• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Ubisoft titles seemingly removed from Steam worldwide [edit: they're back]

Panda Rin

I'd rather play ubi and EA titles on console than install Uplay & Origin on my computer. Uplay is still a pain on steam titles IMO.

This sounds really idiotic, but I am in the same boat despite Uplay already launching when starting a Ubisoft game on Steam. I am seriously considering getting DA:I and Far Cry 4 on PS4 simply because I can't buy it through Steam.

Hasney

This sounds really idiotic, but I am in the same boat despite Uplay already launching when starting a Ubisoft game on Steam. I am seriously considering getting DA:I and Far Cry 4 on PS4 simply because I can't buy it through Steam.

I'd be waiting for sales either way, but I'd be the same. All my PC gaming is done through Streamin on Steam and adding an extra layer of BS really takes away from that.

Plus, PS4 has a lovely pre-owned market...

Hmm so I would be bothered by this, but I already can't tolerate uplay so it really changes nothing for me. I can deal with origin... but uplay can go straight to hell. Good thing I just have a passing interest in Far Cry 4 and don't really care about anything else they make these days.

fijim

Banned

Shit I am thinking of BUYING as PS4 for this reason.

AkuMifune

Banned

And I have inside information on the tactics Gabe used to negotiate the deal.

6ebeb1b6b68aa36a79b66740e07f74bc.gif

LeleSocho

Banned
Good fucking riddance.
It's nuts that i have to open a drm-driven program through a drm-driven program to fucking play a game.
I wish Valve would put a rule that shit like this can't happen so everyone who's ruled out can see how insignificant their sales are without the Steam monolith.

Edit: They are back... too bad.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Weird, if it all went down accidentally you would have thought someone at Ubisoft would have at least thrown out a quick Twitter comment that they are working on it and it will be fixed soon. Probably would have saved their community and customer service people from having to wade through a ton of spam telling Ubi to go fuck themselves.

Rezae

I don't know whether to be happy with Ubisoft for bringing them back up (if it was even their doing, on purpose or not), or to remind myself that they are the current "villain" of the PC gaming industry and I shouldn't fall for their trickery.

Not being available in the UK isn't new thing, right?
That's what I gathered anyway.

Well, the thing about Ubisoft games not being available at launch in the UK is not a new thing. It has happened several times in the last few years and Ubisoft has never given a good reason why.

The games would randomly appear a month or two after it's release.

Dr Dogg

Not being available in the UK isn't new thing, right?
That's what I gathered anyway.

Nah it's been like this with the marquee titles for a while. ACIII, Far Cry 3, Black Flag, Watch Dogs, Unity, Far Cry 4, The Crew all absent only in the UK. Maybe more but I'm about to chip for the day and feeling too lazy to look.

Smaller titles have been fine like Rayman Legends, Child of Light and Valiant Hearts. Even AC Liberation was up for preorder. I guess it's the digital distro only nature and/or later releasing on those titles.

I wonder if this little window gave them some very valuable data.

Don't let the interns manage the Steam Partners account page.

Bl@de

Why do I feel that this was a market research action to test how people react and use that information to calculate projected losses/gains?

Bizzquik

Don't leave us (steam) again, Ubi..!

Glad they're back.
Now go talk to EA and make them come back, too. (It might make me actually buy an EA game from 2012, finally.)

Parsnip

Nah it's been like this with the marquee titles for a while. ACIII, Far Cry 3, Black Flag, Watch Dogs, Unity, Far Cry 4, The Crew all absent only in the UK. Maybe more but I'm about to chip for the day and feeling too lazy to look.

Smaller titles have been fine like Rayman Legends, Child of Light and Valiant Hearts. Even AC Liberation was up for preorder. I guess it's the digital distro only nature and/or later releasing on those titles.

So it's some kind of retail exclusivity thing? Someone mentioned GAME before. Are the games digitally available for pre-order in other places, or is it just Steam where you guys are shafted?

So they are back on Steam in the US... just... okay, I'm surprised, Ubisoft... unless it's just another stunt?

I basically call bullshit on them, if they say anything that is. They removed them without telling anyone... and then just to bring them back. I'm sure they realized how much of a fuck up it was to even think of doing that.

