• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[UPDATE: IT'S A BUG (for now)] Apparently, Ubisoft is experimenting with pop-up ads in the middle of video games now

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
In fact they're confused real life doesn't throw ads in their faces all the time.
it already does though

4213E-BK-Closeup3529.jpg

lamar-cfa-atlanta-billboard.jpg

Times-Square-New-York-City.jpg

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Only way I could ever accept this is if they make the game free of charge. Completely..

BossLackey

Gold Member
Who the fuck keeps giving these assholes money!?

Why would you even want to in the first place? Ubisoft games have sucked for a long, long time.

ElRenoRaven

This is no glitch. You specifically had to code for this. Oh well good thing I've over time stopped buying Ubisoft games. Last one I bought was Fractured But Whole. So that will probably make it the last one I bought from them.

digdug2

Yes, an amazing bug that magically created code for a fullscreen banner that triggered after a button press, including screen adjustment and UI input commands to go to the store and dismiss the message.

Amazing how a few lines of code just randomly create this output, isn't it?
They didn't mean to do it. It wasn't intentional. Just a glitch, not a trial run that blew right up in their faces.

n111ck

This is no glitch. You specifically had to code for this.

So as the game was last updated in December 2021 where did the code come from.. seriously... a few people in this thread are ether just stupid or professional victims but surely it's time to move on.. lol......

King Dazzar

I would not be shocked if the code had been in there since 2021. It just had to be switched on.
Its normal to have ads get added on Ubi games to the main menu of their games. They're claiming that this was the original intention, but due to a "technical error", it appeared as it did. I wonder as many of their games have an online changeable feed for their in game store, that, that's how it got pushed through, be it error or cynical testing.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
The tweet says it was supposed to just in the MAIN MENU of the game to advertise Mirage. NOT random ads. Also was NOT supposed top be in-game. Ads won't be in-game as that was an error. Nothing to see here.

Hohenheim

The last Ubisoft game I played was "Child of light", but if this shit becomes part of their games.. well, it obviously changes nothing for me. But if other publishers who actually do interesting games start doing this shit.. man, that's gonna be a blow.
Fingers crossed for this being a "get 30% off if you accept some pop up ads during gameplay" shit.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
GAF outraged over nothing? Shocked.

I don’t know how you can say it’s nothing, when we’re discussing Ubisoft doing this. Do you need to be reminded that this is the same company that tried pushing NFTs on us? That companies lie?

Even if it truly was a mistake (still crazy that they can just inject something into your game that easily, should they desire) the blowback was what’s needed.

Remember harmless horse armor? You can’t open the door even a crack, to allow these companies to get their foot in. It’s never to our benefit.

Last edited:

yurinka

PR statement from Ubisoft:

Further clarification via The Verge:

Update via The Verge:

image.png

As shown in the OP tweets, the thread title is a lie.

The popups weren't to experiment putting them in the middle of the game. They appeared due to a bug, they were supposed to appear in the main menu of other games.

Last edited:
I don’t know how you can say it’s nothing, when we’re discussing Ubisoft doing this. Do you need to be reminded that this is the same company that tried pushing NFTs on us? That companies lie?

Even if it truly was a mistake (still crazy that they can just inject something into your game that easily, should they desire) the blowback was what’s needed.

Remember harmless horse armor? You can’t open the door even a crack, to allow these companies to get their foot in. It’s never to our benefit.

Trying to reason with corporate shills? Good luck.

Pop

The popups weren't to experiment putting them in the middle of the game. They appeared due to a bug, they were supposed to appear in the main menu of other games.
You and others are so naive

This is why our societies are the way they are. Clueless and soft

Shocked Uh Oh GIF

Joking aside, I've asked the mods to add some clarity to the thread headline since as you should know regular users can't change it. That said, I did update the OP with all the new info that has come in from UBI PR and The Verge.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

Maybe I'm one of the few who thinks Ubisoft makes some pretty damn good games.

Heck, I enjoyed Mario Rabbids even more than Odyssey.

Top Bottom