• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated Vita Specs - including RAM (512MB+128MB confirmed)

whats the point of the camera anyway?

that augment shit looks like crap to me.

The only thing i can think off that would be kinda cool is head tracking, for cool true 3d display.

like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUC5JJCxx5k

Anyway i truly hope vita is a huge success in japan. I really want to see technical accomplished games that aren't on fucking 15 year old hardware.

Hyuga

Banned
drspeedy said:
yes, but how does it compare to WiiU?

am I doing it right?
2yjsfio.gif

Cruzader

Banned
Just got back from work.

Those complaining about the Ram(are you fucking kidding me? LOL) and the "low res" camera? Check out the price...$250.

Edit: before people think Im rude. Im just baffled that people would knit pick about such things considering the price of the machine. This is not a $400+ cellphone that you buy unlocked that has like 1GB ram. Also those phones might have 1GB of ram that they will never use properly. Most of the time, that ram wont be used for gaming more like multitasking using random apps.

Cruzader said:
Just got back from work.

Those complaining about the Ram(are you fucking kidding me? LOL) and the "low res" camera? Check out the price...$250.

$250 is too much for a dedicated gaming handheld.

Am I doing it right?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Cannot wait. Still hoping for reasonable prices on the memory. Preparing to be majorly disappointed.

Manaka

Ah, now that I ordered a 3DS I'm also warming up to the Vita - looks like with every generation I'm turning more and more into a handheld-only gamer (the amount of DS and PSP games I played compared to console games is mind boggling)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Plinko said:
Cannot wait. Still hoping for reasonable prices on the memory. Preparing to be majorly disappointed.

Memory is still the wild card for me. We don't know if we are gonna get stick included in the box, and we don't know how much it's gonna cost to buy one.

DieH@rd

Banned
Zzoram said:
Does this mean Vita can do PS3 graphics? Or is the CPU/GPU too weak?

Vita architecture is different from PS3. It is way more focused on processing only visible pixels [and on ignoring everything else]. Although it cant render as much geometry as PS3, it can shade pixels like motherf**er.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
CozMick said:
More ram than PS3 and 360! Sony got game!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the 360 use 512 megs of RAM, too?

Still, this is pretty sweet. As Bart Scott would say, can't wait!

Weenerz

Banned
Truespeed said:
Probably because those "cell phones" cost $600 unsubsidized.

Yep, that will do it, that extra 512mb of ram will cost you another $350! I see the light now, we are having a huge savings with only going with 512mb.

Confiture

Banned
twinturbo2 said:

Both ps3 and 360 have 512 (well 360 has 522 with the edram)
Vita has 512 main + 128 vram = 640 total

twinturbo2 said:

360 has 512 Shared Mem , vita has 512 System + 128 VRam

seb said:
Hmmm, I wonder if you could run a webkit browser with all that RAM... What do you think JEFF ?

Why would you do that... Plus we haven't seen Beeta's Browser, it could very well be webkit based?

Durante

The people comparing this against cell phones should also be aware of bandwidth concerns. I also have a Galaxy S2 and it's a very sexy machine, but I'm sure that between its 2 RAM pools Vita will have at least 3 times higher memory bandwidth. And that's really important to keep those 4 cores and the high-end GPU working.

FoxSpirit

Weenerz said:
Yep, that will do it, that extra 512mb of ram will cost you another $350! I see the light now, we are having a huge savings with only going with 512mb.

512MB SMD RAM ain't cheap, bub. And the Phone OSes are bloated. Like I said, Android on my SGS-II takes over 250 MB, and I have a regular "empty" Ram use of 340 megs with a single active widget, which takes about 2MB.

512 will be plenty for a mobile dedicated gaming device, even going forwards into the future.

acm2000 said:
how do we know these are update specs, and not just the original spec sheet?

Because they were confirmed and just sent out? Plus Yoshida reconfirmed on twitter?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Krauser Kat said:
Really just 512? Dont cell phones already have that much. 1gb is in the bionic coming in sept.
Just in case nobody replied with this, keep in mind that due to multitasking, there isn't a game on IPhone that is allowed to use more than 128MB of RAM, regardless of how much the device has. It could be even less than that, I'm not 100% sure, maybe even just 96MB. A device like this that is optimized around running one game at a time, won't have such limitation.

Also, cellphones typically have slower memory than this will have.

iceatcs

Code:
    Keys / Switches   PS button
    ---------------   Power button
                      Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)
                      Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square)
                      Shoulder buttons (Right/Left)
                      [B]Right stick, Left stick[/B]
                      START button, SELECT button
                      Volume buttons (+/-)

Is it mean you can click on both sticks?

thuway

As long as Sony can put in some sort of Skype / Facebook chat / unified text messaging app - I'll be so in :-O.

Mr_Brit

Banned
iceatcs said:
Code:
                      Volume buttons (+/-)

It's confirmed both sticks are non clickable.

acm2000 said:
how do we know these are update specs, and not just the original spec sheet?

It was mentioned in a press release issued today...and Yoshida has confirmed 512 mb main RAM/128 mb VRAM on Twitter.

Man said:
Shuhei Yoshida just reconfirmed on twitter:

yosp Shuhei Yoshida
そう、メインメモリが512MBで、VRAMが128MBです

iceatcs said:
Code:
                      Volume buttons (+/-)

It means there's 2 sticks...

iceatcs

Mr_Brit said:
It's confirmed both sticks are non clickable.
One reason I like this idea because if it has been used too much became very easy to click. DS3 can be easy replacement by just buy another. With Vita, hardly to replace.

At least there can be done with L3 & R3 by use on the touchscreen .

Mr_Brit

Banned
neptunes said:
All it needs is youtube flv/flash video capability and we're set
It will have a webkit browser with Cairo compatibility using SVG graphics which will let it hook into Youtube HTML5 so it can use CSS to play those vids. Thanks Jeff ;).

gogogow

Hyuga said:
GS2? You mean the Samsung Galaxy II?
You mean the 499€ mobile phone?
Samsung actually makes money on every (Samsung GSII) phone they sell you know....

Anyway, great news. Though I still wished Sony would go all out and had R2 and L2 triggers. Touching the screen for secondary fire is imo awkward/stupid in Resistance and very impratical. Depending on which arm you use, you can't strafe or walk and throw a grenade or use secondary fire at the same time. Maybe they should have used the rear touch panel.

Though I have zero interest in Resistance BS. I hope the controls are customizable for similar games.

M3Freak said:
No FLAC.

Fail.

how this is fail again ? MP3 is enough for head sets ... you need VERY GOOD headsets or a 5.1 system to enjoy FLACs to their rightfull glory anyway ...
Zen said:
Darn it Sony, you trolls! At least it has both sticks, we'll have to wait for PSAqua for clickable sticks.

Why do you want clickable sticks when you have a touch screen ??

Top Bottom