• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated Vita Specs - including RAM (512MB+128MB confirmed)

btrboyev

So VITA's camera's are of shit quality just like the 3ds. That's not Sony like.

both front and rear cameras are 640x480.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Mr_Brit said:
This just makes it more curious why Resistance had such awful textures, after seeing that footage I thought it had definitely got downgraded to 256mb.

From that stream? I couldn't see anything properly, I dunno how you noticed awful textures lol.

Zen

Banned
Weenerz said:
Why not throw 1gb in it? Cell phones are coming with that, and I'm sure the extra room would help in the long run.

Cell Phones have a lot of overhead that Vita doesn't have to bother with. infinity Blade, the most Ram intensive app running on the IOS only usues 78 or so megs of Ram. Even with Phones tha are coming out with 1 gig of ram, mobiles games won't be using that for a long long time.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Meisadragon said:
From that stream? I couldn't see anything properly, I dunno how you noticed awful textures lol.
How couldn't you? Compared to every other Vita game shown the textures looked awful, in fact the whole game looked graphically awful with a shameful framerate to boot.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Thank God they did not cut the Ram. Would have been disastrous to the games.

(Imagine if Epic had not gotten their wish with the 360....*nightmare*)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Zen said:
Cell Phones have a lot of overhead that Vita doesn't have to bother with.
Well, we don't know that yet, what kind of multitasking capabilities they have in mind for the OS and such. But it's plenty either way.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
btrboyev said:

I don't think the 3DS cameras capture anything near 60fps/120fps.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
btrboyev said:

It's the same tech as pseye. They've prioritised framerate speed, low-light operation etc. over resolution.

I'm sure they COULD have higher res cameras with those characteristics, mind you, but I guess they cost more than Sony could afford to include.

Weenerz said:
Why not throw 1gb in it? Cell phones are coming with that, and I'm sure the extra room would help in the long run.

Smarts phones also have the incentive of being subsidized by a cellphone contract to offset a normal retardedly high average pricing of $500 smartphones markup, this will not. And it's still more powerful than all over them without the massive OS overhead.

Also most powerful non-contract phone on the market is Virgin Mobile's Motorola Triumph for $300 and this eats it for breakfast.

Though, I would love for Sony to go for broke and the toss in 1GB of RAM.

Meisadragon said:

Yeah, people who comment on graphics from a fucking stream or youtube piss me off. You can't judge graphics from a low quality stream. You can get a very vague idea about textures and geometry and that's it...and everyone that has two eyes should understand this.

Andrefpvs said:
OMG does this mean most mkvs will play? :eek:

PSV would need to support the .mkv file container first. something i don't see happening without a custom app or something. it's a shame my galaxy s doesn't support them, and the VLC app seems like it will never come.

Orayn

Krauser Kat said:
Really just 512? Dont cell phones already have that much. 1gb is in the bionic coming in sept.
Lots of Froyo Android phones already have 1GB. Bear in mind, though, that gaming systems have very, very low memory overhead compared to a general purpose device like a computer or a phone.

Paznos

Every cellphone that has 1GB of RAM(Only Motorola's phones) is because of the webtop dock that requires more ram.

*edit*

Ah didn't release the GS2 had 1GB of RAM guess that's the first phone outside of Motorola to have 1GB of RAM that doesn't use it for the laptop dock.

Jin34

Mr_Brit said:
This just makes it more curious why Resistance had such awful textures, after seeing that footage I thought it had definitely got downgraded to 256mb.

Because a system having much better/worse looking games than other games on the same system has never happened before.

KAL2006

Banned
Supported video
Doea this mean i can put in avi files similar to ps3 or will o have to do long conversions like psp

Kinan

gofreak said:
It's the same tech as pseye. They've prioritised framerate speed, low-light operation etc. over resolution.

I'm sure they COULD have higher res cameras with those characteristics, mind you, but I guess they cost more than Sony could afford to include.

Well they went a "standard" components route with PSV, and, unfortunately, there are no cameras with native Vita resolution directly available. HD camera would be overkill and increase the price, so the next obvious choice was VGA.

Top Bottom