• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Tournament 2007 becomes PS3 launch title

shpankey

not an idiot
while this is cool for the PS3, I'll just play it on my PC instead. to be honest though, this series has been steadily going downhill for some time now. the only ever really good one was Unreal Tournament on PC (the first one).

IJoel

oatmeal said:
Of the 6 titles you named, 3 are confirmed, Warhawk and Lair by Sony bigwigs. Heavenly Sword isn't unrealistic at all judging from how far that game seems to be in development, and the same can be said for I-8. The only fantasy of the games you named is MGS4. Your attempt at damage control has failed.

Have they mentioned release dates or timelines? Genuine question, as I have no idea.

As for UT2007, won't it be released in PC/Xbox360/PS3?

For the PS3 version, the question is whether there will be a solid online framework for it. I'm not sure I'd pick a console version of such a fast paced shooter, but if I decided to do so, the online support is key for this type of game.

Quake 4 (X360) online seems fun so far, btw. However, it's a far far cry from Q3A on the PC.

Mrbob said:
Weren't near final PS3 kits sent out to developers in December 2005?

360 launch titles had like one month with final kits. PS3 launch titles could have up to 6+ months on final kits (I think Spring 2006 will be for Japan release).

That's what I was saying earlier. I don't understand why people are expecting the PS3 launch line-up to be just as unpolished and rushed as 360's. I don't think it'll be anywhere close. With more than double the time with final dev kits, how can it be?

edit, with a Fall 06' U.S. launch, that's a potential 10-11 months with final kits compared to MS' 3 or whatever it was.

Mrbob

Sony just needs to get some universal setting down. Having one username shown across all games, being able to see what your friends are playing. This would be sufficient. Even games like Madden on Xbox Live you end up leaving Live servers for EA servers anyway. You just need to log into Xbox Live first.

Striek

IJoel said:
Have they mentioned release dates or timelines? Genuine question, as I have no idea.
Not anything specific other than being announced as being at launch by Kaz Hirai in the same issue of PSM we're discussing here. (link to thread about that)

As for I-8, Teddman told GAF last year that Insomniac were preparing a FPS for PS3 launch.

For Heavenly Sword, the developers have indicated over at B3D that they will be able to have the game ready in time if Sony wants it at launch (remember, development started in 2003 for HS).

Fight Night Round 3 on PS3 will be the shit and iit is definitely a candidate for launch :)

According to EA's Kudo Tsunoda, "The PS3 [version] is going to be a totally different game, just because the Xbox 360 launches before the PS3 launches. So it's going to be much more of a kinda Fight Night 4 PS3 version and Fight Night 3 Xbox 360 version."

:)

Speevy

Banned
Some of you are nuts.

But it's good news that UT2007 is coming to the PS3, which is about the only sane thing you can say in this thread.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Mama Smurf said:
If they include keyboard and mouse support, it'd be nice if they found a way to detect which device it is and seperate the controller and kb/m people. A lot of people seems to have set ups which make it fine, but I have no desire to use a keyboard and mouse while lounging back on my couch. I'm quite happy getting my ass kicked online generally, I usually do, but I wouldn't be on an unlevel playing field.

same here. lame.

Agent X

AltogetherAndrews said:
Even better. Good luck to anyone without a kb/m

Yeah, good luck indeed. USB keyboard and mouse can be obtained rather cheaply these days, if you're not already using one on your computer. Most serious gamers will get whatever gear they need to get the most out of their game.

TheDuce22 said:
I just hope Sony has enough foresight to ensure none of the FPS games on their console are compatable with the keyboard and mouse.

That's really sad that you're resorting to this kind of spin. Judging from what you've said so far, I don't believe for an instant that you'd be interested in buying a PlayStation 3 anyway, so why do you care what Sony chooses to do on their system?

jedimike

AltogetherAndrews said:
As a side note, does anyone honestly expect the PS3 launch to be worse than the 360 launch? The 360 may have a good number of games, but that's about it (the fact that the #1 game is also available on PC doesn't do much to help MS get rid of that "PC in a box" label the Xbox brand carries with it). Sony could launch with one or two internally developed games, and it'd likely poop all over the combined effort of the entire X360 launch line up.

