• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Tournament 2007 becomes PS3 launch title

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
old?

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/news/story.php?sid=6141640

As part of its pre-E3 PlayStation 3 conference in May, Sony brought Epic Games co-founder Tim Sweeney on stage. Besides saying that Epic had already received a PS3 software development kit--which he said was "easy to program"--Sweeney also performed a tech demo of a shooter running on PS3 hardware.

The game on display appeared to be Unreal Tournament 2007, the flashy-looking, Unreal Engine 3-based successor to the popular PC shooter Unreal Tournament 2004. However, neither Sony nor Epic would confirm when--or even if--UT 2007 would arrive on the PS3.

Seven months later, the two companies have broken their silence. The January 2006 issue of PlayStation Magazine proudly proclaims that, yes UT 2007 is coming to the PlayStation 3. Inside, the magazine also reveals that the game will be a launch title for the PlayStation 3, which is tentatively slated for a Spring 2006 launch.

UT 2007 for PS3 is the second Epic shooter announced for next-generation consoles. However, the first, Gears of War for the Xbox 360, is slated for a general "2006" release date, meaning it could conceivably come out after the PS3 UT 2007.

Agent X

AltogetherAndrews said:
UT with the batarang? I'd like to see them try

UT with keyboard and mouse (just like the UT game released for the PS2 launch)? I'd like to see them try.

Wow, very impressive. Looks like the PS3 will have a AAA FPS available at launch that should outdo Call of Duty 2 and PD0. Too bad you'll have to use the PS3 controller to play it.

TheDuce22

Banned
I refuse to set up a keyboard and mouse in my living room. They need to just scrap whatever it is they have now and rip off MS. Not that it will matter if the console supports the keyboard and mouse. Anyone not using one will get owned.

PhoenixDark said:
Wow, very impressive. Looks like the PS3 will have a AAA FPS available at launch that should outdo Call of Duty 2 and PD0. Too bad you'll have to use the PS3 controller to play it.

Or just use a keyboard and mouse.

Niko

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
Stick it up your ass. No game pad is suitable for an FPS ever.

This supports KB&M.

UT2007 FTW!

You must have underdevelopped thumbs. Gamepads have never given me trouble in a well made FPS. In fact, I think they're more accurate in mimicing the movement of someone aiming a gun, rather than the really fast twitchiness of a mouse. Anyhow, in response to the topic at hand, I think Calidor sums it up really well.

DSN2K

perhaps they could have different settings say....

Control Pad= with semi-auto aim

KB&M = no auto aim.

it could even the playing field maybe.

LAMBO

AltogetherAndrews said:
UT with the batarang? I'd like to see them try

I didn't know the ps2 version supported KB/mouse, that's pretty cool.

fps with any gamepad sucks, it'll never be accurate enough for me. Also autoaim = gay. In a shooter, if the game is aiming for you, even a little, are you really shooting or are you just learning the autoaim quirks?

Will MS continue to run away from mouse/kb to make them seem less pc like? Or will they finally realize that their name alone is synonymous with PC, and all they are doing is making games harder to control.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
And in a single stroke, the PS3 launch automatically becomes more impressive than the Xbox 360's was.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
DSN2K said:
perhaps they could have different settings say....

Control Pad= with semi-auto aim

KB&M = no auto aim.

it could even the playing field maybe.

Keyboard users will still rape controller users.

Keyboard + mouse for life.

Chairman Yang said:
And in a single stroke, the PS3 launch automatically becomes more impressive than the Xbox 360's was.
QFT

And don't forget WarHawk and Lair, both of which have been mentioned by Sony as launch titles. Plus of course Tekken Tag and...MGS4? Kojima says it'll be done in 2006. O.O

Sony ain't playin

Chiggs

PhoenixDark said:
QFT
Plus of course Tekken Tag and...MGS4? Kojima says it'll be done in 2006. O.O

MGS4 done in 2006? Hmmm.... if that's true, Microsoft better have some killer apps on the way.

TheDuce22

Banned
I just hope Sony has enough foresight to ensure none of the FPS games on their console are compatable with the keyboard and mouse. Oh and :lol at the 360 hater circle jerk.

PhoenixDark said:
QFT

And don't forget WarHawk and Lair, both of which have been mentioned by Sony as launch titles. Plus of course Tekken Tag and...MGS4? Kojima says it'll be done in 2006. O.O

Sony ain't playin

If MGS4 comes out 2006, my head would just explode....

....and my crotch.

DaMan121

Hopefully youll be able to jump on PC servers as well... Since Im waiting for this game to upgrade my PC, might just get a PS3 and this instead :/

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"UT2007 on spring 2006? *scratches head*"
... US launch ? ;) (i'm not hinting anything, i have no idea!)

Awesome - hopefully Sony have a fantastic online system so that the game has nice and robust online play.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
TheDuce22 said:
I just hope Sony has enough foresight to ensure none of the FPS games on their console are compatable with the keyboard and mouse.

No. Keyboard and mouse needs to be compatible. I can't believe it's taking this long to support KB+M. Hell, Dreamcast supported them!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Chiggs said:
MGS4 done in 2006? Hmmm.... if that's true, Microsoft better have some killer apps on the way.

I think Holiday 2006 or early 07. I don't expect it at or near launch (This is assuming that Spring 06 launch really happens).

