• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unturned - DayZ-like made by 16 year old is in steam most played right now

Wut?
He isn't charging this to reap the reward of his lifetime?

But dang, I actually love the pixel artstyle for a zombie game.

Consider perhaps that the game would not be as popular were it not free? Still, congrats to the kid. I feel so woefully unaccomplished

Are the main problems with Day Z inherent to the ARMAII engine? They may be skilled but unable to correct some of the issues at the core of the game. Just curious bc I havent spent much time with the game...curiously I find it way more fun to watch on Twitch than to actually play.

As for this kids game...impressive...will have to check it out.

Arma was picked for dayz solely for the fact that the engine supported the massive map size that rocket wanted. As a video game playing engine it is awful from coding to interface on a fundamental level.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Minecraft graphics. :/

That aside, I'll check it out. Surely it'll have the promise (zombie survival with ZOMBIES being the focus) that DayZ failed to do. :(

belushy

Banned
The graphics are actually beautiful. The lighting together with the artstyle creates views and vistas that rival, if not outshine DayZ.

I guess it isn't "bad" or anything. I just only like the Minecraft aesthetic for certain games, mainly Minecraft and Murder Miners.

RedSwirl

What impresses me is that despite the Minecraft graphics, it still looks a lot like Chernarus. I imagine being made as this type of game from the ground up instead of being modded from a military simulator gives it some advantages.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
15 hours into this game and I've only spent an hour of it in multiplayer. This is really good, especially for a guy his age.

Card Boy

Banned
What impresses me is that despite the Minecraft graphics, it still looks a lot like Chernarus. I imagine being made as this type of game from the ground up instead of being modded from a military simulator gives it some advantages.

Map is tiny but still good, apparently it's based on a real place in Canada though.

spirity

Wow, this is actually pretty fun. And challenging too, the zombies are no pushover. Kudos to this kid, I hope he continues to develop this because there's definitely a future for this game if he does.

Card Boy

Banned
Thought it was unity? The old version was Roblox.

You may be right i assumed it was RŌBLOX since that was what the prototype used and Nelson was on there.

Hello!

Today I got to talk to the amazing rlabrecque, coder of the C++ to C# Steamworks.NET wrapper, and he says he's working on improving some of the networking code which will really speed up the Valve integration. Hopefully he'll be done in a few days and I'll be able to get it into the game and start running VAC secure servers!

In the mean time, however, here's today's patch:

Additions:
-Added player statistics to the main menu.
-Added a scrollbar to the player list.
-Added kicks for teleporting on servers.
-Added security against hacked backpack sizes/weights.

Tweaks:
-Smoke grenades spawn in militia spawns.
-Dedicated clients resize to 800x600.

Fixes:
-Fixed pulling people out of the water/ground on synced servers.
-Fixed the spelling of permanent.

Unfortunately Mac support is still proving to be a complete pain to get working with the Steam stuff, but hopefully that can be worked out soon.

From now on weekends will be my days off though. ; )

Today's community feature is /u/masterpanda's AMAZING bridge

iW2Wmw8.jpg

Gruso

It looks completely functional compared to Day-Z and it's only made by a 16 year old kid? Wow. Rocket and co should be fucken embarrassed considering they have spent like 2 years plus and have more people with years of experience and they can't even get zombies to stop walkling through walls, plus they couldn't even come up with their own engine or map to boot.
TL3hdOz.jpg

- DayZ standalone commenced development in January 2013
- It is currently midway through the scheduled public alpha
- It is a massive re-write of a military simulation engine (which with all due respect to Unturned, is a little different to creating a game in Unity)

I don't want to derail the thread any further. Try not to be so ignorant. It's "fucken" embarrassing.

Congrats to the creator of Unturned.

wwm0nkey

And another update to the game

Update 2.1.1
JULY 14 - NELSON SEXTON
Hello!

Today 2 dedicated game server companies contacted me asking about getting out massive Unturned servers! The game just needs the Steamworks servers integrated with SteamCMD before that can happen though.

Additions:
-Added the miner helmet:

1 construction helmet + 1 torch = 1 miner helmet
2 rags = 1 bandage
2 bandage = 1 dressing
-Added the option to respawn at your bed.
-Added a 10 second cooldown on PvP for bed respawns.
-Added message for version mismatch.
-Added the ability to put shutters on walls to protect ladders.
-Added keybinds for turning nvgs on/off, dropping items and dequiping items.

Tweaks:
-Increased all XP drops.
-Increased metal shield health.
-Increased (slightly) crop growth time.
-Renamed reset to suicide.

Fixes:
-Fixed savedata resets when playing tutorial.
-Fixed a saving bug when destroying the only barricade in a zone.
-Fixed robery to robbery.

Today's community feature is /u/BayaniTenzen's HUGE farm fortress:
0PvhMQo.jpg

Jobbs

Banned
TL3hdOz.jpg

- DayZ standalone commenced development in January 2013
- It is currently midway through the scheduled public alpha
- It is a massive re-write of a military simulation engine (which with all due respect to Unturned, is a little different to creating a game in Unity)

I don't want to derail the thread any further. Try not to be so ignorant. It's "fucken" embarrassing.

