• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Tournament 2007 becomes PS3 launch title

Wollan

Borys said:
But without Halo's what was the big selling FPS on the "Halo-Box"?

I reckon Timesplitters sold a bunch of copies. Killzone even has sold over 1million copies.
Medal of Honor(ecspecially Frontline) have had some great sales numbers.

MbGCaM

Wollan said:
I reckon Timesplitters sold a bunch of copies. Killzone even has sold over 1million copies.
Medal of Honor(ecspecially Frontline) have had some great sales numbers.

Killzone NEVER sold 1 million copies in USA. More like 300,000-400,000

Amir0x

Banned
Kangu said:
GAF logic at its finest.

Gamespot: PSM is reporting that UT2k7 is a PS3 launch title.

GAF: OMG Lair, I-8, Heaveny Sword, MGS4, Warhawk, UT2k7 for launch! Best launch ever!!1!11! Confirmed spring launch! Unreal Torunament now Sony exclusive, X360 am cry

SERIOUSLY

I was reading this thread thinking "WTF" the whole time. UT2k7, Warhawk, Heavenly Sword (and Hot Shots Golf 5) might make launch. But even then, it's impossible to bet on Lair or even Warhawk actually being there. And I-8? Dunno, but... we haven't had any indications. And Tekken Tag is a nice rumour, and I'd make a nice guess, but how can you include that on any substantive list? It's fluff!

This launch is too early to determine anything. It's nice that UT2k7 will be there supposedly, but on page one we already had declerations that 360 launch sucks in comparrison. Cut the hyperbole and register your expectations, people! Otherwise PS3 launch is gonna suck hard for you.

As said, Killzone and MGS4 don't have a fucking imaginary christmastime fairytale chance in hell of coming for PS3 launch.

Wollan

MbGCaM said:
Killzone NEVER sold 1 million copies in USA. More like 300,000-400,000

It has sold over 500 000 in november(US) and Europe has been over 500 000 for a good while.
These numbers does not take into account the recent release in Japan aswell as Platinum release here in the west.

Final numbers being 1.5mill is very likely.

Wollan

Amir0x said:
SERIOUSLY
I was reading this thread thinking "WTF" the whole time. UT2k7, Warhawk, Heavenly Sword (and Hot Shots Golf 5) might make launch. But even then, it's impossible to bet on Lair or even Warhawk actually being there.

Kaz Hirai and Jack Tretton said both Lair and Warhawk where launch titles amongst a third(from SCEA) title which they didn't name(very likely I-8).

Amir0x

Banned
Wollan said:
Kaz Hirai and Jack Tretton said both Lair and Warhawk where launch titles amongst a third(from SCEA) title which they didn't name(very likely I-8).

And I'm saying, that's only a goal. It's impossible to know if it'll actually happen. We won't know how the launch will actually be like until much closer. Nothing has actually taken much shape.

IF they had:

Warhawk 2
I-8
Heavenly Sword
Hot Shots Golf 5
Lair
Tekken Tag 2
Unreal Tournament 2007
Medal of Honor: Airborne
Fight Night 3.5 (real edition)

ETC

it would be a pretty decent launch as far as launches go

BUT that is such a big if that it's nothing more than speculation. My issue is with trying to make comparrisons based on this info.

Amir0x said:
And I'm saying, that's only a goal. It's impossible to know if it'll actually happen. We won't know how the launch will actually be like until much closer. Nothing has actually taken much shape.

IF they had:

Warhawk 2
I-8
Heavenly Sword
Hot Shots Golf 5
Lair
Tekken Tag 2
Unreal Tournament 2007
Medal of Honor: Airborne
Fight Night 3.5 (real edition)

ETC

it would be a pretty decent launch as far as launches go

That's a little bit better than decent, don't you think? :) But yah as of now its hard to say what real or won't make launch. They do have games picked out to come out then, but as with any launch there are delays. I don't think Sony's going to rush any of the devs to finish a certain game to get it out on launch day.

Teknopathetic said:
"We're talking buying a new PC FROM SCRATCH.

I know you can buy cheaper PCs but I'd never go below $1500. Quality & speed are my main concerns (I've never bought a vid-card for less than $300 and I've bought 5 of them as for 2004)."

So am I. And if you want to include monitors, speakers, et al, I'd appreciate it if you included that estimate in your console cost too. (which is still inaccurate)

Considering only that a graphic card able to surpass the visuals of Xbox 360 is about twice the cost of a X360 itself I don't see your point...

