• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated Vita Specs - including RAM (512MB+128MB confirmed)

KAL2006

Banned
I wonder what the Vita will actually come with

I hope it at least comes with the soft pouch, cloth and cradle, and maybe even a 4GB card to get you started.

I would of course go and buy a hard cover and a larger memory card somewhere down the line.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Some talk from Shuhei Yoshida about the RAM.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-18-sony-why-ps-vita-has-512mb-of-ram

"Part of the reason [for including 512MB of RAM] is more RAM means easier development for game developers," Sony president of Worldwide Studios Shu Yoshida told Eurogamer at Gamescom.

"But as important as that is to allow the PS Vita always to do more while the game is running in the background, or when you switch between the game and other applications or system software functionalities.

"So the reason why we were able to include something like Party, which enables cross-game voice chat, is because we designed Vita so it always has enough resources to handle something like that behind the game while it's running."

"It has been very funny," he said. "There were some rumours for the last few months. Some developer mentioned the RAM was halved. We never announced the amount of RAM, and we never changed it.

"We've been making games, right, and we've been showing the games, like Uncharted, since January. If RAM gets cut in the middle of development, there's no way we can complete the games. So I was like, what's going on?

"I got lots of Tweets saying, Sony made a huge mistake by reducing the amount of RAM. We never talked about the amount of RAM and we never cut it.

"So going into Gamescom we agreed there was no reason we should hide it, so we just added it to the specifications. We always had 512MB of main RAM and 128MB of V-RAM. Actually when you add them together, PS Vita has more RAM than PS3 [the PS3 has 256MB of XDR DRAM main memory and 256MB of GDDR3 video memory]."

Massa said:
FYI, you can already stream any video on your PS3 to a PSP anywhere in the world.

I've tried this and it is super shitty, buffers a lot and stalls for me making the video unwatchable. What I'm saying is that it should be a direct connection from the Vita to my home computer. No PS3 required, if the iPod Touch can do it... the Vita should be able to do it.

KAL2006 said:

I hope it at least comes with the soft pouch, cloth and cradle, and maybe even a 4GB card to get you started.

I would of course go and buy a hard cover and a larger memory card somewhere down the line.

lol that ain't gonna happen.

I don't think the cradle will be bundled, that's not something everyone would use enough to warrant inclusion.

And lets face it, Sony like to sell accessories.

Man

The Xbox brand has been making raw money on proprietary solutions this gen while the PS3 used open standards. Lesson learned then for Sony.

Meisadragon said:
The battery life is similar to the PSP, and the Vita doesn't have an UMD drive, so that'll help.
I don't doubt your credibility, but this will have to be a case that I have to see it to believe it. Everything about this system seems to indicate that it will be an energy sucking beast. A gloriously beautiful energy sucking beast, but still one nonetheless. Now if Sony uses some kind of special battery technology I will be more likely to believe their statement of it being on par with the psp's battery life, but all indications point otherwise.

KAL2006 said:

You are giving me nightmares again about the forced Value pack we had with the PSP. Shhhhhh, let's make sure we actually can buy a core unit this time around.

Man

AzureNightmare said:
but all indications point otherwise.
No moving parts at all is huge for battery life.
Oled screen will also help.

I believe it will pretty much be the same.

Emitan

AzureNightmare said:
I don't doubt your credibility, but this will have to be a case that I have to see it to believe it. Everything about this system seems to indicate that it will be an energy sucking beast. A gloriously beautiful energy sucking beast, but still one nonetheless. Now if Sony uses some kind of special battery technology I will be more likely to believe their statement of it being on par with the psp's battery life, but all indications point otherwise.
Their special battery technology is called making a big system so you can cram a giant battery in it.

Man said:
No moving parts at all is huge for battery life.
Oled screen will also help.

I believe it will pretty much be the same.
And those. OLED screen is a huge help.

Man said:
The Xbox brand has been making raw money on proprietary solutions this gen while the PS3 used open standards. Lesson learned then for Sony.

Proprietary solutions aren't something started with the Xbox. Sony still sells 8megs of Memory for the 11 year old PS2 for $25. Also, remember how any USB modem *used* to work then they killed it off and forced people to buy their own? Proprietary solutions were the norm until the PS3. I was actually surprised to see them go that route with the PS3 considering how much money Sony made on both the PS1 and PS2 selling proprietary stuff.

KAL2006

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
You are giving me nightmares again about the forced Value pack we had with the PSP. Shhhhhh, let's make sure we actually can buy a core unit this time around.

Well $250 is a lock, so may as well hope it comes with some shit, if I had to guess
-cloth
-soft pouch
-4GB memory card
-cradle
-preloaded demos

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Man said:
Yes, unfortunate really. I don't think we'll ever see anything like that on PS4.

KAL2006 said:
Well $250 is a lock, so may as well hope it comes with some shit, if I had to guess
-cloth
-soft pouch
-4GB memory card
-cradle
-preloaded demos

$200 was a lock for the core PSP at this point before it launched too but then the US and Europe got screwed with the forced value pack. I want to be able to buy just the core unit this time.

