• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 5 revealed! Real-Time Prototype Gameplay Demo Running On PS5

mango drank

A hidden loading "tunnel" in a tech demo? Really? That shit was straight out of Jedi Fallen Order, animations and all.
Yeah, those tunnels are awful. I hated them in FF7:R. I'd honestly rather have a loading screen than have to sit there and feel like I'm the one doing the loading myself, manually. Feels like I'm hand-cranking a car from 100 years ago.

This makes me think what if a game were able to pull off a pixar-esque look that rivals the movies. we're certainly already there in geometry but the question is lighting
Pixar should make some tech demos for next gen, where they recreate a few scenes from some of their past movies (like from 10+ years ago), completely in real-time. At this point, as a very low bar, the original Toy Story should finally be doable in real-time. :messenger_sunglasses:

GamesAreFun

Banned
So a dedicated team of artists & developers spent many months on a few minutes of footage, and it only runs at 30fps and a low resolution?

This is a complete waste of time; it's a game engine, show 60fps footage or don't bother.

Looks amazing, but my heart sank at 3:35.

A hidden loading "tunnel" in a tech demo? Really? That shit was straight out of Jedi Fallen Order, animations and all. It's not like they were switching between massive areas either, they were fairly small areas also much like Jedi.

I was hoping we would be done with that kind of shit with the next set of engines that make better use of SSDs.

I think that was to demonstrate the audio tech not to loading anything.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

So a dedicated team of artists & developers spent many months on a few minutes of footage, and it only runs at 30fps and a low resolution?

This is a complete waste of time; it's a game engine, show 60fps footage or don't bother.

It's a tech demo that showcases what things can do. It could run at 5 fps and 240p and it would reach its goal of why it was created.

Last edited:

HAL-01

Yeah, those tunnels are awful. I hated them in FF7:R. I'd honestly rather have a loading screen than have to sit there and feel like I'm the one doing the loading myself, manually. Feels like I'm hand-cranking a car from 100 years ago.

Pixar should make some tech demos for next gen, where they recreate a few scenes from some of their past movies (like from 10+ years ago), completely in real-time. At this point, as a very low bar, the original Toy Story should finally be doable in real-time. :messenger_sunglasses:
Kingdom Hearts 3 Toy Story already looked better in certain aspects, give me Monsters Inc with real time fur shading Pixar

RayHell

Thats because they haven't released NVME drives with this performance level yet.
Well there's more to it than just SSD speed.
Here's the list of thing PC doesn't have yet to achieve PS5 IO performance
  • 5.5GB/s Read/write speed (9GB/s with compression, remember Pcie 4.0 max speed is 7GB/s)
  • Hardware data compression (can be done on CPU but will request a lot of processing power)
  • 12 channel instead of 4 to speed random access
  • GPU cache scrubbing
  • All other custom coprocessor that leverage CPU cycle. (dedicated DMA controller, SSD IO, memory mapping)

For PC to be able to reach this kind of performance, Graphic Card will need to have an SSD attached to it. (Which they might)

Last edited:
That's exactly what it is, in engine cutscene that's "playable" the same as most tech demos
No, it's interactive at some point in the video where the Unreal guys speak.

But I don't expect it to ship.... I also don't think that what we see in there is far fetched to expect next-gen anyway. I mean, it's not like they claimed it ran native 4K at 60fps and used only half the GPU.

I would have preferred a demo in a dense forest (a la Uncharted 4).

93xfan

Banned
I know HZD2 won't be using UE5 (at least I assume not) but still just the talk of draw distances and elimination of distracting LOD pop-in next gen gets me very antsy in my pantsy. I always notice the little details like a bush popping up 10 feet in front of me in an otherwise gorgeous game. HZD is gorgeous but definitely has LOD pop in all over the place, as most games this gen do of that scale. Can't wait to see the leap in this area

Bring On Da Next Gen

They went through a scripted path. Even the flying was scripted. I’m hyped, but also cautious as I don’t really believe there loading and pop in will be fully eliminated in open world games.

But for games like Gears and Uncharted I think we will see both of those things disappear.

Kenpachii

• 5.5GB/s Read/write speed (9GB/s with compression, remember Pcie 4.0 max speed is 7GB/s)
  • Hardware data compression (can be done on CPU but will request a lot of processing power)
  • GPU cache scrubbing
  • All other custom coprocessor that leverage CPU cycle. (dedicated DMA controller, SSD IO, memory mapping)

For PC to be able to reach this kind of performance, Graphic Card will need to have an SSD attached to it. (Which they might)

Should google DDR4 mate.

This will run perfectly fine on PC mate, and on xbox and on even ipads and mobiles sooner rather then later on top of it. should probably watch the sweeny interview after the demo.