Amir0x

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
That's a little bit better than decent, don't you think? :) But yah as of now its hard to say what real or won't make launch. They do have games picked out to come out then, but as with any launch there are delays. I don't think Sony's going to rush any of the devs to finish a certain game to get it out on launch day.

Maybe.

For me, I view launches as just a small glimpse at the future of a console. It doesn't indicate much either way. You can have lots of big name titles that are absolutely feature deprived, and lack polish, or whatever to rush for launch. In my personal view, most launches have almost no games that hold up for more than 6 months, and those that do only have one or two titles that are worth a damn by the end of a generation. But I realize that's not necessarily a mass viewpoint.

In other words, while it would certainly sound like a decent launch i would have to see how rushed/feature deprived/visually unpolished the games feel to make a statement on quality. and it's too early to judge that

"Considering only that a graphic card able to surpass the visuals of Xbox 360 is about twice the cost of a X360 itself I don't see your point..."

Considering that A) we don't know what visuals the X360 is capable of yet and that B) we're never sure what visuals current video cards, etc. are capable of at the time of their release either, I'd say you can't see a lot of things.

Also, keep in mind that I didn't bring up said price comparison either. You might want to skim over the thread a little more.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Borys said:
Fucking please... a PC costs $1500 a console $299.

If you count Halo 1 & 2 then absolutely. Those two games sold way beyond *all* PC FPSes, combined even.

Doom 3? HL2? BF2:MC? Pariah-haha? UC & UC2?

All I'm seeing is whining from you. As I've gotten older, I don't download hardly any mods anymore. I'm not trying to learn the intricacies of game and mapping 50 keys for moves and other shit like that. Give me Halo 2, my big ass TV, and my comfy couch, and I'll do the damn thing. Of the 2 FPS games that are on PC for the 360 launch, I bought them for the 360 over the PC for the same reasons listed.

q44vy.jpg

Now, when I just have to play the latest and greatest in FPS and it can only be found on the PC, I will put out the money to play it.

hl26nt.jpg

I don't have a cheap PC so you can throw that out too.

alien2.JPG

Even with all that, and acknowledging that KB/M is better than controller, I perfer controller for the added benefits it's offers. As a gamer, I'm very servicable in both.

I'm playing both sides of the fence in this though. I love gaming online and I personally don't mind the KB/M combo to compete at the highest level. That said, on a personal comfort level, I perfer the controller to the KB/M as will most of the gaming population, for at least one of the reasons I've mentioned. I wouldn't consider it dumbing down the game to separate the two either. If they did that, both sides will be happy. I have tons of friends who will never try a game on KB/M as I'm sure many of you do. People who have been gaming for 20 years plus like I have and have never played with KB/M isn't going to rush out and do it now. They will just move on to the next game. It needs to be separated.

I have my personal reasons, but looking at it from an average gamer's point of view, there should not be convergence of the two when it comes to online gaming.

Amir0x said:
In other words, while it would certainly sound like a decent launch i would have to see how rushed/feature deprived/visually unpolished the games feel to make a statement on quality. and it's too early to judge that

That's understandable for launches (or any game really). With those games you listed though, I really wouldn't have any doubts that TTT2, Warhawk, HSG5 and UT2007 would all be high quality games. Lair is a seperate issue as I don't have much confidence in F5, and I still don't even really know what the game is about.

Amir0x

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
That's understandable for launches (or any game really). With those games you listed though, I really wouldn't have any doubts that TTT2, Warhawk, HSG5 and UT2007 would all be high quality games. Lair is a seperate issue as I don't have much confidence in F5, and I still don't even really know what the game is about.

Well, we'll just have to see. My only issue is with making a comparrison for this hypothetical launch.

Agent Icebeezy

That hypothetical launch comes off odd to me. As there seem to be many issues with it.

