collapse completely as soon as anything hits it.

Also tried some stuff with the landscapes, apparently holes in landscapes to make caves does not work at all.

I think I will tomorrow try to modify the shooter for something a bit more fun so I can try to make a basic multiplayer level in it as a portfolio piece.

Maybe afterwards a bit of a horror or something to utilize triggers a bit more.

Quick Settings has an option for graphics. There is also an option somewhere for AA in the viewport, but I don't remember where, might have been project settings or maybe world settings, but not sure anymore.

Is it possible to make a racing game with blueprint?

Yes, and it already seems to have some sort of vehicle support.

Dmented

Banned
God I wish I knew some programming or someone who could give me some tips every now and then. I'd love to dig into this. (Among other things) We should be friends Durante! lol

Skinpop

Polygons are cheap, it's not worth worrying about. Stuff like the beams would be instanced anyway so the memory footprint won't be an issue. Think about a large forest with hundreds of trees. Would it be worth removing all the clipping geometry and ending up with 100 unique meshes as opposed to having just 3-4 instanced variations?

Doesn't mean you should go crazy with the polygons, but spending lots of time optimizing is almost never worth it these days.

God I wish I knew some programming or someone who could give me some tips every now and then. I'd love to dig into this. (Among other things) We should be friends Durante! lol
it's never too late to start, and you'll never regret learning it while I can promise you'll regret if you don't.

Blizzard

Banned
Polygons are cheap, it's not worth worrying about. Stuff like the beams would be instanced anyway so the memory footprint won't be an issue. Think about a large forest with hundreds of trees. Would it be worth removing all the clipping geometry and ending up with 100 unique meshes as opposed to having just 3-4 instanced variations?

Doesn't mean you should go crazy with the polygons, but spending lots of time optimizing is almost never worth it these days.
And I feel like this kind of attitude (like when they basically tell students in college "Oh don't worry about efficiency, computers are so fast and compilers are so smart everything will be taken care of") results in the sort of bloated software or game performance problems that can show up today. :p

Spending too much time optimizing too early is generally bad, certainly. I would say in particular that you want to find a way to identify a bottleneck by statistics, profiling, or whatnot, and then focus on optimizing that area.

Skinpop

And I feel like this kind of attitude (like when they basically tell students in college "Oh don't worry about efficiency, computers are so fast and compilers are so smart everything will be taken care of") results in the sort of bloated software or game performance problems that can show up today. :p

Spending too much time optimizing too early is generally bad, certainly. I would say in particular that you want to find a way to identify a bottleneck by statistics, profiling, or whatnot, and then focus on optimizing that area.

It's not an attitude such as you describe it. In some instances obsessing over poly count is even completely pointless due to how the hardware works. Also assets are usually used in a modular way, if you start removing faces here and there you'll increase the amount of assets, make later changes hard to make and gain probably nothing.

When I say worrying about poly count is a thing of the past I don't mean you are free to use as many as you want but rather that the time spent /performance gained trade off is not in the favor of optimizing. You should use what looks good enough for the level of fidelity you're going for. No one will give you a pat on the back for spending hours shaving 20 polies off some arbitrary object, it's a waste of time.

It's an optimization not to optimize in this case ;P

Soi-Fong

it's never too late to start, and you'll never regret learning it while I can promise you'll regret if you don't.

I know Durante linked to two links that are good to start with.

I feel like software (not just games) in general are so behind hardware progression. It seems like many software engineers are just waiting for the hardware to get faster instead of working towards a faster or more efficient algorithm. Does that make sense?

Blizzard

Banned
It's not an attitude such as you describe it. In some instances obsessing over poly count is even completely pointless due to how the hardware works. Also assets are usually used in a modular way, if you start removing faces here and there you'll increase the amount of assets, make later changes hard to make and gain probably nothing.

When I say worrying about poly count is a thing of the past I don't mean you are free to use as many as you want but rather that the time spent /performance gained trade off is not in the favor of optimizing. You should use what looks good enough for the level of fidelity you're going for. No one will give you a pat on the back for spending hours shaving 20 polies off some arbitrary object, it's a waste of time.

It's an optimization not to optimize in this case ;P
Sure, but I wanted to address the particular point that I bolded, and try to clarify that it's not like optimization in general is bad. :p I recall even in the UDK I was getting performance improvements on things that most people seemed to just immediately say oh that's impossible, or oh don't do that with UDK, or oh you need a better computer.

Then one crazy person on IRC was like, "Hmm, maybe if you try this trick, and this trick, it could actually work" and bam, way fewer draw calls, and way better performance, and I was able to do the crazy test I was trying.