I think some of you guys get a bit lost on what is really going on at this point.

Last edited:

rsouzadk

• GPU cache scrubbing

PCIe 4 is not limited to 7GB/s.

Last edited:

mango drank

Kingdom Hearts 3 Toy Story already looked better in certain aspects, give me Monsters Inc with real time fur shading Pixar
Checked it out on YT, and yeah, it looks pretty solid, but could be a lot better with GI / bounce light, more detail, better ambient occlusion, etc.

I wonder if seeing these demos is making some filmmakers think about making semi-interactive movies ... some kind of weird hybrid between epic film and game. Kind of like Quantic Dreams games, but more on rails. Not sure what I'm describing, really, and it doesn't sound that appealing as a gamer, lol. But if I were a filmmaker seeing this stuff, my interest would definitely be piqued.

Should google DDR4 mate.

This will run perfectly fine on PC mate, and on xbox and on even ipads and mobiles sooner rather then later on top of it. should probably watch the sweeny interview after the demo.

I think some of you guys get a bit lost on what is really going on at this point.
That's why I install DDR4 in my M.2 slot. Best of both worlds.

HAL-01

Checked it out on YT, and yeah, it looks pretty solid, but could be a lot better with GI / bounce light, more detail, better ambient occlusion, etc.

I wonder if seeing these demos is making some filmmakers think about making semi-interactive movies ... some kind of weird hybrid between epic film and game. Kind of like Quantic Dreams games, but more on rails. Not sure what I'm describing, really, and it doesn't sound that appealing as a gamer, lol. But if I were a filmmaker seeing this stuff, my interest would definitely be piqued.
oh filmmakers are gonna have a field day with this tech combined with VR for immersive narrative experiences

This is definitely some smart Sony marketing, whilst Xbox are trying to be “transparent” and showing off their superior console with weak af graphical showcases, sony stays silent and snags marketing on this tech demo.

Even if it isn’t gameplay a lot of people are gonna consider it as realistic possible graphics on ps5 thus negating the SX technical lead because they wanna make a show with a bunch of current gen looking games. Very, very well played by Sony.

oldergamer

• GPU cache scrubbing

Riiight, but i was replying to a quote about SSD speed.

NXGamer

SSD is not going to make the graphics better. It still has to be rendered. It's not an add-on to the GPU.
It is, the GPU is being fed by the SSD ( more importainly the entire Southbridge replacement and coherency engines, DMA etc), this if the GPU can render enough within the Frustum, then it can use more of that Vram to hold that, rather than waste 40-60% of it "just in case".
This is improving your "slowest part", a GPU is more that just the triangles or the pixels. Without SSD this demo would need one of the 2:-

1: Scaled back on fidelity to accomodate the Vram size limit/lack of pipe feed.
2: More Vram or other fast enough replacement of that Pipe Feed

Last edited:

Not sure where to put it 'cuz I don't feel like making a dedicated thread and I sure as shit ain't going to the Next-Gen Speculation thread ever again xD. But this should be at least somewhat pertinent to what Epic showed today.

Watching through it right now; he's got a couple figures wrong (XSX GPU clock is 1825 MHz not 1835 MHz for example), but interesting speculation and analysis on what they've got in there so far. Also should help clarify a few things about how certain aspects of systems perform.

Overall seems to acknowledge the systems were designed at the onset for tackling very specific problems in their own way but neither is heads-and-shoulders above the other. To me I'd say the PS5 seems to be easier to extract the most performance out of early on, but it sounds like XSX will have more room for devs to get creative with their own approaches to certain challenges as next-gen progresses (provided they put in the effort to do so).

One system seems focused more on pushing a bigger amount of raw data through the system (PS5) while the other seems focused on pushing for more real-time calculations on an admittedly still impressive amount of raw data in its own right (XSX). He illustrates some of that in the RT examples in the vid (which I also illustrated a couple months ago).

Bo_Hazem

Banned
More of the UE5 demo gameplay screenshots running in real-time on PS5, thanks to Radical_3d Radical_3d

1920x-1

1920x-1

1920x-1

1920x-1

1920x-1

1920x-1

1920x-1

1920x-1

1920x-1

1920x-1

1920x-1

Source:

Last edited:

oldergamer

"Unreal Engine 5 will be available in preview in early 2021, and in full release late in 2021, supporting next-generation consoles, current-generation consoles, PC, Mac, iOS, and Android. "

Saw this on the epic site. So looks like nobody will have this tech until early 2021.

bohrdom

Banned
SSD is not going to make the graphics better. It still has to be rendered. It's not an add-on to the GPU.

You're right, a PC can definitely run this. However I think it's a little bit reductive to say the SSD is not going to make the graphics better. In terms of computation, yes it won't help but it definitely helps with bandwidth. As you were saying earlier, GPUs are constrained by bandwidth.