5 Sony published titles won't happen at launch. As you will see as this new cycle progresses is that the 1st and 2nd party software will be to show the 'difference' between the different consoles, since we know that those will be basically the only games made for 1 specific piece of hardware. Having 5 at launch is kinda blowing your load a lil bit too early. Warhawk and Heavenly Sword seem to be the safest bets. HSG5 will get lost in the shuffle amongst all those other titles. You have to think, it's going to be competing with Blu-Ray catalogs from Disney, LucasArts and others. Only so much money to be spend. Tekken, Medal of Honor and Warhawk will be the top 3 selling games based off of that list given. If Lair turns out to be anything better than average, then a lot will buy it since I'm close to positive this will be the graphical showcase for the system. Medal of Honor will desecrate both Unreal Tounament and I-8 in sales as well. Especially if EA brings forth the next-gen visuals like they have for the 360. FN3 will be looked at as old news, unless there are prominent new boxers in this version. I'm sure a racer will pop up, it's like bad luck to not launch with a racer. If it is even halfway good, it'll get scooped up as well. If a racer shows up, it'll replace Warhawk on the top 3 sold. Tekken has it's fanbase on PS hardware. WW2 never seems to get old, judging from the success of CoD2 on 360 and racers are graphical showcases.

Amir0x

Banned
seriously

nobody cares about your opinion on the hypothetical launch Agent Icebeezy because you just buy everything anyway*

;)

Borys

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:

I knew all that already. I respect you and always respected (since the beginning) for being a TRUE multi-everything gamer.

But sometime you just repeat the PR stuff and that... annoys me greatly. FPSes sell better on Xbox, well that's a MAJOR generalization - one franchise sells better, insanely better even but that still is one franchise and not FPSes in general.

I'm really sorry that I came (once again) on a high-horse but I had to... straighten the facts.

Tellaerin

Agent Icebeezy said:
If people were interested in elevating their game, the PC would have been the dominant force for PCs this last cycle. It wasn't though, the Xbox sold more FPS games than the PC did within the same timeframe. With that said, yes, it should be a difference because the control offered by a keyboard and mouse of a controller is stronger than what an arcade stick is over a controller. A keyboard and mouse will be off-putting to the average gamer to have to compete at the highest level of a game online on a console. The average gamer doesn't know what WASD means. Their first thought when they realized they are going to continuously get their ass kicked online because of their 'inferior' controller will be this. If I wanted a PC game, I'd get one.

Like I said before, I have no qualms about it. I'll buy the KB and mouse, but if you are expecting the majority to gamers to convert and be happy, you are sadly mistaken.

Then they play online and they lose to people who spend $20 on a cheap USB keyboard and mouse. *shrug* It's not as if the game would be unplayable with a gamepad (and in fact, controlling vehicles may well end up being easier with a gamepad - there may be advantages to using it after all). I'd much rather see an inequity between keyboard and mouse users and players who rely on the gamepad than see the game slowed down and crippled in order to 'give the lowest common denominator a better chance of winning'. I'm not big on the idea of any multiplayer game that attempts to 'level the playing field' by imposing artificial restrictions on the more able players (such as deliberately building the game around slow player movement/response speed, forcing everyone to use less responsive input devices to give the players with slower reflexes a better chance of survival, or what have you). It's like forcing everyone to play with oven mitts on - it won't hurt the folks that already suck to begin with, but it definitely imposes an unfair ability cap on the players who would otherwise dominate.

I do support the idea of having an icon appear in the game browser next to the names of players using a keyboard and mouse, along with the ability to restrict games to players using a particular control type. If nothing else, it would nip the annoying whining from gamepad users in the bud. :p

Agent Icebeezy said:
FN3 will be looked at as old news, unless there are prominent new boxers in this version.

Not according to EA

Don't confuse this with Fight Night on PS3, however. According to EA's Kudo Tsunoda, "The PS3 [version] is going to be a totally different game, just because the Xbox 360 launches before the PS3 launches. So it's going to be much more of a kinda Fight Night 4 PS3 version and Fight Night 3 Xbox 360 version."

At the very least its nice to see they won't be recycling the same game for the PS3 as some were thinking.

Agent Icebeezy

Amir0x said:
seriously

nobody cares about your opinion on the hypothetical launch Agent Icebeezy because you just buy everything anyway

:lol

C'mon, I'm not even talking bad about the PS3. I'm placing myself in the shoes of an average gamer. This is a message board, aren't we here to discuss and talk. I'm discussing that list that was given for a PS3 launch. I thought it didn't make sense, so I decided to comment on it. Granted, I'll buy every game I want, but people like me are far and few between. I was looking at it from a business aspect. New IPs are always welcome at a launch, they got to start somewhere. I don't watch movies, but I'll be willing to bet money that whatever LucasArts put out will be one of the biggest things sales wise at launch. I don't think my opinion is too far off. I'm very willing to debate it in a civil manner. This thread in particular is similar to all the oohs and ahhs that were given to PGR3 on this board. Everybody knows it looks great, then again, everybody knew that Most Wanted was going to outsell it too. I'm sure Microsoft knew that as well. With that said, and all of the attention given to UT2K7 coming to PS3. MoH will not be anywhere near launch. It just doesn't make sense, financial sense that is. If Medal of Honor is there at launch, Larry Probst is going to laugh all the way to the bank as the EA juggernaut will roll along.