Congrats to the creator of Unturned.

You have to wonder then if maybe the Day Z devs shoulda just "made something in Unity". :) What is it they're doing with this clunky arma engine that clearly makes it so difficult to make a game presentable and playable that couldn't just be done in Unity?

(I say this from a consumer point of view. clearly--- selling a highly incomplete, unpolished product in its early alpha state has made them rich, a fact that continues to blow my mind)

nded

Wow, pretty impressive. Even if he's not raking in money with the game, it's a hell of a bullet point on your resume at 16 years old.

Card Boy

Banned
Update 2.1.2
16 JULY - NELSON SEXTON
Hello!

Today Unturned got it's own icon on twitch.tv! There's a lot of awesome people out there making amazing Unturned content, for example if you're having trouble in the game check out LCBradley3k's useful survival videos!

Additions:
-Added very tight anti-speedhack kicks. (2.1.2.3)
-Added security against hackers spawning in vehicles and zombies.
-Added a new collision mesh for garages to make them easier to park in.

Tweaks:
-Increased the brightness of civilian night vision during the day.
-Increased spawn rate of Savage drum magazines.

Fixes:
-Fixed suppresor to suppressor.
-Fixed to steep to too steep in foundations.
-Fixed a bug with falling into the water.

Steam server progress: (Not in the public branch.)
Most of today's work went into the Steam servers, which are coming along slowly and surely. At least it shows up on the LAN list now! I've noticed a TON of people playing on massive 50 player servers which is great, but the game isn't optimized for that yet so there's a lot of de-synchronization. I'll be doing my best to significantly improve this with the Steam networking, however!

UeHsaCp.png

Card Boy

Banned
Hello!

Tomorrow morning at around 10:00 AM Mountain Standard Time I'll be streaming work on a new town in PEI on my Twitch channel Dev_Nelson, so come hang out and provide some feedback or ask questions!

Today I got a ton of progress done on the Steam server integration and learned a lot about how they work which will be really helpful. I even got the chance to talk to rlabrecque some more and he's doing some fantastic work improving the C++ to C# workflow, so thanks to him Steam servers will be coming sooner than originally expected! Note: Steam servers are not in the public branch as of yet.

Tweaks:
-Improved anticheat verus speedhacks.
-Improved anticheat versus fake cars to prevent lag.
-Improved the long hair style to be more lopsided.
-Increased home respawn timer to 20 seconds.

Fixes:
-Fixed zombies to not attack two things at once.

Card Boy

Banned
I will post the last few updates as Nelson has being doing it pretty much daily even on the weekend.

Edit: Fixed teleporting tree stumps and thank you so much, we managed to get into the #3 spot on Steam! That's nuts.

Today on the stream over 6,000 people showed up to ask questions and help design the new town! It even resulted in the creation of two new buildings, the butcher and the gun shop:

Tweaks:
-Skills get reset to half the level on death.
-Increased the number of cars on PEI.

Fixes:
-Fixed antispeed being a bit too sensitive?

Today's patch is mostly fixes so I'll start off with the state of Steam networking (not public yet):

The server console features an easily expandable command system, and all the commands can be executed through run-time arguments for use on a server box! Right now I can't easily work on the low level networking due to a bug in Steamworks.NET, but rlabrecque is looking into that. In the mean time I'll be working on the higher level things that will make it adaptable to the existing Unity networking.

Tweaks:
-Changed player draw distance to the same as world props.
-Renamed keys to controls since some people found it confusing.

Fixes:
-Fixed inventory loading bug. (Thanks to Dakotaz for providing savedata!)
-Fixed crate loading bug.
-Fixed aiming with no sights on the timberwolf and mosen.
-Fixed binoculars going upside down on low field of view.
-Fixed floating grill at the park.

Today I'd like to explain EXACTLY what is happening with the Steam networking, but first here's today's patch notes:

Additions:
-Added the ability to run the game in offline mode.
-Added recipe for 2 Scrap with Hammer creating 1 Can.
-Added link to the patch notes on the title screen.

Tweaks:
-Increased APC speed.
-Increased Desert Falcon damage.
-Increased Lapua Tracer spawnrate.
-Reduced longbow damage.

Fixes:
-Fixed swapping backpacks with equipped items.
-Fixed melee range exploit.
-Fixed invisible empty crates.

Alright onto the Steam networking:

For those who don't know, right now my top priority is reworking the networking to use Steam game servers. This means replacing all of the existing network code with a completely different way of doing things that will allow dedicated servers, use of the server list and other neat features.

At this point I have mostly wrapped the Steamworks networking in a way that can make use of the existing remote procedure call system, but it could still use some polishing over the next couple days. This is a big step because it will be the component that all of the existing networking will communicate with.