VFXVeteran

Banned
It is, the GPU is being fed by the SSD, this if the GPU can render enough within the Frustum, then it can use more of that Vram to hold that, rather than waste 40-60% of it "just in case".
This is improving yours slowest part, a GPU is more that just the triangles or the pixels. Without SSD this demo would need one of the 2:-

1: Scaled back on fidelity to accomodate the Vram size limit/lack of pipe feed.
2: More Vram or other fast enough replacement of that Pipe Feed

And I say it's not. The GPU isn't directly indexing texture lookups from virtual RAM that's represented in the SSD. It's too slow. The GPU is indexing texture lookups from the VRAM. The SSD is just a fast cache for the VRAM. Data is flowing to the VRAM and then GPU reads from there - not directly from the SSD. PC has 2 pools of RAM - CPU and GPU. That can be any configuration. My own personal PC has 64G of RAM and then my 2080Ti has 11G of VRAM. I bet anything I can run that demo with my HDD-equipped PC.

Are stating that the PC can't run this demo? I say it can run this demo and run it better (4k/60FPS). I'd love to know how much RAM this demo costs and I wish they would release it to the PC owners so they can play with it. Probably one day..

Ballthyrm

What the actual fuck? The whole demo showed a breakthrough in 3D/Art pipeline.

I'm not convinced, let's remember that they have an army of Devs to support Fortnite.

There is a big difference between accessibility and usability.
I believe Tim Sweeney when he say that you can scan stuff and put it in game, but that doesn't make the art any better.
I don't want to see the same photogrammetry based assets everywhere.

Remember also that everything that can't be scanned will still have to be modeled and animated.
The state of the art motion capture Hollywood is using still have armies of animators cleaning that stuff up.

All i hear is a programmer saying how powerful his toolkit is and not how much more work is going to be to make all that stuff to a higher quality.
Maybe it's faster to do stuff, sure, but if the amount of work is higher, it has to balance out.

That's why we don't see that many PBR / HDR games to the level of quality these technologies can deliver.
Because to do it right you have to invest a lot of work into it.

thelastword

Banned
PS5 bringing in the goods......What is it? An extremely fast rendering/streaming solution that takes full advantage of the fastest SSD tech available......Cue what Tim Sweeny said about PS5's SSD.....Real enhancements for next gen, is what we wanted to see, and it's running right there on PS5.

It's only one method, I'm looking to be blown away by first party software much more than this tbh......UE5 is good, but It wont touch PD, Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Guerilla etc.....If this is UE5, prepared to have your jaws on the floor by first party stuff...….Another great thing about this is that it looks like a game and playable, very impressive assets and character model in realtime/gameplay, not some smoke and mirrors movie demo at 24fps....

mango drank

oh filmmakers are gonna have a field day with this tech combined with VR for immersive narrative experiences
Damn, completely forgot about VR, that's going to be sick in general (PSVR2). Of course, unfortunately it won't look as good as this demo, since the hardware will have to render two separate views, but should still be a big leap over current gen VR, and PSVR1 obvi.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

You're just setting yourself up for major disappointment.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I watched it on 360p, 1080p, and 4k respectively. Don't comment on it before watching it on 4k. Even on a 1080p monitor, it is awesome stuff. Last part shows Ssd's true power i guess.

Crying with my rx 580 right now :( I was planning a talk about her 4gb ram, but I postpone it for now. Not the right time.

rsouzadk

You're right it's 8GB/s. To be sure, We're talking about SSD speed here not bus speed.

No, PCIe 4 is not limited by 8GB/s, a X4 PCIe 4 is limited to 8GB/s. Now, if you are talking about ssds, you can bypass that 5.5GB/s with raid 0 or some sort of. Besides that new ssds will come soon enough.

Last edited:
I wonder if and when this is going to ripple through the industry,

Unreal 5 tech seems such a quantum leap that AAA developers with their proprietary in-house engines like Bethesda and CD Projekt RED might be forced to play catch up, simply because they can't afford this big a discrepancy between the new AAA normal UE5 will eventually bring about and what their own engines can output.

Will this start an arms race, a Gold Rush, everybody trying to code their own version of Nanite, trying to virtualize geometry and textures because it delivers unprecedented detail and saves time and hassle? And if they fail, will the engine landscape have changed considerably by the end of next-gem, most proprietary engines gone, and just a few universal big guns like Unreal and CryEngine reigning supreme?

Exciting times!

"PC can easily run this, it just chooses not to" seems to be the running argument. What hardware will it take for the PC to be capable of this? If it's as easy as some people make out why aren't there PC games that look like this?
Was that Tech demo or a game being released to the public one day? I'm confused now?

Top Bottom