Agent Icebeezy

SolidSnakex said:
Not according to EA

At the very least its nice to see they won't be recycling the same game for the PS3 as some were thinking.

:lol Where the hell was this EA in the past?

Activision, as the 2nd largest 3rd party publisher has got to be embarrassed

Amir0x

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
:lol

C'mon, I'm not even talking bad about the PS3. I'm placing myself in the shoes of an average gamer. This is a message board, aren't we here to discuss and talk. I'm discussing that list that was given for a PS3 launch. I thought it didn't make sense, so I decided to comment on it. Granted, I'll buy every game I want, but people like me are far and few between. I was looking at it from a business aspect. New IPs are always welcome at a launch, they got to start somewhere. I don't watch movies, but I'll be willing to bet money that whatever LucasArts put out will be one of the biggest things sales wise at launch. I don't think my opinion is too far off. I'm very willing to debate it in a civil manner. This thread in particular is similar to all the oohs and ahhs that were given to PGR3 on this board. Everybody knows it looks great, then again, everybody knew that Most Wanted was going to outsell it too. I'm sure Microsoft knew that as well. With that said, and all of the attention given to UT2K7 coming to PS3. MoH will not be anywhere near launch. It just doesn't make sense, financial sense that is. If Medal of Honor is there at launch, Larry Probst is going to laugh all the way to the bank as the EA juggernaut will roll along.

;)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"So you know FN PS3 is the exact same game as the 360 version?"

it's not going to be exact, but it's not going to be massively different.
And i think that's pretty much the story for most EA games.

trmas

Banned
I really wouldn't be surprised to see 2K7 with at least a timed exclusive on PS3. What was the one demo at E3 last year EVERYONE could say was realtime? PS3 supports KB/M in play, and will have some kind of online plan. 2K7 is going to be Sony's main competition against Halo 3. Also, if the PS3 doesn't launch in the US until next Fall, the launch lineup will crush the crap that 360 had this time. If it's Spring, not much will probably be ready.

But at launch, we will probably see I-8, Warhawk, some form of Tekken, 2K7, EA Sports games (not crappy ports), Lair, and a few surprises/ports. Add FFXII late next year on PS2, and Sony is looking at a MONSTROUS final quarter next year. E3 should be very interesting this year.

DCharlie

"2K7 is going to be Sony's main competition against Halo 3. Also, if the PS3 doesn't launch in the US until next Fall, the launch lineup will crush the crap that 360 had this time."

Sony will have to match what MS have on the market at that time, not what they had nearly a year ago... IMO at least.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DCharlie said:
Sony will have to match what MS have on the market at that time

...to do what?

I agree with trmas in that if PS3 launches in the Fall in the US, it should absolutely have a large and great lineup. But it's not about trumping a year-old system in one day. People buy systems for more than launch games.

If you're just saying that launch-to-launch comparisons are irrelevant, I'd agree, somewhat.

Deg

Banned
Vaandaviii said:
Considering only that a graphic card able to surpass the visuals of Xbox 360 is about twice the cost of a X360 itself I don't see your point...

A 7800 GT costs less than a retard pack and that will put you in high end. Plus you have to be stupid to buy the console version of a game anyway nowadays. COD2, Battlefront 2 and Quake 4 are woeful compared to the pc versions. Pc users have higher standards right now when it comes to fps. Niether of these 3 games had any real impact this year for pc gaming.

DCharlie said:
it's not going to be exact, but it's not going to be massively different.
And i think that's pretty much the story for most EA games.

Yah but how many EA games have launched at the beginning of the year for one system and then at the end of the year for another system? That's basically going to be what happens with FN.

Sysgen

Borys said:
Fucking please... a PC costs $1500 a console $299.

If you count Halo 1 & 2 then absolutely. Those two games sold way beyond *all* PC FPSes, combined even.

