• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 4 Thread

Bollocks

Thanks. I was thinking about whether I should use Blueprint or C++.. I'm a programmer and I've done some stuff in C++ (written a small game in SFML) but most of the tutorials seem to be about Blueprint.

Yeah, I'm the same kind of guy but those videos really do help a lot because Blueprints and C++ code go hand in hand (in fact you can use both on the same object if you want.). After all you're calling C++ code with blueprints.
If you want to know the C++ implementation behind a blueprint function just look at the function name e.g. "Add Movement Input" in your code there's a corresponding function called "AddMovementInput" voila.

Even if the tutorials are purely blueprint based, you get a good feel how the engine works and how certain things are done within the engine.

Erebus

The Elemental demo didn't seem to take much of a hit going from 1080p to 4k

1080p: Min 42 Avg 52 Max 62 in 1080p.

2160p: Min 25 Avg 42 Max 56

(780 ti + i7 4770k)

I wonder what the deal is.
Holy fuck at those frame rates. What hardware was the first shown footage of the Elemental demo running on?

luca_29_bg

Just a merge of the projects Realistic Rendering and the new flying saucer project, so you can't unless someone makes a package with that.

I ask this because you can fly and move freely with this in the room, but in the original stand alone rendering demo you can't. :(

rashbeep

Banned
Do you need anything special to play these?

Nope just extract and run the executables, and you might need to change the gameusersettings.ini to match whatever resolution you need found at this path Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor. Both Elemental and Cave Effects run pretty bad on my 670 (means I should upgrade) but they look pretty great. Elemental doesn't look as good as before though :(

I ask this because you can fly and move freely with this in the room, but in the original stand alone rendering demo you can't. :(

There is also a flying saucer project included in the Unreal Engine, someone just extracted it from that project and put it in the Realistic Rendering one.

you mean it's available to download ?

Ok, when you buy the Unreal Engine you get all kinds of templates and assets with it that you can use for your projects.

Stuff like a first person template, third person, rolling ball and flying saucer template. So you have something that you control and a very basic level to toy around with.

Then you have the Epic projects, Elemental Demo, Cave effects, Realistic Rendering etc.

Someone used the flying saucer template and put it in the Realistic Rendering demo. But you need to use Unreal Engine to do so.

luca_29_bg

ok i understand now, thanks! Damn Epic, I love so much realistic house in games, and i like so much this kind of stuff and demo, and i really would love to move freely in that room to watch anything very close. I suppose that demo is physically based rendering right ?

That's my point, it had SVOGI and it run on slightly lesser hardware. Those fps posted above are lower than what I thought they would be with that hardware.

Indeed. I run 2 Titans that are highly OC'd and while I never dropped under 60fps, it was sad to see the demo look so bad. I dunno what res that demo was complied to run at but it looked pretty lackluster. Sad to see it was the 'PS4' version of the demo and not the first unveil demo.

I suppose if I want to run it at 4K or whatever I would need to get the Unreal Engine 4, no?

Indeed. I run 2 Titans that are highly OC'd and while I never dropped under 60fps, it was sad to see the demo look so bad. I dunno what res that demo was complied to run at but it looked pretty lackluster. Sad to see it was the 'PS4' version of the demo and not the first unveil demo.

I suppose if I want to run it at 4K or whatever I would need to get the Unreal Engine 4, no?

You can use console commands if it is a development build. With ~.

Set res x y should do that.

Yeah, I'm the same kind of guy but those videos really do help a lot because Blueprints and C++ code go hand in hand (in fact you can use both on the same object if you want.). After all you're calling C++ code with blueprints.
If you want to know the C++ implementation behind a blueprint function just look at the function name e.g. "Add Movement Input" in your code there's a corresponding function called "AddMovementInput" voila.

Even if the tutorials are purely blueprint based, you get a good feel how the engine works and how certain things are done within the engine.

Ah, that's cool. Reading the blueprint "code" is actually not very hard I've found. I've been going through the TappyChicken example project (since I want to start out with a 2D game) and it looks pretty manageable.

Erebus

My poor old GTX 460 is crying.
FwI.png

I set the resolution to 1920x1080 but the screencaps seem to be 1600x900. What gives?

Kevin

Wanted to share some impressions. Tried all of the available demos thus far on my aging GTX 590. Most of them appeared to stay slightly over the 30 frames make with the exception being the Elemental demo which saw frames in the 15-25 it seemed.

I was most impressed with the Elemental demo of course. Can't wait to see some full games with visuals like that. While none of the UE4 demos have blown me away yet, they still do look pretty nice.

