• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated Vita Specs - including RAM (512MB+128MB confirmed)

Emitan

Meisadragon said:
It should have a memory card, but the size will be very small. I'll be surprised if it doesn't.
It doesn't need it. Games can save on the cart and those of us who want digital download games will buy a large capacity card anyway.

Pazuzu9 said:
Hang on... isn't this the closest thing we've ever had to a statement from Sony asknowledging that cross-game chat on PS3 is impossible/not going to happen?

How hard is it to clarify that one point?
it's definitely not. I forget who said it but a long time ago it was said that it really wasn't possible. Of course people here choose to selectively read things so everyone ignored it and moved on.

Cruzader

Banned
KAL2006 said:
It would be crazy if there is no memory that comes with the Vita, every device in this day and age comes with at least a little memory, from a 360 Arcade, to a smartphone to even a 3DS.
PSVita game carts can allow you to save your files on same game cart. If you want extra media on your PSVita, you're gonna have to spend extra $$.

Also you cant compare Vita to some other console since Vita itself is cheap for what it is meanwhile other things you listed werent for their time. Also 360 arcade comes with mandatory mem space since they made the new Dash be saved in there to not cause issues.

Sylver

Banned
TyRaNtM said:
I think that the developers says that the RAM was halved, not because the amount of RAM was halved, they were saying that, because the type of RAM isn't the same type as a console RAM (Vita RAM must be a smartphone like RAM).
So, you can have even a 1GB in RAM, but a console type RAM is better.

In resume, a 512MB Smartphone like RAM is like a 256MB console RAM or worst.
Yes 3DS and its 64MB(128) ram are pretty sad

Mr_Brit

Banned
Billychu said:
It doesn't need it. Games can save on the cart and those of us who want digital download games will buy a large capacity card anyway.
Pretty much, including anything below 16gb would be useless to the majority of people as anyone using DD will be buying several games and of course Sony won't include a 16gb card for cost reasons.

-Pyromaniac- said:
it's definitely not. I forget who said it but a long time ago it was said that it really wasn't possible. Of course people here choose to selectively read things so everyone ignored it and moved on.
Really? Was it a statement from someone directly involved with the PS3?

Gravijah

Billychu said:

The hell it doesn't. I'm a cheapass; the longer I can go without needing to buy a new card, the better.

Cruzader

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
Pretty much, including anything below 16gb would be useless to the majority of people as anyone using DD will be buying several games and of course Sony won't include a 16gb card for cost reasons.
Yea, even if they included let say 2-4GB of storage, you could bet there would be people going nuts and why it didnt have 1xGB of space built in. No one will be happy so they let the costumer choose even though its gonna be expensive. But thats also due to retail launch price. They must keep cost low to make that price and not lose too much per console.

Emitan

Gravijah said:
The hell it doesn't. I'm a cheapass; the longer I can go without needing to buy a new card, the better.
They wouldn't give us a big one. How big are Vita's carts? Would a 4 GB one even fit two games?

Mr_Brit

Banned
Billychu said:
They wouldn't give us a big one. How big are Vita's carts? Would a 4 GB one even fit two games?
Vita games come in 2GB and 4GB carts so theoretically a 4GB card could fit 2 or more games depending on their sizes.

Mr_Brit said:

It should be like digital cameras where they give you a tiny card just barely able to do one or two things and give you a taste... but you know you'll need a bigger card down the road.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Billychu said:
Yup, they won't include it because you can save games on the game cards itself. Oh well.

TyRaNtM said:
I think that the developers says that the RAM was halved, not because the amount of RAM was halved, they were saying that, because the type of RAM isn't the same type as a console RAM (Vita RAM must be a smartphone like RAM).

Console RAM isn't possible to put on a small portable for a lot of reasons, and there is nothing wrong with LPDDR 2 because for a Portable with a minuscule resolution, a high bandwidth isn't required.

