• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[UPDATE: IT'S A BUG (for now)] Apparently, Ubisoft is experimenting with pop-up ads in the middle of video games now

PR statement from Ubisoft:

Further clarification via The Verge:

Whether it's arbitrary cuts, $75 horse armor, shrinkflation, pay-to-win, or premium early access, game publishers the world over are desperately trying to squeeze every last bit of profit possible for their shareholders. But one publisher may have just tipped things a little bit too far with this latest goof.

XboxSquad.fr reporter and co-founder @Fab_XS_ shared this video on X (Twitter), depicting what appears to be an ad for Assassin's Creed Mirage before the menu screen in Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

The video shows the player opening up the menu screen, only to be greeted with a gigantic Black Friday ad for Assassin's Creed Mirage, 20% off. I wouldn't mind hearing about such deals if I was actually searching for them (like our own Black Friday 2023 gaming deals live blog!) but, when I'm just trying to chill on the sofa and assassinate some dudes? Maybe not.

We're downloading Assassin's Creed Odyssey to see if we can replicate the ad at our end right now, but the clip shows no obvious signs of fakery or forgery. Plus, it's also not the first time Ubisoft has attempted to inject "ads" into its menus, with deals for in-game accelerators appearing alongside gameplay elements across some of its titles. However, a full-screen pop-up for one of its titles in the middle of your game really does take it to the next level.
Ads are commonplace in the middle of gameplay on mobile devices, typically in free-to-play games, as part of their business models. Similarly, we put ads on our web articles too, since we're not charging for access. By contrast, Assassin's Creed Odyssey was a fully-priced title and to patch these in post-launch feels aggressive and greedy.
I, for one, desperately do not want this to become the norm, and I suspect many others will not want it to become the norm either. Premium video games are supposed to be an escape from marketing bombardments, and it's hardly as if Assassin's Creed Odyssey is a multiplayer service game with expensive servers and matchmaking systems that need to be maintained.

If this video is indeed real (and there's no reason right now to think it isn't), all it represents is bare-faced greed. Even if it is fake, I suspect publishers would salivate at the concept of normalizing this type of system. Let's not allow them to do so.

Update via The Verge:

image.png

Last edited:

SCB3

And remember EA gets a lot of shit for their practices, don't let Ubi off

Its a shame as they can make good games, but management ruin them

Banjo64

cumsessed
Honestly, these companies that do stuff like this, or Xbox with their splash screen ad, or Sony and Xbox using woke sensitivity reading companies for investment etc - if you don’t like it the only answer is vote with your wallet.

That doesn’t mean boycott until a ‘special game’ like TLoU 3 comes out, it means complete and utter boycott.

Put your money somewhere good, there’s hundreds of better games every year than AC.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
future of gaming.
Dont be surprise if theres ads for certain political parties in video game in the future LOL

Hudo

So, I wonder how the IP will be sold when Ubisoft goes bankrupt. Do you guys think they're going to sell them off one-by-one or in bulk? I am kinda itching to see whether Michel Ancel could buy Rayman back.

digdug2

This is so obviously a bug with a pop up from the Ubi app - get a grip lol..
Yes, it was so incredibly obvious that you're the only one calling it a bug. I've been on the fence about Ubisoft for a long time, but this may be the final nail in the coffin for me. If you're disrupting a game that I paid full price for 5 years ago to advertise your newest schlock, you can get fucked.

n111ck

Yes, it was so incredibly obvious that you're the only one calling it a bug. I've been on the fence about Ubisoft for a long time, but this may be the final nail in the coffin for me. If you're disrupting a game that I paid full price for 5 years ago to advertise your newest schlock, you can get fucked.

Maybe I'm the only one immune to twitter-bated nerd rage..

Shane89

That's unacceptabe.

I'll be more than fine it they put ads ln-game using signs etc....but this sh!t?? Really? Fu** them.

Sybrix

Ubisoft work so hard on fucking themselves over.

ALL there games in the last 10 years have been mediocre at best and complete garbage at worst, they are so bland, boring, so middle of the road..... urgg.

They used to release decent games from 2000 to 2010, in the last 10 years it's been awful.

digdug2

Ubisoft work so hard on fucking themselves over.

ALL there games in the last 10 years have been mediocre at best and complete garbage at worst, they are so bland, boring, so middle of the road..... urgg.

They used to release decent games from 2000 to 2010, in the last 10 years it's been awful.
yHRLdhU.jpg

Ads, in a fucking fully priced game. Of course, it's ubishite or peEA doing the honors of being the first to implement this scumbaggery.

This is so obviously a bug with a pop up from the Ubi app - get a grip lol..

Maybe I'm the only one immune to twitter-bated nerd rage..

Just seen the pop up whilst playing Odyssey - really useful as allowed me to purchase Mirage without leaving the game - nice one Ubi - more please... :messenger_beaming:

You don't work for Ubisoft at all, clearly...

So you pay full f*cking price for a game to get reward with in game ads you can't even skip and neither sign an agreement contract? I think Ubi is ready to sell gamers a sub to unlock ads, a game you've just paid 90 euros or even more...

At this, people want to play this Ubi title... pirate it, don't buy it, you'll get ads anyway! It should be free!

Last edited:
Top Bottom