The next step, after optimizing and improving this system, is to work on getting Unturned Steam servers onto a testing branch for you guys!
Tomorrow I'll have more news on upcoming things, this is just a quick fix for the following issues:

Fixes:
-Fixed armor reversal bug on multiplayer.
-Fixed cheated skills going onto synced servers.
-Fixed holding backpack overhead.
Today/yesterday I got a ton of things done for the Steam networking which is detailed below the patch notes. I know I said I wouldn't work on the weekends anymore, but I've just been having too much fun hehe. ;D

Additions:
-Updated to the newest version of Unity which should hopefully fix audio issues with chainsaws, etc that some people are reporting.

Tweaks:
-Increased electric trap health significantly.
-Increased network sendrate.
-Decreased sensitivity of antispeed a tiny bit more.

Fixes:
-Fixed easy sync servers screwing up savedata occasionally.
-Fixed some buggy areas on the map and an exploit with the bridge.
-Fixed gunshot audio range.

Steam Networking: (not in the public branch)
The dedicated server can now be run on computers without Steam installed and is properly VAC secure. Unfortunately I've run into a crash with Steamworks.NET which is being looked into, but in the mean time I'll work on Steam cloud (which will bring with it multiple character save slots) and other such things.

Yesterday and today I got tons of stuff done on Steam networking, and the bugs with Steamworks.NET are now fixed so full steam ahead! (no pun intended) As a reward for all your patience and support while I work on the networking I added a highly requested weapon in this update just for you!

Additions:
-Desert Falcon handgun:

l43Frq1.png

-Added replacement face for the question mark.
-Added recipe: 1 Fertilizer + 1 Vitamins = 1 Purification Tablets

Tweaks:
-Refilling Savage drums now requires only 3 boxes of ammo.
-Reduced Timberwolf range to 400 meters.

Fixes:
-Fixed police baton breaking boulders.
-Fixed leaning animation for other left handed people.

Today's big update is that Mac support is now out! Hopefully everything works right out of the box, but if you're experiencing issues with this please let me know on the forums!

Also due to popular request you can now rotate your ramps when focusing at the side of an existing platform. (every placeable can be rotated with right click)

The Steamworks multiplayer is now close to being 1:1 with the Unity networking, but I'll still have to do a bit more work today/tomorrow to create systems for owning objects like the player.

No update tomorrow however, as I'm turning 17! :D

Key stuff

• Mac support
  • Desert Eagle
  • Offline Mode
  • New recepies
  • Lots of progress on server browser.

ElTopo

Banned
I just tried it. It's pretty fun. It's DayZ but it actually runs well. I couldn't connect to a server and could only play single player. I'm not a big fan of games where crafting is a big focus.

Scrub questions:

How do you Craft and what are the benefits to crafting?

Is there an end goal or is it just like DayZ and you have to survive as long as you can? It would be be nice if there was an end goal of some kind.

I just tried it. It's pretty fun. It's DayZ but it actually runs well. I couldn't connect to a server and could only play single player. I'm not a big fan of games where crafting is a big focus.

Scrub questions:

How do you Craft and what are the benefits to crafting?

Is there an end goal or is it just like DayZ and you have to survive as long as you can? It would be be nice if there was an end goal of some kind.

click on "crafting" then right click on any item in your inventory, drop any item in teh crafting windows and u are ready to craft.

Also get a Can and a botled water so u can craft a canteen

Card Boy

Banned
This game as come quite a long way since this thread was made. Seriously look at these notes.

• 181 updates since release with dozens of changes, fixes and additions added to the game with each update.
  • Steam market support
  • Added tutorial
  • new Achievements
  • New maps
  • Mod support
  • Temperature system
  • Lots and lots and lots of new items to loot, craft
  • Lots of interactable objects added
  • Quality/durability added to items
  • new vehicles
  • Available on OSX and Linux.
  • Dedicated servers with both built-in admin tools and fun expansions such as airdrops or game modes provided by Sven's Rocket modding API.
  • Graphical improvements and enhancements as well as the upgrade from Unity 4 to the Unity 5 game engine.
  • Improved inventory with item space, quality and per-clothing storage.
  • Support for translations to any language.
  • Fully featured built-in level editor.
  • User created items/vehicles/objects.
  • Workshop integration for all of the above with automatic downloads from servers.
  • Cloud syncing of settings and singleplayer worlds.
  • Multiple character save slots.
  • Expanded skill system with speciality branches and per-character speciality bonuses.
  • Easier, but more complicated crafting system with skills like cooking and repairing items.
  • Deeper character customization with superior animations and details like weapons on the character model.
  • Smarter zombie AI capable of taking sneakier routes such as climbing through windows.
  • Full Steamworks networking integration for features like VAC bans, joining through the friends list and an in-game server list.
  • Building fortifications on both structures and vehicles.
  • Physics for ragdolls, items, debris and more.
  • Underwater exploration.
  • Both 1st and 3rd person perspectives.
  • Engaging survival with fishing, expanded hunting and farming.
  • Full moons trigger wave survival at midnight.
  • Zombie variety with mega zombies, crawlers and sprinters.
  • 32 and 64 bit support.
The Gold upgrade is on sale at $3.74 if you want to support Nelson
(Now the 17 year old kid)

Top Bottom