KAL2006

Banned
Billychu said:

Thats the problem here, how can they be serious about PSN and selling games, apps, videos and etc when your first purchase can't even download anything. I should be able to buy something from PSN as soon as I buy a Vita. This will for sure affect sales for the digital store. Does this mean you have to go and buy a memory card just to use download apps like Facebook and Netflix, most other devices like smartphones do that from the get go, hell 3DS has a memory card and has apps like Netflix for download.

TyRaNtM said:

No it was someone talking out thier asshole and the internet eating it up.

Mr_Brit said:
Oh no! Why did you have to say that? The memories, no, make them stop! *barf*

If Sony use Netfront again I hope Vita bombs spectacularly.

Jeff, where are you???!!!!! Save us!!

1) It is too early to confirm but the PS3 GTKwebkit disclosure had libraries listed that could only be used by the Vita (geoclue).
http://downloads.snei-opensource.com/pub/webkit/ said:
$(CAIRO_LIBS) \ Cairo SVG library
+ $(COVERAGE_LDFLAGS) \
+ $(ENCHANT_LIBS) \...............Front end API for a spell checker and more. Needed because of multiple language spell checker backends
+ $(FREETYPE_LIBS) \...............Default Font Library & Pango is supposed to be included in latest version
+ $(GAIL_LIBS) \......................GNOME Accessibility Implementation Library
+ $(GEOCLUE_LIBS) \...............Vita will use!
+ $(GLIB_LIBS) \......................low level C cross platform lib (needed for just about everything webkit & cairo & Gstreamer)
+ $(GSTREAMER_LIBS) \...........Gstreamer AV library *
+ $(GTK_LIBS) \.......................GTK toolkit library Implements many of the Xwindows GDK wrapper functions without needing Xwindows or GDK
+ $(HILDON_LIBS) \..................Icons and control panels (touchscreen
+ $(JPEG_LIBS) \......................Jpeg compression picture library (Video too?)
+ $(LIBSOUP_LIBS) \................HTTP library
+ $(LIBXML_LIBS) \
+ $(LIBXSLT_LIBS) \
+ $(PANGO_LIBS) \...................International Fonts Cairo-pango = SVG international fonts eventually to be part of Freetype above.
+ $(PNG_LIBS) \.......................PNG picture library
+ $(SQLITE3_LIBS) \.................Data Base Library

+ $(UNICODE_LIBS) \
+ $(XT_LIBS) \.........................Xwindows libraries?
+ $(WINMM_LIBS) \..................Windows Multi-Media library ?
+ $(SHLWAPI_LIBS) \ wrapper functions convert the Unicode input string parameters to ANSI and call ANSI versions of functions
+ $(OLE32_LIBS)
Maybe an oversight but this looks like a cut and paste from an internal Sony working repository of libraries being used. The Geoclue listing might be a clue that these libraries are being used for the Vita also. Could also be features planned for the Vita might be implemented on the PS3 in a limited fashion (no GPS). May be needed for Viewing picture and movie GPS tagged.

There is an earlier developer slideshow stating that the PS3 and Vita would share libraries. Put that together with the latest that Vita applications will be on the PS3 and most likely both the Vita and PS3 have the same GTKwebkit and support libraries with the Vita OS somehow "optimized" with a few of the features removed.

GTKwebkit and support libraries are essentially the core of Gnome mobile Linux, all cross platform and designed to be very resource efficient. Gnome 3.2 Desktop shell uses the Gnome Mobile core libraries and is a Browser desktop.