StevieP

Banned
KAL2006 said:
-cloth
-soft pouch
-4GB memory card
-cradle
-preloaded demos

Everything except the memory card will come true.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Billychu said:
PSP memory cards were certainly expensive :(
All memory cards were expensive back then.

I remember paying 90 bucks for a 1GB stick. I thought I was hot shit then.
The same card costs 5 bucks now.

Of course, they will be higher than regular SD cards I'm assuming. But hopefully sony can offer a 32GB card for less than 75bucks.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I think I got a 32MB card with the PSP value pack lol. Don't really remember though, it's been such a long time. There may be something like that for the Vita.

Emitan

When I got my PSP I think my 2GB card was $60 (didn't buy a PSP at launch). I can't remember how much the 8GB card I bought a few months ago cost, but I'm certain an SD card would have been much cheaper.

Meisadragon said:
I think I got a 32MB card with the PSP value pack lol. Don't really remember though, it's been such a long time.
There may be something like that for the Vita.

Yeah, 32mb was in the forced value pack. At the time, Sony cameras were all shipping with memory stick duos so if you had a camera or any other Sony stick duo you didn't need to buy the value pack but were forced to anyway :(

"It has been very funny," he said. "There were some rumours for the last few months. Some developer mentioned the RAM was halved. We never announced the amount of RAM, and we never changed it.

This has been annoying me this generation. People are willing to jump on anything that the hear, they turn around and treat it as the truth without looking into if the company themselves gave out the information.

BadWolf

KAL2006 said:
-cloth
-soft pouch
-4GB memory card
-cradle
-preloaded demos

Highly doubt the inclusion of a memory card and cradle.

StevieP

Banned
x3sphere said:
Memory cards are extremely cheap now, I see no reason they can't include a 4GB. You can pick them up for like $20 now.

Yes, because Sony is going to use standard SD cards.

KAL2006

Banned
StevieP said:
Everything except the memory card will come true.

They really need to include a memory card if they are serious about their PSN store. Every Vita game will be downloadable, as well as there being apps, video store, PS Suite and etc. Vita needs to come with a memory card if they are serious about their online. 4GB is perfect, it allows you to download any content from PSN, the biggest file being a 4GB Vita game. So the memory card should fill up fast so Sony can make extra money of bigger capacity memory cards. The just need to be able to let people download something from the store as soon as someone buys a Vita. Also whats the point showing off a 4GB memory card, who would bother buying a 4GB card seperatly, when 8GB ones are not usually that much more expensive anyway. 4GB card is most likely the card that gets packaged with Vita.

BadWolf said:
Highly doubt the inclusion of a memory card and cradle.

then what is the point having a cradle, I doubt people would go out and buy a cradle seperatly

staticneuron said:
This has been annoying me this generation. People are willing to jump on anything that the hear, they turn around and treat it as the truth without looking into if the company themselves gave out the information.

It's not just video games but every type of discussion. Someone hears something on, posts it on twitter, it gets retweeted 100 times and something gets completely blown out of proportion b/c of one stupid person.

StevieP

Banned
KAL2006 said:
They really need to include a memory card if they are serious about their PSN store. Every Vita game will be downloadable, as well as there being apps, video store, PS Suite and etc. Vita needs to come with a memory card if they are serious about their online. 4GB is perfect, it allows you to download any content from PSN, the biggest file being a 4GB Vita game. So the memory card should fill up fast so Sony can make extra money of bigger capacity memory cards. The just need to be able to let people download something from the store as soon as someone buys a Vita. Also whats the point showing off a 4GB memory card, who would bother buying a 4GB card seperatly, when 8GB ones are not usually that much more expensive anyway. 4GB card is most likely the card that gets packaged with Vita.

There won't be any substantially sized card packaged with the Vita at $249, unless they pull another forced "value package" deal at a higher cost.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
OldJadedGamer said:
At the time, Sony cameras were all shipping with memory stick duos so if you had a camera or any other Sony stick duo you didn't need to buy the value pack but were forced to anyway :(
Yup, it's annoying when that happens.

staticneuron said:
This would have never happened if Sony had revealed the RAM size early. I don't know why they chose to hide it though. Nip it in the bud, as they say.

StevieP said:
There won't be any substantially sized card packaged with the Vita at $249, unless they pull another forced "value package" deal at a higher cost.

I can see the 3G model having a 4 gig but not the $250 one.

Soi-Fong

Hmm... Well, if they truly are holding back release they better have a bunch of AAA games right on launch especially Call of Duty and Uncharted 3.

Meisadragon said:
This would have never happened if Sony had revealed the RAM size early. I don't know why they chose to hide it though. Nip it in the bud, as they say.

It could have been possible they were thinking off adding more. Maybe it wasn't finalized. There is no excuse for treating rumors as truth.

i was JUST about to ask about a cradle. thanks for the info/shots guys.

i reeeeaaaaally hope sony follows 3DS's lead by including the cradle. it doesn't even need to have speakers or anything, just at least something to prop it upright and charge it.

i'd also rather it be USB and/or AC powered because i noticed that most of my devices charge faster through AC than USB, even with dedicated USB 2.0 ports charging it. even faster than wall adapter with a USB port. (example: Samsung Galaxy S phones that come with the wall plug with a USB outlet. go buy the official cradle and notice how lightning fast it charges)

wow i sure am sounding demanding. :x

KAL2006 said:

I really hope this is true.

Meisadragon said:
Yup, it's annoying when that happens.

No then, people would be claiming that the Vita was going to have 1gig of RAM till Sony gimped it.

AzureNightmare said:
Goddamn, this thing's gonna have a battery life shorter than a fruitfly's general life expectancy. It'll be glorious don't get me wrong, but I don't its gonna be exactly "portable" in a manner of speaking.
My idea of portable, in addition to it running from a battery, is me being able to easily transport it around my apartment, and use in my car.

AC Adapter am bought.

KAL2006

Banned
demosthenes said:
I really hope this is true.
It would be crazy if there is no memory that comes with the Vita, every device in this day and age comes with at least a little memory, from a 360 Arcade, to a smartphone to even a 3DS.

KAL2006 said:
It would be crazy if there is no memory that comes with the Vita, every device in this day and age comes with at least a little memory, from a 360 Arcade, to a smartphone to even a 3DS.
The current Sony is going back to the pre-ps3 playbook. Can't sell as many proprietary memory cards when you offer built-in or pre-packaged storage.

KAL2006

Banned
H_Prestige said:
The current Sony is going back to the pre-ps3 playbook. Can't sell as many proprietary memory cards when you offer built in storage.

Not unless the built in storage is so small that it would run out of space quickly (see 3DS and 360 arcade)

KAL2006 said:
I think it's too cost prohibitive for Sony to include the memory card with the WiFi version.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'd throw a party if we get a 4 gig card packaged in. I don't want to have to shell out extra cash for one at launch. While I'd probably like a bigger one down the road 4 gigs would get me started, and I really only want one to download Super Stardust if that is indeed a cheaper downloadable title anyways. :p

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
pharmboy044 said:
I think it's too cost prohibitive for Sony to include the memory card with the WiFi version.
It should have a memory card, but the size will be very small. I'll be surprised if it doesn't.

Zoe

OldJadedGamer said:
I've tried this and it is super shitty, buffers a lot and stalls for me making the video unwatchable. What I'm saying is that it should be a direct connection from the Vita to my home computer. No PS3 required, if the iPod Touch can do it... the Vita should be able to do it.

Maybe with a Vaio...

Sylver

Banned
eWuWN.png

Fixed.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Pazuzu9 said:
Hang on... isn't this the closest thing we've ever had to a statement from Sony asknowledging that cross-game chat on PS3 is impossible/not going to happen?

How hard is it to clarify that one point?
It's been 5 years, is anyone actually still waiting for it?

iavi

Pazuzu9 said:
Hang on... isn't this the closest thing we've ever had to a statement from Sony asknowledging that cross-game chat on PS3 is impossible/not going to happen?

If you wanted to extrapolate that, you could I guess. lol. I'm still betting that the PS3 OS has an overhaul of sorts on the way to coincide with the Vita launch. That might make it! Somehow...

Mr_Brit said:
It's been 5 years, is anyone actually still waiting for it?

Most have probably given up hope by now.

TyRaNtM

Neo Member
I think that the developers says that the RAM was halved, not because the amount of RAM was halved, they were saying that, because the type of RAM isn't the same type as a console RAM (Vita RAM must be a smartphone like RAM).
So, you can have even a 1GB in RAM, but a console type RAM is better.

In resume, a 512MB Smartphone like RAM is like a 256MB console RAM or worst.

So, how much do people think the OS requires out of the 640MB RAM on Vita? I'm gonna guess 128MB and the developers have access to 512MB. Like the PS3 OS though that number can improve over time.

Spiegel

TyRaNtM said:
I think that the developers says that the RAM was halved, not because the amount of RAM was halved, they were saying that, because the type of RAM isn't the same type as a console RAM (Vita RAM must be a smartphone like RAM).
So, you can have even a 1GB in RAM, but a console type RAM is better.

In resume, a 512MB Smartphone like RAM is like a 256MB console RAM or worst.

No

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Pazuzu9 said:

Cross-game chat is the most requested feature on the PlayStation Blog Share. I'm sure they're working on it, since they made a big deal out of the fact that it's available for the Vita. But the thing is, I don't think we'll ever see it on the PS3 because of, I dunno, RAM issues, maybe? These things need to be included during the designing phase of the Console/OS, it's hard to integrate it mid-way during the console's life-cycle, I assume.

Top Bottom