First off, I don't think MS is trying to shed a "PC in a box" image. They seem to embrace it and claim that XNA will help developers make games that will work on both platforms. All these consoles are just stream-lined PC's.

More importantly, I think the PS3 line-up will have some great games. I expect a lot of hold-overs from EA, the new Splinter Cell, and hopefully most of the other games already listed. Better than 360? Who knows? Who cares? By the time PS3 does launch in the US, the 360 will be hitting another wave.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Agent X said:
Yeah, good luck indeed. USB keyboard and mouse can be obtained rather cheaply these days, if you're not already using one on your computer. Most serious gamers will get whatever gear they need to get the most out of their game.

That's really sad that you're resorting to this kind of spin. Judging from what you've said so far, I don't believe for an instant that you'd be interested in buying a PlayStation 3 anyway, so why do you care what Sony chooses to do on their system?

I'm buying one. And I like console games. I don't want to keep a K/M combo to play the big launch shooter. I don't know why it's spin to be dissapointed if that ends up being true.

TheDuce22

Banned

Try finding a comfortable setup for a keyboard and mouse in your living room then come back and talk to me. Believe me, if I werent interested in ps3 I wouldnt be posting in this thread.

Agent X

Musashi Wins! said:
I'm buying one. And I like console games. I don't want to keep a K/M combo to play the big launch shooter. I don't know why it's spin to be dissapointed if that ends up being true.

Well, as long as the joypad option is still present in the game, then it's not going to matter either way. People who prefer a joypad can use a joypad, and people who prefer keyboard and mouse can opt for those devices.

I just have an issue with someone actually wanting the hardware manufacturer to provide less options to the gamer. It's not merely saying "I don't like keyboard and mouse," it's going a step further and saying, "I don't like keyboard and mouse, so no one else should be able to use them." Although in this particular case, it seems more like "The system I prefer doesn't offer support for keyboard and mouse for first-person shooters, so I hope that the competing system also doesn't support keyboard and mouse."

Funny thing is that if the opposite situation were the case, and Sony prevented any developers from utilizing keyboard and mouse at all, then the detractors would have a field day with that. "Sony's forcing their ideas on the rest of the world! They're holding back developers from fully realizing the potential of their creative visions!"

argon

Who says it has to be either KB/mouse or dual analog? The controller isn't finished yet.

I bet Sony adds gyro before launch.

... and GAF implodes

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Agent Icebeezy said:
As a Nintendo fan, claiming a Factor 5 game as must have besides graphics is a no-no

Yeah, I've learned my lesson as well. It should make a good rental though

TheDuce22

Banned
Well, as long as the joypad option is still present in the game, then it's not going to matter either way. People who prefer a joypad can use a joypad, and people who prefer keyboard and mouse can opt for those devices.

It does matter because its an online FPS and it would require you to set up a keyboard and mouse to even compete. If they find a way to seperate the two I have no problem with it.

Agent X

TheDuce22 said:
Try finding a comfortable setup for a keyboard and mouse in your living room then come back and talk to me.

Get a small table, and set the keyboard and the mouse on the table when you want to play the game. It's not that difficult. Or maybe someone will market a lap-based keyboard and mouse, similar to what the Phantom people were demonstrating.

As I and others have said earlier, the joypad option will continue to be present. You can use the joypad if that's what you like, but let other people who prefer keyboard and mouse have the opportunity to use them.

Insertia

Sold. Although I"d love to get it for PC purely for UnrealED, I don't see myself spending the cash to upgrade my ram, cpu and graphics card.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Zen said:
Which 1up show number was it?

I believe its the one at the Xbox360 launch party (I think two or three shows back). Rein just says something along the lines that they want to encompass all consoles or something.

FightyF

Banned
Gamepad users will have the edge in movement, whereas K/M users will have the edge in aiming.

There'll be a tradeoff.

Oh and before someone says something ignorant akin to "movement only matters in slower paced games", play UC2 on the Xbox.

All these "K & M is the best" people are speaking out of their asses.

Deg

Banned
Fight for Freeform said:
Gamepad users will have the edge in movement, whereas K/M users will have the edge in aiming.

There'll be a tradeoff.