2) Webcore is provided open source but above the API interface the application and UI are provided by the "PORT" for the target platform. So no touchscreen or physics support unless provided by the port.

mac-webkit-stack.png

The GTKwebkit doesn't support pinch and expand finger or fling or a number of touchscreen features as its designed for a Linux desktop. It's coming though.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTc3MA said:
This talk was by Carlos Garnacho, but sadly there wasn't any major announcements. Carlos basically classifies the current GNOME Shell 3.0 as being "mildly multi-touch aware." He classifies that on the basis of some features being touch-friendly while other features are in-accessible, but "nothing is utterly broken." Garnacho then commented on the basic gestures support in GNOME Shell, which currently includes moving windows, tiling to left or right, maximizing, and workspace switching. What he says would be "toppings" for the GNOME Shell support is proper desktop rotation (using either the tablet device's accelerometer or a hot-key), consistent input behavior, smart displaying of relevant options, and other items. Carlos then proceeded with a brief touch demo of the GNOME Shell.

The GNOME Shell multi-touch support should improve a great deal with a GNOME 3 on-screen keyboard, when the updates to X Input 2 (i.e. X Input 2.1) finally arrive, and when the GNOME Shell Xi2 / multi-touch branches are merged.
Physics routines were also not implemented but Sony does appear to have inertia routines in the Vita OS UI routines.

3) Vita Near is very similar to the OLPC Sugar UI Neighborhood which uses a GTKwebkit and does not have a touchscreen. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27486287&postcount=384

6a0120a85dcdae970b0128776fe6f9970c-pi

near127.jpg

Beyond the above it's speculation. Edit: Included cites to prove the above are facts.

Oppo

KAL2006 said:
Thats the problem here, how can they be serious about PSN and selling games, apps, videos and etc when your first purchase can't even download anything. I should be able to buy something from PSN as soon as I buy a Vita. This will for sure affect sales for the digital store. Does this mean you have to go and buy a memory card just to use download apps like Facebook and Netflix, most other devices like smartphones do that from the get go, hell 3DS has a memory card and has apps like Netflix for download.
It's exactly like a PS1 or PS2. You need the memory card for that.

If you just buy games on carts then you'll have room with each game for DLC and saves. You only actually need an expansion memory card if you insist on going all digital, or want to use it as a media player.

You wouldn't need a memory card for Netflix or apps, though, I wouldn't think.

I don't think the Vita will come with anything but headphones and an AC charger.

theBishop

Banned
jeff_rigby said:
1) It is too early to confirm but the PS3 GTKwebkit disclosure had libraries listed that could only be used by the Vita (geoclue).

2) The GTKwebkit doesn't support pinch and expand finger or fling or a number of touchscreen features as its designed for a Linux desktop. It's coming though.

3) Vita Near is very similar to the OLPC Sugar UI Neighborhood which uses a GTKwebkit and does not have a touchscreen.

GTKwebkit and support libraries are essentially the core of Gnome mobile Linux, all cross platform and designed to be very resource efficient. Gnome 3.2 Desktop shell uses the Gnome Mobile core libraries and is a Browser desktop.

Beyond the above it's speculation.

It's all speculation. And most of it is clear nonsense.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
TBDR punches above its weight class in IQ. Higher definitions (resolution/anti-aliasing) are more manageable when rendered in tiles, so it won't have as much of a need to compromise native resolution.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30231980&postcount=783

From a Developer PDF slide show (referenced previously) and provided by onQ123 in a thread on NeoGAF, Sony is implementing PS3-Vita remote play. It follows that the following might be supported for the Vita served from the PS3 operating as a DLNA player inside the home. I.E. Access from the home CableBox DVR and tuner, Sony or others Blu-ray/DVR boxes and more to the Vita via the PS3 connected to the home network. Edit: DTCP-IP is required and is only usable inside the home network.

LONDON, May 23, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- The Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) today announced the release of new Interoperability Guidelines for the playback of high-quality, premium commercial video. Announced at this week's Connected Home Global Summit 2011 in London, the new standard addresses the increasing demand for simplified access to premium commercial content throughout the home, including movies and network television programming. Developed in conjunction with global cable, satellite and telecommunications service providers, the Interoperability Guidelines leverage DTCP-IP Protected Streaming to make service provider content more easily available for playback across digital televisions, Blu-ray disc players, game consoles and set-top boxes.

