• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated Vita Specs - including RAM (512MB+128MB confirmed)

Truespeed

Weenerz said:
Why not throw 1gb in it? Cell phones are coming with that, and I'm sure the extra room would help in the long run.

Probably because those "cell phones" cost $600 unsubsidized.

Man

Shuhei Yoshida just reconfirmed on twitter:

yosp Shuhei Yoshida
そう、メインメモリが512MBで、VRAMが128MBです。

Respawn

Banned
Commanche Raisin Toast said:
PSV would need to support the .mkv file container first. something i don't see happening without a custom app or something. it's a shame my galaxy s doesn't support them, and the VLC app seems like it will never come.
I can play mkv files on my Samsung Captivate which is a Galaxy S phone. I use handbrake to transcode my vids. I have machete on there right now as an mkv file. Everything else is in mp4 but I just wanted t osee if it works and it does. Not sure what's up with yours. [running Froyo 2.2 and not rooted]

Special J

Banned
probably alot of developer pressure. more ram typically wont make the games look better especially on that resolution but greatly improve development speeds since they can be more sloppy with asset use.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Man said:
Shuhei Yoshida just reconfirmed on twitter:

yosp Shuhei Yoshida
そう、メインメモリが512MBで、VRAMが128MBです。

Hahaha, he totally had a word in the marketing department's ear.

In Shuhei we trust, etc. etc. :3

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
FINALLY, SOME GOOD NEWS.

I guess nothing can excuse Resistance's performance now. For a moment I thought "What if the game suffered from a recent spec cut?"

Mr_Brit

Banned
Special J said:
probably alot of developer pressure. more ram typically wont make the games look better especially on that resolution but greatly improve development speeds since they can be more sloppy with asset use.
Lol.

Zen

Banned
Alextended said:
Well, we don't know that yet, what kind of multitasking capabilities they have in mind for the OS and such. But it's plenty either way.

Unless Sony goes absolutely insane, there's no way that the Vita will come close to the OS overhead of a modern smartphone. That's not to say that Vita won't have multitasking ability, but the ram requirements will be nothing in comparison.

FoxSpirit

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
PSV would need to support the .mkv file container first. something i don't see happening without a custom app or something. it's a shame my galaxy s doesn't support them, and the VLC app seems like it will never come.

Werid, my S-II took this out of the box though I have to use mPlayer for proper subtitles. Did you try updating the firmware??

Garjon

Fair enough, I take my comment in the conference thread back. It just seems that certain developers (nihilistic) can't seem to be able to put it on the road. Interest in purchase rising. Still not a launch sale though (it'll take a monumentally good lineup for this)

Respawn

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
This just makes it more curious why Resistance had such awful textures, after seeing that footage I thought it had definitely got downgraded to 256mb.
Not sure if serious since we've seen a bunch of VITA games other than Resistance. Uncharted alone has magnificent textures.

Garjon said:
Fair enough, I take my comment in the conference thread back. It just seems that certain developers (nihilistic) can't seem to be able to put it on the road. Interest in purchase rising. Still not a launch sale though (it'll take a monumentally good lineup for this)
who knows how early that footage was

a1m

Banned
28328.gif

Argyle

btrboyev said:
yes, unless you count the iphone and ipad.

360 also has 512MB of RAM.

Doesn't the Vita has more RAM (640MB total) than any iPhone or iPad? (512MB)

Even the 360 doesn't have as much RAM (counting the 10mb framebuffer EDRAM, that is 522mb total...even though really you'll need to resolve pretty much anything in there to main ram to use it)

Instro

Weenerz said:
Why not throw 1gb in it? Cell phones are coming with that, and I'm sure the extra room would help in the long run.
Cell phones do not use the same type of RAM as gaming consoles, nor does it utilize much of said RAM for gaming purposes. Unnecessary.

Anyway, this is cool news. Although I still really don't think that the difference between the 512mb and 256mb would have had a significant impact gaming wise, and presumably this amount ram will be used for better OS/browser and other non-gaming applications.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Instro said:
Cell phones do not use the same type of RAM as gaming consoles, nor does it utilize much of said RAM for gaming purposes. Unnecessary.

Anyway, this is cool news. Although I still really don't think that the difference between the 512mb and 256mb would have had a significant impact gaming wise, and presumably this amount ram will be used for better OS/browser and other non-gaming applications.
Pretty sure Vita uses LPDDR2 like any other phone.

Respawn

Banned
Instro said:

Was about to post something like this.

Jin34

Argyle said:
Doesn't the Vita has more RAM (640MB total) than any iPhone or iPad? (512MB)

Even the 360 doesn't have as much RAM (counting the 10mb framebuffer EDRAM, that is 522mb total...even though really you'll need to resolve pretty much anything in there to main ram to use it)

To be fair those 10MB of edRAM on the gpu means a hell of a lot more than 10MB of the other ram.

Wow, that's actually some really good news.

I plan on buying the Vita whenever it's available in NA, this only bodes well for the longevity of the hardware.

Instro

Mr_Brit said:
Pretty sure Vita uses LPDDR2 like any other phone.
Well then I stand corrected if that's the case, not something you usually see in gaming hardware from what I know. May also explain why they went with 512mb if its a slower/lower grade of RAM.

Garjon said:
Why show it if it was old footage? That said, why show it at all?
to get people excited about a new game. There are some people that do like Resistance a lot and will just be excited that it's coming, then there are the more savvy people who should realize that it's probably old ass footage.

Gamers complain when we get titles announced with only a logo, but now we're getting mad for them being willing to show us something. Hellz nah.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Instro said:
Well then I stand corrected if that's the case, not something you usually see in gaming hardware from what I know. May also explain why they went with 512mb if its a slower/lower grade of RAM.
No idea. LPDDR2 is relatively cheap as well and is in mass production and used by tons of consumer devices. They seemed to have cash to spare for useless gimmicks like cameras and GPS so it's strange they didn't put extra VRAM in there.

FoxSpirit

Instro said:

Not to mention, my SGS-II baseline RAM-use:
330 MB. And there is only a single widget running which updates the weather every hour.
Enter the SMS area: 360 MB
The Samsung keyboard alone eats over 50MB of RAM.

If I substract the memory used by all the services, the OS itself eats up over 250MB of RAM all by itself.
HUGE.

patsu

Besides running non-games, and hosting mini game servers, more RAM is helpful for in-game user generated content too.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
xemumanic said:
AWESOME!

...................but wait

Why isn't it just unified? Or is there some detail I am missing?

The VRAM may be a different type of memory optimised more for the GPU.

Plus in either case it gives each set of processors lower latency access to its own memory, more bandwidth, less contention etc. There are advantages to non-unified setups.

Tobor

The Faceless Master said:
GPS only in 3G model is a joke nowadays.

only VGA cameras? really? REALLY?
GPS and 3G are on the same chip, it's all or nothing. Same as the iPad, and anything else that has a 3G and Wifi only model.

Gav47

AgentChris said:
http://i.imgur.com/X9TjN.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
Does she bite her lip in every gif?

This pretty good news, it makes me want an iPad less. I know the resolution of the screen isn't amazing for web browsing but it will suffice for watching a few youtube videos and quickly checking emails around the house.

xemumanic

gofreak said:
The VRAM may be a different type of memory optimised more for the GPU.

Plus in either case it gives each set of processors lower latency access to its own memory, more bandwidth, less contention etc. There are advantages to non-unified setups.

It's just that this makes me think of the PS3, and it's non-unified memory architecture really hurts it. But then, we all at first has heard 512MB unified, so this is better then that.......I guess???

Oh well, it's not a sore spot, that's for sure.

Top Bottom