• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 4 Thread

anteevy

Sorry, I was imprecise. I didn't mean the startup event, I meant the construction script. As for reloading, it's possible to re-run the construction script.
Ah, okay, makes sense. I noticed this with the "random foliage" in the Blueprint Office Demo - all logic is in the construction script and this seems to be called all the time, e.g. when moving the actor in the scene (in pure editor mode, not simulated).

The editor will call that startup event when you do in-editor playing/simulation. There's also an event in-editor that fires whenever anything is placed or edited, so you could have the class load your XML during that and touch it each time the XML is edited, I suppose.
When I force the construction script via simulate button, won't the changes done by the construction script be undone when leaving simulation mode? Guess I'll have to test that. And which event are you referring to?

I bit the bullet and subscribed today, feels good.

However, does anyone know how would you go about setting up stuff in 3ds Max (such as unit setup, home grid dimensions etc)? The internet isn't giving me an answer.

The UE4 players height is 195cm right? Need to model dem shapes to scale.

syko de4d

Unreal Engine 4.1 Update Preview, which is coming later this month.

https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/41-update-preview

-Elemental demo
-New! SteamOS/Linux Support
-New! Flying and Rolling Project Templates
-New! Scene Outliner Folder System
-New! Asset Deletion Assistant
-New! Undo History Window
-New! Jump to Connection in Graph
-New! Debug Histogram Visualization
-New Experimental Feature: Translation Editor
-Other Improvements and Bug Fixes

Still waiting for Paypal support :D

jediyoshi

Oh nice, a rolling template. Should be fun to mess around with. Still getting used to level design, but it's been straight forward so far, at least over Valve's Hammer.

Switching back and forth between Source Filmmaker and UE has been destroying me lately.

Kilrathi

Here what I been working on.
Also Ya for folders for scene outline and Undo History Window!

Museum in Unreal 4, it going to be playable at pax east in the rift.
UE4_VRMS.jpg

Unreal Engine 4.1 Update Preview, which is coming later this month.

https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/41-update-preview

-Elemental demo
-New! SteamOS/Linux Support
-New! Flying and Rolling Project Templates
-New! Scene Outliner Folder System
-New! Asset Deletion Assistant
-New! Undo History Window
-New! Jump to Connection in Graph
-New! Debug Histogram Visualization
-New Experimental Feature: Translation Editor
-Other Improvements and Bug Fixes

Still waiting for Paypal support :D

I thought I would not care about too much about new features to justify the subscription cost for me, but damn, I probably will keep paying.

I thought I would not care about too much about new features to justify the subscription cost for me, but damn, I probably will keep paying.

I'm not so sure really, there's a lot of stuff I won't ever use even though it will likely be useful to a lot of people.
Wish they did a kind of watered down student version for less or something... Kind of like what UDK was, i'd pay (albeit less) for that.

I'm not so sure really, there's a lot of stuff I won't ever use even though it will likely be useful to a lot of people.
Wish they did a kind of watered down student version for less or something... Kind of like what UDK was, i'd pay (albeit less) for that.

Well, it is not like it is expensive, you can stop paying any time you want, you just won't get updates.

Well, it is not like it is expensive, you can stop paying any time you want, you just won't get updates.

I've subscribed and downloaded the engine, I just don't think it's worth continuing the subscription until they bring out some huge OMGIMUSTHAVEIT feature... the base engine we have now is more than fine for most people IMO.

zoku88

Tried to compile the engine natively in Linux (as opposed to cross compiling, which is the only thing supported now). Was able to get decently far with some edits, but some auto generated header files were missing. (Maybe they come from unreal header tool)?

Trying to figure out how the auto generation works... or the unreal build system in general.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Can you start and stop payments say twice a year so you can keep up to date every 6 months on the latest version?

Techies

I think you just lose access to the new stuff in the marketplace.

Anyways I'm gonna wait until the Elemental demo so I have stuff to play with, it''s gonna be free right?

After that I'm gonna slowly learn it at my own pace.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Yes. The only other thing is that you also lose participation access to the forums and some other community things I think.

Losing forum access is kind of a big deal. Especially if you're a newbie like me.

Stephen Ellis from Epic:-

I just wish to clarify that updates are cumulative. So if you choose to cancel your subscription (and receive no engine updates during that time), when you do renew your subscription later you will receive the latest update which also includes all previous updates.

And about that forum thing. I've registered but haven't paid for it but still have access to the forum.

cyberheater

I don't have a subcription and I can both read and post in the forums...or is it only certain parts of the forum that are restricted?

Same here. It doesn't look restricted to me.

aimjay

Neo Member
Anyone mind giving me a hand on these ? I'm very new, started using 3DSMax 2015 to import some meshes. Anyway, I built a shelf and when i export it to U4 i looks weird.

ivC7Xpv.jpg

Should look like this

sJhN7I4.jpg

I think you just lose access to the new stuff in the marketplace.

Anyways I'm gonna wait until the Elemental demo so I have stuff to play with, it''s gonna be free right?