Oh and before someone says something ignorant akin to "movement only matters in slower paced games", play UC2 on the Xbox.

There is no trade off. Keyboard and mouse will destroy any pad player in every way.

Diablos

Fight for Freeform said:

There'll be a tradeoff.

I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree with you on that. I find the FPS much easier and natural on KB+M.

Ah stick a sock in it you crybabies!

It's not about what's "fair".

It's about what players are comfortable with.

I'm not comfortable playing with a cripple stick. I never have been, and I never will be. Is that "fair" to me as someone who has previously enjoyed FPS games?

Was Tekken 5 in the arcade not "fair" because I could get my ass beat by some clown using a dog bone?

No.

It's about what the player is comfortable with, and not some arbitrary declaration of what is "fair".

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Deg said:
There is no trade off. Keyboard and mouse will destroy any pad player in every way.

I agree, the Precision of a mouse is just much more exact than a regular game controller. Movement doesn't make a difference and straffing that is done with a keyboard is comparable to the movement that is done with a regular controller.

Yamaha98

I think what Kojima-san meant to say when asked if the MGS4 trailer was realtime, was that it'll (demo) will be ready in 2006. Obviously an E3 gameplay demo or save it for TGS. I seriously doubt, no, postivitely sure it will not be an PS3 launch title in 2006.

Also, I am also inclined to say that UT2007 will be a launch title for US release- not sure how they will do a spring JP when no actual gameplay has been shown yet. US will get the bread n butter of the launch titles.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Fight for Freeform said:

There'll be a tradeoff.

Nah, you're speaking out of your ass.

Tellaerin

shpankey said:
while this is cool for the PS3, I'll just play it on my PC instead. to be honest though, this series has been steadily going downhill for some time now. the only ever really good one was Unreal Tournament on PC (the first one).

To be 'steadily going downhill' would imply that UT2k4 is worse than 2k3 (it isn't, not by a long shot) or that UC 2 was worse than UC (which it wasn't.) 2k3 was definitely the low point in the series, and the original UT was the pinnacle, but Epic's definitely turned things around since. After reading about the direction they intend to take the gameplay in 2k7, I think this game's going to play like the true successor to the original UT, which is something a lot of us in the community have been waiting for.

Deg

Banned
Tellaerin said:
To be 'steadily going downhill' would imply that UT2k4 is worse than 2k3 (it isn't, not by a long shot) or that UC 2 was worse than UC (which it wasn't.) 2k3 was definitely the low point in the series, and the original UT was the pinnacle, but Epic's definitely turned things around since. After reading about the direction they intend to take the gameplay in 2k7, I think this game's going to play like the true successor to the original UT, which is something a lot of us in the community have been waiting for.

UT does have its work cut out as lots of other better or similar quality games exist. More importantly most of the innovation and direction in fps are being spear led by other games. UT 2k7 lends alot from other games for example. But at the end of the day consoles do need better fps. So a good UT console conversion is welcome also i have no doubt about the graphics :p

Personally i'm mostly interested in the BF2 style gameplay nowadays. BF2MC wasnt bad but its heavily overshadowed by the pc game. I'd like to see next gen consoles get a version that does justice to the technology. BF2MC is heavily watered down and its hard to even see things since its so ugly :lol If you've never touched the pc version i am sure its an awesome game.

FiRez

I know this sounds cliche but I'm so going to eat some crow if UT2K7 doesn't appear on xbox360 considering the push that MS has on xbox live

Shompola

Banned
hmm monitor + ps3 + ut2007 + kb/mouse does sound pretty nice, especially for someone like me who almost never upgrades the pc unless I get the hardware for free.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
:D Good news if it's true. I don't really give a shit about PC gaming anymore so stuff like this and Oblivion being on consoles is awesome.

I don't really mind whether it has keyboard/mouse support or not. It will probably split the userbase into distinct skill groups but that tends to happen with online gaming anyway. I know I would be much better at the game if I used a mouse & keyboard but I will be playing it with a controller while sat on my couch thanks very much :D

Deg

Banned
FiRez said:
I know this sounds cliche but I'm so going to eat some crow if UT2K7 doesn't appear on xbox360 considering the push that MS has on xbox live

I'm sure its time exclusive. But Sony are capable of keeping it perma but i doubt it i think. Gears of War is coming to pc according to J Allard. It seems like they want to sell the engine everywhere.

