• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated Vita Specs - including RAM (512MB+128MB confirmed)

theBishop

Banned
Zoe said:
Why can't that be a design decision? Smaller isn't always better. I know I wouldn't want to worry about losing my microscopic $$$$$ memory card because it's so small.

Meh, that ship has sailed. MicroSD is the standard for practically every smartphone not made by Apple. It comes in high capacity, it's fairly cheap, and it doesn't take up much room on a circuit board.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Luigiv said:
The amount of included memory is typically something that is announced at the same time price is announced. The electronics industry has already trained the every man to believe that memory is most important factor to price. The fact that Sony has mentioned nothing of included memory units is pretty much a confirmation in and off itself. There's always a chance Sony could still change their minds before it launches but for now, the current plan is not to include anything.

But yeah, it's confirmed that that the internal memory is system accessible only, which is what I should have said the first time (instead of included memory).

I agree the silence is somewhat deafening, but on the other hand they've said they'll be announcing details around memory sticks later. It'll be confirmed at TGS I'm sure.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Luigiv said:
The amount of included memory is typically something that is announced at the same time price is announced. The electronics industry has already trained the every man to believe that memory is most important factor to price. The fact that Sony has mentioned nothing of included memory units is pretty much a confirmation in and off itself. There's always a chance Sony could still change their minds before it launches but for now, the current plan is not to include anything.

But yeah, it's confirmed that that the internal memory is system accessible only, which is what I should have said the first time (instead of included memory).
That video of the guy going through Vita's OS confirms there's no usable internal memory.

Luigiv

Mr_Brit said:
That video of the guy going through Vita's OS confirms there's no usable internal memory.
Is that you backing up my claim or misunderstanding what I meant by "system accessible only"? From the way you've worded that, I can't tell.

FoxSpirit

AzureNightmare said:
The proprietary memory cards will be how Sony stays profitable with the Vita.
Yoshida said the Vita actually does break even. Or will either be a minimal loss or minimal plus.
*sogood*

theBishop

Banned
Shadow of the BEAST said:
I doubt it will ship with a memory card. It would have been announced by now if it where.

Would be a nice sweetener for the $300 unit. At the moment, I don't think 3G/GPS is enough to convince people.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Luigiv said:
Is that you backing up my claim or misunderstanding what I meant by "system accessible only"? From the way you've worded that, I can't tell.
Backing you up. I meant that whatever memory the Vita has inbuilt is not user useable e.g. to store videos, games etc.

FoxSpirit said:
Yoshida said the Vita actually does break even. Or will either be a minimal loss or minimal plus.
*sogood*
I think you misunderstood him on this. He didn't specifically say that they would break even on the hardware. His statement was moderately vague, and that Vagueness was intentional.

dalin80

Banned
It would be a little disappointing if it didn't come with even a token memory card of even 1 gig, just something to get the user started with.

FoxSpirit

AzureNightmare said:
I think you misunderstood him on this. He didn't specifically say that they would break even on the hardware. His statement was moderately vague, and that Vagueness was intentional.
I don't find it vague at all

To answer your question, we set out a goal: Yes, we're going to hit the $250 price, and no, we don't want to sell the hardware with a deficit. That's a goal we set out to do and I'm very happy we are achieving that.

Can't it be that the Vita requires transfer speeds that SD cards don't allow? Maybe Sony is worried that people will buy cheap Taiwanese cards with shit speeds and this will hamper games' performance. If everyone is on the same standard, then you won't have to worry about which card to buy. As a prospective Windows Phone 7 owner, I know what a nightmare this can be, what with all the Samsung Focus problems.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Leona Lewis said:
Can't it be that the Vita requires transfer speeds that SD cards don't allow? Maybe Sony is worried that people will buy cheap Taiwanese cards with shit speeds and this will hamper games' performance. If everyone is on the same standard, then you won't have to worry about which card to buy (as a prospective Windows Phone 7 owner, I know what a nightmare this can be).
That's actually one of the reasons given for using proprietary cards, a base storage media speed that devs can target no matter what.

Mr_Brit said:
That's actually one of the reasons given for using proprietary cards, a base storage media speed that devs can target no matter what.

Yea this was brought up when Sony first showed them off.

tsab

Luigiv said:
FAT32 limits individual files to 4GBs but who says that a program needs so be a single cohesive file?

Personally I could see it being either FAT32 with the same access sort of file access the PSP currently offers or it'll a proprietary file format, accessible only through Media Go. I'm personally leaning more towards the latter, given that a custom file format would be far more secure.

they could license (i think is free for cameras and portable devices) exFAT from microsoft. It supports over 4GB files and its better than fat32. Of course by default exfat is not support to many itterations of Windows. I think Vista and 7 support it by the start but XP SP3 got a late update or something.

I wish ps3 had exfat or ntfs support. playing HD movies hurts.

Top Bottom