• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated PSVR unit announced

majik13

What's that round button thing with a black triangular shape near the end of the cable on the back padding?

The rounded cable looks good, not sure how I feel about the stereo headset thing.

I don't have an HDR TV right now, so I'm in no hurry to upgrade.

Im guessing a place to store/stick the ear buds in, so they arent hanging.

cakely

Ah, I see the volume / mic mute controls now. And the 3.5 jack is on the headband!

Definitely an improvement, there.

This revision doesn't affect me personally but I have learned that the current state of VR headsets is much to cumbersome to use on a regular basis.

I'm also weary of the standard type of videogame genre in VR. I don't want to shoot things forever, I don't want a time limit imposed on my world building or exploration. The most interesting experiences for me have been those that transport me to another place on the planet to see how people live their lives, seeing a Broadway play from on the stage itself, or painting all around me.

HDR pass through is great for those it affects but VR really needs to find is potential. Everything doesn't need to be objective based stress inducers.

Shin-Ra

Transmitting 120Hz 1920x1080 lossless picture wirelessly without added latency isn't going to be possible, and then cheap any time soon so they seem to be reducing the drag on the cabling, both to the PU and the included earbuds.

This design (assuming reduced internal complexity) may be pushing towards an eventual RRP of $299 too.

majik13

Anyone else bummed that they didn't also announce a new camera that tracks better? Or that they didn't figure out some way to allow you to use two cameras for better tracking? I'm not asking for room scale nor am I expecting tracking that's 1:1 to even a launch bundle Oculus but just something that's better than the current PSVR tracking would be huge.

No, because this isnt really the next version of the system just a minor update revision for the current version. Current owners would be even more pissed if this came with a better camera and tracking. This update doesnt improve the VR tech in anyway compared to the current version, they arent going to update anything that would split the market or change the overall experience per each user. Its just QoL updates, and mainly a way for Sony to reduce production costs.

Those upgrades will have to wait for the actual PSVR 2

Sony killning the VR market - the PSVR is an amazing piece of kit. Jut needs a 2.0 upgrade with a better screen. I'll upgrade for PS5.

But it currently has more or less the best screen out of all the major VR headsets. Obviously the next update will include a better screen, buts its the least of PSVRs worriers. What it majorly needs is better tracking and better controllers.

Shin-Ra

Only CUH-ZVR1 users get the plug-hiding PU design!

PSVRplugcase.gif

CUH-ZVR2pu.jpg

Alec

I imagine someone will be able to get the new PPUs working with the old headsets. I'll wait for that.

Why can’t they tilt the enclosure like the PS4?

That bugs the crap out of me for some reason. I’d love to be able to just place it right beside my Pro and have it blend together.

Not really a worthwhile upgrade for me to buy a new one. I will wait to upgrade from the current model when a higher res version comes down the road.

Same. It'd be nice to have the processing unit that can pass through HDR, but I'm glad that it's just a revision until they are ready for things like higher res with PSVR2.

Heh. Such a weird design decision. I think I prefer the face of the second breakout box.

I actually find it mildly annoying when switching cables
(WHICH YOU HAVE TO DO EVERY TIME YOU WANT TO PLAY HDR GAMES)
as the thing will interfere by moving back and forth.

Hoping that the V1 gets discounted because of this! I don't need HDR.

Wasn't there already aggressive sales in the past few months? At least with bundles. Was the reasons why I picked up mine. Now I know why...

cakely

Yeah, ditto. When it's time for VR gaming, that's the box I plug the cables into. The sliding action doesn't make the process any easier.

Will probably buy this down the line with these improvements however it all depends on how finances are once I move. I’m assuming the yen price is the same as well.

However the HDR passthrough thing won’t really matter much when I go back to a standard tv since 4k HDR sets are so expensive in Japan.

Maybe Costco will get the new model and still sell it for $299 and I can grab one before I go.

Necron

Ha, just bought a discounted PS VR bundle last week (with two move controllers, camera and the VR worlds game).

Guess I know why that was discounted now. Oh well...

Wasn't there already aggressive sales in the past few months? At least with bundles. Was the reasons why I picked up mine. Now I know why...

Yeah I'm hoping for slightly more discounts. Like $199 for the headset alone would be great!

Sillution

I mean... if its just HDR passthru, its not that much of a difference..? I havent used my PSVR in so long just because of lack of time lately and also im usually playing something else that isnt Vr such as persona 5 or overwatch at the moment.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
The 1.8m figure is an estimation of current sales, and the 2.5m figure was a prediction. There's a big difference.
Point is they are not really accurate. No much different frim vgchartzzz in my eyes

Cleve

Why are people so caught up in the whole HDR thing? Most TVs aren't able to display HDR. In many cases, not even those marked HDR-capable can display it. Unless the set has a native 10-bit panel (and most don't), it won't accurately display HDR data.

There's probably a decent overlap between people that paid $500 to be early adopters on a vr headset and those that spent enough to be a early adopter on 10 bit hdr tv sets. It's just a minor annoyance I think a lot of people were hoping Sony would provide a fix for down the road.

That is part of buying stuff when it first comes out, I got the PSVR day 1 and i'm not mad.

