• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Tournament 2007 becomes PS3 launch title

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
AltogetherAndrews said:
When in the hell did UT become a top console franchise? UC and UC2 were both terrible.

Unreal Tournament shits all over Unreal Champsionship

Haklong said:
You're joking right? UT2007 is Unreal with better graphics. I'm sure it will be great but it's one of those games that will always be better on the PC.

Tekken Tag online? Says who? And it's Tekken...

And as for Lair and I8, what have we seen for it? How do we know they will be so much better than anything that launched for the 360 and the Dreamcast? I think a lot of people tend to get ahead of themselves.

Well, the same could be said for Call of Duty, DOA, Kameo, & PDZ, etc. I'd put those franchises a couple of notches above the ones Xbox got at this early juncture.

Dilbert

Haklong said:
You're joking right? UT2007 is Unreal with better graphics. I'm sure it will be great but it's one of those games that will always be better on the PC.
What does that mean?

PC FPS gaming has been superior in the past because a high-end PC could generate superior graphics provide a superior control scheme (keyboard and mouse) to consoles. If PS3 can generate graphics which are just-as-good-or-better than PC graphics and supports KB+M, how can you say that the PC version will still be superior?

Shompola

Banned
Its the mod community wich makes it "allways" better, atleast for some. And this is an argument I have heard all the time by a good amount of GAF posters in the past. Just funny to see the tide is changing to mod community is shit anyway.

puck1337

Whoa @ UT2K7 as PS3 launch title. That's pretty great news - if it has competent keyboard and mouse support, I might be able to skip buying a videocard for a while.

Is Lair really being considered a launch title to wait for? Doesn't anybody remember the last few Factor 5 games?

MaestroRyan said:
UT vs. UC

UT is not UC

UC was the console rendition of UT2003. Same damned thing, really. UC2 and UT2004, on the other hand, were different. I'm just not entirely convinced that Epic can make a good console version of the game, and that's why I pointed to UC/UC2. Hopefully they bring some BIG changes to the franchise, because it sure as hell needs it.

Haklong

-jinx- said:
What does that mean?

PC FPS gaming has been superior in the past because a high-end PC could generate superior graphics provide a superior control scheme (keyboard and mouse) to consoles. If PS3 can generate graphics which are just-as-good-or-better than PC graphics and supports KB+M, how can you say that the PC version will still be superior?

Map editing, free maps to download, community, map packs. If the PS3 doesn't have a HD then we would probably have to use a sony mem stick if that's supported for downloads.

Call of Duty 2 for the 360 has very few maps. PC just got a few maps released for it and the 360 has a HD and a online service. Catching on?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
PhoenixDark said:
Yeah, that sounds about right Oatmeal.

I still think the PS3 is coming out in October or November, at least in the states. Japan will get it in the Spring, if Sony is really serious about it that is. So, the launch could potentially look like:

-UT2007
-WarHawk
-Lair
-Tekken Tag (ONLINE)
-I-8(?)

Early 2007 (at the latest):
-MGS4

PS3 will be a beast. I'm sorry, but that blows just about all launch lists out the water.

Jesus. Even though this list is fake, and small, and stupidly includes a game from 2007, it's still terrible. If you're going to invent a list in your head, at least make a good one. Here - good fake launch list:

MGS4
Ridge Racer 6 Ultra
Warhawk
Final Fantasy VII ReMake
Jumping Flash Legends
Gran Turismo 5
Shadow of The Humongous
God of War 2
Resident Evil 5

Mooreberg

Since when is MGS4 coming out before 2007? I'd expect this, Tekken Tag 2, 1st party stuff like Warhawk and I8, and some games from the North American publishers to be launch titles. Save MGS4 and GTA for the following holiday.

Dilbert

Shompola said:
Its the mod community wich makes it "allways" better, atleast for some. And this is an argument I have heard all the time by a good amount of GAF posters in the past. Just funny to see the tide is changing to mod community is shit anyway.
I agree that modding would give PC a leg up...however, if the servers can support both PC and PS3 clients using KB+M, then PS3 gamers could potentially download and play maps made by others. (Full mods would seem to be impossible, though.)

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Couldn't they just port UnrealEd to the PS3? You would probably be limited to just the default textures and static meshes but that'd still be really good. Plus maybe Epic could release new textures and meshes as downloadable content.

MaestroRyan said:
That's it, Sony's gone over the line by making this launch too awesome. There has to be a limit on the awesome, because this is just too awesome.

Calm down there, junior. You're way ahead of yourself. UT is a great PC game, but I'm not convinced that makes for a great console game and it's certainly not a title I would use to headline the PS3 launch.

All I need is for Ninja Theory to confirm Heavenly Sword as a launch title and my PS3 launch purchase is assured. I consider I-8, UT 2007, and Warhawk bonus titles.

