• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unturned - DayZ-like made by 16 year old is in steam most played right now

Alienous

I agree that the work itself is amazing for someone on their own regardless of age, although personally I think "Unturned" is a little gag-worthy as a title.

As far as zombie things go, it's probably one of the better titles I've heard honestly. Titles like Dead Rising, Walking Dead are eugh worthy to me. Dawn of the Dead is better. Unturned is a great title within that genre. You can tell
it's about zombies and survival from the perspective of a survivor.

Well, I like it, at least.

Krejlooc

Banned
I'M GIVING AWAY A GOLD PASS FOR FREE

This touches me so much that I want to support the kid beyond my initial purchase. Hence, for those of you who can't directly support this kid through your own means, I have a key to give to you. Just post the funniest thing you did when you were 16 and the one that makes me laugh the most gets the key.

It's all in the name of giving this kid another sale.

Sarcasm

I don't even remember when I was 16 lol

is old =(

More stupid than funny...

Friend and I had mace..for some odd reason. We were at a grocery store and I sprayed it all over his shirt. My god our eyes. Than I had to drive home....that smell stayed on our clothes and fill that car up...had to roll all the windows down and speed so I could see through the tears.

Played on a gold server for first time now. Apparently it has enhanced loot drops but I didn't notice too much difference. Found two ghillie suit parts instead of one, two bandages instead of one. That sort of thing.

Ended up with a assault rifle, pistol, NVGs and full ghillie then died because I couldn't find any food :(

Loving this game so far

ugh I'm running out of places to store my stuff. My house is filled with crates that can only hold four items each so I'm really hoping he ups this number.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
So initial impressions:

Aside from the fact this kid did what AAA companies can not (competent options menu) the game is mechanically solid, really cool, and hard as hell. I picked up the upgrade to show my support, this could be a fun ride.

AAA companies in my opinion are pay-check developers...not gamers. This 16-yr old is putting his passion for gaming first, thus you'll get a more authentic and better quality product.

I think that goes with anything that's made in our world. Hand-made stuff is usually of better quality than machine made, depending on the product.

I've always enjoyed indie development or small studio developed games because they're putting more effort into their product than some desk jockey working for EA or Activision's in-house developers...i.e., DICE, Treyarch, Infinity Ward, etc.

Froli

Been watching this on Lirik's stream. Looks fun, but...can you imagine if this turned into

Medieval fantasy with all that crafting.
I want it NAO.

I'm struggling to even find a backpack or a way to heal hahaha

Yeah it took a bit before I lucked into a backpack but eventually you'll get one and then see them everywhere.

If you don't wanna venture into town to loot the pharmacy you can opt to deconstruct a shirt and it should give you a cloth or two which in turn you can craft into a Rag that will heal for about 5% :)P)

Yeah it took a bit before I lucked into a backpack but eventually you'll get one and then see them everywhere.

If you don't wanna venture into town to loot the pharmacy you can opt to deconstruct a shirt and it should give you a cloth or two which in turn you can craft into a Rag that will heal for about 5% :)P)
I raided a town last night but had 100% health and was looking for a backpack, foolishly didn't pick up anything from the pharmacy. I didn't know that about shirts though that's great to know

Card Boy

Banned
Nelson pushed out an updated, apparently we can host barebones dedicated servers.

Hello!

I tried to respond to more e-mail, but it's now pouring in faster than I can reply. Pretty crazy! Also apparently the VPN tool "Evolve" has gone offline since so many of you are using it to avoid portforwarding!

Additions:
-Added braziers and chests (which hold 6 items!):

ADetc2i.png

1 crate + 3 cross = 1 chest
2 sticks + 2 scrap = 1 brazier
-Added the ability to build outwards and upside down:

hAxOoQI.png

-Added some other new recipies:
1 rope + 1 cloth = 3 fertilizer
1 scrap using 1 handsaw = 3 wire
1 cloth using 1 handsaw = 3 rope
-Added collateral explosions to explosives. (shooting a landmine sets it off and will blow up any nearby explosive devices)

Tweaks:
-Moved sirens position to be more nicely lit and are synced with audio.
-Reduced the number of supplies required to make structures.
-The chainsaw vibrates when used.

Fixes:
-Fixed culling distances breaking on dual render scopes when changed in-game.

Networking progress:
As a temporary fix you can now host barebones dedicated servers with the following command line arguments on the game executable -batchmode -nographics followed by any of the following:
-arena
-pei
-normal
-bambi
-hardcore
-gold
-sync
-nosync
-pvp
-pve
-pass:pASSWORD
-port:pORTNUMBER
-players:pLAYERMAX
After those configuration arguments you can add -sv to actually launch the server.

This Game Man...i like it ;_;....for someone that did not play minecraft yet......i actually like this lol

supported the kid and bought the gold pass :3

I'M GIVING AWAY A GOLD PASS FOR FREE

This touches me so much that I want to support the kid beyond my initial purchase. Hence, for those of you who can't directly support this kid through your own means, I have a key to give to you. Just post the funniest thing you did when you were 16 and the one that makes me laugh the most gets the key.

It's all in the name of giving this kid another sale.
I bought a journal for a girl, wrote that i liked her and put it on her patio.

That's more creepy than funny, tho.

Once my friend and I were at public swimming pool in our neighborhood. he had to take a crap, so he went behind the bushes. Sadly there was no TP so he used a chunk of a pool noodle to wipe off with, then went to the lost and found and got a guy's Confederate flag shirt and finished up woth that. then he washed up in tje baby pool for good measure.

Game getting better every day.

Just hope all this attention doesn't harm it in anyway - the internet is a horrible place sometimes and he's only 16 :/

Card Boy

Banned
So in all seriousness, how does it stack up to DayZ?

