• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Up All Night" A new sitcom on NBC, Wednesdays @ 8pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
vicissitudes said:
Wasn't feeling this episode as much. Agree with the other poster that Reagan talking to strangers while in her BMW was the best part.

Still think anything Maya touches just brings down the show. I like the actress too, but the writing's not there with her character.

Also GAF doesn't really watch this show huh? :/

I thought it was the weaker of the three. Still really like it though.

NICKNACC

Banned
so is job banking on this show getting canceled? how is arrested development goin to happen with these actors busy schedules?

ivysaur12

Banned
NICKNACC said:
so is job banking on this show getting canceled? how is arrested development goin to happen with these actors busy schedules?

No, not at all. Every show goes into a hiatus for around 2 months. They're filming the show/movie then.

Mr. Bob is great, but I really wish they found something to do with Ava besides "I MISS REAGAN STOP IT BABY!" Cause, that's all she's doing. She needs to do more.

Zoe

I still think the show is funny, but I don't think I'm going to go out of my way to watch it or record it. I guess I've become spoiled by serialized comedies.

Next week looks interesting though. Wonder why they're doing that now.

SuperPac

Birth episode was easily the funniest the show's been since the debut. Kind of a shame that they went back and did this episode now instead of having it be right after the pilot but I guess it's better late than never. Since my wife and I are about three weeks from giving birth to our daughter a bunch of Reagan and Chris' conversations mirrored our own. Kinda funny. :)

VanWinkle

SuperPac said:
Birth episode was easily the funniest the show's been since the debut. Kind of a shame that they went back and did this episode now instead of having it be right after the pilot but I guess it's better late than never. Since my wife and I are about three weeks from giving birth to our daughter a bunch of Reagan and Chris' conversations mirrored our own. Kinda funny. :)

Yeah, it was hilarious. It did seem strange to me that it aired now instead of as the first episode. This show gets no love from GAF :(

My wife and I love this show. We are kinda sad that the child often takes a back seat to the drama with the TV show. My wife is also miffed that the kid is so well behaved. She thinks the timing of the jokes are a off. My favorite one was about evolution.

"My gills changed into lungs."

It was such a quick line that I almost didn't catch it the first time.

SuperPac

Zoe said:
Is there a new episode tonight? My affiliate is doing some special local programming...

It appears that there is no new episode tonight. My DVR's not recording one, anyway.

I discovered this last night while browsing On Demand at random and watched a bunch of episodes. I really like it, I think it might be my new favorite sitcom. I like how the two main characters are just a pair of nerds who are really into each other. It's sweet and rare on TV. The show overall has a quirky and original voice that I just really like a lot.

VanWinkle

Gary Whitta said:
I discovered this last night while browsing On Demand at random and watched a bunch of episodes. I really like it, I think it might be my new favorite sitcom. I like how the two main characters are just a pair of nerds who are really into each other. It's sweet and rare on TV. The show overall has a quirky and original voice that I just really like a lot.

I really like it too. It doesn't seem to have much of a following here on GAF, but I'm a big fan. Much more so of the "home" life than the work life aspect, but still.

SuperPac

Decent episode. My wife and I both think that Ava is a pretty nothing character though. Very one-note. A lot of the work scenes are some of the weakest in the show.

effzee

Wife watches it so I catch it too. Not amazingly funny but its pretty good. Last night's episode with the parents coming over was hilarious.

AnkitT

The last two episodes have been pretty good. Some very good lines. I think i'll continue watching this one.

SuperPac said:
Decent episode. My wife and I both think that Ava is a pretty nothing character though. Very one-note. A lot of the work scenes are some of the weakest in the show.
Ya I could do without her altogether. It's just way to over the top and doesn't fit in with the rest of the show. It's a shame because I usually like Maya Rudolph.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
So no one is talking about this anymore? :/ Last week's episode was rough around the edges but I loved this week's ep. FNL!

big ander

I guess I'm not sure why I'm still watching this. No part of it is even expressly bad, it's just boring. Every chance they get to add an interesting supporting character is ruined. Chris and Reagan hating everyone is getting old, especially when the writers have to come up with random reasons that only make Chris and Reagan more unlikable. A lot of the jokes are months old in addition to being unfunny (how brave to take on dubstep!). Applegate and Arnett still have some wonderful chemistry at times, but there are no laughs. I'm probably done after the season.

Enco

Meh.

Watched the first couple of episodes for Will Arnett but the show sucks. Really boring. Nothing happens and Ava or whatever she is called is infuriating. Her face makes me want to punch someone and her character just sucks. So yea, no watch.