After that I'm gonna slowly learn it at my own pace.

Yeah it will be free.

And then I am wrong about the forum access, maybe you can't ask questions in the Answerhub or something? Might be wrong.

Anyone mind giving me a hand on these ? I'm very new, started using 3DSMax 2015 to import some meshes. Anyway, I built a shelf and when i export it to U4 i looks weird.

ivC7Xpv.jpg

Should look like this

sJhN7I4.jpg

have you set up your light maps in the second uv channel? if you have, you also need to export using fbx 2013, not 2014. At least that fixed it for me...

Lumicide

Banned
Can you please explain the separate UV channels and what they are used for to me?
The first channel is what your texture will be mapped to, this often overlaps with mirrored meshes, and especially if the mesh is going to use tiled textures. The second one is for the light mapping in engine, each face must have a unique location to receive correct lighting.

Animator

The first channel is what your texture will be mapped to, this often overlaps with mirrored meshes, and especially if the mesh is going to use tiled textures. The second one is for the light mapping in engine, each face must have a unique location to receive correct lighting.

Hmm so for textures I can have overlapping UV's but then I also need to export a second UV set for lighting? How do you set something like that up in Maya? Uv Sets?

Hmm so for textures I can have overlapping UV's but then I also need to export a second UV set for lighting? How do you set something like that up in Maya? Uv Sets?

Yeah, in the second UV set you put your light map uvs, which tend to be a bit different as you cant have any overlapping. In 3ds max you just increase the UV set by one, click move uvs to have a starting point, then collapse the stack once you're done and export

Techies

How easy or hard would you rate it, to port an existing Indie title to the Unreal Engine 4, with regards to assets and level layouts.

Animator

Thank you watching that now.

How easy or hard would you rate it, to port an existing Indie title to the Unreal Engine 4, which regards to assets and level layouts.

Shouldn't be hard. You will need to redo the lighting but other than that most unity assets I brought in worked straight off the bat. I had to reconnect materials for them but didn't take long. And I am a total noob as far as UE4 goes. I love how user friendly this engine is.

Tain

Has anybody ran into any strange differences between Play In Editor and Standalone Game?

I've got actors set up to move based on a property of the player controller, and they move in Simulate, Play In Editor, and Play in New Window, but not in Standalone game. My pawn's input stuff isn't happening either. My custom mode/pawn/controller are all set in Project Settings, so I have no idea what happened. Was working pretty recently!

Raide

Any GAF people downloaded this and then unsubbed? How are they finding it? Really thinking about it now. Just for the heck of it and seeing how far I can get, $20 is dirt cheap.

EMT0

Banned
Indirectly related to UE4, but I've recently started to learn how to model in Blender, but from what I'm hearing it's 3DSMax that everybody tends to use as an industry standard. Can anyone explain why that is/if it's worth switching off of Blender?

Indirectly related to UE4, but I've recently started to learn how to model in Blender, but from what I'm hearing it's 3DSMax that everybody tends to use as an industry standard. Can anyone explain why that is/if it's worth switching off of Blender?

I think Maya is kind of the industry standard, but it has many more features than Blender. If you are beginning with modeling it won't matter much. But when you are animating or are UV unwrapping for example then there a lot of things different in the packages.

I think Maya is kind of the industry standard, but it has many more features than Blender. If you are beginning with modeling it won't matter much. But when you are animating or are UV unwrapping for example then there a lot of things different in the packages.

Every place I've worked at has used 3ds Max. Maya is still used, but generally favourable for the animation teams. They are both as strong as in each in their own ways though.

astonish

Any GAF people downloaded this and then unsubbed? How are they finding it? Really thinking about it now. Just for the heck of it and seeing how far I can get, $20 is dirt cheap.

Wait until 4.1 (later this month). The elemental demo will come will be available as well as everything so far. You should be able to go really far with it. The documentation/forums (at least for reading) isn't behind the paywall.

As for the 3DSMax/Maya vs Blender. Mainly either of those other two programs is going to cost you $50/month or hundreds of dollars.

Raide

Wait until 4.1 (later this month). The elemental demo will come will be available as well as everything so far. You should be able to go really far with it. The documentation/forums (at least for reading) isn't behind the paywall.

Sounds like a plan. Slowly watching Tutorials etc and I might give it a shot. Got a few ideas I have wanted to work on, so seeing how far I can get with Blueprints and tips from the community, it will be a fun test.

astonish

Sounds like a plan. Slowly watching Tutorials etc and I might give it a shot. Got a few ideas I have wanted to work on, so seeing how far I can get with Blueprints and tips from the community, it will be a fun test.

I have casually touched almost every engine out there: UDK, CryEngine, Source (circa HL2), Unity and through work have done a bit with Unigine and GameBryo (circa a long time ago). Although it could be argued each engine makes me a little more prepared for the next, UE4 is hands down the easiest one to get into and certainly has the best documentation and community focus (though Unity is real close). Excited to do something more serious with it moving forward.

Top Bottom