Zombies don't walk through walls or the ground, gameplay just works and acts like any other shooter and isn't janky.

At the moment the game needs a lot of little things in terms of feature and gameplay mechanics. I don't mind the Minecraft look but some of the texturing needs to be improved. Try it yourself it's like 50 meg.

AHA-Lambda

Well if the 64 player / bigger map come out soon I think I will just play this over it to be honest.

Zombies don't walk through walls or the ground, gameplay just works and acts like any other shooter and isn't janky.

At the moment the game needs a lot of little things in terms of feature and gameplay mechanics. I don't mind the Minecraft look but some of the texturing needs to be improved. Try it yourself it's like 50 meg.

Sounds solid, unbelievable that it's free and DayZ wants £20 :/

wwm0nkey

New update came out, added garages and fixed a few things, Steamworks support is coming along pretty well it seems.

He is going FAST on those updates.

Card Boy

Banned
This is my list of suggestions just in case Nelson ever decides to read this thread. Amazing game though.

• Text should disappear after awhile instead of always staying there
  • Should be able to drag items on yourself to equip them
  • Multiple story buildings should have stairs instead of ramps indoors
  • Should be able to disable individual HUD elements instead of just all of them
  • Towns should have names and with signs on roads to identify them
  • There is shrubbery clipping through buildings whilst indoors that needs to be addressed
  • The moon needs to look better
  • Xbox/PS4 controller support (with button prompts)
  • Needs quit to desktop in the menu
  • Day/night cycle needs to be longer
  • Add option for realtime day/night cycle for servers
  • Needs alot of optimization.
  • Add vsync, triple buffering
  • Motorbikes
  • Add doors to buildings
  • Add weather effects
  • Add boats, rafts, canoes.
  • Add temperatures
  • Add stats page
  • Equipped items in your hand shouldn't take an inventory slot.
  • Connecting to a full server should say it's full instead of 'Sorry: Timed Out'
  • Zombies should be client side i belive, currently they lag if the host is lagging
  • Buildings are abit too simple and need better titlesets on the outside and the inside
  • Tutorial needs work, it's abit too simple
  • Add FPS cap limit (not to be confused with Vsync)
  • Make some zombies (not all) roam instead of making them just stand there.
  • Add more ambient sounds
  • Add Steam Cloud
  • Map needs to be bigger
  • Add auto save for single player
  • The needs to be more wildlife
  • Ability to scroll the inventory with your mouse wheel
  • Fishing
  • Caves
  • Customizable vehicles

This is my list of suggestions just in case Nelson ever decides to read this thread. Amazing game though.

• Text should disappear after awhile instead of always staying there
  • Should be able to drag items on yourself to equip them
  • Multiple story buildings should have stairs instead of ramps indoors
  • Should be able to disable individual HUD elements instead of just all of them
  • Towns should have names and with signs on roads to identify them
  • There is shrubbery clipping through buildings whilst indoors that needs to be addressed
  • The moon needs to look better
  • Xbox/PS4 controller support (with button prompts)
  • Needs quit to desktop in the menu
  • Day/night cycle needs to be longer
  • Add option for realtime day/night cycle for servers
  • Needs alot of optimization.
  • Add vsync, triple buffering
  • Motorbikes
  • Add doors to buildings
  • Add weather effects
  • Add boats, rafts, canoes.
  • Add temperatures
  • Add stats page
  • Equipped items in your hand shouldn't take an inventory slot.
  • Connecting to a full server should say it's full instead of 'Sorry: Timed Out'
  • Zombies should be client side i belive, currently they lag if the host is lagging
  • Buildings are abit too simple and need better titlesets on the outside and the inside
  • Tutorial needs work, it's abit too simple
  • Add FPS cap limit (not to be confused with Vsync)
  • Make some zombies (not all) roam instead of making them just stand there.
  • Add more ambient sounds
  • Add Steam Cloud
  • Map needs to be bigger
  • Add auto save for single player
  • The needs to be more wildlife
  • Ability to scroll the inventory with your mouse wheel
  • Fishing
  • Caves
  • Customizable vehicles
Good list. Hope to see a number of these implemented. However I do believe the towns and areas have names, you just need to find the PEI Map item first.

Archpath1

Saw it on twitch with lirik and it was good stuff, he did pvp with some good gear took a base 4 guys made and killed them all multiple times, they had they're respawns in the base haha

belushy

Banned
Its graphics kind of bug me, but I'm definitely still interested in trying the game out. Can't believe he is a 16 releasing a full game though by himself. Makes me wish I would just sit down and start trying myself.

Klyka

Banned
Its graphics kind of bug me, but I'm definitely still interested in trying the game out. Can't believe he is a 16 releasing a full game though by himself. Makes me wish I would just sit down and start trying myself.

The graphics are actually beautiful. The lighting together with the artstyle creates views and vistas that rival, if not outshine DayZ.

It looks completely functional compared to Day-Z and it's only made by a 16 year old kid? Wow. Rocket and co should be fucken embarrassed considering they have spent like 2 years plus and have more people with years of experience and they can't even get zombies to stop walkling through walls, plus they couldn't even come up with their own engine or map to boot.

edit:

just downloaded it, was 48 meg. Guy has full graphics options, FOV sliders, lean. The tutorial needs alot of work and yeah that Steam browser needs to come along because at the moment it's basically Terraria style online with IP addresses and ports.

Are the main problems with Day Z inherent to the ARMAII engine? They may be skilled but unable to correct some of the issues at the core of the game. Just curious bc I havent spent much time with the game...curiously I find it way more fun to watch on Twitch than to actually play.

As for this kids game...impressive...will have to check it out.

Top Bottom