I feel like software (not just games) in general are so behind hardware progression. It seems like many software engineers are just waiting for the hardware to get faster instead of working towards a faster or more efficient algorithm. Does that make sense?
Makes sense to me. It's not true of everyone of course. For example, I seem to recall a presentation from Naughty Dog a while back about how they were able to do so well on the PS3 hardware, and (I think?) it was largely because they understood the hardware really well and optimized accordingly. BUT, again that's presumably after identifying bottlenecks. As Skinpop is pointing out, a few polygons might not make a difference, but other things might, so you don't want to spend a lot of time optimizing when it's not important.

commedieu

Banned
Thanks for the education guys. appreciate it...

Just watching this sony vr gdc talk -- they've mentioned epic as a partner. Woot. (and unity) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWMp_o03qH4

58 mins.
P3180256-X2-820x420.jpg

Sure, but I wanted to address the particular point that I bolded, and try to clarify that it's not like optimization in general is bad. :p I recall even in the UDK I was getting performance improvements on things that most people seemed to just immediately say oh that's impossible, or oh don't do that with UDK, or oh you need a better computer.

Then one crazy person on IRC was like, "Hmm, maybe if you try this trick, and this trick, it could actually work" and bam, way fewer draw calls, and way better performance, and I was able to do the crazy test I was trying.

Hey Blizzard what are good dev IRC channels to be in? (UE, Unity, the bunch)

Skinpop

I think the issue is rather that a most software tries to cater to a lot of needs. If they knew it would only be used in a specific way they'd probably optimize the hell out of it but that would also make it very limited. There's no way around this, but now we're reaching the stage where for most kind of games the lost performance doesn't have a large impact while doing a tailored engine from the ground up would be very inefficient.

Sure but that's more of an engineering/programming/workflow kind of issue, as an artist you're gonna have set limitations and guidelines - there's not gonna be much impact in terms of optimization from your end.

The Naughty dog talk also mentioned the Pareto principle(80/20) rule and I'd say that goes for asset optimization as well.

I think the issue is rather that a most software tries to cater to a lot of needs. If they knew it would only be used in a specific way they'd probably optimize the hell out of it but that would also make it very limited. There's no way around this, but now we're reaching the stage where for most kind of games the lost performance doesn't have a large impact while doing a tailored engine from the ground up would be very inefficient.

Hm this is a good point, I guess it's tough to optimize the monoliths.

I think Freenode has the main #unrealengine, #opengl, #blender, and maybe #c++ channels depending on what you're into.

Thanks!

RiZ III

Idk about how non-game companies operate, but this is generally not the case with games. Basically every development studio working on a console is going to spend a tremendous amount of effort to optimize the engine, game code, and art in order for the game to perform well. Getting AAA games to look good and run well is a very difficult task. Without proper architecture and constant iteration on every part of the pipeline, no game will run well on a console.

Idk about how non-game companies operate, but this is generally not the case with games. Basically every development studio working on a console is going to spend a tremendous amount of effort to optimize the engine, game code, and art in order for the game to perform well. Getting AAA games to look good and run well is a very difficult task. Without proper architecture and constant iteration on every part of the pipeline, no game will run well on a console.

Yeah I had PC in my mind when writing that. That definitely makes sense for consoles. They have to make due with what they have.

Mik2121

Ugh... since this morning every time I boot up the Unreal Engine, there's an update that gets stuck at 81%. What the hell, now I can't load the engine and I wanted to try some stuff before starting work :(
Edit: Even if I try to boot up the engine via the 4.0/Engine/Binaries/Win64/UE4Editor.exe it actually goes to the update window and gets stuck there, so I can't get to the main portal window.

Edit: Got it to work. It updated fine now.

It's been a long time since I used 3DS MAX but I still run dual Quadro 2000's in the current main work rig. How is this setup for UE4 dev?

i7-3770 3.50Ghz
16Gb DD3
2x256Gb SSD
1x1Tb SATAIII
2xQuadro 2000 with a 4 monitor setup

I've been considering swapping out the Quadros for consumer GTX Titans in SLI and UE4 as this price point will have me subscribing just to tinker around. Which should I go with? Stick with the Quadros or swap over to Titans?

I don't really game on my PC any more BTW.

jediyoshi

I ported owen to the source engine for fun.

o3qkvtc.png

He's about 99% coloured through materials in UE4, so I just slapped on 2x2 px solid textures just to get colour on there (it's got giant normals though).

Those demos, are they standalone, or do I need the Unreal Engine 4 editor to run them?

They're standalone.

Blizzard

Banned
Ugh... since this morning every time I boot up the Unreal Engine, there's an update that gets stuck at 81%. What the hell, now I can't load the engine and I wanted to try some stuff before starting work :(
Edit: Even if I try to boot up the engine via the 4.0/Engine/Binaries/Win64/UE4Editor.exe it actually goes to the update window and gets stuck there, so I can't get to the main portal window.

Edit: Got it to work. It updated fine now.
Did you have to do anything special or did it just fix itself after being stuck eventually?

Top Bottom