Yeah, it's small quality of life improvements, it doesn't make anyone's headset obsolete.

RavageX

What kills me is that people complained day in and out about the HDR issue, begged Sony to fix it and now that they have....

...continue to complain.

I bought mine day one also, have a 4k TV with HDR10. I am glad to see they fixed the issue, but I don't think I'm gonna get the new one unless I come across a deal.

It's not the end of the world...

Sony changes PSVR a bit, loads of people lose their mind.

Don’t don’t change PS Move enough, loads of people lose their mind.

I love the internet.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

I love the internet.

Uhm... £349 accessory (released full well how much of a pain this would be to a non trivial amount of target customers) vs £49-59 one...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

I love the internet.

Granted, buying a new PS Move with an analog stick for $50 is a lot easier to swallow than having to spend $400 on a brand new headset just to get HDR passthrough to work.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Must admit that im very happy that I have no interest in VR whatsoever as I think it will be dead by 2020 if not sooner but in regards to PSVR, Sony should have waited a year to launch it since they obviously knew that they would releasing an updated version a year later and it sucks for those who bought one within the last year but may need to buy another one if they want the HDR pass through.

joeblow

How much would it cost for then to release a PSVR unit that's on par graphically with regular PS4 titles?
A lot more than the mass market will support. VR graphics will always be a step behind standard graphics because it requires twice as much visuals at a locked 60 fps.

On my PS4 Pro I am very happy with the way games are looking, but if you need more than it can produce, wait for the PS5 version in 3-4 years (which will then look like PS4 games in virtual reality).

joeblow

Probably a PS4 pro or a midish range PC. But due to parity reasons you probably won't see many enhanced PSVR titles.
Wrong. Over 50 PSVR games have enhanced Pro support in its first year, and the vast majority of the ones that continue to come out have support as well.

Does PSVR usable if you wear glasses? Interested in one after that Zone of the Enders 2 remaster reveal. Without glasses I'm nearsighted but I don't know how well it'd work either way.

majik13

How much would it cost for then to release a PSVR unit that's on par graphically with regular PS4 titles?

not sure I follow this question. PSVR isnt creating the graphics. Perhaps you meant what sort of upgraded Playstation HW would be needed to create VR games on par with standard 2D PS4 games?

Does PSVR usable if you wear glasses? Interested in one after that Zone of the Enders 2 remaster reveal. Without glasses I'm nearsighted but I don't know well it'd work either way.

Im Near Sighted a bit. Sometimes need glasses when watching a film in a theater, driving at night or sometimes watching TV. But I dont use glasses at all when using VR, seems fine as the screen is literally right in your face. Regardless PSVR is the best headset for wearing glasses, most people have no issue wearing their glasses with them, unless they are a really big or odd shape. The one thing to worry about is putting the lenses too close to your face, as the eyeglass and lens glass could scratch each other.

Dreez

Does PSVR usable if you wear glasses? Interested in one after that Zone of the Enders 2 remaster reveal. Without glasses I'm nearsighted but I don't know well it'd work either way.

Ya it works (you can adjust it forward and back). I have Ray ban wayfarers so big glasses btw.

Raonak

Banned
The revision seems very minor, unless you're in the vast minority of users that have a PSVR, and a 4K TV - that has HDR.

BUT it is a good indication that sony's not bailing on VR.

Realistically; probably won't be seeing a PSVR2 til the PS5

The Japanese blog post mentions the release date in Japan (Oct 14th) and improved Move controllers, which will be sold at a later date.
New Move controllers will have micro usb and will be "improved" in some ways, but there are no details yet.

Edit:
About the move part - the phrasing they used could mean that they're improving the features or it could mean that the change to micro USB is the improved feature. Hard to tell, will have to wait for more details.

oh for fucks sake, just as we're moving on to Type-C

Hale-XF11

Hopefully this gets more people on board, but it still really needs a price drop to get people buying it on impulse. Would be nice for the VR devs too since I'm sure they could really use the support.

Uhm... £349 accessory (released full well how much of a pain this would be to a non trivial amount of target customers) vs £49-59 one...

Granted, buying a new PS Move with an analog stick for $50 is a lot easier to swallow than having to spend $400 on a brand new headset just to get HDR passthrough to work.

Granted. But the sheer ferociousness (not so much here but on social media as a whole) has been incredible today.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Shin-Ra said:
Transmitting 120Hz 1920x1080 lossless picture wirelessly without added latency isn't going to be possible
It doesn't 'need' to be 0-latency transmission - if the unit was redesigned to run re-projection on-HMD, it can absorb transmission latency to a point of making it viable, especially at 120hz. In fact I expect whoever goes teethered-wireless first will do exactly this.
Now if only someone could answer why inside-out tracking headsets demo so dreadfully poorly to date - getting "that" working together with wireless would be a true room-scale solution we're looking for.

Panajev2001a said:
I'd venture a bet that move-install base far outstrips PS4 HDR-TV install base - let alone PS4 HDR-TV with PSVR install base, and existing PSVR units in channel are trivially low also.
Not to say it's not annoying - offering existing users some viable upgrade path would go a long way.

Top Bottom