G0523

I completely agree with Big Ander. This show isn't bad but it's not good either. It's boring. For some reason, I've watched every episode this season (watching them all online instead of whenever the fuck NBC put it on helps a lot) but every time I watch I wonder why. Nothing interesting ever happens and whenever it seems like something will, it doesn't. If this gets cancelled I won't miss it.

My wife and I like the show, but we won't be surprised when it's canned. The last episode sucked, and the baby is a non issue if it helps the story. It's only mildly interesting because we have a 16 month old so some of the situations mirror our own, but the loss of Earl kinda kills it for me.

Zoe

Did Will Arnett become a health nut in between seasons or something?

Guess he had to make up for losing Amy Poehler's breasts.

SuperPac

The wife and I watched the first episode of season 2 and I do not remember anything that happened except they took Ava's show off the air. I don't remember how it ended up though. And yeah, Will Arnett is looking a bit sickly honestly.

Shame - I really enjoyed some of the episodes in Season 1 (especially the Birth episode). But as they've gotten more and more away from the parenting stuff my interest has waned.

G0523

So for some strange reason (maybe it was curiosity) I watched the first two episodes of the new season recently. It's still really boring! Ava's show is cancelled...which is odd because the show's premise was having Reagan work there and be a mom at home. That and the fact that they changed the setting to talk show halfway into development. So to get rid of it now is like admitting defeat that the talk show premise just sucked. Also, no show ever gets cancelled last minute like how the talk show was. There are usually discussions leading up to the renewal/cancellation and the people actually working ON THE SHOW know how popular (or unpopular) it is. So to just have it get cancelled at the last minute--to the point where the STAR of the show and her main producer had no idea--is completely unrealistic.

Also, Missy is gone (she was kinda nice to have around) and we now have Reagan's brother for no reason at all! He just sort of appeared out of nowhere remodeling Chris and Reagan's bathroom and he's supposed to be a full-time cast member?! Really?!

As far as the second episode went, it was kinda better since we saw Chris and Reagan adjusting to their newish lifestyles. (Chris going back to the law firm was a good idea, but having him quit after a day was really stupid.) But apparently the two couldn't adjust after a DAY and were freaking out to the point where Reagan accidentally locked herself out of the house, leaving the baby inside. And instead of calling Ava (even though she was in conflict with her) she called her husband who was busy closing a deal. But then she decides to go into the house through a small bathroom window to get to the baby and ends up getting stuck. Ava appears out of nowhere and pushes Reagan through the window and the two somehow magically resolve their friendship. I did like how Chris and Reagan finally stood up to their neighbors and that yappie dog (Really?! A pity party for a dog who's barren?!) but they ended up looking like jerks and screwed up that as well.

With its low ratings and absurd/boring stories, (I never thought I'd see the two adjectives used together to describe anything.) I'm now happy to see this show well on its way out. Christina Applegate, Will Arnett, and even Maya Rudolph deserve much better than this. Hopefully they'll all find something worth working on but this show certainly isn't it.

The only thing I liked about season 1 was Ava's show and Maya playing Ava. The parenting stuff was lame and amateurish. The only time the show excelled was in Ava's offices. Now they've removed the best part, leaving behind all the worst parts. They replaced the awesome, insane Missy with Reagan's boring brother. Yawn. Just cancel it now and build a show around Maya.

Zoe

(huh, apparently I missed some episodes last season without realizing it)

I just noticed that Kevin and the show's boss are MIA as well. I really don't think they needed to change so much.

big ander

I dropped the show because it was boring but I don't get this huge overhaul. the problems were never on a setting or cast level. they were on a writing level. You can't drastically change everything but that and expect the show to suddenly be good.

Ugh, I don't like this at all. I really really like Up All Night, loved the first season (maybe because I'm a new parent but that show SPEAKS to me), thought the second season lost a little something but is still funnier than most of what's on TV. I can't even begin to imagine what this show will be like in multi-camera, it just seems... ugh.

Fucking Jack Donaghy strikes again.

Oh boy. Not sure what to think of this. Obviously Maya will be good at the studio audience stuff, but I'm not sure about the others. Christina was great hosting SNL this year though. Just seems like a weird choice, but it makes sense if their goal is to have a full night of live audience shows next season. I personally hate hearing an audience. My favorite comedies (League, Parks, 30 Rock, Community) all are without canned laughter.

I enjoyed season 1 a lot, but mostly when it focused on the Ava show. Replacing assistant Missy with that boring ass guy that's Reagan's brother has been a huge bust. He brings nothing but boredom to the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom