• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated numbers show PS4 selling twice as much as XB1

Status
Not open for further replies.
People act as if the likes of CoD, Assassins Creed, Fifa, etc aren't the real system sellers. Xbox 360 coasted on 3rd party software peeps. As did the Ps2 to a lesser extent.

omonimo

Banned
It begins. I was just at work the other and a guy came in with some buddies and was looking at the PS4 section. He asked if there was anything special coming with CoD: AW and I told him about the AW Xbone bundle. He got really excited when he heard it had 1TB and other features you can't get on PS4. He comes back the next day with his PS4 and games and trades them all in, saying his buddies will be trading in their PS4s for Xbones too. You all laughed at the Xbox One when it first came out, but let's look at the facts. Xbox One has:

- the best exclusives (Halo: MCC, Sunset Overdrive, NFL Network)
- the best controller
- the best media apps
- the brightest future
- the most fun per each hour spent playing a game
- the best network infrastructure powered by expensive cloud servers
- the cheapest consoles

compared to the PS4 which has:

- the best graphics (who cares, gameplay>graphics)
- the most indie games (who plays indies?)
- the worst controller
- the worst network infrastructure ran by monkeys
- the worst network security imaginable
- the most rabid bunch of fanboys ever seen
- the most arrogant executives

When you stop and compare the pros and cons for each system, can you really blame those guys for trading in their PS4s with all the broken promises and stupid pictures of tubs for a Xbox One? Jump in GAF.
uh. Very optimistic.

Look. The playstation patforms have always had a lower proportion of shooter fans than xbox.

I stands to reason that outside the intial hype, a disappointing shooter title will have shorter legs on the PS4 dispite the gap in userbase.

Add in the problems (and perception of problems) with PSN, it stands to reason that Microsoft probably are picking up the bulk of tail end destiny sales.
Well, there's no reason to speculate, because we'll see the numbers next NPD.

Until then, all we have to go off is last month's numbers.

ps4vsxb1-update.002.jpg

Damn...

"The battle for 2nd/3rd place is moot."

Sony did a as good job as they could, meaning that they they have supported PS3 for too much.

Only in 2013 they released GT6, God of War Ascension, The Last of Us and Beyond Two Souls [and Puppeteer]. Almost all of those games sold poor to OKish [TLOU was major hit], and cold have been a major heavyhitters if devs targeted PS4 launch window.

Instead, Sony spend 2-3 years of QD, SM and PD dev time on those games, while leaving only KZ:SF, Knack and Infamous for the PS4 launch window.

MS on other hand had very poor 1st party development in last years of X360.
I'm certainly not going to disagree. I tend to drop the previous generation quickly once a new Gen comes so even though I acknowledge that Sony did an excellent job supporting PS3 even up to this point, I personally was ready to move on. I still think the Xbox one is suffering from the lack of first party output the last few years leading up to the Xbox One.

One reason Im still very optimistic from this Gen is that we haven't seen much from either companies first party studios. most the exclusive games so far have been 3rd party studios being published by Sony and MS. Sony no doubt has a ton of projects we don't even know about and I suspect MS has a few though I think MS have shown most of what is coming in 2015 and 2016.

It begins. I was just at work the other and a guy came in with some buddies and was looking at the PS4 section. He asked if there was anything special coming with CoD: AW and I told him about the AW Xbone bundle. He got really excited when he heard it had 1TB and other features you can't get on PS4. He comes back the next day with his PS4 and games and trades them all in, saying his buddies will be trading in their PS4s for Xbones too. You all laughed at the Xbox One when it first came out, but let's look at the facts. Xbox One has:

- the best controller
- the best media apps
- the brightest future
- the cheapest consoles

- the worst controller

When you stop and compare the pros and cons for each system, can you really blame those guys for trading in their PS4s with all the broken promises and stupid pictures of tubs for a Xbox One? Jump in GAF.

You make solid points. I think we should hear him out, fellas!

Cess007

- the best controller
- the best media apps
- the brightest future
- the cheapest consoles

- the worst controller

I will just sit here and wait to see how many people fall for this, Wynnebeck :p

But that's kind of part of the point, right? It doesn't matter that the PS4 is going to crush the others, the XBO isn't going to be missing out on titles. It's not like the PS2 era where a 'AAA' game can be exclusive, because the amount of Xbox only owners was small enough that you could just comfortably write them off.

The libraries will be so similar, lots of people will only buy one, and they're so similar technology wise, that it'll always be worth making XBO SKUs.
Well yeah. I was kinda agreeing with you and musing aimlessly at the same time

Rad-

People say that, but is there any real reason to think a generation is hurt by dominance? Last generation was the only close one really. It wasn't notably better to me, in fact, it was the worst.

