• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 4 Thread

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I ported owen to the source engine for fun.

o3qkvtc.png

He's about 99% coloured through materials in UE4, so I just slapped on 2x2 px solid textures just to get colour on there (it's got giant normals though).

this actually looks weirdly amazing?

Animator

As a rule, programmers and animators are extremely rare when it comes to the Unreal Engine 4. If you find a proficient one, they probably already taken.

I can see why because getting animation in the engine is a pain in the ass if you are not using the Unreal animation tools for maya. And that only seems to make bipedal characters. Would love to hear about animation workflows for UE4.

Blizzard

Banned
I think I got basic skeleton animation working from Blender into UDK, and used it to make a bunch of little robots.

But, that may not have been super complex.

Techies

4chsmCW.jpg

That Shooter Demo comes with working Splitscreen too!
The gameplay might be minimal, but it isn't bad at all. Pacing and Sprinting kinda feels dead on already.

Animator

I think I got basic skeleton animation working from Blender into UDK, and used it to make a bunch of little robots.

But, that may not have been super complex.

No thats perfectly fine. Can you please tell me your workflow for getting custom rigs into ue4?

USIGSJ

I think I've read somewhere that they removed the effect, in UE3 it was quite buggy and hard to use that feature. In actual practice I'd always end up using regular lights.

Blizzard

Banned
No thats perfectly fine. Can you please tell me your workflow for getting custom rigs into ue4?
It was a while ago so I don't remember exactly. Just googling something like "Blender skeletal animation udk" should give you a lot of resources. Here are some I just looked up:

http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/915556-Blender-to-UDK-rigging-guide-tutorial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3QYCjX_vrg
http://pixel-butterfly.blogspot.com/2013/09/how-to-export-smooth-skinned-meshes.html
http://krisredbeard.wordpress.com/tutorials/tutorial-blender-to-udk-player-model/

If I recall correctly I just used FBX and it was all simple, but I don't know if there are any limitations there. Also be aware that some tutorials may be for old versions of Blender. You can experiment or ask at #blender on freenode if you have questions.

Blizzard

Banned
Can textures cast light? besides just glow. If so, how do I enable this effect?
In UDK they could be emissive and get baked into lightmass I -think-. But it sounds like there were problems with that and it isn't in UE4.

I might have seen another thread about it, but I found this: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/5498/question-using-emissive-for-lighting.html

*edit* There are no less than FOUR Epic employees idling in the #unrealengine channel at the moment. It's really nice to see that so people can ask questions or get feedback directly.

Tain

I miss the "Convert BSP to Static Mesh" option for sloppy quick models, but it sounds like they're bringing it back.

I miss the "Convert BSP to Static Mesh" option for sloppy quick models, but it sounds like they're bringing it back.

7MHQ3.png

Am I missing something? Because Create Static Mesh does exactly that no?

How usefull is Blender for creating art for a UE4 game?

Very useful, the industry standard is probably Maya, but is not really an option for developers without money. Although plenty of people that pirate it.

Does UE4 allow digging caves and overhangs into terrain or is all terrain just height mapping? Are we still limited to using static meshes attached to terrain to make a cave/overhang? That's the problem Unity has. Would be nice to truly be able to dig anywhere at any angle instead of just raising and lowering what is essentially a giant flat mesh.

Does UE4 allow digging caves and overhangs into terrain or is all terrain just height mapping? Are we still limited to using static meshes attached to terrain to make a cave/overhang? That's the problem Unity has. Would be nice to truly be able to dig anywhere at any angle instead of just raising and lowering what is essentially a giant flat mash.

You can make holes in the terrain to attach your static meshes to, so that is basically it. Does not work correctly now though.

That or multiple terrains.

Techies

You really need to try the reflections demo in order to appreciate it. Spark dropping and bouncing on the floor which lights up the water, which in return reflects the lights onto the wall.

GruntosUK

Worth noting that students get pretty much all Autodesk products (including Maya) for free.

True, although officially not for commercial work. Although they probably don't mind too much.

It says every time you save that the models are not for commercial use. You can't even import them into the full version, they have to made again from scratch. I wouldn't recommend using it for commercial purposes.