Doom 3? HL2? BF2:MC? Pariah-haha? UC & UC2?

Tom Clancy games do extremely well on the "Halo-Box" and I think these games did better than those that you listed. These games were very important to the success of the console.

Ghost Recon series.
Splinter Cell series.
Rainbow Six series.

Some 3rd person but still a shooter.

trmas

Banned
Maybe I should explain. COD2 was the best 360 game in the launch lineup. Due to several major delays (Oblivion, DOA4, etc), the lineup was severely lacking in some key areas. If PS3 launches in the US next Fall as expected, the software shouldn't disappoint. Sony will have given developers a MUCH longer lead time with the hardware than MS did

Spin it all you want, but MS was in such a hurry to get the 360 out the door that they severely screwed up the launch from a software standpoint. If people think that crap looks good they are gonna lose it when they see next Fall's crop of games.

Deg

Banned
Here in the UK MS have created alot of negative opinions. Walk in shops and most talk is negative probably because of the launch mess. One of the channels did a segment on must have and xbox didnt come in but PS consoles and DS did. Toys were the big winner i think one of them was selling over 50,000 a day in the UK!

Wakune said:

It sold alot on console despite the best version on pc. Crap game however.

Gattsu25

Banned
trmas said:
Spin it all you want, but MS was in such a hurry to get the 360 out the door that they severely screwed up the launch from a software standpoint.
Why do you need to spin anything? It was a good launch. . .

DCharlie

"...to do what?

I agree with trmas in that if PS3 launches in the Fall in the US, it should absolutely have a large and great lineup. But it's not about trumping a year-old system in one day. People buy systems for more than launch games.

If you're just saying that launch-to-launch comparisons are irrelevant, I'd agree, somewhat."

The last bit ! i meant that people getting exicted that the US launch is going to hammer the X360 launch is missing the fight somewhat. I do agree though that it takes well over 12 months for a system to mature, but saying "OMG! UT2K7 is gonna destroy the X360 based on what we see now!" is missing the fact that between now and PS3 launch there are going to be some interesting releases (US and Japan). Coming into the game later means you have to match what is there (not strictly true but...)

Arsynic

Banned
Chairman Yang said:
And in a single stroke, the PS3 launch automatically becomes more impressive than the Xbox 360's was.
Sony fanboys getting excited over a PC FPS? Damn! Soon dogs will be fucking cats.

I'm sorry, but Unreal Tournament isn't a killer app on ANY platform.

teepo

Arsynic said:
Sony fanboys getting excited over a PC FPS? Damn! Soon dogs will be fucking cats.

ok. thxz for never playing ut2004. thx you. seriously.

Geoff9920

I'll be the first to eat some crow if ut2k7 doesn't appear on the 360. :)

:lol @ some of the statements made in this thread though.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Arsynic said:

You're right, between Sony fans getting excited and Xbox fans downplaying a PC FPS, it truly seems the end of days is nigh.

Arsynic

Banned
I typically hate PC FPS. I didn't buy Half Life, Unreal, Doom 3, F.E.A.R, or Quake 4. I even skipped Call of Duty 2. PC FPS + WWII theme (boring weapons) = meh.

Wake me up when Halo 3 and Killzone 3 debut.

Some things really don't match up about this fabled PS3 launch list. People are throwing out this "Spring 2006" shit that really = :lol. If the PS3 launches in the Spring, it's Japan only and if Japan goes apeshit over UT 2007 then dogs truly will fuck cats and I'll be fucking the dog.

Interspecies bestiality FTW!

PhatSaqs

Banned
kaching said:
You're right, between Sony fans getting excited and Xbox fans downplaying a PC FPS, it truly seems the end of days is nigh.
Dont forget Sony fans touting higher specs/power and Xbox fans downplaying it :p

PhoenixDark said:
Yeah, that sounds about right Oatmeal.

I still think the PS3 is coming out in October or November, at least in the states. Japan will get it in the Spring, if Sony is really serious about it that is. So, the launch could potentially look like:

-UT2007
-WarHawk
-Lair
-Tekken Tag (ONLINE)
-I-8(?)

Early 2007 (at the latest):
-MGS4

PS3 will be a beast. I'm sorry, but that blows just about all launch lists out the water.

You're fucking kidding right? That launch list is awful, just awful.

Top Bottom