PORTLAND, OR - July 19, 2011 - The Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) experienced unprecedented growth in the number of DLNA Certified® televisions during the first quarter of 2011, certifying more than 1,000 models in North America, Europe, Korea and Japan. The number of television models Certified by the Alliance in the first three months of the year was greater than the total number Certified in the first four years of the program. There are now more than 4,000 Certified television models available, providing consumers with a convenient way to connect and enjoy content throughout the digital home.
The unprecedented growth of DLNA I expect is because the above is coming and all recognize it's going to be a very attractive feature.

The PS3 already supports DTCP-IP and with a minor DLNA upgrade can support the above and can then remote play to the Vita making the Vita more valuable.

Oppo

Afrikan said:
I'm sure I've asked this before....but would it be possible for VITA games to do that one trick that one Nintendo DS game did with 3D depth using the camera.

this one...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWYgM1RGixM&feature=fvst

just wondering if it would be possible to play Wipeout Vita like that......poor mans 3D I guess, but I'd take it thankyouverymuch.
It's not as easy as some would make out. You'd need fairly ideal lighting at all times on the player's face to make it work. The hardware is there, but it's more of a situational/image processing problem that stops it.

PortTwo said:
It's not as easy as some would make out. You'd need fairly ideal lighting at all times on the player's face to make it work. The hardware is there, but it's more of a situational/image processing problem that stops it.

well, isn't Vita's camera is designed for low light situation?

thuway

TyRaNtM said:

OH jr. Ironic because my Junior tag has lasted me years.

Cruzader said:
PSVita game carts can allow you to save your files on same game cart. If you want extra media on your PSVita, you're gonna have to spend extra $$.

This is dumb. They should give away memory cards and promote the use of their store.

GIVE PEOPLE A REASON TO USE THE PLAYSTATION STORE....instead of reasons not to. If their hopes with Vita, as a business model, is to nickel and dime consumers with expensive peripherals (as is typical with a console business) then they're in trouble.

Curufinwe

OldJadedGamer said:
It should be like digital cameras where they give you a tiny card just barely able to do one or two things and give you a taste... but you know you'll need a bigger card down the road.

They did that with the PSP, but I don't know if there really are tiny cards anymore.

I made do with the 32 MB card until 2007 when I bought a 512 MB card for around $65 and that was just big enough for me to install P3P last year, and then I bought a 4 GB card in February for $15 so I could install Tactics Ogre.

MikeE21286 said:
GIVE PEOPLE A REASON TO USE THE PLAYSTATION STORE....instead of reasons not to. If their hopes with Vita, as a business model, is to nickel and dime consumers with expensive peripherals (as is typical with a console business) then they're in trouble.

I can understand not including memory, to keep costs down. But is there any good reason for coming up with a new proprietary memory card format instead of using SDHC?

Emitan

MikeE21286 said:
This is dumb. They should give away memory cards and promote the use of their store.

If people want to use the store, they're going to buy a card. This isn't a Nintendo system. The primary people buying it at launch will be hardcore gamers.

daoster

Has it been 100% confirmed that there isn't onboard memory? I wonder if they're holding off on announcing it till the very last minute to see if they can get the most memory as cheap as possible to keep their losses at a minimum.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
daoster said:
Has it been 100% confirmed that there isn't onboard memory? I wonder if they're holding off on announcing it till the very last minute to see if they can get the most memory as cheap as possible to keep their losses at a minimum.
If it had onboard memory, we would know by now.

chaostrophy said:
I can understand not including memory, to keep costs down. But is there any good reason for coming up with a new proprietary memory card format instead of using SDHC?
I don't know but I always assumed it was to thwart piracy. Of course there is always the tons of money Sony will make off of the cards themselves.

chaostrophy said:
YES, interleaving 4 discrete SD chips like Sony did with two in Duo Flash memory massively increases read speed to near Hard disk levels (exaggeration but you get the point). It increases cost though. So you have the primary fast system RAM and SD interleaved memory that has to be large enough and fast enough to quickly boot the Vita with OS and applications Sony feels necessary and then you could use cheaper off the shelf SD memory for games.