Maya LT is available for £50 a month, £700 outright, its made specifically for game makers (all modelling and animation tools, no rendering or lighting).

But Blender is excellent for free, and GIMP will do a great job for texturing etc. I used BlenderCookie and this, http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro to learn what I needed. I'm using Maya now and find it much better, but that comes down to if you can afford it (I'm using the student edition until I find my feet) and most importantly, preference.

Man

I cloned the sourcecode and I've compiled it. All good.

When I open the marketplace it starts downloading the Unreal Engine however. Is it not possible for it to use my fork of the code?

aimjay

Neo Member
Started messing today, built a very rudimentary copy of my house 2nd floor.

Am i totally crazy thinking i can achieve some kind of game here ? I know nothing of game making, always wanted to tho.

sirap

Started messing today, built a very rudimentary copy of my house 2nd floor.

Am i totally crazy thinking i can achieve some kind of game here ? I know nothing of game making, always wanted to tho.

you can, the blueprint system is really powerful. Took me a weekend to create an Infinity Blade combat system using nothing but blueprint. It will never be as fast as actually programming it in, but for artists it's pretty crazy.

syko de4d

you can, the blueprint system is really powerful. Took me a weekend to create an Infinity Blade combat system using nothing but blueprint. It will never be as fast as actually programming it in, but for artists it's pretty crazy.

and later you can buy user made stuff from the market or? E.g. i read how one wants to build Mirrors Edge like jumping system and sell it as soon as the market is up for everyone. So maybe in 1year you can buy alot of stuff you cant do yourself in the market.

edit: still no paypal support <.<

Durante

I'm still very impressed by the technology, but a bit held up by the documentation.

Most of it, particularly the tutorials, seem to be aimed either at using the editor or using blueprints, and I don't really need a tutorial for that. And the introductory C++ stuff spends a lot of time teaching very basic programming things, and remains on a very shallow level.

I guess my use case (knowing very well how to program C++ and just wanting to learn how the engine ticks -- not just how to use it) is more rare than the one served by the blueprint tutorials, but it would still be nice to have some in-depth documentation which actually describes the core concepts of the engine. Like "these are the data structures, these are the essential threads and what they do, these are the core algorithms". So far, I've found that the best thing to do in that regard is reading the source code, but that takes a while for 800k lines in the runtime and 3m overall.

I'm still very impressed by the technology, but a bit held up by the documentation.

Most of it, particularly the tutorials, seem to be aimed either at using the editor or using blueprints, and I don't really need a tutorial for that. And the introductory C++ stuff spends a lot of time teaching very basic programming things, and remains on a very shallow level.

I guess my use case (knowing very well how to program C++ and just wanting to learn how the engine ticks -- not just how to use it) is more rare than the one served by the blueprint tutorials, but it would still be nice to have some in-depth documentation which actually describes the core concepts of the engine. Like "these are the data structures, these are the essential threads and what they do, these are the core algorithms". So far, I've found that the best thing to do in that regard is reading the source code, but that takes a while for 800k lines in the runtime and 3m overall.

Yeah, it seems to be more aimed to people like me right now, learning how to do materials and blueprints, not the heavy coding side. Its slowly getting better, but it definitely needs work. Google doesn't return any results yet for the wiki, and the tutorials that are there don't cover nearly as much as the videos yet.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
But Blender is excellent for free, and GIMP will do a great job for texturing etc. I used BlenderCookie and this, http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro to learn what I needed. I'm using Maya now and find it much better, but that comes down to if you can afford it (I'm using the student edition until I find my feet) and most importantly, preference.

Thanks. That's a good resource. I'm learning blender and that has come in useful.

aimjay

Neo Member

Thx, feel more motivated now

What software should i use for modelling entities and characters ? And textures ?

Was thinking of 3DSMax and Photoshop

charsace

Same problem Unity has.

sirap

and later you can buy user made stuff from the market or? E.g. i read how one wants to build Mirrors Edge like jumping system and sell it as soon as the market is up for everyone. So maybe in 1year you can buy alot of stuff you cant do yourself in the market.

edit: still no paypal support <.<

That's the plan, at least the last time I talked to the guys at Epic. Personally I'm looking forward to the assets store, made some decent cash selling props at Unity.