LAMBO

UT 2007 is going to be awesome, if the ps2 versiuon had mouse/kb, this one will can't wait to play you with my mouse/kb.

and you people are the laziest sacks, "boo hoo i can't lounge on my couch near comatose with a controller resting in my hand, so it's no good". You put that damn mouse and kb on the coffee table and get on the damn floor boy. With a big screen it's awesome.

Wait, the size of your screen might give you an advantage, they should ban all tvs over 36", or at least have seperate servers for different tv sizes. Yes, yes what a great idea, hire me immediatley all you game companies.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I'm going to have to buy a table or something for the FPS games with my KB and Mouse. If they don't separate the two online, it's going to make for an uneven game. Reminds me of the Quake 3 Arena on DC and PC.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
UT2004 did much to the series back on track for me. I'd imagine that simultaneous development on the PC and the PS3 version increases the likelihood that Epic could be working to ensure that the tools for modding the game produce output that's cross-compatible on both platforms.

Kangu

Banned
oatmeal said:
Of the 6 titles you named, 3 are confirmed, Warhawk and Lair by Sony bigwigs. Heavenly Sword isn't unrealistic at all judging from how far that game seems to be in development, and the same can be said for I-8. The only fantasy of the games you named is MGS4. Your attempt at damage control has failed.

Damage control? I couldn't give two shits about UT2k7. As far as I know there PS3 doesn't have a confirmed launch line up yet. Hell, most people aren't sure when the system is launching.

And I won't even delve into the fact that none of the speculated launch titles have even been played by anyone we know of. Hell, the only developer of the bunch I have any reason to trust is Insomniac.

Wollan

If they make kb/m players(if supported at all) play against gamepad players Epic should be castrated.

But don't take me wrong, Im very gratefull that you are making this a launch title Epic.
(Speaking of that, UT was a PS2 launch title. The engine was decent enough and it supported kb/m but no online play(which of course wasn't available at that time)).

Suddenly a whopper of a game becomes a launch title. So awesome.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
they should just option everything!

KB/M only
Controller only
Free for all!
team 1 KB/M v Team 2 Controller

For a start, you could fight out these KB/M vs Controller arguments and see who truly is the king of Controllers! :)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
DCharlie said:
team 1 KB/M v Team 2 Controller

For a start, you could fight out these KB/M vs Controller arguments and see who truly is the king of Controllers! :)

I would be all over this. Hearing controller players crying over their headsets would never get old :p

Kangu said:
Damage control? I couldn't give two shits about UT2k7. As far as I know there PS3 doesn't have a confirmed launch line up yet. Hell, most people aren't sure when the system is launching.

And I won't even delve into the fact that none of the speculated launch titles have even been played by anyone we know of. Hell, the only developer of the bunch I have any reason to trust is Insomniac.

Well Kaz did confirm that Lair and Warhawk were set to be launch titles. Ofcourse like any they can slip, but as of now they're launch titles.

Also didn't PSM get to play a version of UT2007 running off a PS3 dev kit recently?

FightyF

Banned
Deg said:

This is what I mean by speaking "out of their ass".

BTW I use the phrase to denote ignorance regarding the benefits of both.

BlueTsunami said:
Movement doesn't make a difference and straffing that is done with a keyboard is comparable to the movement that is done with a regular controller.

Movement with an analog stick will always be superior to digital input. Digital input only lets you run and stop. Analog movement allows you tip-toe, walk, speed walk, run, and burst.

Anyone here play Unreal? Evilore? You said I was speaking out of my ass...how did you find the CONTROLLER based movement in executing moves in UC2? Tapping special moves is far easier with a controller than a keyboard.

We're talking Unreal Tournament here guys...you can be fans of the K & M and will look forward to using it, as will I, but to ignore the benefits of the controller...especially in UT which has proven itself to be a great console game controlled by a controller...you're speaking out of ignorance.

Note, I never said one was better than the other, I said each have their benefits. Some people need to take a reading comprehension course.

Top Bottom