The PS3 early models used a Duo scheme and interleaved reading from two Flash chips.

Luigiv

daoster said:
Yeah, right from the time the system was unveiled they have said in interviews that the only included memory will be reserved for firmware and OS functions.

In a way, the 3DS is the same (you can only use a small fraction of the included internal memory for photos and DSiWare but nothing else) but at least Nintendo had the sense to throw an SD card in box.

theBishop

Banned
Krev said:
If it had onboard memory, we would know by now.

I'm inclined to agree. Since it hasn't been announced yet, maybe Sony themselves haven't decided. MicroSD or SDXC would be good. A new SD format would be expensive, but great over the long term. A new Memory Stick format would be disastrous.

Beyond the physical format, there's also the issue of filesystem. The PS3 HDD uses an encrypted filesystem, which is inaccessible from a PC. But assuming you'll have to backup games when the storage is full, Vita will have to be PC accessible. Unfortunately, there isn't a great way to do this right now. The most common FAT format is limited to files under 4GB. NTFS used by Windows is restricted by patents. Most other modern patent-free formats don't work on Windows. It'll be interesting to see what Sony goes with.

Luigiv said:
Yeah, right from the time the system was unveiled they have said in interviews that the only included memory will be reserved for firmware and OS functions.

In a way, the 3DS is the same (you can only use a small fraction of the included internal memory for photos and DSiWare but nothing else) but at least Nintendo had the sense to throw an SD card in box.
It's not being included to bring the price down. If Sony included a card, price would go up then people would complain Vita costs too much. It's naturally easier to get people to buy something at a lower entry price, then having people pick up accessories later (like MS did with 360).

theBishop said:
I'm inclined to agree. Since it hasn't been announced yet, maybe Sony themselves haven't decided. MicroSD or SDXC would be good. A new SD format would be expensive, but great over the long term. A new Memory Stick format would be disastrous.

Beyond the physical format, there's also the issue of filesystem. The PS3 HDD uses an encrypted filesystem, which is inaccessible from a PC. But assuming you'll have to backup games when the storage is full, Vita will have to be PC accessible. Unfortunately, there isn't a great way to do this right now. The most common FAT format is limited to files under 4GB. NTFS used by Windows is restricted by patents. Most other modern patent-free formats don't work on Windows. It'll be interesting to see what Sony goes with.
I thought the new memory card format is the same as the game card?

theBishop

Banned
AzureNightmare said:
The proprietary memory cards will be how Sony stays profitable with the Vita.

The markup on flash storage is nothing compared to the markup on digitally-distributed software.

Callibretto said:
Nope, they're completely separate and unique entities.

theBishop said:
The markup on flash storage is nothing compared to the markup on digitally-distributed software.
Yeah, unfortunately you're right here.

theBishop

Banned
Callibretto said:

The game card will have a certain amount of storage reserved for saves and downloadable content. But Sony has not announced what storage will be used for music, video, PSN downloads, etc. The game cards have only been announced in 2GB and 4GB capacity, so I really doubt that's it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Luigiv said:

I don't think they've said anything yet about whether a memory card will or won't be included in the system.

This is in their FAQ:

Q: Does PS Vita have internal memory?
A: PS Vita is equipped with the storage media slot so that users can choose what memory capacity they want to utilize depending on their use.

Q: There are two slots on the PS Vita, what are they for?
A: One is for the new game medium, the other is for storage media to be utilized for personal content and download content.

Q: What type of storage media will PS Vita support?
A: This will be announced at a later date.

Q: What are the features of the new game medium / storage media?
A:
New game medium
It can not only store the full software titles but also save data as well as additional game content data. Therefore, the game title can be concluded with one piece of card.
Users can play games by just inserting the game medium into PS Vita. (a separate storage media is not required.)
As for storage media, we will announce details at a later date.

