• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated PSVR unit announced

Decider

Don't really feel like I'm missing out and I don't think this upgrade is aimed at me either. I don't have a 4K set and the workaround seems cheap for when I finally take the plunge. I've been having my fun with RE7, Tethered and... er, Summer Lesson over the last year. A cheap set of integrated earbuds isn't going to make me regret being an early adopter when I'm already nabbing my wife's noise cancelling headphones every time I play Polybius.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Just in case I can get a standard PSVR for cheap when this hits the market: The only difference for non-pro owners is "slightly less cables", right? Don't care about the headset since I'd use headphones anyway, and HDR is only for Pro?

Iacobellis

The moment I saw Sony go ahead with the breakout box that followed the design of the PS4 after releasing the Slim and Pro, I knew an updated mode had to be inevitable.

I don't think mine's obsolete at all. I do hope there is some trade in discount or something cause I would love for mine to have the HDR passthrough.

But it needs to be a big one. Paid $500 for the bundle, hope I can get at least a little bit of a good deal.

Feel like hoping for a trade in deal is highly unlikely but it would be a nice surprise

I'm more than likely buying one finally in December/January so the passthrough update/fix is a very, very welcome change.

I think it sucks for existing owners that they can't just swap the boxes but that's that early adopter 'tax'.

RoyalFool

Banned
Hope the new box also fixes the hdmi handshake glitches on the pro.

Wonder if they've done anything to the headset gyros to help with the drift, feels like it should be an easy enough hardware fix to stop it getting as bad as it does, surely even the camera can realise I'm not 180 degrees sideways.. it's baffling

Carl

old
DLHgUkDU8AAC4JW.jpg:large

new
DLHgVIOUQAAe7G9.jpg:large

Very nice. Looks much less messy than the current one

Sigh, would it really be that difficult to have made the passthrough boxes compatible? I can't justify upgrading the entire package for that one feature but a box purchase would have been a no-brainer.

emb

That's pretty cool. Seems like there are some nice convenience updates, but nothing to make me regret buying the original.

Ogni-XR21

I don't have an HDR TV so this doesn't affect me, glad for those who held out because of this and can now jump in.

But I don't see how this sours any early adopters, other than the HDR issue (which can be worked around quite easily) it's just one less cable. And to be honest I actually prefer having the headset with a short cable and the long cable with the box. Works much better for my setup as I can place the PU somewhere back in my TV rack and just have the cable with the box come out to which I can connect my PSVR which I on a shelf on a stand when not in use.

More interesting to me is that the "new" pic now has the camera included, any word on if the camera will be included from now on?

Sooooooooooo...

Is there a breakout box replacement plan for those of us who bought into it originally.

The lack of HDR pass through was apparently a mistake in design and not something they anticipated.

Edit: Fuck the answer in the FAQ. This is seriously disappointing.

muteki

Nice to see Sony continuing to invest in the platform. I don't have a 4k/HDR tv so I was never that miffed about the breakout box. I would be curious if this model has better gyro tracking so playing non-VR games or using other apps becomes easier.

kingkenny76

FFS they haven't added analog to the new move redesign.
Get your shit together Sony and release a move with fucking analog sticks
PlayStationVR-7.jpg

giphy.gif

Blam

So I'm hoping for a much better tracking system, and preferably an announcement that this will work on PC. But that's a pipe dream I'm hoping for.

FFS they haven't added analog to the new move redesign.
Get your shit together Sony and release a move with fucking analog sticks

So it is also just a quality of life refresh with microusb instead of the totally obsolete mini-usb.

New controllers with sticks with PS5 and PSVR2 then?

NolbertoS

So Early PSVR adopters are screwed?? Feels like a 3DS upgrade but now its like a $200-300 upgrade am I right?? I think Sony should allow the Ambassador PSVR consumers a gift card or something.

Gitaroo

yeah, lame as shit, unless they team up with a retailer doing trade in for a very low price. The FAQ only mention HDR, what if this doesn't pass through 4K HDR but only 1080p HDR for PS4 lol. Also looks like it only accept the proprietary headset now.

Mendrox

Is it really!!? At end of day they are both hardware that let you play games and both costs around $300-$400. If I had unlimited money I could buy both but in reality, I have choose which one I want to get. All I'm saying is Nintendo done more to convice mei to buy Switch than Sony did with PSVR. I also own PS4 for fuck sake, I think I have the right express my opinion here.

Apples and oranges. I don't get the cool VR experience with the Switch and also have no way to get that experience with the Switch. It's totally worth it and there are more than 100 games for that thing already. No you opinion does not really matter as long as you don't use VR yourself.

cakely

Nice! A new hardware revision. It's a good sign they're in it for the long haul.