Thx, feel more motivated now

What software should i use for modelling entities and characters ? And textures ?

Was thinking of 3DSMax and Photoshop

Max or Maya is fine, Maya's integration is a lot stronger this time around. Textures? Photoshop and Mudbox.

Durante

Anyone figured out how to export multiple mesh LOD levels from Blender?

Also, their automatic collision mesh generation sucks -- or I'm doing it wrong.

anteevy

I'm currently evaluating whether to port my game prototype ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePJGJxSugWM ) from Unity Free to UE4.

Still not sure how I'd do a tilemap-based level. I'd somehow need to load it into the editor from an external tilemap level xml file (created with Tiled for example) or something. As there currently are no editor plugin tutorials and barely any documentation, I don't even know where to start. Placing and rotating the tiles by hand in the editor would take centuries. I'm currently looking into mapping the level with bsp brushes, but that is much more limited and not as intuitive (even though my current tileset only consists of flat square floor and wall tiles). Does anyone here have an idea/suggestion?

Durante

I'm currently evaluating whether to port my game prototype ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePJGJxSugWM ) from Unity Free to UE4.

Still not sure how I'd do a tilemap-based level. I'd somehow need to load it into the editor from an external tilemap level xml file (created with Tiled for example) or something. As there currently are no editor plugin tutorials and barely any documentation, I don't even know where to start. Placing and rotating the tiles by hand in the editor would take centuries. I'm currently looking into mapping the level with bsp brushes, but that is much more limited and not as intuitive (even though my current tileset only consists of flat square floor and wall tiles). Does anyone here have an idea/suggestion?
Create a c++ class derived from actor which represents your tile-based level. Give it a string property in which you store the level xml file name. In its startup event you can load the xml file and spawn the tiles at their respective locations (of course you need to import the tiles first). Then you can drag a instance of that class into the editor, set the level name, and it will load the level allowing you to work from there.

(I spent this most of this weekend figuring out how to do level generation from external data in the engine. This is the best I've come up with so far, but I certainly can't claim that it's the one true method!)

aimjay

Neo Member
A few things driving me crazy that should be extremely simple to solve

Is there anyway to snap geometry besides End key to snap to floor ? For example, placing a wall.

Also, for example. Im making a stairs, and if I use the scale mode on them they expand proportionally in the view port, is there a way that i can scale only in the direction of my mouse on the selected axis ?

Also, if i increment the number of steps on a new stair i placed and rotated 90 degree, as soon as i add 1 step it rotates back to original position and its infuriating that i cant solve that

quick edit: also when i rotate some stuff the axis remain referencing to its old state so X in the details tab is Y in the viewport

anteevy

Create a c++ class derived from actor which represents your tile-based level. Give it a string property in which you store the level xml file name. In its startup event you can load the xml file and spawn the tiles at their respective locations (of course you need to import the tiles first). Then you can drag a instance of that class into the editor, set the level name, and it will load the level allowing you to work from there.

(I spent this most of this weekend figuring out how to do level generation from external data in the engine. This is the best I've come up with so far, but I certainly can't claim that it's the one true method!)
Sounds like a good approach! But is the startup event even called in the editor (and if yes, when exactly?)? I thought that would be called when the game loads. And if I edit the level xml outside the UE4 editor, how would I tell the editor to reload the level (i.e. call the method in the actor class)?

Durante

Sorry, I was imprecise. I didn't mean the startup event, I meant the construction script. As for reloading, it's possible to re-run the construction script.

Tain

Sounds like a good approach! But is the startup event even called in the editor (and if yes, when exactly?)? I thought that would be called when the game loads. And if I edit the level xml outside the UE4 editor, how would I tell the editor to reload the level (i.e. call the method in the actor class)?

The editor will call that startup event when you do in-editor playing/simulation. There's also an event in-editor that fires whenever anything is placed or edited, so you could have the class load your XML during that and touch it each time the XML is edited, I suppose.

Top Bottom