I'm not holding my breath, but I don't think we have confirmation about this yet. On the one hand I think they ought to include a card to encourage digital consumption, on the other, any inclusion they made would be of only temporary help, and it might pee off retail a little given Sony's digital strategy. We'll see what happens I suppose.

theBishop

Banned
AzureNightmare said:
Yeah, unfortunately you're right here.

That's why I'm hopeful that Sony won't choose a proprietary format. They want you to fill this thing with gigabytes of downloaded games, Qriocity music, and PSN-distributed films. So even if mass storage is not built-in, it's in their interest to make sure storage is as painless as possible.

theBishop said:
That's why I'm hopeful that Sony won't choose a proprietary format. They want you to fill this thing with gigabytes of downloaded games, Qriocity music, and PSN-distributed films. So even if mass storage is not built-in, it's in their interest to make sure storage is as painless as possible.
The problem with this is that at E3 Sony had a new proprietary memory card on display that was clearly based off their memory stick format, but different in shape.

Edit: Here they are

playstation-vita-20110607104811904-1.jpg

Luigiv

theBishop said:

FAT32 limits individual files to 4GBs but who says that a program needs so be a single cohesive file?

Personally I could see it being either FAT32 with the same access sort of file access the PSP currently offers or it'll a proprietary file format, accessible only through Media Go. I'm personally leaning more towards the latter, given that a custom file format would be far more secure.

theBishop

Banned
AzureNightmare said:
The problem with this is that at E3 Sony had a new proprietary memory card on display that was clearly based off their memory stick format, but different in shape.

I saw that picture. The physical size of those cards is a little odd since the highest capacity shown is 32GB. 64GB MicroSD cards have recently been announced and are much smaller.

Considering that's the only picture floating around (this was a public show, right?), and there are no other details, I'm not taking it as confirmation just yet. Maybe I'm setting myself up for disappointment.

theBishop

Banned
Luigiv said:
FAT32 limits individual files to 4GBs but who says that a program needs so be a single cohesive file?

Personally I could see it being either FAT32 with the same access sort of file access the PSP currently offers or it'll a proprietary file format, accessible only through Media Go. I'm personally leaning more towards the latter, given that a custom file format would be far more secure.

I'm not saying games will come as one huge file. But PSN sells HD video too.

theBishop said:
I saw that picture. The physical size of those cards is a little odd since the highest capacity shown is 32GB. 64GB MicroSD cards have recently been announced and are much smaller.

Considering that's the only picture floating around (this was a public show, right?), and there are no other details, I'm not taking it as confirmation just yet. Maybe I'm setting myself up for disappointment.
That picture is the sole reason why I keep saying the listed price for the Vita is not the true price because when you buy the system itself you will essentially only be receiving half of its functionality until you also buy a memory card. And from the looks of that picture, that isn't any flash memory standard that I recognize. It looks completely proprietary which really kills my hype for the device somewhat.

Zoe

theBishop said:

Why can't that be a design decision? Smaller isn't always better. I know I wouldn't want to worry about losing my microscopic $$$$$ memory card because it's so small.

Luigiv

gofreak said:
I don't think they've said anything yet about whether a memory card will or won't be included in the system.

This is in their FAQ:

I'm not holding my breath, but I don't think we have confirmation about this yet. On the one hand I think they ought to include a card to encourage digital consumption, on the other, any inclusion they made would be of only temporary help, and it might pee off retail a little given Sony's digital strategy. We'll see what happens I suppose.
The amount of included memory is typically something that is announced at the same time price is announced. The electronics industry has already trained the every man to believe that memory is most important factor to price. The fact that Sony has mentioned nothing of included memory units is pretty much a confirmation in and off itself. There's always a chance Sony could still change their minds before it launches but for now, the current plan is not to include anything.

But yeah, it's confirmed that that the internal memory is system accessible only, which is what I should have said the first time (instead of included memory).

Top Bottom