I'm not crazy about the new earbuds, though. Does the new headset provide a headphone jack if you want to use your own headphones/earbuds?

Looking closely that ... might be a headphone jack on the lower, rear, left side of the unit that the new earbuds plug into. I can't really tell.

j-wood

If I already own a PS VR, can I swap out my old Processor Unit with the updated one?
Because the cables of CUH-ZVR1 and CUH-ZVR2 are different, you cannot swap the Processor Units.

Fuck off Sony. That really sucks.

So Early PSVR adopters are screwed?? Feels like a 3DS upgrade but now its like a $200-300 upgrade am I right?? I think Sony should allow the Ambassador PSVR consumers a gift card or something.

In what way are we screwed? Our PSVR worked fine yesterday. It works fine today. It will still work fine when the new one comes out.

In terms of playing games nothing has changed.

The tiny proportion of people that own a HDR TV and buy a new PSVR won’t have to swap a cable to play some games.

As a new adopter, my life hasn’t been affected in the slightest.

j-wood

In what way are we screwed? Our PSVR worked fine yesterday. It works fine today. It will still work when the new one comes out.

In terms of playing games nothing has changed.

Correct, but those of us with an HDR TV are screwed. The assumption was Sony would release a new breakout box that supported HDR passthrough that we could purchase to replace ours.

Instead. I'm not stuck with continually swapping HDMI cables unless I buy an entire new headset, and that's kinda bullshit.

Correct, but those of us with an HDR TV are screwed. The assumption was Sony would release a new breakout box that supported HDR passthrough that we could purchase to replace ours.

Instead. I'm not stuck with continually swapping HDMI cables unless I buy an entire new headset, and that's kinda bullshit.

You’re no more screwed than you were yesterday.

Sony were clear on the HDR issue since before day 1. Any assumptions are on the head of those making them.

I mean, it would be nice if Sony fixed the HDR issue. It would be the right thing to do. But some of the over reactions here have been hilarious.

Venom.

First time I've ever felt burned by an updated product announcement, this is what it should have been originally.

I bought a PSVR at at launch. If this was a spec bump with, say a better resolution, I would feel burned too. But as it is, it really is just a modification. Sure it's inconvenient if you play VR games regularly and enjoy HDR but the PSVR still plays the games the same.

j-wood

You’re no more screwed than you were yesterday.

Sony were clear on the HDR issue since before day 1. Any assumptions are on the head of those making them.

I mean, it would be nice if Sony fixed the HDR issue. It would be the right thing to do. But some of the over reactions here have been hilarious.

Actually, we are? Again, the assumption for awhile is that Sony would still support the current headset and would release a new breakout box that supported HDR, that I could purchase. I wasn't expecting it for free.

Now, we know the new HDR box isn't compatibility with existing headsets because they changed the cables. So I am in fact in a different position than I was yesterday, because now I know that unless I buy a new headset, I'll have to always swap these cables around and that sucks. It's not really an over reaction.

PJV3

Nice to see the headphones moved to a sensible location, I never understood the decision to put it on the cable.

I'm probably going to wait for a proper upgraded headset as I'm mostly happy with the current one.

No point, the cables are different on the new headset so wouldn't work. Looks like a whole new upgrade which is pretty shitty, Sony really should push out a replacement program on the PU and not expect everyone to stump up £350 again.

This... Sooooo much this.. If they don't do that I'll just live with swapping cables.

Peltz

What is the cheap work around to get HDR from the original setup without needing to physically unplug cables? Is there a good lag free HDMI splitter that could pass through HDR? I think people would feel less burned in this thread if someone could post a link to such a device.

Edit:

Damn... such a mess.

Some of these reactions are embarrassing lol. I am a day 1 PSVR owner with an HDR TV and while it remains an inconvenience to swap cables, I will continue to do so. This isn't even an upgrade as they have announced it yet. Sony hasn't screwed you are abandoned their early adopters. If anything, we have seen a really impressive push and commitment to PSVR.
Logic and reasonableness, GAF is on short supply of both.

I think I'm going to buy one now when it comes out. At first I was reluctant because of the library and Sony's commitment to peripherals in general, but I imagine if they are already doing a revised model that they are really investing in making sure the platform is successful.

Loudninja

Some of these reactions are embarrassing lol. I am a day 1 PSVR owner with an HDR TV and while it remains an inconvenience to swap cables, I will continue to do so. This isn't even an upgrade as they have announced it yet. Sony hasn't screwed you are abandoned their early adopters. If anything, we have seen a really impressive push and commitment to PSVR.
Especially when they did not upped or lower the price.

Top Bottom