MarkV

Wanted to share some impressions. Tried all of the available demos thus far on my aging GTX 590. Most of them appeared to stay slightly over the 30 frames make with the exception being the Elemental demo which saw frames in the 15-25 it seemed.

I was most impressed with the Elemental demo of course. Can't wait to see some full games with visuals like that. While none of the UE4 demos have blown me away yet, they still do look pretty nice.

Let's hope they'll release the Infiltrator demo, that will probably blow you away :)

Lucius86

Banned
Thanks to everyone who has uploaded the demos for everyone to try out. I'm downloading now.

If I had more spare time, I would be on the UE4 gravy train - I loved making UT99 levels back in the day.

Is there no way in the code to re-enable GI?

Thanks to everyone who has uploaded the demos for everyone to try out. I'm downloading now.

If I had more spare time, I would be on the UE4 gravy train - I loved making UT99 levels back in the day.

Is there no way in the code to re-enable GI?

Yeah you can, it is not finished yet though I think. And it will arrive in the next update.

Lucius86

Banned
Yeah you can, it is not finished yet though I think. And it will arrive in the next update.

Good news. Even if the AAA dev studios don't include it in their finished games, smaller projects that release their work for free (who likely won't have the resources to make AAA assets) will be able to utilise the technology, therefore leading to better results for them to compete with.

Polypunk

Neo Member
Good news. Even if the AAA dev studios don't include it in their finished games, smaller projects that release their work for free (who likely won't have the resources to make AAA assets) will be able to utilise the technology, therefore leading to better results for them to compete with.

Let me clear a few things up. SVOGI has been removed. They have light propagation volumes, the same GI as CryEngine 3. Light propagation volumes work well for stuff that's completely outside, or things with large windows with lots of light coming from the outside. Light propagation volumes are being used with their Fortnite title and Fable Legends. Light propagation volumes isn't fully integrated with the engine, they want switching between baked lightmass and LPV to be completely seamless, so once they get to that point, it'll be officially released with the editor. Still, it's pretty easy to turn on LPV, but it's considered to be a beta feature.

From Thursday's live twitch, questions I asked and devs answered:

4.2 in 7 days!

They are uploading the lionhead Global Illumination provided in UE4 ! They got the code from Lionhead and they put it for Elemental Demo.

They told me that the Elemental Demo will compile and work for PS4.

They are trying to support PS Vita too.

Thye will release the infiltrator demo too.

Apex 2014 will be in 4.2 .

R_Deckard

4.2 in 7 days!

They are uploading the lionhead Global Illumination provided in UE4 ! They got the code from Lionhead and they put it for Elemental Demo.

They told me that the Eeemental Demo will compile and work for PS4.

Great stuff, I look forward to getting back into some coding..has been a few years for games for me (too much VB/Java and SQL of late..gotta pay the bills!!).

So I can get the full engine with fool toolset for $19 and then only renew when I am ready with something or want the latest Updates (which ever comes first Lol)?

Great stuff, I look forward to getting back into some coding..has been a few years for games for me (too much VB/Java and SQL of late..gotta pay the bills!!).

So I can get the full engine with fool toolset for $19 and then only renew when I am ready with something or want the latest Updates (which ever comes first Lol)?

You can still work with the Engine even after cancelling your subscription (the engine won't receive the new updates though) and can renew subscription to get the latest builds and updates. Keep in mind when you try to release a game, you have to have an active subscription. Also the engine is getting updates and plugins spport almost each week.

BTW, anyone got a registration from Sony from here: https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/playstation-4-and-xbox-one-now-supported

and after that the code of PS4 in order to package for it, then he can compile any project to compile on PS4? I want to know and someone trying it on PS4. I mean the demos you are downloading are packaged and compield from the editor and run as standalone game or video for windows, now you can do the same for Linux platform, PS4, and XBone.

R_Deckard

You can still work with the Engine even after cancelling your subscription (the engine won't receive the new updates though) and can renew subscription to get the latest builds and updates. Keep in mind when you try to release a game, you have to have an active subscription. Also the engine is getting updates and plugins spport almost each week.

BTW, anyone got a registration from Sony from here: https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/playstation-4-and-xbox-one-now-supported

Then the code of PS4 in order to package for it, then he can compile any project to compile on PS4? I want to know and someone trying it on PS4. I mean the demos you are downloading are packaged and compield from the editor and run as standalone game or video for windows, now you can do the same for linix platform, PS4, and XBone.

Cool man thanks alot...that looks great if you can compile for PS4/Xbone within it that would be superb!

4.2 in 7 days!

They told me that the Elemental Demo will compile and work for PS4.

I just unsubscribed yesterday. Worst timing in the history of timing.

Top Bottom