• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unturned - DayZ-like made by 16 year old is in steam most played right now

MayMay

Banned
Saw it while watching Lirik, and.. yeah. Not my thing. I'm annoyed by anything that looks remotely like Minecraft by now - since it takes literally 0 effort to create assets for that "art style".

Saganator

Pretty impressive for a 16 year old not only to be able to do this, but to also finish it. He has a bright future ahead of him.

ibCcRwNcSoWMk.jpg

Played half an hour, liked it. Couldn't connect online, so tried singleplayer. The shooting felt nice, although would wish for headshots and decapitation. Picking up items is not great, the hitbox is too small so you have to be right next to the item. Hardcore difficulty is fine. Takes 7 punches for a zombie to go down. Laughed when I saw a lumberjack zombie near some big trees. Those crawlers are tough to attack from up top, can't attack when on their level.

ishrFLPt1ASbe.jpg

I love the clouds looking like legos, gives it a surreal cubist vibe. Day/night cycle is rad.

ibv6UedAyb8Yvi.jpg

wwm0nkey

I guess, but still.. I'm just so sick of games that look like Minecraft. There are too many.

Edit: But yeah, props to that guy for getting a game on Steam. Hope his next game won't look the same way though :p
Well on the plus side it's only the clouds and characters that look Minecraft like.

Really really enjoying it. Seems a great alternative to paying for Day Z haha. Really tough it's been a while since I played a game like this so I'm ever so slowly getting back into the swing of things. Seems to be a decent amount of depth too.

Afrikan

13 year olds making games about Grand Theft Pizza.

16 year olds making games about surviving zombies.

And me, the 20-something year old, just sits around eating pizza like a zombie.

wanna trade ages? would love to go back to my 20s somethings.

32 is not so bad.... you want it? It comes with problem solving skills.

FinKL

Huge congrats to the kid. I'm more surprised it took us this long to get a Minecraft+DayZ like game made. The f2p is awesome too so I can get friends to jump in without commitment

Yuuichi

So initial impressions:

Aside from the fact this kid did what AAA companies can not (competent options menu) the game is mechanically solid, really cool, and hard as hell. I picked up the upgrade to show my support, this could be a fun ride.

wwm0nkey

Wha does the Gold upgrade do exactly?

Pretty much lets you use Gold servers.

-Golden name in chat and player list.
-Extra skin colors, hair and faces.
-Access to special Golden servers.
-Suit and shades on Golden servers.
-Extra loot drops on Golden servers.
-Double experience on Golden servers.
-Enhanced sleek darker user interface.

So no a Golden player cant go into a Normal server and use these.

Krejlooc

Banned
Hats off to this kid, stuff like this warms my heart. I'm really happy for him. I always like reading about young people getting into game development. It seems so pure.

Edit: needless to say im buying into gold. Love supporting stuff like this.

Bought gold and played another couple of hours tonight.

He added a new SMG and some bug fixes overnight and is working on steam server stuff now. That's most important IMO since multiplayer at the moment is awful :(

Still - I can only see this getting better and better. Hell I only just found my first axe and started gathering wood!

Aselith

Pretty much lets you use Gold servers.

-Golden name in chat and player list.
-Extra skin colors, hair and faces.
-Access to special Golden servers.
-Suit and shades on Golden servers.
-Extra loot drops on Golden servers.
-Double experience on Golden servers.
-Enhanced sleek darker user interface.

So no a Golden player cant go into a Normal server and use these.

This kid locked a UI behind a paywall? Is it just a UI skin or actually a different interface?

Pennybags

We still haven't gotten that perfect open world Zombie game.

As far as multiplayer experiences go, I'm optimistic about H1Z1. (Not saying perfect, of course.) Planetside 2 has been my primary game for a couple of years now, satisfying all my shooter and large-scale MMO needs. I can interact with groups of people both friendly and opposing in ways I can't do in any other FPS.

The way the devs communicate with the fanbase is definitely something other studios can learn from.

wwm0nkey

This kid locked a UI behind a paywall? Is it just a UI skin or actually a different interface?

Im not joking when I say all it does is turn the UI grey, that is all lol

I mostly just see the $5 as a donation thing since you really don't need to have it at all.

ZenVolta

Gold
6a4c368320.png

Free
8778774c16.png

Buying gold is more about supporting a kid who was smart enough not to charge money just to cash in on a games hype.

Also I want this game to be harder. We built an awesome base with Ladders and Flood lights, hidden doors, barbed wire. The whole nine yards. But once you have stuff the zombies stop being a threat. But food and water become the issue. And thats pretty good but a game like this should have a higher zombie spawn rate or something. Maybe some flying monsters or something just to mix it up. AND FOR THE LOVE OF DOGE I NEED SAVING FIXED.

Iv played this for 11 hours now o_O

Alienous

Perhaps it's just me feeling like a waste of skin, but this is all really one 16 year old's work?

I'm not even considering the game itself. The name "Unturned" for a zombie survival horror game is up there with "The Last of Us" in terms of poignancy. That seems like too slick a title for any of the 16 year old's I've ever met to come up with.

Perhaps it's just me feeling like a waste of skin, but this is all really one 16 year old's work?

I'm not even considering the game itself. The name "Unturned" for a zombie survival horror game is up there with "The Last of Us" in terms of poignancy. That seems like too slick a title for any of the 16 year old's I've ever met to come up with.

I agree that the work itself is amazing for someone on their own regardless of age, although personally I think "Unturned" is a little gag-worthy as a title.

Top Bottom