Yes. Compare PS2 era to last gen as far as evolving the platforms go. The difference is a night and day in favor of last gen (online space, operating systems etc). Stuff like PSN+ wouldn't be around in a way it is now if it weren't for competition from Live.

Source? Or i guess you just made it up

From Sony PR from September NPD:

According to Activision internal estimates, the PS4 system is the #1 platform worldwide for Destiny based on units sold through as of October 4, 2014.

As others have said, standalone software-wise Destiny sold more on XOne, aided by the fact that each copy MS "gave" away counted as a sale. Meanwhile, the copies bundled with PS4 did NOT count as a sale. So, yes, at least last month, more people got Destiny on PS4 than XOne, despite NPD showing it sold more on XOne.

Sony also says PS+ subscribers have doubled since Destiny launched (obviously due in large pat by new hardware buyers).

enjoy having nothing to play this Christmas then everybody!

L99u7tU.gif

Pretty damn nuts if you really let it sink in.

and LOL at all the people taking John seriously and quoting him to repeat what the other 40 people in front of them already said. Come on guys :p

I will just sit here and wait to see how many people fall for this, Wynnebeck :p

Probably as many as did with John's post, sadly.

dakun

Last generation brought a ton of innovation for online gaming. It also forced Sony get their shit together for PSN. Sony's network is still not the best. I think for consumers, we need companies fighting for our dollars.
They still do fight for our money though. In fact the opposite of what you are saying is true. One company dominating for a generation means other companies have to up their game and be innovative and deliver quality entertainment.
I would say that the 360 (In the US) and wii dominating the PS3 only benefited gamers when Sony decided to up their game mid generation and do us right with the PS4
Just like MS upped their game with the 360 after being destroyed by the PS2

Vizzeh

Banned

- the best controller
- the best media apps
- the brightest future
- the cheapest consoles

- the worst controller

Man, half of that is completely inaccurate and based on your opinion. You cannot present that as fact. (Clearly having a laugh/trolling lol)

Destiny selling a lot more on Xbox One.
Despite the double digit millions Sony invested in the title.

Just throwing that stat out there for fun.
Console hardware sales don't always tell the full story for the industry as a whole.

Just talking about US for now

FALSE

hook-line-sinker lol

DieH@rd

Banned

- the best controller
- the best media apps
- the brightest future
- the cheapest consoles

- the worst controller

I am disappointed in you. You missed to mention:
vnroX5x.jpg

orochi91

- the best controller
- the best media apps
- the brightest future
- the cheapest consoles

- the worst controller

This is awesome :D

So many folks fell for it.

Console hardware sales don't always tell the full story for the industry as a whole.

This doesn't tell a whole story even if it's true which I don't think it is. That could be because X1 owners feel like they have less quality things to choose from, for example. Not saying that's the case, but this seems like a long term partnership. PS can't wipe away the MS/Bungie chemistry in one day. But certainly Destiny has done better on PS4 than it would have done without the partnership.

Just a point.

You do realise that John Harker has access to NPD data right? And probably a bit more besides.

He is one of the "Gaffers in the know" that Aqua often alluded to

He probably knows what he is talking about.

And no I dont think he will ever give out numbers. Not his style. Just a hint now and then.

People act as if the likes of CoD, Assassins Creed, Fifa, etc aren't the real system sellers. Xbox 360 coasted on 3rd party software peeps. As did the Ps2 to a lesser extent.
This. I seriously believe people are paying attention to game specs. Having better performing multi-platform games can be a huge plus for many people.

Blobbers

This is bad, actually. The Xbox One is trailing way too much. The government should buy 5 million XBox Ones so the brand can get back on track and once again start to push Sony to try and improve their own business and software infrastructure.

Y'know, for competition. It is good (the competition).

Weep for MS?, of course not, they should be in a worse position than they already are if we lived in a just world, Wii U should be 2nd place. PS4 is rightfully taking the top spot so i won't complain... much.

Must be a bummer for MS but it keeps them active. If XB1 had PS4 sales there's no way we'd see stuff like the firmware updates and all the 180s.

onQ123

No it's not you didn't include the bundles.

Jomjom

Banned
This doesn't tell a whole story even if it's true which I don't think it is. That could be because X1 owners feel like they have less quality things to choose from, for example. Not saying that's the case, but this seems like a long term partnership. PS can't wipe away the MS/Bungie chemistry in one day. But certainly Destiny has done better on PS4 than it would have done without the partnership.

Nah it doesn't really make any sense. I don't get his caveat of console bundle copies of Destiny were sold to the publisher (i think he meant console holder?) and not to the consumer. Yet free copies that are obviously subsidized by MS are somehow purchased by the consumer. HUH?!

But hey maybe I'm not seeing it from the right "perspective" or I'm not having enough "fun" from whatever he's tossing out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom