• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 5 revealed! Real-Time Prototype Gameplay Demo Running On PS5

I honestly dont understand why everyone is praising the ps5 or this is next gen stuff when this was just a tech demo. It had nothing to do with the ps5 or xbox or pc, it was just for epic to showcase their new engine.

Also alot of people seem to be down on MS for what they showed off. They meant to showcase 3rd party software not an engine which will be on every platform.

In fairness, a lot of it is't just what was shown, but what Tim Sweeney said, basically detailing how these ultra fast SSDs in next-gen consoles will help make games look better (no pop-in in the demo, draw distance, 8k assets, etc).

This is the first REAL glimpse at anything truly next-gen and is the best looking thing we have seen so far, it is running on PS5 which is cool too because we haven't seen anything run on PS5 other than the Godfall clips.

Also, a lot of people wanted vindication over the PS5 SSD Superiority (which exists, though to what extent in actual usage remains to be seen), and the SSD talk from Epic provided that in some ways.

The demo looks really good, imo. Can't wait to see some actual games.

Last edited:

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Why 2GB? Even uncompressed I only calculate around 1gb? And there's no way you're going to store this uncompressed, no more than we do uncompressed textures in games.

it was just an estimation based on file sizes

but

yeah i guess zbrush saves like prior states too which i didn't take into account

how far down could you reasonably compress a 33m poly model with textures?

i'm just trying to see at what point the game package size becomes a large concern with unique assets as I was about to install Zbrush just to play around with it as I was dragging my feet with Blender and when that news dropped i was like !!! an amateur's dream! but then size constraints started to become a worry.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
inG1I9g.gif
9L0uAB7.gif
ddSmg9i.gif

JordanN

Banned
it was just an estimation based on file sizes

but

yeah i guess zbrush saves like prior states too which i didn't take into account

how far down could you reasonably compress a 33m poly model with textures?
Developers since the PS3/360 would store their textures using the RGB channels.

So something like this:

That's far more optimized than trying to store a 32-bit 8K texture that is considered "cinematic".

There's also procedural elements to take into account. Basically, you can use a bit of math to simulate a bitmap image.

Last edited:

Xplainin

Banned
It's a tech demo, and one running at half 4k resolution and 30 FPS.
Please stop saying that its only possible with the PS5 SSD, thats just not true.
I mean, you are basically saying the PS5 SSD is only going to be able to manage 1440/30 games on UE5.
This is just a little tech demo by Epic to promote their new engine, and Sony paid some money to Epic for them to use the PS5 for it.

JordanN

Banned
To all the people saying that this is an tech demo and games will never look like this. May I suggest taking a look at the
UE4 Tech Demo for PS4

I would say we have certainly surpassed this with God of War, Uncharted 4, TLOU2...

The PS4 version was the shit version of the demo.

They had the same demo running on PC but it wasn't gimped.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I honestly dont understand why everyone is praising the ps5 or this is next gen stuff when this was just a tech demo. It had nothing to do with the ps5 or xbox or pc, it was just for epic to showcase their new engine.

Also alot of people seem to be down on MS for what they showed off. They meant to showcase 3rd party software not an engine which will be on every platform.
Because it's running on a PS5 in real time, so it gives a decent impression as to the potential of next-gen. More than trailers anyway. Not as underwhelming as "in engine" trailers. Not as good as actual "in game" gameplay, but it's something. A decent middle ground to tide everyone over until the games are ready to be shown in full.

onQ123

Angry Joe brought up a good point in his video, How are they going to fit all this data on a system uncompressed. Lossless. Call of Duty+Warzone is already nearly 200gb and nowhere near the fidelity or scope of something like this.

Space will be saved by not having to stuff the game with multiple models for better seek times .

longdi

Banned
Is this real realtime or ND realtime(aka 1fps)?
Coz it looks way better than UE5 gal, no sharp edges!