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
If they include keyboard and mouse support, it'd be nice if they found a way to detect which device it is and seperate the controller and kb/m people. A lot of people seems to have set ups which make it fine, but I have no desire to use a keyboard and mouse while lounging back on my couch. I'm quite happy getting my ass kicked online generally, I usually do, but I wouldn't be on an unlevel playing field.

Mooreberg

I just hope Sony has enough foresight to ensure none of the FPS games on their console are compatable with the keyboard and mouse.

I also hope GT5 doesn't work with a wheel and that VF5 doesn't work with an arcade stick. :lol

TheDuce22

Banned
No. Keyboard and mouse needs to be compatible. I can't believe it's taking this long to support KB+M.

Why should I be required to buy a keyboard and mouse then somehow find a way to use them comfortably. The idea is beyond horrible.

Mooreberg

TheDuce22 said:
Why should I be required to buy a keyboard and mouse then somehow find a way to use them comfortably. The idea is beyond horrible.

then use a controller and get your ass kicked

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
TheDuce22 said:

Well, your not required to buy the game

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
TheDuce22 said:

Then just use a controller? I can see people being concerned about playing online against KB&M users, which would unlevel the playing field. If KB&M is supported, they should create two servers so that one server is for controller users only and the other server is for KB&M. It'd probably cause a headache though if the game allows you to have guests playing on a single console.

Shompola

Banned
oatmeal said:
I'm feeling that UT 2007 will be PS3/PC exclusive. Does that sound about right? UT = PS3, GoW = 360.

Nope. I am pretty confident that it will be released on Xbox 360. EPIC would not gain anything by releasing it only on PS3.

Also what about mod community and shit? I thought you people wanted that crap? PC for the win? :)

Tech Nine

Banned
oatmeal said:
I'm feeling that UT 2007 will be PS3/PC exclusive. Does that sound about right? UT = PS3, GoW = 360.
On the 1up show about 2 weeks back,Mark Reign says thier doing UT2007 on all the consoles. Well,except rev.

Shompola said:
Nope. I am pretty confident that it will be released on Xbox 360. EPIC would not gain anything by releasing it only on PS3.

Also what about mod community and shit? I thought you people wanted that crap? PC for the win? :)

But, they're already releasing Gears of War in Spring. Would they really have two 360 titles in the ~generally same genre (shooter) come out at the same time? I know GOW is a 3rd person, kill.switch kind of shooter, so i suppose it's possible, but it looks unlikely.

Also, is this really a confirmation of spring? There's no chance in the world that UT2007 would be a launch title for Japan.

oatmeal said:

Yeah, that sounds about right Oatmeal.

I still think the PS3 is coming out in October or November, at least in the states. Japan will get it in the Spring, if Sony is really serious about it that is. So, the launch could potentially look like:

-UT2007
-WarHawk
-Lair
-Tekken Tag (ONLINE)
-I-8(?)

Early 2007 (at the latest):
-MGS4

PS3 will be a beast. I'm sorry, but that blows just about all launch lists out the water.

Mooreberg

sonycowboy said:
But, they're already releasing Gears of War in Spring. Would they really have two 360 titles in the ~generally same genre (shooter) come out at the same time? I know GOW is a 3rd person, kill.switch kind of shooter, so i suppose it's possible, but it looks unlikely.

Also, is this really a confirmation of spring? There's no chance in the world that UT2007 would be a launch title for Japan.

UT2004 came out during the spring but that's because it was delayed out of fall 2003.

Shompola said:

UT2K7 at 720p, max detail and locked at 60fps on my Sammy in the comfort of my living room with kb+mouse support would personally be enough to steer me from the PC version. Doesnt help that user modded content has gotten a lot less compelling the in last couple years IMO.

Haklong

PhoenixDark said:
Yeah, that sounds about right Oatmeal.

I still think the PS3 is coming out in October or November, at least in the states. Japan will get it in the Spring, if Sony is really serious about it that is. So, the launch could potentially look like:

-UT2007
-WarHawk
-Lair
-Tekken Tag (ONLINE)
-I-8(?)

Early 2007 (at the latest):
-MGS4

PS3 will be a beast. I'm sorry, but that blows just about all launch lists out the water.

You're joking right? UT2007 is Unreal with better graphics. I'm sure it will be great but it's one of those games that will always be better on the PC.

Tekken Tag online? Says who? And it's Tekken...

And as for Lair and I8, what have we seen for it? How do we know they will be so much better than anything that launched for the 360 and the Dreamcast? I think a lot of people tend to get ahead of themselves. Lets wait and see how some of the games play before we say it will be the best launch ever. Hopefully it won't suck so I can actually play it when I get one. My PS2 did nothing until Twisted Metal Black came out.

Wario64 said:
Inside, the magazine also reveals that the game will be a launch title for the PlayStation 3, which is tentatively slated for a Spring 2006 launch.

Actually, reading this, I'd say EPIC and Sony are saying it wil be a launch title and then the article is adding the "tentatively slated for a Spring 2006 launch", which is what Sony has said, but not all that confidently.

When in the hell did this become a top console franchise? UC and UC2 were both terrible. The PS3 launch will be wicked, but having an UT game is hardly something to go crazy over.

Top Bottom