Dr Dogg

So it's some kind of retail exclusivity thing? Someone mentioned GAME before. Are the games digitally available for pre-order in other places, or is it just Steam where you guys are shafted?

Just Steam, Origin is still up and all the etailers have Uplay keys being sold. Whether it is GAME or not is just speculation but looking at it over a period of time it's almost too convenient where they are selling exclusive editions that offer Uplay keys so Steam would be competing with them. Cut off Steam and there's added value to GAME's retail offerings over every other place to pick up Ubi's titles with physical tat and exclusive DLC and preorder promos for every Ubisoft title not available to preorder on Steam. They have said in the past it's not them but of course they'd say that, even if they were forcing the issue.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

It's supposedly to do with some retailers (more or less Game) refusing to stock their games if they don't keep their games off steam for purchase for a limited time so as they can maximise their sales. Ubi actually think they might do it and so bend over for them.

There's never been an official reason and Bethesda and THQ used to do the same thing with their titles as well but it's only Ubisoft that continues to do it.

What makes it even funnier is that Game sell Steam credit lol.

Parsnip

Just Steam, Origin is still up and all the etailers have Uplay keys being sold. Whether it is GAME or not is just speculation but looking at it over a period of time it's almost too convenient where they are selling exclusive editions that offer Uplay keys so Steam would be competing with them. Cut off Steam and there's added value to GAME's retail offerings over every other place to pick up Ubi's titles with physical tat and exclusive DLC and preorder promos for every Ubisoft title not available to preorder on Steam. They have said in the past it's not them but of course they'd say that, even if they were forcing the issue.
It's supposedly to do with some retailers (more or less Game) refusing to stock their games if they don't keep their games off steam for purchase for a limited time so as they can maximise their sales. Ubi actually think they might do it and so bend over for them.

There's never been an official reason and Bethesda and THQ used to do the same thing with their titles as well but it's only Ubisoft that continues to do it.

What makes it even funnier is that Game sell Steam credit lol.

That sounds super scummy.

Honey Bunny

I wish someone would do some digging to tell us what this is all about, the battleground between digital distribution services on PC is pretty interesting stuff. It's like a console war within a platform. Certainly fertile ground for clickbait - pay attention Gawker.

I mean we need a Valve mole just in general. Someone needs to tell us about HL3, Steam release politics and exactly how much they spend on hookers and blow per week.

The last 'big' bethesda cross platform release that if suspicions are true this would have affected was Dishonored, which was released slap bang in the middle of Games bankrupcy worries.
THQ are obviously bust.
Ubisoft are the only publisher that have been releasing 'big' cross platform day and date titles that a retailer could conceivably want to try and push console versions over PC versions by cockblocking a Steam sale.

The thing is that ea has battlefield, one of the biggest PC shooter franchises and you need origin for it.

Ubisoft has shitty pc ports that require twice the hardware they should and loaded with DRM crap.

The thing is that ea has battlefield, one of the biggest PC shooter franchises and you need origin for it.

Ubisoft has shitty pc ports that require twice the hardware they should and loaded with DRM crap.

Like I said way back on page 12:
EA at least had some unsquandered Battlefield goodwill left amongst PC gamers, and of course the behemoth franchise that is The Sims when they launched Origin.

Ubisoft have a history of shit ports, delayed PC releases, and fuck-you-in-the-ass DRM.

Let's see how this goes for them.

1. My ISP doesn't meter downloads from Steam. When you're talking multiples of 10GB, that's important.
2. My friends are on Steam.
3. I'm relying on Steam to be around for a long, long time. I'm not going to provide financial support to any business that might threaten that.

d00d3n

An error was encountered while processing your request: This item is currently unavailable in your region
HAHAHA yeah, right back to normal Ubi

What region did you try to buy from? What country?

Is there a way for people to test if they can actually buy the games without spending money? If not, has anyone else tried to buy now that the games "are back" and failed? People outside of the UK encountering this are of particular interest.

I personally can't test it (from Sweden in my case), because I am a Steam preorder nerd for most Ubi stuff this autumn.

Top Bottom