They specifically stated it was in-engine. In the UE4 4.25 update they end the highlights article with a paragraph on ray tracing, stating:

Then in line with previous paragraphs followed by images demonstrating each feature, they show a gallery of what appears to be RT showcase images, including Hellblade II...
Unreal+Engine%2Fblog%2Funreal-engine-4-25-released%2FSenua_ray-tracing_1920-1920x1080-22bde4e7926615faafbf57a10cc93d6d9781aaff.jpg

I feel like the Xbox girl is sexier.

00de49461bb7f2b339407dc6358255a0db6002e3.gifv

Dunno, HB girl acting like she's on some really bad drugs right there. And does she have a nice booty like the UE5 girl? Because that's the really important thing here ;)

TBH HB girl blows away UE5 girl in terms of facial details, textures and facial movements seeing this again, but UE5 girl got the spotlight ATM. HB girl gotta hold her turn for later.

She'd fuck you up, bro

And then sacrifice him to the altar for Gaea.

...but not before a MK-style decapitation. She looks like she's about that life.

Man, the Scorn XSX in-engine trailer was something else. Gave me chills.
FVzRtq5.jpg

Yeah, as a big fan of Giger's aesthetic and the Alien movies in particular, I'm really hoping this game channels the vibe from those really strongly but doing its own unique stuff too.

Wouldn't mind if they got Ridley Scott involved in some way too, but he's probably force David as the MC somehow and try replacing everything with Engineers (with David head swaps).

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
The exact wording the devs used is:
Game and console in development; in-engine footage representative of expected Xbox Series X visual quality
That would probably fall under the latter if I was going to choose 1 of your 2 options. If the UE5 demo was native 4K or using Quality DLSS 2.0, the jaggies wouldn't be so bad. The demo would take a nice step up in quality with RT enabled, but it's not possible given the dynamic resolution, mostly 1440p/30fps performance on this console. Looks amazing, nonetheless. The sequence coming out of the cave and flying is simply breathtaking. Love it. Scorn looks awesome, too. Not in the same inspiring manner. More in the vein of scary like Dante's Inferno(not game) art.

Last edited:

That HB2 "in engine" cinematic isn't something that's playable though it's an in engine cinematic it's nowhere close to what gameplay will look like, in engine cinematics are always deceptive and all companies use them and they shouldn't. The UE5 demo was actually playable and captured directly from the dev kit.

Remember when Phil Spencer said this was Forza running on Xbox one? the real game looked nowhere near as good starting with the 3D crowds being turned into cardboard cutouts among other things.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
By the way, the claim Epic made that you "no longer need normal maps" is strange.

They never went away in film/vfx production. They're actually used to support the main assets.

Here's a quick example I whipped up showing they're not useless.
o6LeWkk.jpg

Edit: Fixed a mistake.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
By the way, the claim Epic made that you "no longer need normal maps" is strange.

They never went away in film/vfx production. They're actually used to support the main assets.

t9XYlCV.jpg
I believe they said you don’t need to use it.
Not that it is useless.
You probably can reach the same result without it.

MetalAlien

Banned
Dunno, HB girl acting like she's on some really bad drugs right there. And does she have a nice booty like the UE5 girl? Because that's the really important thing here ;)

TBH HB girl blows away UE5 girl in terms of facial details, textures and facial movements seeing this again, but UE5 girl got the spotlight ATM. HB girl gotta hold her turn for later.
I'd lick the war paint off of Senua's face assuming it's not bat guano of course.

It's a tech demo, and one running at half 4k resolution and 30 FPS.
Please stop saying that its only possible with the PS5 SSD, thats just not true.
I mean, you are basically saying the PS5 SSD is only going to be able to manage 1440/30 games on UE5.
This is just a little tech demo by Epic to promote their new engine, and Sony paid some money to Epic for them to use the PS5 for it.

The Smoke will clear and reality will set in shortly.

Last edited:
I have to say the amount of anger coming from some xbox only fans today on twitter has been crazy, they were the ones saying the stuff MS showed last week was truly next gen looking and now that Epic has shown some of the real potential of what next gen could look like but chose the PS5 to demonstrate it with they are livid. They are attacking the demo with comments like "well it was 1440p and 30fps" as if it would have been any better on the XSX other than maybe a slightly higher resolution.

Anyone who believes every XSX game or even the majority of it's games will be native 4K and 60fps is living in fantasy land. If you want games to look like they did this gen with very few improvements maybe you'd come close to reaching that but a real next gen game is not going to look anywhere as good as it potentially could if you are making native 4K and 60fps the top priority.

Yes I know 60fps feels better but it's not needed for most games and console players shouldn't feel the need to compete with PC players and their 120fps bragging, the overwhelming majority of the ones that do hit that framerate do it by lowering graphical settings and taking the res down to either 1080p or 1440p.

Last edited:
very impressive, this is next gen

but its a brute force demo, the assets are insane

it will be interesting using this in a more efficient way 1080p upscale to 4k, less expensive assets, that sort of things, it can probably look very similar at higher resolution and framerate

very impresive the work of epic here, and good to know PS5 can handle this insane detail

Last edited:
This looks impressive. But, and I know this will sound controversial, but it doesn't look like it massively obliterates current gen visuals to me. That's the feeling I get with gens 8 and 9. The days of massive visual improvements made each generation like going from PS1 to PS2 will probably never be reached again. Instead, next gen seems to be built on a lot of subtle improvements that add up to create an overall leap over current gen, but not one that isn't immediately noticeable right away. Very similar to current gen vs seventh generation, except here its even more of the case.

I mean don't get me wrong, Ray Tracing and SSD speeds will certainly be very nice improvements, but I think many next gen games will look like a very polished evolution of current gen games, as opposed to a revolution. It could just be that I've never obsessed over graphics, so this doesn't look all much of a leap to me, and I understand that graphics will always have room for improvement, but I still feel the same as I did at the beginning of this generation. Graphical leaps are seemingly getting smaller and smaller with each new console.
I thoughtbthe same with the youtube vid. But look at the direct feed screens. It is a quantum leap. We need direct feed high quality footage

Shmunter

Angry Joe brought up a good point in his video, How are they going to fit all this data on a system uncompressed. Lossless. Call of Duty+Warzone is already nearly 200gb and nowhere near the fidelity or scope of something like this.
It will be compressed. It just won’t be simplified like it’s done to today’s models.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

I can't help if if a mod is also a Sony fanboy and wants to shut me up. "Think" I'm an insider? I guess you can talk to the mods here about them giving me what I "think" my title should be.

Banning won't happen on here though FYI.
So, just so that we're on the same page.

I say the word 'x-bot' and I get banned for a week, but this guy here calls a mod a sony fanboy with a personal mean streak and that's ok?

Damn, GAF.

sneas78

Banned
I have to say the amount of anger coming from some xbox only fans today on twitter has been crazy, they were the ones saying the stuff MS showed last week was truly next gen looking and now that Epic has shown some of the real potential of what next gen could look like but chose the PS5 to demonstrate it with do it they are livid. They are attacking the demo with comments like "well it was 1440p and 30fps" as if it would have been any better on the XSX other than maybe a slightly higher resolution.

Anyone who believes every XSX game or even the majority of it's games will be native 4K and 60fps is living in fantasy land. If you want games to look like they did this gen with very few improvements maybe you'd come close to reaching that but a real next gen game is not going to look anywhere as good as it potentially could if you are making native 4K and 60fps the top priority.

Yes I know 60fps feels better but it's not needed for most games and console players shouldn't feel the need to compete with PC players and their 120fps bragging, the overwhelming majority of the ones that do hit that framerate do it by lowering graphical settings and taking the res down to either 1080p or 1440p.
What? I want to see receipts ..

o6LeWkk.jpg

Edit: Fixed a mistake.

consider that normal maps for things like the statues are made from very high polycounts models if you can use those models directly you dont need to bake maps, but that is assuming it wont cause other problems and even then it still make sense to use normal maps specially for things like noise or certain patterns than trying to sculpt them I expect devs to still use normal maps specially because any model you make that is not using insane amount of triangles can save performance, this demo shows you can use high poly models for everything but it doesn't mean you should

Top Bottom