As a side note, does anyone honestly expect the PS3 launch to be worse than the 360 launch? The 360 may have a good number of games, but that's about it (the fact that the #1 game is also available on PC doesn't do much to help MS get rid of that "PC in a box" label the Xbox brand carries with it). Sony could launch with one or two internally developed games, and it'd likely poop all over the combined effort of the entire X360 launch line up.

Stinkles said:
Jesus. Even though this list is fake, and small, and stupidly includes a game from 2007, it's still terrible. If you're going to invent a list in your head, at least make a good one. Here - good fake launch list.

Fake and terrible? Dramatic much? Three of those titles in his "potential" list have already been confirmed as slated for launch (Warhawk, Lair, and now UT07). Tekken Tag and I8 are guesses I suppose. Sounds ok to me.

People get way too up tight over this stuff.

Haklong

sonycowboy said:
Calm down there, junior. You're way ahead of yourself. UT is a great PC game, but I'm not convinced that makes for a great console game and it's certainly not a title I would use to headline the PS3 launch.

That's what I mean. I'm sure the launch will have good games. If it has 1 good game I'll be happy. But saying it's going to be the BEST LAUNCH EVER with no annoucements...

TheDuce22 said:
The quality of UT2007 depends totally on Sonys online plan.

Does the PC quality also rely on Sony's online plan? Because I remember folks spooging themselves over UT2004 and that was an "open" online implementation much like PS2 online.

IMO, your comment is a throwaway, damage control kind of a statement trying to remind us "Well, they ain't got XBox LIVE"

Shompola

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
As a side note, does anyone honestly expect the PS3 launch to be worse than the 360 launch? The 360 may have a good number of games, but that's about it (the fact that the #1 game is also available on PC doesn't do much to help MS get rid of that "PC in a box" label the Xbox brand carries with it). Sony could launch with one or two internally developed games, and it'd likely poop all over the combined effort of the entire X360 launch line up.

Problem is that SONY seems to have even greater problems than MS in that regard, I mean releasing good/great SONY developed launch games. Insomniac will of course help this time as I think SONY recently bought them? And thats it. Hardly different than MSs case IMO.

Stinkles said:
Jesus. Even though this list is fake, and small, and stupidly includes a game from 2007, it's still terrible. If you're going to invent a list in your head, at least make a good one. Here - good fake launch list:

Uhh, what? His list has 3 confirmed launch titles in it, Warhawk, Lair, and now UT 2007. I-8 has got to be one of the most further in development titles on slate for PS3. I mean the gameplay vid was released at E3, so expecting that for launch is absolutely realistic. And then the last of the 5 games he listed is the next Tekken. So let me ask again, what's so terrible about that list?

element

Sony could launch with one or two internally developed games, and it'd likely poop all over the combined effort of the entire X360 launch line up.
Highly depends on if they can get the games ready for launch. The way it is looking right now, I really don't expect many games for a Summer launch, if that is when Sony plans on coming out in JPN. Even for a fall US release, I think it will be difficult to get things ready.

element said:
Highly depends on if they can get the games ready for launch.

True. But the same was true of the 360 launch. It was a pretty damn good quality launch, but the games weren't really as polished as they could have been. The same will be true for the PS3 launch, I'm sure.

TheDuce22

Banned
Does the PC quality also rely on Sony's online plan? Because I remember folks spooging themselves over UT2004 and that was an "open" online implementation much like PS2 online.

IMO, your comment is a throwaway, damage control kind of a statement trying to remind us "Well, they ain't got XBox LIVE"

Does sonys plan include voice chat, friends lists, seperate controller and kb/m rooms, rankings, ect or is it still an open system like the ps2 or pc. Will the ps3 ship with a harddrive, will the netcode or servers be halfway decent. All this shit will have an huge impact on UT2007.

MaestroRyan said:
oh snap confirmed and possible launch PS3 games

MGS4
I-8
Killzone
UT2007

2006: year of the -omfg holy shit- shooter?

Killzone and MGS4 ain't got a blind shot in hell at hitting anywhere near launch.

TheDuce22 said:
Does sonys plan include voice chat, friends lists, seperate controller and kb/m rooms, rankings, ect or is it still an open system like the ps2. Will the ps3 ship with a harddrive, will the netcode or servers be halfway decent. All this shit will have an huge impact on UT2007.

Holy shit. :lol :lol :lol

Whahhh, whahhh, whahhh. Are you crying as you type this or something?

Yes, Sony's plans will have all of these things as SOCOM 2 had all of those 3 years ago, except the kb vs controller thing.

sonycowboy said:
True. But the same was true of the 360 launch. It was a pretty damn good quality launch, but the games weren't really as polished as they could have been. The same will be true for the PS3 launch, I'm sure.

Why would that be the case? Devs are going to have a full year with final dev kits for the U.S. launch if it's in Fall 06'. Didn't MS only ship their final kits like a few months before launch? I expect the PS3 launch line-up to be considerably more polished than MS' offering.

TheDuce22

Banned
Holy shit.

Whahhh, whahhh, whahhh. Are you crying as you type this or something?

Yes, Sony's plans will have all of these things as SOCOM 2 had all of those 3 years ago, except the kb vs controller thing.

Its easy to say that now but nobody knows for sure. Thats why the quality of UT2007 depends on what Sony has planed for their online service. Whats so confusing about what I said in my original post?

Haklong

KB vs Controller is going to be funny. I can see people crying foul. Wonder if Sony is going to scratch it for online play to keep things balanced.

Mrbob

I think it would be a smart move for Konami to release MGS4 earlier in the PS3 lifespan. The earlier it is released, the bigger killer app the title will be. Why compete with GTA in 2007 when you can have 2006 all to yourself as THE title to own.

Haklong

Mrbob said:
I think it would be a smart move for Konami to release MGS4 earlier in the PS3 lifespan. The earlier it is released, the bigger killer app the title will be. Why compete with GTA in 2007 when you can have 2006 all to yourself as THE title to own.

I think Kojima and his team want to release a polished game, not help Sony have a "killer app" for their launch. At least I hope they do that...It's what they always have done.

Mrbob

Haklong said:
I think Kojima and his team want to release a polished game, not help Sony have a "killer app" for their launch. At least I hope they do that...It's what they always have done.

Yeah but we don't know how far along MGS4 is. Late 2006 release could have always been in the works. I think the move would be absolutely brilliant. For PS3 *and* MGS4. Konami can have the holiday season all to themselves to re-establish Metal Gear Solid Series among the gaming elite.

Although with Subsistence coming Spring 2006 it probably won't be till Spring 2007 when MGS4 is out.

Gamepads have never given me trouble in a well made FPS. In fact, I think they're more accurate in mimicing the movement of someone aiming a gun, rather than the really fast twitchiness of a mouse.

You're a retard.

Shooting a gun in a video game and shooting a gun in real life have jack and shit in common with one another, contrary to what Jack Thompson would have you believe.

Stop trying to extrapolate anything from a vague subject you clearly know nothing about.

Mousing > Cripple Pads

Kangu

Banned
GAF logic at its finest.

Gamespot: PSM is reporting that UT2k7 is a PS3 launch title.

GAF: OMG Lair, I-8, Heaveny Sword, MGS4, Warhawk, UT2k7 for launch! Best launch ever!!1!11! Confirmed spring launch! Unreal Torunament now Sony exclusive, X360 am cry

Slo

Well, UT2007 is a must play title for me, so it's going to be a matter of cost that determines which platform I get it on.

$500 PS3 + $100 KB/mouse for UT2007

OR

$600 in computer upgrades to play UT2007

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Kangu said:
Unreal Torunament now Sony exclusive, X360 am cry

I've only read one person in this thread make a crack about the X360 and there is bearly any banter about UT2K7 being a Sony exclusive. Most of the posts have been about Keyboard and Mouse support and possible other launch titles.

The funny thing is, your post might be the catalyst to start a X360 vs Sony thread from this point on.

Ark-AMN

Banned
The only reason I want UT 2007 is of course for the Unreal Editor (UE3!), and thats not gonna be on PS3. Sorry, PC for me.

Kangu said:
GAF logic at its finest.

GAF: OMG Lair, I-8, Heaveny Sword, MGS4, Warhawk, UT2k7 for launch! Best launch ever!!1!11! Confirmed spring launch! Unreal Torunament now Sony exclusive, X360 am cry

Of the 6 titles you named, 3 are confirmed, Warhawk and Lair by Sony bigwigs. Heavenly Sword isn't unrealistic at all judging from how far that game seems to be in development, and the same can be said for I-8. The only fantasy of the games you named is MGS4. Your attempt at damage control has failed.

Mrbob

Weren't near final PS3 kits sent out to developers in December 2005?

360 launch titles had like one month with final kits. PS3 launch titles could have up to 6+ months on final kits (I think Spring 2006 will be for Japan release).

Why are some people saying no K/M then its trash and it would suck with the boomerang?

"We learned that despite having up to seven Bluetooth 2.0 compliant controllers, and six USB slots, and you will also be able to plug in a keyboard and a mouse. The company representative added that you will be able to play games such as Unreal Tournament 2007 with the keyboard and the mouse. This can mean the end of the auto aiming that you now have on Playstation 2, but I guess that developers will need to make the game fit the controller and keyboard and mouse. "

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25858

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Chiggs said:
What? Did you and I read the same first page?

Yes I did, most of it was initial comments on this announcment, about Modifications being possible on the PS3 and Keyboard and Mouse support.

Striek

Kangu said:
GAF logic at its finest.

The bolded are launch titles. UT2007 may well be PS3 (console) exclusive, Heavenly sword has to have at least a decent shot, Spring is still being mooted and those titles + the inevitable third party games would make it the best launch ever, if the quality is at least "good to great" on each.

GAF is incredible, I agree.

Top Bottom